Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
E: or that ^

Jose posted:

Has much been talked about how playable this will be with a keyboard and mouse? I'd rather play it on my PC than PS3 but don't have a controller for my PC and don't really want to have to buy one

My ps3 recently died, and the one controller I have remaining has now become my pc gamepad. I decided to try to get it running with MotioninJoy drivers or whatever, but in the thirty seconds it took to find motioninjoy I also noticed a link that took me here:

XInput Wrapper for DS3 and Play.com USB Dual DS2 Controller as posted by Scarlet.Crush
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

From personal experience I would say it loving rules: Dark Souls, Don't Starve, Spelunky, Steamworld Dig...anything I've wanted a controller for my ps3 pad (oh, usb connected) has done the trick, no sweat.

Here's a link to a blurb about pc options, saw it on steam earlier:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/08/here-are-dark-souls-2s-pc-graphics-and-control-options/

E: Found a Forbes article where the writer says:

Forbes posted:

Mouse and keyboard are fully supported this time around. I played the game effectively using this setup, but I still prefer a gamepad for third-person action titles, and Dark Souls II still works best with a gamepad plugged in. From Software must also think this, since the prompts onscreen default to buttons rather than keys.

You can mess around with keybindings as well, which is probably a good idea since some of the defaults are puzzling. It’s a shame that the PC version didn’t adopt the earlier build of the game, both in terms of assets and lighting. I’m still not sure I’d like to constantly be swathed in darkness in this game, and I’m not even sure that the much higher-contrast lighting effects are the right way to go, but there’s no doubt PCs could handle this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/04/08/dark-souls-ii-pc-preview-heres-what-to-expect/

All it says for controls is that they are remappable...doesn't really tell you how it feels to handle, but I think that's a bit personal anyway. Don't care for the tone of that article but whatever.

If you prefer a controller you should give this a shot, it was a breeze to set up and now I've learned xbox button prompts. Playing Dark Souls on my pc feels exactly as it did on ps3. Although, like I said, just how I found it to be.

Hope that helps you out.

Sir Bedevere fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Jim Sterling speaks about the graphical downgrades that happen post announcement for some titles in a recent Jimquistion:

Watch_Dogs: A Vertical Slice Of Steaming Bullshots
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8876-Watch-Dogs-A-Vertical-Slice-Of-Steaming-Bullshots

Even if you can't stand the guy for being a vulgar weirdo this is an excellent point of view in my opinion; worth a view.

Specifically for DS2, I don't understand why the pc version would not get the original lighting engine if it was the lead development platform.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Preloading now. I bought a video card yesterday for this game; it's been around 5 years since my last gpu purchase. The anticipation is beginning to build into that gross, child-like Christmas eve feeling.

I'm a soul man.