Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Can we get a title change?

Dark Souls II - I'll remember you forever, Lucille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Running past enemies like a madman is a viable strategy too.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Just another sign of DS2's greatness, it has NPC invaders that troll you and makes you do stupid stuff instead of just trying to stab you to death.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The skeletons in Majula mansion drop effigies, but they respawn only with bonfire ascetics. The more ascetics you burn, the more effigy dropping skeletons appear, to a certain limit.

If you bear all the DLC main bosses (Sinh, Burnt Ivory King, Fume Knight) and then beat and visit Vendrick, you get an item that turns you permanently human.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Just hit the skellies with something blunt. NG+ stats isn’t a problem since you can just run away back into the mansion to heal if you need.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

lol sorry bout that!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I like the Sinh fight, the only dragon fight where the dragon is the enemy rather than the camera.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Why would anything make sense in DS2? The world is about to end again, geography and time is completely wrecked. Humans are going hollow, and even the sane ones are so far gone they are all severe amnesiacs.

Almost no one talks about the other strange elevator, you reach the top of Aldia's keep, step outside into the bright sunshine, take an elevator up to a floating rockscape full of dragons with a floating castle at the other end. None of this is visible from the ground, where it's permanent dusk and foggy.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There's a new kind of magic called Hexes in DS2. You will meet the Hex weirdo a bit into the game, and if you have enough of both INT and FTH he will give you the best and best looking catalyst in the game. Hexes are awesome.

Enemies will start to disappear if killed more than 12 times. There's a covenant that will stop enemies from despawning if you want to farm for something.

Bonfire ascetics are a new thing. Toss it into a bonfire and the whole area will be reset and thrown into NG+. Steel chests won't reset, but wooden chests, enemies and bosses. There are some items that only appear in NG+ that you can get by burning ascetics. Can't be undone, and will get another NG++ level for each ascetic.

Parries are weird, timing is weird, and you have to wait for the enemy to fall on their rear end until you can riposte.

You can get invaded without being in human form. Both by NPCs and humans. There are a lot of NPC invaders, some which will come back for you when you least expect.

Majula is the best and chillest place in any video game.

Enjoy the setting sun, and Don't give up, skeleton!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Go online. Jolly cooperation in DS2 is really fun.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I forgot why I went to…Drangleic? Anyway, Majula is chill, and there was something I was looking for, ’seek, seek, lest’ or something, but that’s not inportant now since we are all dead and hollow anyway, ha ha ha.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

One of the worst crimes of DS2 was hiding the good pyromancy within NG++ or an inpossible pvp covenant challenge.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Doesn’t work. You need to be in NG++ to buy the Great Chaos Fireball from the ghost guy.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Serephina posted:

Yea, but is there any gear I should be burning ascetics for to find? I'm still on my first playthrough, but if there's like a ring of really useful +2 or a totally awesome light armour set or bow I'd to know about it.

Dukes Dear Freya if you want the real FROM weapon.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Raylax posted:

Every time I look at this thread I learn a new cool thing about dark souls 2 and immediately want to abandon all my well-laid plans for the next month and sink another hundred hours into it

Donut give up, skeleton!

DS2 is great because there’s so much stuff to do and weird gear to try out.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There is also the Pursuer cheese glitsch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buXHb2joZP4

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

DS3 is tighter, lots of annoying stuff removed, qol-optimized, and has just the right amount of DS1 fan service.

It’s so tight that there’s not many ways to play it.

DS2 has ALL THE STUFF! Weird new fun mechanics, fashion, cheap upgrades, lots and lots of build options, weapons and paths through the game. All the wonderful jank.

They are both great games, but where DS3 is the ’better’ game, DS2 is the most FUN Dark souls.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

giZm posted:

Do not skip this one.

Emptyquote

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Next up, ymfah beats DS2 with only 4 1/2 A-press.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I like the clutter in DS3. It’s the end of the end of the world, and all the dust and debris is piling up.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I remeber Lucyliu, she was Mr Watson on Sherlocks Angels!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I started a sorcery run, and run into a few things:

The "advanced" sorceries, like Soul Spear and Soul Vortex have so few casts compared to the damage they make that they are useless compared to just stacking up on Great Heavy Soul Arrows.

Yearn is completely useless, not even the dogs at the Bastille seems to go for it.

