Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DS2 and FO3 are great and hbomb is a bastard man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blaziken386 posted:

Fallout 3 is terrible and you should feel bad for liking it

It is good and I do not

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

build variety

Bloodborne and DS3 were just so boring for this. DS3 especially with how linear the first half is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gobblecoque posted:

My trick to the +purgatory phantom was to lure him a few steps away from the fog gate, bait him into attacking, and then running to the boss since his weapon is big and slow. Any other playthrough I don't think I'd have had too much trouble with him but he's got enough armor to just tank my dual-caestus punchman even with the stone ring. I've since upgraded to the bone fist which would've done the trick but ah well.

Side note: goddamn the bone fist is fun.

I'm currently playing an item randomizer run and it gave me the bone fist immediately and it's rad as hell

45 dex to powerstance with a caestus is rough though lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I beat my Dark Souls 2 item randomizer run! Turns out getting the ice rapier and the bone fist early breaks the difficulty in half (mostly). :v:

Something that always amuses me about the Deep Lore in DS2 is how almost no one in the playerbase could figure out what the "prize" Vendrick stole from the Giants was or what the Giant's Kinship item is. He raided and enslaved them, almost every item you get related to Aldia is about the horrible experiments he's performing on the captives, giants included. The Kinship is a metaphorical thing, your character understands them and their lingering eternal hatred for Drangleic now.

I appreciate how understated it is that Vendrick himself was old as hell even before hollowing though.

e: omg this is the original ds2 thread i posted way too much lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 11, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's weird how empty and different Souls games feel offline. DS2 in particular, with how intertwined multiplayer is with everything. The Iron Bridge and empty belltowers were sad to see.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one time I set myself up to get to "immediately invade" status by cops I instantly regretted it. Every five feet from a bonfire lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Look Sir Droids posted:

IIRC the Milfanito are just there as a callback to Nito. They're worshippers of Nito I think? One of the relatively few times DS2 directly references DS1. And it's almost always for no reason. Like Ornstein because....

The Old Dragonslayer is there to more bluntly call to attention what DS2 is trying to say with its themes of repetition and reproduction, memory, and obscurity.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Djeser posted:

the true dark souls experience is beating up a large, sad king

Without really knowing why

Plink plink plonk

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one time I bothered I'm pretty sure I just barfed hexes at him and ate a few dozen lifegems while flash sweating

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Gank Squad boss will never not be funny

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think a lot of those summons are there precisely as meatshields, especially for spellcasters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never noticed a dead zone problem lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

feelix posted:

That's not what I said. It's like I'm a pro golfer and you're a 3 year old hitting a rock with a stick. The fun you're having is very legitimate and real but I'm still superior to you

quote:

I'm used to dying, but

I usually map "use" to E in a game though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Equip two caestii and give them the ol one two

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NicelyNice posted:

Why do people dislike this game?

"b team"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

B-team never would have become a meme if there hadn't been a noticable drop in quality between games, and that they mismanaged the game to the extent that half of it had to be scrapped and a new game assembled out of the remaining pieces certainly suggests they were in over their heads

And, most damningly, it's the only Souls game without a clear best-in-slot masterwork straight sword (no the Hiede sword does not count that's basically a faith weapon)

And yet it's better than the "a team" follow up

Also I thought that the drakekeeper sword was basically best in class?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have never seen the balder side sword drop in ds1 :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the game largely looks pretty good, designwise, outside of some real lovely textures but the level-ruining ones for me now are the castle texture for rooms in Drangleic and whatever the gently caress the metal patchwork texture in the Iron Keep is supposed to be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

oldpainless posted:

And lords of the fallen!

It's even worse now they took the fun bugs out of it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shaded Woods to Drangleic's one of the coolest parts of the game and makes what DS2 is doing very obvious (even if what it's doing is largely coincidental due to reworks).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

feelix posted:

Defending DS2 by saying "yes the game is bad but have you considered that the game being bad incidentally happens to fit its themes?"

Read closer next time you try to get a burn in

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:agreed:

Not sure what you mean by "what DS2 is doing" but I've always assumed that the transitions between areas are just videogame shorthand for your character travelling an extremely long distance. Hell maybe it's how your character experiences the passage of time, maybe in the "real world" they walked a week between the Shaded Woods and Drangleic but to your character it felt like a short jog

Yeah, I mean that along with your character not remembering the trip because of their brain scramblies

The map in the manor also does a good job reinforcing that these are not contiguous places you're going and aren't intended to be (look where the bonfire lights actually are!), but no one ever really looks down there :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 28, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Hedonist posted:

DS2 isn’t bad but I don’t give enough of a gently caress to type an essay as to why. Quit making GBS threads up the thread arguing about an old rear end video game. It’s a divisive game, the arguments have been had years ago.

Much like Dark Souls, the fighting will continue until the world collapses upon itself

quote:

But, on the other hand, the game does not stop having themes because they had to cut out Oolacile and put it back in as DLC, or because the archstone that led to the Northern Lands is broken, or because Smoldering Lake is an empty pit with several giant crabs, a worm, and giant arrows that keep you from waiting around long enough to realize that the area sucks.

This is true, the idea of Smoldering Lake as Ash Lake, the cool secret mythic area with gravitas but on fire and smushed into the demon ruins is really cool but also really lovely to actually go through

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 29, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Djeser posted:

"Kings Are Bad" probably counts too.

That one's a series-long theme really :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My first death was probably loving a jump up because a poison station shot me and hosed the trajectory up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Item Getter posted:

Is it a common thing at all for someone to drop a bunch of items for you after invading and killing you? It happened to me and I thought it was kind of cool.

I afk'd at one point for an hour and when I came back not only was I still alive, but invaders had dropped hundreds of prism stones in Drangleic's basement and a full set of Ruin Sentinel armor for me

Thanks friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I accidentally despawned the pursuer altogether instead of the glitch kill

Whoops