Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What do you guys think the best starting class is for a keyboard+mouse player who will be annoyed when he gets invaded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

I don't think so, the servers go live at 8:00 AM AEST on Friday, which is 6:00 PM Thursday EST. That message further up the page seems to mean that while the servers will be active worldwide, you still won't be able to play until the 25th in your time zone. I hope I'm wrong though.

I agree, this message below is worded terribly:

quote:

**Important message for DARK SOULS II PC fans**

With the global release of the PC version of DARK SOULS II coinciding with the ANZAC day public holiday on Friday 25th of April 2014, we have decided to launch the product on the 24th of April to enable consumers to play the game when it is launched globally on the 25th.

However, because of the global release date, users will not be able to play DARK SOULS II before Friday 25th of April at 08:00 AM AEST, at which point the servers will be set online globally. Consumers may pre-install the game if they purchase on the Thursday, however they will be greeted with a message notifying them that the game is not yet available to play.

Consumers in Australia and New Zealand will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC once servers go live on the 25th and we hope that by enabling sale of the product on the 24th this will allow everyone the chance to start their journey and go beyond death without delay. Praise the sun!

Does that mean that ANZACs will be first to play, at Friday 0800 AEST, and everyone else has to wait for Friday 0800 local time before the servers will accept a connection from your IP? That would seem to make no sense. It could be bypassed via VPN if it's IP based, or via changing computer clock if it's just a timezone/settings check. On the other hand, if it's "everyone on Earth" plays at Friday 0800 AEST, the servers are gonna get crushed and the phrasing of "may pre-install the game if they purchase on the Thursday, however they will be greeted with a message notifying them that the game is not yet available" and "Consumers in Australia and New Zealand will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC" is really weird.

I just want to play when it unlocks on Steam tomorrow. I hope they're not teasing us here but I my google-fu is failing at finding a definitive statement. Anyone else have a solid reference?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Orv posted:

Their Facebook just posted a couple hours ago that;

With no mention of their ridiculous wording or server specific nonsense earlier, so... :shrug:

yeah. I love how they posted that on the "darksouls" account which is only visible if you login to Facebook instead of say, the "darksoulsii" account which is publicly visible. I'm gonna assume we're actually playing an online DS2 tomorrow afternoon US TZ and that whoever wrote that original announcement is just terrible at phrasing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

The default keybindings are hilariously bad- primary attack is right-click and vice versa, power attacks are double-click. I'm pretty sure literally every single command in the game is bound to both mouse and keyboard :psyduck:

How does mouse+keyboard play after rebinding things? Flows well during combat or stuck with awkward combinations to fit all the commands in? How many mouse buttons do you have bound?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

It's whatever key you have bound to "two hand weapon", like Dark Souls 1, except in menus where it's whatever you have bound to "Function 1" in the menu keybinds (unlike Dark Souls 1, where it was just hardbound to "insert").

I feel like the OP is gonna need a FAQ on, at least with default or key bind options, what keyboard commands correspond to what ps3 buttons ingame. And other tips for us mouse+keyboard diehards.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

The guard break and leaping attacks seem to be impossible on KB+M - I know how to do them on a controller, but is there a trick I'm missing with the keyboard controls?

Yeah I haven't managed to do either of those yet, but I might not have tried the exact combos in this post…

YOSPOS King posted:

You can reliably pull off one of those shield bash and leaping attack things with keyboard and mouse.

Forward+right click, right click for one

Forward+right click, forward+right click for the other

Because that means I have to forward+click, then click again? But when I double click I usually get a power attack. I dunno I need to recheck my binds. FROM may have fixed the graphics on PC but the UI and keyboard/mouse controls are still mostly crap. They're just slightly improved from DkS1, argh.

Then there's this…, re: 480k souls PC kill on night 1 --

FrickenMoron posted:

Edited save file, he was at max SL. Now your soul memory is hosed. Welcome to dks2!

I realize, 'offline mode' and all but making zero effort to prevent modified save games from performing invasions seems dumb too. It's 2014, figure it out or just do online saves only since several major games require internet connections for playing these days.

Anyway, I got to up to some NPC sitting on a bench in Forest of the Fallen Giants before having to call it a night. Trying real hard to learn to play with kb+m but parrying is ridiculously hard so far and I haven't broke guards either, so, still figuring this out. I think I've lost about 2000 souls from unrecovered deaths. You guys?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mazed posted:

NPC AI can occasionally break, but when it's good, it's really good. Normal jackoff enemies will chase you all over the drat castle before you can shake them off and it's wonderful.

yeah, I've been abusing the heck out of the AI to separate or re-arrange enemies. Some hollows go up/down ladders, others don't.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Soks posted:

Has anyone figured out how to toggle between "interact" options with KB/M? I fixed my control scheme almost entirely with AutoHotKey, but this last thing I can't do. I can't light a torch because I can't toggle at the bonfire.

