Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DrBouvenstein posted:

Something that might have been said, but is worth repeating and should maybe go in the OP:

:siren: YOU DON'T HIT WALLS TO ACTIVATE SECRET DOORS/ILLUSORY WALLS ANYMORE! :siren:

There is a fake wall that you have to destroy to get an item, though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there trap tools like in Morrowind or something to disarm it or is it more "open the chest and run the hell away"?

The latter.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh by the way are those stones that play voice clips still in? I loved messing around with those.

Gough's carvings? Yes, absolutely. A merchant sells them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zaphod42 posted:

IIRC fist and claw are entirely different fighting styles.

I just checked out a video of powerstanced Caestus, and nah, they play pretty similarly. It comes down to a few different things that I'll throw in spoilers for people who don't want to know:

This is based on the Claws weapon, which is Slashing.

At +10 it has 130 AR plus E/A scaling in STR/DEX. Additionally, it has 120 Bleed.

So, why are Claws worse than the Caestus? Well, there are a few reasons.

1) The Caestus has A/A scaling, and STR scaling is much better than DEX scaling.
2) Strike is better than Slash.
3) Player bleed got nerfed pretty hard, so that's not much of a benefit to the Claws, even though (when Bleed infused) they have 300 Bleed and can cause Bleed in about three hits.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I already played through the console version so it won't be a first run, per se, but I'm thinking of running as a spellsword. That is, using weapon enchants, infusions, and the minimum STR/DEX to wield weapons. Should be pretty fun!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Das Butterbrot posted:

Be sure to farm the Hooded Mage Phantoms in Undead Crypt to get the best weapon for that playstyle Blue Flame, a sword that you can use to cast sorceries

I figured I was just going to run around with a club/longsword/etc. and catalysts to enchant said weapon. That's not a bad idea, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is the whole thing where you lose a chunk of your health when you die as dumb unnecessary bullshit as it sounds?

No. You get a lot of human effigies, and even if you die enough times where you completely run out and fully hollow, the game has a Cling Ring equivalent to keep you at 75% of max.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nibble posted:

I played many, many hours of Dark Souls, and standing back to cast magic missile at dudes just never felt right. I may give magic a try later in the game, but even as a balanced class like the Explorer, I'll be doing melee combat first and foremost.

DS2 has the same general set of actions, in the sense that there's blocking, roll-dodging, parrying, backstabbing, and kicking/bashing, right? I know the engine changes mean a lot of the timings and such will be different, but are they fundamentally the same? How does the dual-wield "power stance" work, can you block and/or parry from that?

Parrying is a lot harder (basically use a small shield or a curved sword or don't bother), and yes you still have a shield bash. Blocking got nerfed pretty hard, and rolling is really bad with low ADP.

You can power stance two weapons if you hit 1.5x the base requirements to equip the weapons. Parrying with power stance depends on the weapon, usually no.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leadthumb posted:

I played through all of dark souls with the halberd, will this power stance thing let me play with two halberds?

Yes, but again, you'll need to hit 1.5x the base requirements for equipping them.

E:

Ciaphas posted:

Excellent. One more question, I know there's a new stat or two, but has stat allocation and numbers changed significantly since the first game? In other words, if I wanted to be pure Strength, would it stop at 40 then everything else in End and Vit (or is it Vigor now) leaving me with tonnes to spare?

This will decide if I want to try Strength on its own, or Strength/Faith or Str/Dex or something first :shobon:

They've changed stat allocation a ton. For example, Endurance is now basically just Stamina, whereas Equip Load is on Vitality, and END has a soft cap of 20 (stamina will keep increasing past 20 END, but at 1 point per level, so it's really slow.)

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 24, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mazed posted:

Wait, which one was that? I know the sorcery guy needs you to have 8, but psh sorcery is babies.

Straid, the Bastille boss soul trader.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sober posted:

Doesn't that make bosses harder?

It makes everything harder.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gortarius posted:

Alright so the giant lord boss is the worst thing in the game thus far. You are forced into that small corner because of the explosions, the lock-on is worthless because it makes you blind to what his attacks are going to be but even when not using it he does these 270 degree homing turns with his sweeps, which is just bullshit to be honest. On top of that there is apparently a time limit.

Who the gently caress designed these bosses? It's either a guy in armor with some oversized weapon doing vertical homing attack + horizontal sweep + charge, or it's a giant boss who does sweep attacks and tries to stomp on you.

If you beat the Last Giant, you can beat the Giant Lord.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xoidanor posted:

How do you even get down there? :negative:

Through the locked door by the Last Giant.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sydin posted:

So HUGE endgame spoilers, but I'm totally lost here: I beat Ancient Dragon, did all four memories, killed Vendrick, and grabbed his soul/gear. Where do I go now? The path basically ended at Ancient Dragon. I figured maybe the Emerald Herald would give me another plot dump, but nope. Did I miss something?