DLC mobs are more or less immune to magic. So I respecced and put enough into muscle to use the Dark Cryptsword. It looks like an ironing board and hits like a truck. Pretty fun!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Hey, I got two Blue flames, maybe I should go upgrade them a bit!

I decided to to the DLCs right after Velstadt, so there's a chunk of main game left for sorceries.

Did a hexer run with the Moonlight Greatsword for DLCs earlier. That was a fun build. Also the STR powerstancing Zweihander and Claymore.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Everyone who hasn’t done a DS2 hexer run should totally do a hexer run for Return to Drangleic.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A melee weapon is neccessary for the DLCs unless you actually enjoy plink damage bad time.

Hexes + MLGS = good times :getin:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

DS3 is the technically best game in the series, with regards to balance, tight gameplay and quality of life stuff.

DS2 is the most fun game with the best fashion souls, weirdo npcs, huge build variety and just all round lots of things to do and lots of different ways to play.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Worst parts of DS1 are the long hikes because you forgot to optimize your route pre-lordvessel.

Also the parts that are objectively bad.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I wouldn’t mind going back to base DS2 as an unremixed version. Might be fun. Been so long! What’s the easiest way to do that?

Get the .iso and RPCS3

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm forever mad how hard they made it to get fkugs in ds3 lol, that stupid npc owned me all the time.

Tsorig is a huge chump. Lure him away up the stairs and across the catwalk. Climb up the ladder a bit and the Black Knight will pick a fight with him.

Or use any kind of spell.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If you hit a wooden chest too hard, the things inside will turn to rubbish.

Bonfire ascetics will send the current zone to NG+. This will respawn all monsters and bosses, and wooden but not metal chests. There is some new and very good loot in NG+ zones.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

DS2 is incredibly broken by speedrunners and the weirdest challenge runners.

Watch BeAnd do a bonkers run beating all bosses in reverse, starting with Aldia and working his way down the list. It involves a lot of parrywalking, ladder zipping and at one point glitching a save state to make Nashandra alive while Aldia is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_J9Ar6FUo

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Rush Heide’s, first a suicide run for the binding ring. Next cheese the dragonrider, send fake miracle lady to Majula.

A nice bunch of souls to dump into ADP.

Then start murdering.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Who’s this Lucille person anyway? Keh heh heh heh…

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I have found the large club. Hello, old friend, you and me did wonderful things together in Lordran.

Might work towards using it instead of the mace.

Beware, the DS2 large club has termites. It will break during a boss fight even if it was 100% durability at the fog gate.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Any recommendations on what to do with these bonfire ascetics? Items like this give me decision paralysis: they feel like megalixers.

If you use magic, burn one for the Bonelords. You will get a ring that speeds up casting.

Also burn one for Freya for the awesomest looking sword in FROM gaming. Not a fake!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Run along the edge there with a torch and look down. Or just look for clumps of Player messages.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Don’t waste titanite on upgrading armor. Armor is for fashion, not protection.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Ancient Dragon is a terrible and unfair fight if you fight it straight. It will one shot kill you with a breath attack that you can only avoid by running away at the first telegraphed signal, which you won't see because it's player vs. camera fight.

There is an easy cheese for it. Don't feel ashamed to look it up, because no one likes to fight the Ancient Dragon straight.

Lore: The Ancient Dragon isn't actually a dragon. It's another result of Aldia's terrible experiments on giants, just like Scorpion people, Ogres and the horse that pulls the Undead Chariot

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Or I go do dlc. Probably go do dlc.

:getin:

You will have the best of times, but also the blurst of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Linking the fire: the world reboots. The undead are gone for a while. New kingdoms rise. It’s not going to last. Look at Gwyn’s arena, the whole area is burnt, everyting in the Kiln of the first flame is melted and covered in ash. When you link the flame, the fire is big, but nothing like Gwyn’s. By DS3, you can barely set yourself on fire by linking the flame. The undead is going to come back in a couple of months. Bad idea.

Walking away: another kind if reboot. The gods have less power, and the descants of Manus/the Furtive pygmy/humans have more. Eventually the fire comes back and so will the undead.

Siding with Yuria: the first flame and undead curse is usurped by the Londor gang. Humans will go undead, but stay sane while hollowing. You get to be the Final boss when someone finally tires of all this.