For me, that (yellow 'Y') button was the same as I used to 2H a weapon. But there are two actions I have bound to that key, the 2H command and then in a different menu keybind the 'Function 2' key. It's really annoying that the various in-game menus still show hardcoded controller buttons and I hope someone compiles a list of what corresponds to what.

turtlecrunch posted:

Mouse input like...you're not playing with a controller? :stare:

This _is_ the PC thread. Some of us don't use a controller for anything more than launching netflix. I was really looking forward to the supposedly improved keyboard and mouse controls in DkS2. Please don't contribute to the 'get a controller' meme in this thread. :smith:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wait, you get healed for putting down signs that get votes?

That's awesome, straight up heals? Gotta try that. Gotta white phantom more too to get my humanity back.

Regarding guard break and jumping attacks using keyboard and mouse: I rebound my mouse attacks to switch the left and right buttons. I have not one single time been able to do a guard break or jumping attack using a keyboard and mouse (mechanical keyboard: Ducky Shine 3, Windows 8 default input rates, Logitech G400S mouse). This is trying to do, for example, forward + light mainhand attack in quick succession or simultaneously on mouse and keyboard. However, I _have_ been able to do both a guard break attack and jumping attack, somewhat reliably, using just the keys. Very rapid tap-tap of forward+light attack, for example, to do guard break. So I know it can be done. Anyone figure out how to reliably do it with mouse click attacking, though?

pmchem fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 25, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

The game plays fine with M+KB with rebinding pretty much all the default binds. It doesn't solve the mouse input delay though, which is all on FROM.

Yup, I have no problem at all with the over-the-shoulder POV. There is some weird mouse input lag (or mismatch w.r.t. keyboard input) which makes doing stuff like guard breaks hard via mouse attack. That's on FROM, not the genre or POV. Tons of menu options still say to click whatever controller button instead of the actual key the command is bound to; that's on FROM, again, not a particular reason to make a person 'buy a controller!!!!' Finally, apparently you can just bind 2-3 mouse buttons instead of others you may have via the default rebind menu. Again, that's on FROM, not some intrinsic aspect of the gameplay that would make one want to go out and buy a controller. It's just a lazy port of the controls.

Rolling? No problem. Freelooking around and fighting in non-lockon combat? No problem. I have zero desire for a controller except for the aspects mentioned above, which are a lack of effort/QA by FROM. I've figured out the menu controls and can live without using all my mouse buttons, so it's really down to figuring out the best way to handle things like guard break / jump attack.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

This guy on reddit is also an avid DkS2 keyboard+mouse player, and has a lot of helpful comments on how to make things go more smoothly for us house of mouse players. He also links to a megathread/FAQ post of this a few times (guard break, mouse input lag, basically everything that has come up in this thread but consolidated):

http://www.reddit.com/user/Knight_Artorias_
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23x5iz/pc_version_common_problems_and_fixes/

Worth checking out.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've modified Dexter's AHK script a bit to go with my 5-button Logitech G400S:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

XButton1::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

XButton2::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{t}
return

In my keys, h is R1, u is L1, and t is R2. The XButtons will amazingly reliably perform guard break and leap attacks. Middle mouse button is unchanged. Right button will block without mouse input lag and function as a regular right click, left button will light attack and function as a regular left click. If I want to do a R2 attack, I just press T which is right next to my L2 (parry) keybind (R). This also means that spam click attacking will do a series of R1, so you don't accidentally mix your R1 and R2 attacks.

I'm liking it so far!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How many souls have you guys perma lost because you couldn't recover a corpse? I'm at 282k soul memory but I know I lost like 20-25k souls over a few stupid deaths. Ugh especially the stupid ruin sentinels which I went into way too early I guess. Die there and you can't recover your souls before the mist and fight, blah. Just go in, recover souls, die again, eventually fail to recover.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

reposting since someone asked like 15 pages ago, for you keyboard + mouse users:

get autohotkey, run this script --

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{t}
return

h is my R1, u is my L1, t is my R2. that gets rid of input lag and lets you perform guard breaks / leap attacks. I do R2 attacks via keybd. enjoy.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can you use homeward bone if there are friendly phantoms (PC or NPC) in game? I need to recover some souls from a boss fight without risk. (heh)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah but getting sunbro medals has become very easy now.

