Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Fina posted:

Awesome, I wasn't sure when GMG would hand out the keys and the fact that it's already pre-loading is even better.

Now I'm just annoyed that the game is launching on a Friday instead of a Tuesday like every other game ever.

Now you know what every european feels when any video game launches :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

e: dang 2 threads :argh:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The only bad thing about that really is just how apparent the lovely audio quality is :ohdear:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

If any brits missed the GMG discount you can still grab it at ShopTo for £28. I got my steam key from them earlier today.

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/download/DWNLD34675-dark-souls-ii-preorder

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Reading the other thread, I never really understood what ascetics did. They make the area the next level of difficulty up and respawn all the enemies?

Exactly. You need them for farming black phantoms for rare equipment and they only spawn once on every NG+

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Linux Nazi posted:

So I am still playing through this on PS3, taking my sweet time. I am seriously like 60 hours in cause I play this like I played old school metroids and just wander and investigate every nook.

I've not even come close to finishing, I expect I'm maybe halfway though.

I'm going to restart on PC, but this time I want to try out some of the newer combat mechanics. Is it possible in DS2 to effectively play though without using a shield? I'd love to carry around a big gently caress-off 2-hander. I'd like to go with a dex build that has some magic defensive and healing utility.

Are there any builds that complement this? Is it a dumb idea?

Every build is viable really and you're never screwing yourself out of a certain playstyle because you can just reallocate your points with a soul vessel later if you feel like a different build.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

VPN'd into Japan and it has to download another 300mb :argh:

e- Turned off the VPN while it was updating, steam reconnected and I just launched the game :dance:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 24, 2014

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh god the framerate :fap:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Where can it be found, by the way?

There's not just one. It's just a rare item you can collect throughout the game and you take it to the old hags at the very start of the game to reallocate all your points.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

:siren: Let's get this party started :siren:

I would hecka stream if I knew how.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Higher resolution already paying for itself :allears:

http://i.imgur.com/HJPulvp.png

How did she even see out of this thing?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

For anyone wondering about loading times. I installed it on my 500gb SSD. From the start of the loading screen to the end is about 3 seconds.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Took a few hours but I finally farmed it all. Man it looks good on PC.

:getin:

(Too had I have no vit to wear it :cripes:)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Was it confirmed that your ingame name is your steam name? Because I put down my white summon sign and when I checked it just showed my characters name.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Whoops. Hit L1 by mistake when I had dark fog selected and hit the blacksmith in majula right in the face with a huge cloud of poison :I

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It took 18 ascetics but I finally did it.

The mad goat warrior :getin:

(by comparison, I got this on PS3 in one kill in NG from merciless Roenna without even realising how rare it is)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Oh man I hope I can get another large club before NG+, it's powerstance has to be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OybT0-Ui5a0

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Sometimes you see ghosts that make you question reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7TMGNdOXI

This is one of those times

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Bleeding!

(press select on your controller)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

You know I think I completely out levelled NG. SL135 and 2.6 million SM. I guess rushing through the game because I put 200 hours into the ps3 version wasn't the best idea :I

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Welp. Anyone heard anything about hackers yet because I just ran into a guy who didn't take damage from a great resonant soul to the chest. He wasn't dodging and there was no lag.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Yep. People already hacking. Just invaded the same guy again in belfry sol who wasn't taking any damage from any attacks and just walked around with an avelyn shooting me and another phantom.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Made a new character called Blue Man Group. Made him all blue and plan to do a dual caestus strongman run. Put down a small white sign and got summoned then the 3 of us managed to kill the pursuer and I accidentally killed the host with the fire bomb shortcut. Whoops!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Oh god the thunder sound from the Looking Glass Knight's lightning attack does not obey volume settings

Hahah yeah that scared the poo poo out of me the first time it happened.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

If I kicked your rear end in belfry luna I'm sorry.

(I'm not sorry being a muscle wizard is too much fun)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

BLUE MAN GROUP LIVE AT THE BELFRY LUNA FOR ONE DAY ONLY!

Tickets available at the door. One titanite chunk per person.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

All of the proactive invasion based pvp (blue/red) is all dependant on the covenant of blood. The only way to get cracked red eye orbs in NG is by winning 1v1 duels at the undead purgatory. Once someone has invaded and killed 10 hosts they are labelled as a sinner. Only when that happens can blue sentinels can invade and if they kill the host, the host loses one point of sin.

There are practically no invasions in NG because the amount of effort required to get the cracked red orbs is more than the measly reward you get for killing the host. Fromsoft wanted more multiplayer interaction in DS2 but at the same time completely destroyed red phantom invasions until NG+

If there's no red phantom invasions there's no sin
If there's no sin there's no blue sentinels
If there's no blue sentinels the way of the blue is rendered useless

Also levelling the covenant of blood is completely rear end backwards. If you lose an invasion you can actually go into negative progress. Also losses from duels and invasions stack and the wins don't stack so you basically have to be some kind of pvp dark souls savant god with a 200%+ winrate otherwise you will never level up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

What? Blue Man Group is evolving!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

People who gloat about darkwraiths not being able to SL1 invade any more don't realise the knock on effect with the entire rest of the game. If there are no darkwraiths then the blue sentinens and way of the blue is completely pointless.

Someone megamuling and then suiciding to give you 500k souls fucks you over permanently. Low level invading doesn't.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Has anyone used the voice chat for sunbroing? Is it as terrible as I imagine?

I got summoned as a shade to someone's world and they were watching some terrible hospital soap drama on TV.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Sydin posted:

Right, gently caress Harvest Valley. Did I miss a set somewhere with good poison resist? Seriously it's like the the DS1 swamp but only worse, because now if you're poisoned you lose your health in like five seconds. I mean okay I have like 10 poison clumps, and I found Gavlan chilling in a hole to wheel and deal me some more, but I feel like even that is going to be all gone by the time I'm done with this place.

Popping a lifegem will completely negate the poison damage for maybe half of the duration. You can also stand in poison while it ticks down and it won't count against it. Just make sure you're out of it when it resets.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

pmchem posted:

How do you tell how many titanite chunks you have, if none of your items need chunks for upgrades (yet) at the smith?

There's an inventory tab with all of your upgrade materials.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

You can stunlock Mytha in Earthen Peak with powerstanced maces L2. That fight was kind of trivialised when I found that out!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Things that are really fun. Guard breaking someone hiding behind a tower shield in belfry luna and then swapping to a +9 dagger with the super high crit damage and one shotting them with the riposte :getin:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Congratulations! Blue Man Group evolved into MURDER FLY!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

How far into the game will I need to get before I can buy a spell to enhance my caestuses and be a true Muscle Wizard? I just got into No Man's Wharf and I've met a Miracle vendor, but no sorceries, and said vendor didn't have any enchantments anyway. :(

The only enhancement you need is more fist.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

From a page back, but Im pretty sure I got invaded by you in Bellfry earlier today.

I was the sorcerer that tried to hide with chameleon beside the gnome, as I was chatting with a friend, and didnt see the invasion message.

lol yeah that was you, I saw you in the corner from the stairs so I knew you were there :haw:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

This loving netcode. Backstab a guy and then circle around and stand in front of him. He attacks me before he's even stood up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

You can juke the magic in amana by slowly walking left and then right. If you want bullshit homing magic try the white mages in tseldora. Their poo poo can loving pull 360's through doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Guys I think my character backfired. Went to visit straid in full butterfly armour. used the branch of yore and then alt tabbed out and sort of forgot I was wearing armour that poisons friendly NPCs. Only noticed when I heard him say "you dare to challenge me?" and then cast a spell. Whoops :I