There's a King's Door by the Drangleic Castle bonfire.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sydin posted:

Thanks. Did the game tell me this at some point and I just missed it? Or was I supposed to be psychic and know to go back to the there?

It's at the end of a staircase downstairs that's a few feet away from a bonfire. I think they just expect you to try heading in that direction at some point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ariong posted:

I don't know what or where the drangleic shield is and it seems like the only thing mcduff has is two scoops of crazy raisins.

The Drangleic Shield is with the rest of the set in a hole past the Pursuer boss room.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Professor Wayne posted:

I don't know what was going on with my fight with the Lost Sinner, but the boss kept breaking my target lock for some reason. Got me killed more than once.

Her boss room is dark (unless you light the torches), so you have a pretty short lock-on range.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

THE PWNER posted:

Why do my r1's with uchi sometimes do less damage on the same enemy? For example the lion warrior guys, some hits do 171 and some do 262. Is there locational hitboxes in ds2 or something I never noticed?

I know that halberd does less damage if you hit them with the handle, maybe it's like that?

The direct hit system - which is why the halberd hits harder with the blade - is in every weapon in this game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RobertDowneyJr posted:

Question. It doesn't seem like there's any Dex weapons that can actually do damage.
Are the katanas any good?

The katanas are great, actually! If you're a Dex build I strongly recommend getting to Iron Keep ASAP so you can get a blacksteel or an Uchi. Once you've got one of those mess around with poo poo until you get something you like (I hear a lightning infused chaos blade with sunlight blade is stupid strong, if you've got the stats for it.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

404notfound posted:

Freja's one of the great souls, right? For some reason, her soul in my inventory just looks like a regular one, instead of the big, orange one that the other three great souls are.

Technically, the dead dragon in her boss room is the great soul. Freja herself isn't. If you examined the glowing puddle you're good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mazed posted:

It's weird. This is probably the first time these games have such a clear reason for why an important NPC is conspicuously gigantic other than "isn't human".

I can't recall any characters in Demon's Souls that were conspicuously gigantic. The only possible case I can think of offhand is False King Allant, and he was just a demon.

Mimetic posted:

What's up with all these people standing back and letting "honorable" 1v1s go on in the Bell Tower. If you want a fair fight go be a ratbro gosh darn it! :argh:

:psyduck:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kanfy posted:

I do this but personally I don't care about "honour", I just find one-sided 2v1s boring and unsatisfying for both parties involved.

Any reason you aren't a dragon, bloodbro, or sentinel? It seems like they'd be more up your alley (what with the invasion soapstones and arenas and all.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just realized that the biggest gently caress you to the game I could get with my gimmick build would probably be powerstanced Mace of the Insolent with Dark/Resonant Weapon.

That would be obscene, right?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mazed posted:

Licia is kind of like this game's Lautrec. Doesn't gently caress you over by killing useful NPCs, just goes after you repeatedly.

You're thinking of Knight Kirk, I'm pretty sure. Lautrec just kills the Firelink keeper then runs off to Anor Londo. You do need to use a similar invasion item to find him, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chomp8645 posted:

The reason they do souls acquired instead of souls spent is because there is an obvious exploit with souls spent. You could simply clear a bunch of zones while banking the souls, collect all the rings, weapons/armor, and twinkling titanite, and then intentionally kill yourself twice. Bam, super gear, no SM.

You realize that if they tried this, they'd be completely unable to use 90% of the good equipment they collected and said equipment would be completely unupgraded, right? They'd still need to pick up some soul memory to get to an overpowering place.

I agree that soul memory isn't great in its current form and that they should completely throw it out for NG+, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FrancoFish posted:

It is about 1k or so actually. I have been trying to keep stamina up as well as HP, and build STR and Faith with it all, so I may have spread myself too thin. Maybe I'll look into respeccing my points around some.

Wait, what are your stats? You should easily have over 1000 HP if you have at least 20 vigor.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tallgeese posted:

Let me explain more clearly.

In the code, the fire infusion itself is assigned a better return than all the other infusions for that particular weapon.

Every return an infusion gives you on a weapon is the product or quotient of one or two numbers being applied to the weapon's base stats. Each weapon has a set of individual numbers that determine what infusions do to their stats.

The Black Knight Ultragreatsword in particular shouldn't be much of a surprise, though. It has fire damage by default, the game encourages you to play to a weapon's strengths. I wouldn't bother infusing a Heide Knight Sword with Magic, for example, that would be a waste.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tallgeese posted:

That's what I mean. I don't see the point of having a set of effectively useless infusions.

Because that's not a problem for most weapons. They let you infuse a weapon with whatever you want; in most cases it makes sense to give you options.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Keep in mind that bleed does 200 damage when it procs. It's probably not worth nerfing your overall damage unless you're really dealing jack poo poo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

My question is at SL 124-125, and a sikkazz 40 points sunk in to STR, what are my options for [x]bows, hexes/maybe a miracle or two? Here's how my stats look

I'd say the Dragonrider Bow and some pyromancy is right up your alley.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Also, I now have a +10 lightning and a +10 fire shortbow, those are working out OK for chipping away at dudes in PvE, but are crossbows more effective in PvP/since they don't even bother with scaling?

1) Make sure you have appropriate arrows! Wellager sells magic and lightning arrows, Agadyne sells dark arrows, Gavlan sells poison arrows (infinitely if he's in the Doors of Pharros), and Ornifex sells fire arrows.

2) Avelyn is obscene.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Can you ascetic memories? I want another grand lance. Or i could deal with the hiede lance I got, but it looks boring :v:

Yep! I don't know what bonfires most of them are tied to, but the Memory of Jeigh is one of the best ways to get souls really quickly in the game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jose posted:

How rare are Pharros Lockstones? I've got 2 at the minute after unlocking the one in Forest of fallen giants and Lost Bastille to get to Belfry Luna. What about soul vessels? I'm currently playing almost entirely using sorcery with a +2 axe rarely but was thinking about changing to mostly miracles and using a club I just found in Huntsman copse instead so speccing from 38 int/24 faith/25 atn to mostly faith and str instead. My vit/vgr/end/adp are all crap though

You'll get more lockstones than you'll ever need (unless you Ratbro, but even then by actually participating in that covenant you get more lockstones, so it balances out), and you get somewhere around 4-5 soul vessels in a reasonably thorough runthrough. Feel free to use one of your soul vessels if you feel like you need it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Iron Rose posted:

Man I'm playing with Katanas right now and I loving loathe the moveset of the blacksteel katanas, powerstanced or no. It's just a right piece of terribleness. I do have dual darkdrifts and they are pretty good, but have no durability so I'm running a +10 darkdrift and a naked manslayer as frankly, it does better damage and has better scaling (but doesn't pierce shields).

The Blacksteel Katana is basically this game's Iaito. I really enjoy that it has that quickdraw ability, even if it's not super useful. It's also the main reason I'm pissed off that Dex scaling got nerfed so hard. I like the Blacksteel and all, but it's a pretty lovely weapon because it relies so much on scaling. :smith:

That said, just get an Uchigatana until you can get the Chaos Blade, then go Lightning Chaos Blade with Sunlight Blade, it's pretty much the way to go with katanas. Either that or use a Washing Pole, I guess.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That's an interesting report, Fat and Useless, thanks for posting it. But...

Fat and Useless posted:

Here's to the next 400 wins...

I have bad news for you. Every loss counts against your covenant progress. You're going to need a lot more than 400 wins to max out your covenant.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fat and Useless posted:

I thought that was just for reds...

Oh, I guess I don't know. I thought it was both. If it's just for reds then you're good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Iron Rose posted:

okay I don't know what it was bluecops suddenly got a fuckton more competent. I went from winning 10-1 to losing 1-10 in the Copse by the lockaway bonfire. Is it because I ascetic'd it so it's at intensity three?

also not sure I like the katanas as far as dex weapons go. It's kinda 'meh' to be entirely honest, and they have piss poor durability. I don't like being forced to use the knuckle ring or use oodles of repair powder. It's expensive!

Dex weapons are all bad, but Katanas are the least bad. There's a reason I suggested grabbing an extremely high AR weapon and infusing it.

E: Well, the Hunter's Blackbow and longbow are both pretty good. Other than that though.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 10, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Iron Rose posted:

Bah. I don't want to go back to maces! Maybe I'll see what the chaos blade is like.

Well, here's the best part of it. Ultimately, you're probably going to wind up going back to maces. Half the problem with Dex weapons is that none of them are strike weapons, and strike weapons are just better suited to fighting enemies in this game. Slash weapons and thrust weapons - the entire Dex repertoire! - are just not as good. Dex having lovely scaling just exacerbates the problem.

E: Also, just for kicks, look into the Curved Dragon Greatsword. It's a pretty neat weapon, hits pretty hard.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Artificer posted:

Really considering putting a Curved Dragon Greatsword on a Lightning +5 path as a Faith build that BARELY has the requirements to wield it. Plus it has a neato special attack. Anyone have any experience with this weapon?

I used it a fair bit as a side weapon on my Dex build. It's really fun to use (entirely because of that special attack), but I have no idea how it would handle infusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Babyface Mingo posted:

What's the Mundane and Raw buffs again? I always forget.

Raw increases base damage and reduces scaling. Great for weapons with lovely scaling or no scaling.

Mundane adds a new form of scaling to your weapon that has S scaling with your lowest stat. Basically, it's a Jack of All Trades weapon, because it's at its strongest when all of your stats are 20 (or higher I guess.)