Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr Dog posted:

indeed, but there's also a shortcut that's actually useful now (as opposed to being an alternative and frankly more annoying path)

Definitely, but those snipers and viking swarms man. Oye.

Also the Pursuer makes me sad after going through the Bastile. I used to think you were scary, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Memnaelar posted:

What'd they change? I just started my replay and got through it but didn't notice any big differences aside from Gavlan moving and the new friendly summon.

It was the snipers and how the vikings can group up a bit more easily now. Maybe I went there a little earlier than I should have, but I melted under their attacks and couldn't find a decent place to fight that didn't see me getting peppered with arrows.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Guillermus posted:

Varangian sword

Varangian buddies. :haw:

I think I'm going to just power stance two of these things and keep a couple of broadswords as back-up weapons. I have a bastard sword to use on bosses and slower enemies, but the attack speed of the Varangians more than makes up for the decrease in damage. Just need to keep a decent amount of repair powder handy...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Resins are a straight damage buff, right, and aren't temporarily Infusing a weapon?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I've ignited three of the primal bonfires. When is Aldia supposed to start appearing? I brace myself every single time but it's not happened yet. Feel like I'm owed a jump scare already.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How effective would the Chaos Rapier be as a for a 30/30 Hexer? I'm not relying on magic too much, mostly using it for the variety and utility of spells, so still getting my hands dirty. I like the CR's moveset (still has a parry even when I'm carrying someone in the left hand) but I'm concerned that infusing it as Dark will neuter its damage input given the inherent fire type. Shall I just cheese through to an Ice Rapier and infuse that?

A big part of my combat style is taking advantage of counter damage so I don't want to switch to a different weapon if I can help it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Guy in full Hex gear making GBS threads magic all over Forest of Giant lowbies accuses me of being the twink because I have a claymore. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ekster posted:

Looks like they weren't just huge, but also practical apparently according to the wikipedia article.

:stare:

Jesus, I thought they were used as an anti-cavalry weapon. People used them in direct combat? :psyduck:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
God almighty, Giantdad's not the reckless cookie cutter fantasy I thought it was.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FROM's always been weird about NPC enemies. In Bloodborne they've just been given maxed out stats, infinite stamina, infinite ammo and left at that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Southern Heel posted:

So here's a lore question, re: Licia
So she's tricking people (as per the dialogue when you first meet her) - but why does that make her a traitor/guilty? Why is the crushed eye orb seemingly the only one in the game that matters for her and why is it so completely out of the way? I see Nameless Usurper is roughly linked to her and it's kind of neat - but not realising that I just had the item in my inventory, hit it when I went to go buy miracles and then suddenly 'OH YOU FOUND ME OUT!' and she's dead.

It's implied that she stole from, and murdered members of, a Church in her search for phat loots. She invades other Majula residents in hopes of taking their souls and is similarly bilking you for her services by claiming they're divinely given - note how it's complete bullshit that the device she operates runs on miracles, as it works just fine without her interference. She's a scam artist and murderer.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Golden Goat posted:

Okay considering I'm at the Undead Crypt now AND that i'm playing every other night can I finish everything in time?

Undead Crypt is basically the home stretch. You've a couple more areas to go but they're fairly short.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seek Strength, the rest will follow.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So apparently I had SOTFS on PS4 without realizing. :psyduck:

Is the community still strong enough for some solid co-op play? SOTFS is almost completely fresh so this is going to be kind of novel. Plus I get to hear the satisfying kerplunk of trophies again. :buddy:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Several enemies are practically immune to lightning damage in Sunken, fire in Iron, etc. Always have a back-up, "plain" weapon or you are in for a rough time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow, rapier and puzzle sword together are a lot of fun. I'm all but certain the sword was used as a prototype for Bloodborne's threaded cane. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So on a dex build I got Alonne's Sword and I feel...overwhelmed. The extra range doesn't seem to be that valuable given how slowly it strikes, and while the seppuku animation is fantastic - especially for depriving people of a kill :v: - its attached buff doesn't feel like it lasts long enough to be worth that risk.

Blacksteel Katana seems to do the same damage, same poise but also hits quicker and doesn't drain stamina as quickly. Feel like I'm missing something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PS4 seems really quiet, FWIW. Got invaded and summoned a total of five times in 150 levels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NGDBSS posted:

It's meant to be used less as a sword and more as a polearm, given that it's technically a nagamaki. So while the range is useful, the real benefit comes in exploiting the sweeping strikes or the sweet spot. (I'm not certain where the sweet spot is, but I know that it exists.) Still, it's an oddball weapon.

Makes sense. Can't really find a fit for, so put the thing in storage. A shame as the Allonne fight is amazing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I had the misfortune of going against the Watchers, Shandra and then Aldria in quick succession. :stonk:

Anyway, a little late but I beat the Burnt Ivory King and man I loved that entire sequence. The transition as you drop down with all four knights alongside you was absolutely amazing, and completely unlike anything else in the franchise. :allears:

Then I went and watched Happy Souls again, because that cracks me up like an idiot each time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP STABBING ME IN THE BACK. :byodood:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Amppelix posted:

I usually go in somewhere around the time of shrine of amana / undead crypt.

Yeah, if you can handle those areas you should be ready to start poking into the DLC.

From a thematic point I like to start them when I get the Ashen Heart and have spoken with Vendrick.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sunken > Iron > Burnt, although they're reasonably even outside of the optional side areas.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think the Burnt Ivory King's final boss fight should be left for last at least. It feels like a much more impressive capstone given the set piece involved.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nope! Soul Memory goes up when you earn souls, not when you spend them. It's very silly. I can see what they were trying to do, but it really hampered co-op in a way that shouldn't have existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
IIRC there did use to be said cliff in the skybox, but it was a big performance drain and got nixed.