Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just started this game and I am not a fan of the D.E.N.N.I.S. system

D - Disrupt player
E - Exterminate ruthlessly
N - Nuke with spells
N - Never back down
I - Invade incessantly
S - Souls are forfeit

I eventually used one of the seeds that grow on the tree to aggro enemies on him and kited him through the hammer bros until he was dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There's also one in the shaded woods to get a key to free Ornifex for boss weapons

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'd say I misremembered but I just finished my first playthrough of DS2 two days ago :ignorance:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any suggestions on where I should go? There's a poo poo-ton of paths and I'm honestly pretty confused at this point.

• Currently in the Shaded ruins.
  • I need to kill the boss in Sinner's Rise.
  • In forest of the Giants there's a bunch of fire-breathing lizards I haven't been able to reach. Also a door that need's a king's.. something? And a bonfire close to a shut portcullis that seems like it should lead to something
  • There's a bonfire by Targray surrounded by illusion messages.
  • No Man's Wharf: I think I need a wheel for a contraption in the docks nearby.
  • Another 2 locked doors in Shaded Forest.
  • I can open a path in Majula in a revolving room and of course there's the well that needs a ladder.
  • Finally in the lost Bastille there's an elevator down to a ship I can't reach.

E: Shaded woods was nerve-wracking but at least I got some satisfaction out of trolling invaders by using the illusion talisman. That place is already horrible enough. Get hosed! :v:

To save you some head scratching: No Man's Wharf is one of the access points to the Lost Bastille, and it drops you off at the jetty with the boat you've found. Sounds like you approached another way (from the air?)

Anything involving the sign of the king can be safely ignored for now.

Keep exploring the Shaded Woods and Ruins - there should be ways you can press forward there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

christmas boots posted:

There's also a well in Majula, don't forget about that.

Also while it's helpful, a ladder isn't mandatory to survive the descent into the well...

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Her?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The top of Earthen Peak (mountain fortress covered in windmills) has an elevator that goes up even further. It takes you to the Old Iron Keep, a fortress sinking into a sea of lava.

This makes absolutely no sense physically and depending on your perspective it's either the game's dreamlike setting eroding the logic of the world or evidence that DS2 was a hack job assembled by b team frauds.

Personally I kind of like it as an example of DS2 evoking things from DS1 (in this case the ascent from Sen's Fortress to Anor Londo) in a way that's distorted and wrong.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah I didn't get invaded very often in my DS2 playthrough - mostly in the endgame DLC areas which is where you'd expect that. If you are worried about invasion remember that unlike DS1 you don't reverse hollowing at a bonfire, just use the human effigy from your inventory. This means you can save it for when you get to a fog wall and minimise the risk of invasion / dying to some trash mob. Getting invaded can be fun though, even if (like me) you suck and usually die.

I was invaded in Shulva around the bonfire with pillars you can raise and lower by shooting targets. I waited until he'd almost jumped across to me and then dropped the adjacent pillars to strand him and ran the gently caress away.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

John Murdoch posted:

Invasions are always on by default, has nothing to do with your humanity status.

Oh yeah, that's right. I've just finished DS3 so it's difficult to keep the invasion mechanics across the series straight in my head.

My favourite invader had the username "NOT TODAY". It was accurate.

I don't know if this is what you're referring to with the salamander room but DS2 was initially going to have a much more advanced lighting engine with torches being integral to gameplay. Some of that design philosophy has survived in certain areas but the lighting itself had to be drastically simplified at some point in development to deliver a playable framerate on consoles. As such there were early screenshots where the game looked very different to the final product and people complained about a graphical downgrade.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

dodgeblan posted:

dark souls 2 has the souls wackiness that was mostly discarded with dark souls 3 and bloodborne

lots of weird short men and rats who give you strange pvp quests

you wish to guard the bell?

I feel like at least part of the slow burn appreciation for DS2 is that it's the most thematically consistent entry in the series. All of the trilogy have settings that are decaying but Drangleic is absolutely coming apart at the seams in a way that distorts geography and eats away at the memories of those who journey there (poor, uh, Lucinda?). And at the centre of it all is Vendrick, a king whose mind is so throughly decayed that all he can do is wander obliviously about his throne room.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah, you may recognize him as the "but steel is heavier than feathers" guy, or from this meme:

me playing in bed on the Steam Deck when the Bandai Namco screen appears

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Level ADP (it determines dodge iframes and flask drinking speed)
Don't be afraid to use lifegems as the game showers you with them
The class that starts with a shield is a trap because they also have a terrible broken weapon. You can find a very good weapon immediately after the tutorial area but DS2 really wants you to abandon hiding behind a shield and I was too much of a coward to listen at first

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

My one rule in souls games is to neglect levelling HP and DS2 was no exception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

FishMcCool posted:

It's a good thing there's a preamble above the picture, because otherwise that kinda seemed legit. Like, you can kill everything in Majula except for Shalquoir, she knows all about you and your quest, and she sells you stuff that a cat has no business with (tbf cats so tend to acquire a lot of poo poo they have no business with) in exchange for souls. She talks too, but that might be the least abnormal thing about her.

Also you will, at least once, run out of her house and directly into the big pit