Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Show some respect to Benhart! He is a true comrade.

I'm sorry Benhart. Your quest ends too late and I want that beautiful raw sword now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Show some respect to Benhart! He is a true comrade.

I am! We share a common interest: a desire to smack all enemies with a sword (or hammer).

I did die to the mimic around the old knights like 3-4 times. Did you know their grab hit box is basically the entire balcony corner it hides in?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yup. You need to hit it twice from the side then back off until it goes active.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pushed forward a bit and discovered a nifty place to farm twinkling titanite. Guess I'll stay here a while. At least to max a few items I've been wanting to max.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Welp found the king wandering naked. I took his ring since he didn't seem to need it anymore. Boss was predictable enough and fell into the "smash with lightning craftsman hammer" category heavily armored enemies typically fall into. Guess I can use those doors now.

No where near as difficult as the bell ghosts and their wretched bell ringers. I died so many times to the room with the zombie in the offshoot...

Might have to farm up even more twinkling titanite for the kings guardian armor.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Don’t waste titanite on upgrading armor. Armor is for fashion, not protection.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You want to prioritise your favourite weapons but otherwise, eh, why not? Standard titanite becomes infinitely purchasable up to chunks, and slabs/twinkling/petrified dragon bone are all farmable. DS2 is probably the most generous in the series for upgrade mats.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Someone could run the numbers on it, but burning souls to upgrade your tissue armour feels like it'd do less than just saving them for a tenth of a levelup.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Well it’s percentage based so leveling heavy armor that already has lots of stats is more efficient than leveling something light, usually. If you’re going around in full Havel’s, or even just one piece, may as well throw it some extra points.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

People really undersell the difference decent armor makes in these games. It's not going to turn you into an unstoppable juggernaut but it can make the difference between winning and losing a tough fight (in a bad way, if you're in fat roll territory).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

axolotl farmer posted:

Don’t waste titanite on upgrading armor. Armor is for fashion, not protection.

Counterpoint: it's upgradeable and my lizard brain demands number go up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Unrelated, Aldia's Keep is drat horrifying. They nailed the vibes on that place perfectly. Crazy monster experimentation lab with an acid pit is right up my alley.

Once I'm done exploring it I'll light the torches the signs say you definitely shouldn't should do.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Light all the torches, everywhere.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

Light all the torches, everywhere.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dark Souls 2 doesn't get enough credit for having the best preorder exclusives in gaming. I imagine the executives at Bandai Namco said they needed to create some so From just made some worthless swords with weird dumb blobs on them. Probably the lowest possible amount of fomo, look at this poo poo

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Pretty standard Monster Hunter SnS sets tbh.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

Dark Souls 2 doesn't get enough credit for having the best preorder exclusives in gaming. I imagine the executives at Bandai Namco said they needed to create some so From just made some worthless swords with weird dumb blobs on them. Probably the lowest possible amount of fomo, look at this poo poo

Those are solid DS2 weapons.

Blacksmith clearly forgot what they were doing, dropped the sword in the molten metal pot, then pulled it out thinking "yeah that looks good."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There are some actual useful items in there. The black flamestone dagger is very good DPS with much better range than normal daggers, the transgressor's shield has really high dark resist (can hit 100% if infused) and strong stability for a small shield, and the homunculus mace is a solid strike weapon that does a bit more damage than a regular mace.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah but they're ugly so I'll never use them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paying2Lurk posted:

Yeah but they're ugly

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Climbed to the top of dragon shrine, defeated the fatties, made some friends, and got all amped to kill the big dragon.

Nope he gives you a thing then pretends you're not there. Can I kill it anyway or does that lock you into an ending?

Did find a cool great axe. Seems like an appropriate weapon to smash things with. The skull on a stick was better imo but the R2 pancake maker drains the durability too much for my liking.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can just attack him if you want. It doesn’t affect your ending and there is a reward which is mildly useful for a specific purpose. It’s a bad and boring fight though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skasion posted:

You can just attack him if you want. It doesn’t affect your ending and there is a reward which is mildly useful for a specific purpose. It’s a bad and boring fight though.

Same as the other dragons? Stay under the poop chute, smash the leg not trying to step on you? They've been pretty boring straight up in melee like that.

Guardian dragon was cool since it flew up onto the walls and screamed shoot poison arrows. Other ones either were poop chute or hide behind stuff with poison arrows.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Ancient Dragon is a terrible and unfair fight if you fight it straight. It will one shot kill you with a breath attack that you can only avoid by running away at the first telegraphed signal, which you won't see because it's player vs. camera fight.

There is an easy cheese for it. Don't feel ashamed to look it up, because no one likes to fight the Ancient Dragon straight.

Lore: The Ancient Dragon isn't actually a dragon. It's another result of Aldia's terrible experiments on giants, just like Scorpion people, Ogres and the horse that pulls the Undead Chariot

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It’s also a straight up ally to you, so there’s no real need to fight it. You can do the thing its drop makes easier just as well without it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

It’s also a straight up ally to you, so there’s no real need to fight it. You can do the thing its drop makes easier just as well without it.

Oh, is that so, Uncle "Son of the Dragon"?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll let the dragon live. Not totally sure what I'm doing next. I guess get sucked into the past via tree/dead giant? Wasn't much telling me what to do with the dragon thingy.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Elissimpark posted:

Oh, is that so, Uncle "Son of the Dragon"?

Leave me out of this. Ah! Ah! Ah!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mustached Demon posted:

I'll let the dragon live. Not totally sure what I'm doing next. I guess get sucked into the past via tree/dead giant? Wasn't much telling me what to do with the dragon thingy.

Also a good time to do the DLC zones if you haven’t yet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah, you can enter the giant's memories though the trees.

Also you can go enter Vendrick's memories by going to where he's circling around.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skasion posted:

Also a good time to do the DLC zones if you haven’t yet.

I found a couple I think. It's those weird light things after a few areas, right? They teleport you to a door that's locked without the key item.

Is there a very obvious point of no return for the finale? Like past that it's the ending then ng+? I got burned in DS1: killed Gywn without doing dlc so I had to go through a new character to do it (wanted to on ng).

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 7, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Good news, there's no gotcha. You have to manually select "take me to NG+" after beating the game to start it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Something they decided not to have in bloodborne :mad:

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
From loves nothing more than throwing away QOL. Where are the bonfire ascetics!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Defeated the giant lord and I guess it's finale time going by the giant lord drops text.

Or I go do dlc. Probably go do dlc.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Mustached Demon posted:

Unrelated, Aldia's Keep is drat horrifying. They nailed the vibes on that place perfectly. Crazy monster experimentation lab with an acid pit is right up my alley.

Once I'm done exploring it I'll light the torches the signs say you definitely shouldn't should do.

it’s a level with superb vibes and slapstick comedy moments, i only wish it were bigger

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

:getin:

You will have the best of times, but also the blurst of times.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Defeated the giant lord and I guess it's finale time going by the giant lord drops text.

Also, say so if you want a spoiler for an optional thing that can be done before the ending and that you'll very likely miss otherwise.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Also, say so if you want a spoiler for an optional thing that can be done before the ending and that you'll very likely miss otherwise.

Does it involve killing the king? Killing him seems pretty optional I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Does it involve killing the king? Killing him seems pretty optional I guess.
:hmmyes: