Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ironsights posted:

Turns out refunding your Steam preorder only puts money back in your Steam wallet. Oh well I'm sure I'll spend it on something else anyway. Thanks for the GMG discount.

That kinda sucks, but I guess its to prevent people from just pre-ordering literally everything and then cancelling things on the last day if they don't actually want them or something.

pmchem posted:

I agree, this message below is worded terribly:

Yeah I don't loving know anymore. I'm just gonna try to log on thursday and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Their Facebook just posted a couple hours ago that;

Dark Souls Facebook posted:

Dark Souls II on PC unlocks on Steam at the following times:
4/24 - - 3:00 PM PDT
4/24 - - 6:00 PM EDT

With no mention of their ridiculous wording or server specific nonsense earlier, so... :shrug:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Those times are equivalent to 8:00 AM 4/25 AEST, so it sounds like it's unlocked globally at that time. What doesn't make sense is the assertion that Australia/NZ "will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC", I'm assuming that was just misinformed or something.

I've managed to keep myself mostly dark (learned a few tips on mechanics, totally oblivious to story/locations/enemies) and I'm really hyped for tomorrow. What's everyone's first class going to be? I'm thinking of going Explorer since all its pre-allocated stat points are in generally useful stats like Vigor/Vitality/Adaptability, meaning I can customize for Str, Dex, magic or whatever based on what I find. I imagine it'll be a little tougher at the start but have excellent flexibility in the long run.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm gunna be a wizard, as it is the one standard start I haven't done on consoles.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Steam is also still reporting an unlock at 3pm tomorrow afternoon, so we might be able to play the rest of the day in offline mode? Actually this sort of looks like they're basically doing our VPN work for us in a way.

That news bit about the servers must have been put through 5 different loving languages in babelfish.

Gazaar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 23, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Orv posted:

With no mention of their ridiculous wording or server specific nonsense earlier, so... :shrug:

yeah. I love how they posted that on the "darksouls" account which is only visible if you login to Facebook instead of say, the "darksoulsii" account which is publicly visible. I'm gonna assume we're actually playing an online DS2 tomorrow afternoon US TZ and that whoever wrote that original announcement is just terrible at phrasing.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Gazaar posted:

Steam is also still reporting an unlock at 3pm tomorrow afternoon, so we might be able to play the rest of the day in offline mode? Actually this sort of looks like they're basically doing our VPN work for us in a way.

That news bit about the servers must have been put through 5 different loving languages in babelfish.

Store page says it will unlock in approximately 1 day and 1 hour from this post, which coincides with April 24th, 6pm EDT, or 10pm GMT.

I'm going into it entirely blind though, just like the first one. I have no idea on starting classes, but I know generally what the stats will do. No idea what I'll pick first.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Orv posted:

I'm gunna be a wizard, as it is the one standard start I haven't done on consoles.

If you're gonna follow the pure caster route, be prepared for a rough start. OTOH, you will be a demigod in late-mid and endgame.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Das Butterbrot posted:

If you're gonna follow the pure caster route, be prepared for a rough start. OTOH, you will be a demigod in late-mid and endgame.

Yeah it won't be pure caster, I'll grab a mace early on to carry me until I get to the not-poo poo spells.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In my opinion, the only way to play a Souls (or King's Field) for the first time is pure melee as much as possible. Especially if you skimp on the HP.

Gives you a very early appreciation for how to dodge various attacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ I agree. Your first run should be Claymore + Shield = Come at me bro :black101:

Dark Souls has better melee combat than like... everything. So why wouldn't you enjoy that?

Silly poo poo like magic or crossbows are fun but that's for later runs.

Orv posted:

I'm gonna go cleric for the same reason.

Started swordsman on my first run and had a pretty good go of it. Starting with +1 weapons is really nice, although that class has the lowest starting health (below deprived!!)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

What hours are these for us dirty Euros?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
If it is anything like every other game release just vpn to the first region it unlocks for and start the game up one time. Then exit out the vpn and start up normally to play.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Mans posted:

What hours are these for us dirty Euros?

10 PM GMT

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I already played through the console version so it won't be a first run, per se, but I'm thinking of running as a spellsword. That is, using weapon enchants, infusions, and the minimum STR/DEX to wield weapons. Should be pretty fun!

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Probably gonna go with Explorer and then turn into Indiana Jones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I already played through the console version so it won't be a first run, per se, but I'm thinking of running as a spellsword. That is, using weapon enchants, infusions, and the minimum STR/DEX to wield weapons. Should be pretty fun!

Did this my first run stacking Magic Mastodon Greatsword or whatever its called with Greater Magic Weapon and it hit pretty drat hard.

Tried Dark Weapon but it didn't do as much, but that's because I didn't understand that hexes worked off the lower of int or faith, not both together like pyro does.

I'm still not sure if I'll focus on faith or dark this time around. Seemed like there were some cool faith spells though that other people were using in jolly co-op, and I really enjoyed playing a Paladin in DS1 even with what few spells we had.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

King of Solomon posted:

Be sure to farm the Leydia Pyromancers aka those hooded mage phantoms in Undead Crypt to get the best weapon for that playstyle Blue Flame, a sword that you can use to cast sorceries

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Das Butterbrot posted:

Be sure to farm the Hooded Mage Phantoms in Undead Crypt to get the best weapon for that playstyle Blue Flame, a sword that you can use to cast sorceries

I figured I was just going to run around with a club/longsword/etc. and catalysts to enchant said weapon. That's not a bad idea, though.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Is the whole thing where you lose a chunk of your health when you die as dumb unnecessary bullshit as it sounds?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is the whole thing where you lose a chunk of your health when you die as dumb unnecessary bullshit as it sounds?

