Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In my old age, I've become less excited about video games. If something amazing comes out, I will buy it a year later on Steam for cheap, get around to it whenever, and play it in 15 minute bursts over a couple of months until I finally finish it. I'm installing this game before I leave for work, then playing it all weekend. The only thing that bums me out is that I will only be able to play it for the first time once. On my first Dark Souls character, I grabbed the zweihander at the beginning and smashed my way through the game. Is there anything like that I can grab early on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

sether01 posted:

That as well as more difficult enemies, can't summon and are also more likely to be invaded! Fun times

Oh my God, I'm absolutely doing that my first play through.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Ready to launch in 30 seconds. Deprived, physical damage only, Company of Champions playthrough here I come. I'll jolly co-op with you jerks after I beat it once.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Oh god, at the very beginning all those monkey things killed me after I punched one. Maybe I should rethink playing the game on the hard covenant...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Genocyber posted:

You have half hp and no equipment, what did you think was going to happen

I was going to punch them to death and take their souls.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Hahaha, clicked a bloodstain near the edge of a cliff in the main hub. Some guy tried to do the warcry emote at the sun, but the end of the animation made him fall off the cliff. The last thing you see is him turning around in panic. This game is so good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Can i just say that i miss the simplistic yet immensely rewarding weight of the first game's backstabs, and also that i HATE that you can't turn the camera while backstabbing anymore.

That got me killed like twice already.

Have you tried turning off the cinematic camera? I have no idea if that would actually help.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm not sure how poise works anymore. I got the Greatsword so I can pretend to be an anime, but the second hollow I hit didn't even flinch. What's the point of a giant sword if it's not going to knock guys down?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Man, I had a sign that was constantly being rated after I put it down. It was nice having a steady stream of healing. Suddenly it vanished, and the game got much quieter. I miss it.

Anyway, I fought The Dragonrider or whatever as the first boss. He was very easy, but it felt great to one shot him blind. Especially after how many times I died to the mace-wielding guardian before him.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Good to know. I also believe adding "but hole" to the end of every message is important.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Is there a way to turn off the "Your message has been rated" pop up? I appreciate the heals, and I hear the sounds, but holy poo poo it's distracting during bosses.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I've been human for hours in this game and haven't been invaded once. Don't think I'm going to get any Champion ranks.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I don't know what was going on with my fight with the Lost Sinner, but the boss kept breaking my target lock for some reason. Got me killed more than once.

And I'm still committed to playing through with the Greatsword, but holy poo poo the Large Club rules. Why doesn't the Greatsword knock people to the ground like that?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Man, that first boss in the DLC was definitely made for co-op. Made me rethink the whole Covenent of Champions thing. I ended up getting her to about a quarter hp before she summoned the bell dude. I just kept fighting her and dodging him. After I killed her, he got a hit in that took me down to a sliver of health before he vanished. Scared the poo poo out of me.

I've been rocking a fully upgraded Avelyn for a long time, not sure if I should replace it with the Sanctum Repeating Crossbow. Anyone know if the Sanctum Crossbow is that much better?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I know. :love:

It should be about the same strength if not a bit stronger, I think. Also has a cool special move you can use if you 2hand it.
Cool. I like the look of it better than Avelyn. Think I'm going to infuse lightning on it and buy a poo poo ton of lighting bolts. I'll also have to respec to get the base stats, which is a bummer.

Azran posted:

Is it a random drop?
Yeah, I got it off a ghost mob in the spiked floor room.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Since it has innate dark scaling and a dark special attack (2hand and press one of the shoulder buttons) you'd be better off infusing with dark and using dark bolts.
Killed the dude who sold dark bolts. Whoops.

Edit: So now I'm thinking Raw fusion with lightning bolts since I only have 10 faith and int anyway.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 23, 2014

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Re: "this poo poo is too hard without summons", I actually felt completely the opposite about the DLC; I had an easier time with Elana alone because she never summons Velstadt when I'm alone which is the thing that causes me to die in that fight, and I found Sinh easier with just Transcendent Eddie than I did with another player or both of the NPC summons.

In fact, I complained to someone that it was annoying that the first boss is harder with summons than without, because Dark Souls 2 has too many mechanics that discourage multiplayer compared to the original.

She summoned Velstadt on me in just about every one of my attempts. Maybe it's a covenant of champions thing? I haven't noticed any mechanics that discourage multiplayer yet. But I did just make my first co-op guy the other day and am not too deep yet.

I'm decent enough at the game to not need to summon people, but I feel like there are bosses that are designed to encourage players to take advantage of summoning. Example: The Gargoyles in the first Dark Souls. Right when you get in the area, you are handed the white soapstone. And later you see the first NPC summon sign right outside the bosses' door. A player enters the fog, gets wrecked when the second Gargoyle drops, then is supposed to think, "Guess I'll see what all this summoning fuss is about." I'm not saying the Gargoyles are too hard. I'm just saying there are ways the developers try to get us to summon friendly ghosts in our game, because, dammit, they went through all the trouble of programming it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Just finished the DLC. Really great stuff. Progressing through the new areas felt a lot more like being in the first Dark Souls game. Though I wasn't thrilled to see dragon asses again. The only other gripe I have is how all the bosses can be fought right after each other instead of having zones between them to explore and progress through. The optional fight might have broken the monotony of boss fight after boss fight. But I did it last and the "secret dungeon" is basically two rooms you can just run through.

The optional fight was definitely my favorite for how stressful it was. I basically ran in circles for about 20 minutes until it was just me and Havel. DLC Havel does not gently caress around. I was out of estus, so I cheesed the hell out of him by plinking him with my crossbow, then running away. Looking forward to doing that fight again with a co-op buddy or two.

Also, I'm a Dark Souls saint. Today at work, I was telling a friend about how much I was enjoying the DLC. He told me he was looking forward to starting it tonight. He asked if any DLC bosses were as hard as Valdstadt, since he always had trouble getting the timing of his attacks down. I told him to just wait and see. Didn't even make a smart-rear end hint.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 25, 2014

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Whenever a boss first sees me after walking through the fog, I imagine them yelling this at me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9AnwYi2Frk

I need to find a way to mod that kid's lines in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Sunbroing Smelter Demon with my Gyrm's Shield and Redeye ring has made me the most popular girl at the ball. Everyone with a mic sounds super pumped to see me pop up. Am I eventually going to hit a soul memory level where I can't help bad people with bosses anymore?