Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

One of the starting gifts is the "top tier" trade in item for the crows in this game. Everything they give out is RANDOM. Top tier rewards include slabs, twinkling, the channelers trident, Demons Great Hammer and the best whip in the game.

I've been keeping myself in the dark about DS2 except some mechanics, are whips worth using now? What did that other goon mean when he said you won't be blocking? Is rolling that much better now? I plan on going through the game with my usual rpg battlemage build (with the bonus of magic and pyromancy being one). Though, dark sorcery is in faith now isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Battlemage is super fun and there's even more spells in DS2 for battlemages and pure wizards both.

That's great, I think this time then I'll have to focus on strength/intelligence, then put secondary points in vitality/dexterity/faith, and respec depending on which I like more. I like that I can't just ignore faith/resistance (because it doesn't exist on its own) anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 2's apparently up for preload now, so get going on it everyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

All the weapons are worthless garbage replaced the moment you do a single zone and almost any class's starting equipment is better than the lot of it anyway.

Preorder is worth it if only for the OST and the art.

Is the ost and comic out yet BTW?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bummer, wanted to pass the time a little until Friday.

quote:

The catalyst you get is actually decent for sorceries and Hexes, better than default one at least.

Did they make it more transparent when you should use which catalysts, or is mostly trial and error until you load up a wiki again?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Items have Lightning and Fire and Dark scaling now, instead of Int and Faith, so that's a little clearer.

Determining which staff (not catalyst anymore! :eng101:) works best can be a little tricky between scaling and base magic power as it always was. But you don't have to open up the wiki, you can just test a single spell out with each and see which does more damage :cheeky:

I meant more about the Int range about which each catalyst was best in, but I guess you're right in that it's not that hard to figure out. Staves instead of wands is rad though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Also there's a Shield that counts as a miracle casting bell as well as a sword that counts as a staff for casting sorceries / hexes as well as staves which can cast miracles & sorceries & hexes . Also some of the staves look really pimp.

Oh yes I'm going to have a fun time with this one. Are there multiple "endings" like in DS1 to go for in new game plus?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Except for the disjointed level design I have heard nothing about DS2 I'm not loving.

quote:

Also treasure chests have traps now; and the traps seem to change randomly! Keepin you on your toes!

Are there trap tools like in Morrowind or something to disarm it or is it more "open the chest and run the hell away"?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh by the way are those stones that play voice clips still in? I loved messing around with those.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samopsa posted:

You can start as Deprived, but you'll be human at the start; not hollowed. So for the best experience, jump off a cliff as your first action. The result will surprise you and make you laugh, and confirm that this is a true dark souls game.

I know how I'm starting my sorcerer run!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Every build is viable really and you're never screwing yourself out of a certain playstyle because you can just reallocate your points with a soul vessel later if you feel like a different build.

Where can it be found, by the way?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, can you summon people whenever now or do you still have to be human? Not sure if they changed it due to the new death mechanic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Liquid Penguins posted:

It's out! Go slay a thing!

Ready to launch in: An Hour.

:negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheQat posted:

Restart steam, it's decrypting for me.

I did, that's how long it thinks it's going to take to finish.

e: 20 minutes now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Akarshi posted:

What is with the unpacking time going wildly back and forth between 10 and 20 minutes it's killing me

The first boss fight of the game is fighting off the rest of the internet for the precious bits you need to finish unlocking it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sure didn't take long for my sorcerer to get the Demon's Great Hammer. I love how the game starts with a collection of npcs laughing at you. Off to a great start, chosen undead!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Can daggers parry in the offhand? It looks like it's just a different type of attack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moog posted:

I can't jump attack/kick. I'm using a controller and doing the exact same thing as I would do in DS1 but it's not working.

Kick's been replaced with a different kind of attack. I can't seem to parry, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anyone else in the forest of giants, what's the deal with the wounded npc in white armor? I can't talk to him and I've cleared all the hollows in the area out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Amppelix posted:

He is targetable and thus not an NPC.