No. You get a lot of human effigies, and even if you die enough times where you completely run out and fully hollow, the game has a Cling Ring equivalent to keep you at 75% of max.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

It's mostly unnecessary because it doesn't really impact the game much at all unless you're a massive sinner or are deliberately doing a gimmick build.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I played 30 hours on console and it seemed like a mechanic to encourage you to go human every 6~ deaths.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

There's a ring you can get that limits it to losing 75% of your max HP, and other, repairable rings you can get that nullify the effects of death (you keep souls, don't go hollow on death). They break whenever you die but it's only 3k souls to repair them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Just get used to the idea that 25% of your max health doesn't actually exist and don't worry about it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Tallgeese posted:

In my opinion, the only way to play a Souls (or King's Field) for the first time is pure melee as much as possible. Especially if you skimp on the HP.

Gives you a very early appreciation for how to dodge various attacks.

I played many, many hours of Dark Souls, and standing back to cast magic missile at dudes just never felt right. I may give magic a try later in the game, but even as a balanced class like the Explorer, I'll be doing melee combat first and foremost.

DS2 has the same general set of actions, in the sense that there's blocking, roll-dodging, parrying, backstabbing, and kicking/bashing, right? I know the engine changes mean a lot of the timings and such will be different, but are they fundamentally the same? How does the dual-wield "power stance" work, can you block and/or parry from that?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It's fine. It never goes below 50%, there's something you can use to limit the effect (and thing you can abuse to prevent it entirely).

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Basically your max health really doesn't matter all that much when most of your health comes from your guaranteed source of healing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nibble posted:

I played many, many hours of Dark Souls, and standing back to cast magic missile at dudes just never felt right. I may give magic a try later in the game, but even as a balanced class like the Explorer, I'll be doing melee combat first and foremost.

DS2 has the same general set of actions, in the sense that there's blocking, roll-dodging, parrying, backstabbing, and kicking/bashing, right? I know the engine changes mean a lot of the timings and such will be different, but are they fundamentally the same? How does the dual-wield "power stance" work, can you block and/or parry from that?

Parrying is a lot harder (basically use a small shield or a curved sword or don't bother), and yes you still have a shield bash. Blocking got nerfed pretty hard, and rolling is really bad with low ADP.

You can power stance two weapons if you hit 1.5x the base requirements to equip the weapons. Parrying with power stance depends on the weapon, usually no.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

No. You get a lot of human effigies, and even if you die enough times where you completely run out and fully hollow, the game has a Cling Ring equivalent to keep you at 75% of max.

And there's a couple of ways around needing effigies if you look hard enough. Unless you're an rear end in a top hat who kills every NPC he finds, it should be nearly impossible to be stuck without being able to go human in order to summon sunbros for aid.

Nibble posted:

No block/parrying when in power-stance. Blocking in general is a bit less useful than base DS1, more along the lines of Oolacile. Especially if dual-wielding. Just treat every enemy like he's Artorias.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nibble posted:

The kick is now a shorter range backhand which confers the same effects, everything else is the same, though parrying has a smaller window. You can riposte from a guard break (the backhand) now, instead of just a parry. Cannot parry in power stances.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

And there's a couple of ways around needing effigies if you look hard enough. Unless you're an rear end in a top hat who kills every NPC he finds, it should be nearly impossible to be stuck without being able to go human in order to summon sunbros for aid.

No block/parrying when in power-stance. Blocking in general is a bit less useful than base DS1, more along the lines of Oolacile. Especially if dual-wielding. Just treat every enemy like he's Artorias.

Not entirely true; some weapons (i.e. a couple of the rapiers) have an r2 parry so if you're power stancing with that in your right hand you can still parry.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even as someone who has issues discerning +25FPS, this looks nice. (Make sure you actually set it to 1080/60.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 23, 2014

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The only bad thing about that really is just how apparent the lovely audio quality is :ohdear:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The audio quality in 2 is crazy inconsistent, but mostly not that great. There is some good stuff though.

I just can't wait for all you guys who didn't play the console version to be driven slowly mad by the grass in Things Betwixt.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
So what's up with the weird release timeline? Is it an actual midnight release for a timezone or is it as random as it seems.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Parrying has a smaller window? I was just barely starting to be competent at it in Dark Souls, sounds like I'll be back to square one :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nibble posted:

Parrying has a smaller window? I was just barely starting to be competent at it in Dark Souls, sounds like I'll be back to square one :(

Yeah they've decreased it with each iteration. On the bright side, there are fewer attacks like the crazy freak out hollows do in 1, but it's also usually just easier to dodge than parry anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I'm going to want to try out this power stance thing, does that lend itself to more STR or DEX weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

If I'm going to want to try out this power stance thing, does that lend itself to more STR or DEX weapons?

Either. You can dual wield most weapon classes, and even mix and match some. You can roll with two daggers, or two gently caress-off giantdad clubs.