Yup, I've been farming a boss in the copse area just getting non-stop summoned as a sunbro. Gonna have 30 medals in no time. Decent souls at the start, too.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Frocious posted:

I'm not. I did find the one for the NPC, but she fell behind and landed in some deep water or something. I have seen two other ones, but they both failed. If anyone wants a medal or something put down a sigil right before you get on the boat and I'll try and hit it!

There are tons of summon signs near any boss or bonfire right now. Either you're not fully human/hollow or you have a network issue. Or you're way under/over-leveled for the area.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Use human effigy, not at bonfire

I think the default advice for 'how to get human/ all my health back' should be the small white soapstone. Way better method!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

White phantoming is detrimental IMO because their HP skyrockets. Just upgrade a mace and demolish them one by one, their attacks are so slow you have days to roll away from them.

Whoa, I was unaware that summoning white phantoms increased HP for enemies. How general is this? Boss only? That boss only? All enemies?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I feel like the 'No Way' emote should be renamed to the Mutombo emote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXtOuxBuvQ

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there any 'nice' way to get rid of a phantom or shade who helped you because you're done with what you wanted to do (which was NOT the area boss), and need to use a bonfire to move on or whatever? I feel guilty using the black shard thing to get them out of my world because I know that means they're not rewarded.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Airflamer posted:

There's so much bellbroing I can't even play the game

:allears:

Does it matter what zone you're in, to be summoned as a bellbro while wearing the ring? I understand you can't be summoned while in Majula but are all other zones equal chance, or are zones closer to the Belfry more frequent to summon you?

BreakAtmo posted:

For gently caress's sake. Is it common to have lag issues? I've lost all my Effigies because I just keep getting invaded over and over again, and they keep winning due to lag.

I haven't used a single effigy yet to become human. Try the small white soapstone.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Please don't summon white phantoms, and then make leaps of faith for poo poo you haven't collected yet :psyduck:

I've been summoned so many times just to watch a host jump off a cliff to their death after several minutes of going through the level. This is the one scenario where I miss GFWL because I can't message them about how much they suck and how they should die in a fire.

I've done that exact thing as a host. Sorry! It's just that sometimes a bro needs help to get through and area and back to his corpse/souls, or just mistimes a jump.

Umberger posted:

Resists work in an odd way.

Weapon A has 200 physical
Weapon B has 100 physical 100 lightning
Enemy A has 50 armor/resist to all types of damage

Hitting Enemy A with Weapon A gives you 200-50 = 150 attack.
Hitting Enemy A with Weapon B gives you (100-50) + (100-50) = 100 attack.

I did not know this -- that's amazingly informative and pretty counter-intuitive. I thought defense/resist ratings were part of some formula more complicated than 'subtraction'.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

White phantom question: say you summon a white bro to accomplish some goal (like clearing an area to get an item or to get to some souls you dropped on death), but do not want to engage the area boss yet.

After you finish the goal, is there a nice way to part ways with the phantom so you can bonfire/etc again? Waiting for them to time out would take forever. My understanding is that the Black Separation Crystal will send them home with 'no reward' which seems semi-rude to the phantom at hand who was probably hoping to beat a boss and get a reward.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How do you tell how many titanite chunks you have, if none of your items need chunks for upgrades (yet) at the smith?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hahaha oh god I didn't realize that tab scrolled right.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone have weapon tips?

Currently using: Heide Knight Sword +5 and Morning Star +5 (depending on enemy). STR 21, DEX 18, FTH 40. I use a light of lightning bolts. I just beat the first boss of Iron Keep, so you can assume I have access to basically any weapon like boss soul stuff until then. What should I use, you guys got favorites? I can raise STR to like 45 straight up right now if I had to… just got 500k souls for killing an invader, wtc.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've been using the Drangleic armor set ever since I found it, and I have 1.7m SM now (SL128 with 285k free souls). When will I find a straight upgrade on this awesome armor set, in terms of stats for the weight?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

nah but it is a bit strange to primarily do your gaming on a PC and not have a controller in this day and age

No, not really. When PC players are regularly posting autohotkey solutions to make basic moves doable, FROM messed up somewhere.

In other news, I was bellbro'ing and got invaded by a blue arbiter spirit (sentinel?)… when I have no sin status. That was weird.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PVP help/questions, I need to gitgud: in the luna belfry, a lot of people I end up fighting have light/med armor and are power stancing something and/or using light, fast weapons (dex or 'quality' weapons). I understand that those builds are really good in pvp, because they've killed me. But are people using that gear all game, or just for pvp? Like, when that guy goes out to progress in PVE and has to worry about durability and doesn't need to worry about enemies rolling away, do they switch to heavier weapons like greatswords or large clubs?

Also, when a red spirit invades you and you kill him, how is the soul reward determined?