Its wizarding time then! And only wizarding, the sorcerer can't use anything at the start.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just blitzed through to the boss of forest of giants but I can't get back to Pate for the soapstone. Someone want to lend a hand with directions from the second bonfire? This place is a maze.

quote:

Pressing 'B' on a ladder doesn't do what it used to.

Hold up or down and do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The pursuer went down like a chump to my magical prowess. And two phantoms, who died so I could snipe it. RIP buddies.

quote:

All the blood stains around the Manjula bonefire are people falling off the cliff ahah.

I dared to try the well. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way the last giant is really hosed up looking and I was actually repelled when it tore off an arm to try to squash me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Matlock Birthmark posted:

When you were walking on the path to Majula, did you see all those mist doors. Entering those is the tutorial area. First one on left has the basic message signs with how to attack and all that.

What was up with that reptile thing at the end? I didn't see a way to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Not sure, I'm still deleting/remaking my character and trading with the crows.

I got the weapon out of them first try, but I probably should have taken the healing kit instead because I will never use it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azran posted:

So is blocking on an always-on switch, or was it like this on PC? :psyduck:

It works the same as it did in Dark Souls 1 on consoles for me. Though, I think the leather shield is bugged; it's supposed to block 90% of damage, but it's blocking all of it. Which is nice, but still.

Also the menus are poo poo and barely navigable with a controller and the one thing dragging it down so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dezztroy posted:

Everything breaks faster than in DS1. You also get free repairs at bonfires (unless something is completely broken) to even it out.

You can hold three weapons in each hand now, so I guess everyone should start carrying backups for their backups.

quote:

Funniest drat thing, synchronised screams of triumph.

War-cry and the one where you do that sweet wrestler's pose are my new favorites.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

flowinprose posted:

Don't worry about it, you'll be seeing more of him later. That's just a one-time optional opportunity to fight him early.

If I killed him does that mean I won't be seeing any more later on or is there going to be a second?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also you guys weren't kidding about the preorder weapons being junk. I guess they'll come in handy if everything else breaks?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Archenteron posted:

Also for the guy bitching about having 2 estus and next to no healing gems: Exhaust the merchant grandma's dialogue in her talk menu, then after you beat The Last Giant, she'll move to Majula near the bonfire and sell infinite lifegems.

Is she the one at the bonfire in Forest of Giants?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Ok, I just beat the last giant and am now at this door that says "produce the symbol of the king". Am I supposed to do something with this or is it for later?

It seems like it's for later, like the orange doors in DS1 were. I'm not entirely sure what to do with the key I got off the giant; it opened a few doors on the way back, but it seems like there's more to the forest than I thought? I missed an entire mine apparently.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where should I be aiming to go after beating the last giant? Is there more to the forest or should I leave the area? I don't need specifics.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KoldPT posted:

The (Soldier?) key you got opens a door a little bit earlier.

Thanks, I'll have to look around. I wouldn't ask but the forest is like a maze to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of too bad that Steam won't let various players message each other without being on their friends list.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

What armour would you guys recommend, except for the Havel set, if the image I want to get across is "OK don't worry I'm here and I will tank the ever loving poo poo out of everything for you"? Big, hulking armour that nonetheless provides comfort rather than intimidation. :3:

My boy's armor set's back in? Hell yes! Where can I get it? Is the black iron set still around?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I moused over a few spoilers, so not sure what's up, but with Ornstein and the Cathedral, are we in what's left of Anor Londo? Because if so that's loving awesome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Piell posted:

17 Titanite Chunks in about 45 minutes, the Bell Tower Covenant is amazing.

I can't wait to find this, the forest covenant was my favorite in DS1. Will Sentinels counter invade you there?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I need to get my rear end to the belltower. Wherever it is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally, we have the game we were all waiting for. The Groose is loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh man old dragonslayer's theme is amazing. You can still hints of his leitmotif in it too.