Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was able to go back to earlier-game bosses from later on and still be summoned. I think it's not only soul memory at play, but most of the levels can be done in any order so you can find people at wildly various levels going through the same area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You can always use a Bonfire Ascetic to reset the enemies. There was nothing I really wanted that I could get within 0-1 uses of an ascetic, though I haven't tried to get items from npc phantoms yet.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, DS2 on the PC really does look amazing. I just started but I think I'll use this run to try out weapon types I have never used before. So daggers, lances and halberds, and sorcery. I'll probably throw dual cestus too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is the name people see in-game based off what you named your character?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Yes. It is your character name. There's some name censoring going on too.

Oh. I would have picked something cooler/dumber if I had known that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Not gunna lie I don't like this change either.

Repairing poo poo was an unnecessary hassle in Dark Souls but God drat I'd take that over my weapons almost breaking all the loving time.

You are crazy, the new system is about 10000000x better than the old one, it's great.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't believe I got an Old Whip from a regular Small and Silky Stone. Now I feel compelled to level up dex enough to use it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What are some good daggers I should look out for? I've never used them before, but I've been liking the regular one.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, are there no good shields to use as weapons besides the pair? They're so far into the game! :(

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This game looks seriously amazing with that ENB thing. I mean, it looked great already on PC but this takes it up even further. It might be just a little too dark, if anything.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Shrine looks awesome, in my opinion.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm impressed with the ENB, but I might be even more impressed with the cestus. I heard they were good, but they have far surpassed how well I thought they would do. Punching the Skeleton Lords to death was great.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I used Dex weapons in my first playthrough and thought they were absolutely fine. I even used them in pvp and won the vast majority of my matches with them, hell I've doing NG+ with the same character using a PVP weapon and doing amazingly. I really don't see how they are any worse than strength weapons.

Also, I think the ENB looks good. It doesn't look nearly as dark for me as it does in that one screenshot I've seen posted here.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

I'm starting to see a trend as I play of humanoid bosses all sucking. They're all terrible :effort: bullshit, most can't handle you literally just walking in circles around them. The worst offender I've seen so far is Old Dragonslayer which is literally just Ornstein copy&pasted with a different color palette. Did the development team run out of money halfway into the game or something? :psyduck:

Well, I mean, The Old Dragonslayer IS supposed to be Ornstein/some sort of copy of Ornstein. Why would they NOT be similar? And I love the bosses on this game on the whole, I think there's a really good variety.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does unarmed with Vanquisher's Seal do more damage than dual +10 cestus?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've often fought people one at a time in the belltower.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Emerald Herald, the cat, and Saulden all get more dialog throughout the game. Cale and Leningrast get a some more too, Maughlin gets a couple extra lines every time his stock grows.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Gortarius posted:

Alright so the giant lord boss is the worst thing in the game thus far. You are forced into that small corner because of the explosions, the lock-on is worthless because it makes you blind to what his attacks are going to be but even when not using it he does these 270 degree homing turns with his sweeps, which is just bullshit to be honest. On top of that there is apparently a time limit.

Who the gently caress designed these bosses? It's either a guy in armor with some oversized weapon doing vertical homing attack + horizontal sweep + charge, or it's a giant boss who does sweep attacks and tries to stomp on you.

I actually like that boss. I liked that I could, even with just looking at his feet, could time my dodges around his attacks and kill him without getting hit. It felt intuitive.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does Carhillion ever sell more spells than what he starts out with? If not, where do you get the later game spells?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Which is the infusion you want for your weapons, Magic or Enchanted? I know one of those is no good.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm liking my look so far. I think the bandit's armor is really cool!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is Sunlight Spear worth getting up to 52 faith? Should I spice it down is there another miracle worth doing that to?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Which bonfire do you ascetic for Belfry Luna? I thought it would be the one after the Gargoyles, but it seems like it might be connected to Sinner's Rise? Unless the Lost Sinner counts as the boss for the Belfry too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, just to make sure, if I spice down Sunlight Spear's requirement is there any reason to go beyond Great Lightning Spear's requirement (42)? I'm not even sure if there are any other miracles about that number.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You know, I don't care what belltowers guys do. Do whatever is necessary to kill the host. Just.... if you see the Mad Warrior there at least give me a chance to kill him first! I suppose that's what I get for trying to get his stuff while online, but still!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I really like Velstadt. I thought he was a cool-looking and fun boss.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm wrapping up the primal souls now, and I'm still using the basic sorcerer's staff. Is there a better one I could have found by now?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Can you get to the forgotten door in The Gutter from the second bonfire? I somehow missed the first bonfire in the area and would like to get to the door without having to go through the well and first half of the gutter again.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Got 'em so I can invade lowbie worlds and pretend to be a wall. NOPE, turns out you can't block with them both at the same time, you can just do a cumbersome attack that isn't all that good. Argh I reset that bonfire three times to get those stupid things. And they're garbage weapons in general. Lame!

What? They are NOT garbage. The dual attacks with those greatshields are amazing! If you can hit the opponent with them, at least. I love those things.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

You don't say. Well, go try to kill some cops with them and tell me how it goes.

Hey I AM a cop! My shields are like trash collectors, because the only things they hit are undead garbage.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is it weird, then, that I was still impressed with a lot of things including bosses in DS2?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Will the Mad Warrior come out if you are undead?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does the Mad Warrior stop respawning if you kill it enough times?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I heard that one or two bosses in dark souls 2 can be beaten by strafing around them is this true?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Black Gulch and the Shrine are both cool levels. At least I thought so. Then again I think a lot of things in this game are cool so I'm in the minority.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a way to change your character's name? After seeing the Velstadt character a couple pages back makes me want to dome something similar, but not if I can't rename myself. I might have to start a new character I guess.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Not even possible through some save-editing thing? I probably wouldn't risk doing it anyway. Guess I'll go with a new character then.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If I'm going to be using the Defender's Greatsword, is there any reason to keep sunlight blade around? I can't even use it on the sword anyway, and its buff seems as strong as sunlight blade and it doesn't take off that much durability to use it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The durability system in this game is probably my favorite durability system ever. It may as well not even be in the game for how much it has impacted me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Also, there's a much bigger pool of people to invade compared to DS1 so naturally invasions will feel more sparse to individual people.