I've killed a couple invaders that gave me a total of ~900k souls (hackers?) and now I'm at 1.7m souls in iron keep. But the PVP in belfry and via near-constant invasions is now off the charts hard because I'm a PVE build with lightning bolts and big weapons, and I'm facing really specialized PVP builds like dex+hex. It's just hard to hit a light armor fast-rolling PVP enemy. I'm wondering if DEX weapons are any good for PVE (I keep reading their scaling is bad), because it's weird to see things like large spears and halberds scale primary DEX -- their movesets seem cool, so do their base damage and moves overcome their scaling?

edit: how could a hacker SL800 guy with several million soul memory invade my ~1m soul memory guy? Aren't invasions supposed to be matched on soul memory (within a range)?

pmchem fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 28, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Omniblivion posted:

I'm bummed because the frame rate is awesome and it looks great overall, the controls are just unmanageable and I'm not buying a controller for my PC.

Anyone else experiencing this? I think I read something last week about people having a workaround for the lovely controls on KB+M, but this thread is moving like my bowels after eating in-n-out

StarkWhite posted:

The mouse controls are such absolute garbage that I remapped the attacks to Q and E, but the mouse camera control is so superior (plus not having to claw hand the controller when you want to run) to controller that I STILL prefer it over sticks. M+K isn't up to par with what we'd expect from games in 2014 but its still a competitive and potentially, in my opinion, superior option.

There are lots of variations of ways to improve the kb+m controls using AutoHotKey scripts, but this is the one I'm using:

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{t}
return

Enjoy. H is my R1, U is my L1, T is my R2. That gets rid of input lag on raising shield and lets you perform guard breaks / leap attacks using extra mouse buttons. I do R2 attacks via keyboard. After you remap the other menu keys to whatever you prefer life gets easy. I use 'E' for interacting/use item, for example, and Q to toggle target lock.

The only thing you have to watch out for is not accidentally attacking a NPC when left-clicking on some prompt.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GhostDog posted:

I think it's okay to have that option but it should probably be more expensive. It's hard to resist considering it means I can stay at 100% health without burning effigies. It seems to make a lot of the mechanics surrounding death a bit superflous though.

Small white soapstone is the best thing ever for that -- I haven't used one effigy yet.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Restarting your char is never the right answer in :darksouls:

People say things like that in the Dark Souls 1 thread, "I did X so now I'm screwed gonna roll a new char" and it only makes us :confused: because that's not really a thing that can happen.

Haven't there been a lot of people who restarted characters because they were invaded by a hacker, killed the hacker, and now have some giant soul memory total which is both making coop summons harder to find and invasions by other high SL/SM hackers more frequent? I recall seeing posts both here and elsewhere about hackers ruining characters' SM.

And yeah, that's happened to me. SM 1.9m after killing 2 hackers and I haven't cleared Iron Keep yet. I'm getting invaded about once every 20-30 minutes by red phantoms no matter what zone I'm in. Seriously considering restarting and either making preventative backups or just hoping being at the low end of the SM curve will make it less likely that hackers end up invading me on the second go-around. What would you guys do?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress I just realized what Iron Keep reminded me of

I was thinking something slightly older...

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Domattee posted:

Yeah just tested it too and it doesn't increment. No idea how I got that extra 1M SM :psyduck:

If you killed two SL850 hacker invaders you'd get just under 500k souls from each of them. That happened to me.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

flowinprose posted:

Doctor Zaius posted:

Ugh, just beat an invader who dropped 400k souls, how jacked is my SM now?

:shrug: Unless you are just starting the game or trying to co-op with a specific person, this will probably have very little impact other than giving you a head start on your soul levels.

It really depends. I got like 1m extra souls from killing 2 hackers while on my way to light my second primal bonfire. Because my SM was so jacked up after that, my ability to coop with ANYONE via laying down a sign became more limited, I saw far far far fewer shade signs to summon, and I also got invaded VERY frequently (once every 20-30 minutes by reds) because I guess I was one of the few very high SM matches to hackers in those ng areas.

It all annoyed me so much I started a new char and am just hoping to blend in a bit more this time around. Maybe if my SM gets jacked on this guy at least the new char won't be as close to the high end of the SM distribution as my first (which I may continue to play at a later day, as the SM distribution in NG evolves).

I really hope VAC bans rain down like fire on any and all save game hackers. I don't even have sympathy for aimbot guys with VAC bans from other games who can't play DkS2 because they imported the whole VAC list, because honestly hackers can just go rot.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

Fashion Souls time!

Farming the berserker got a lot easier once I put on upgraded traveling merchant's hat and prisoner's tatters to go with my covetous gold serpent ring.

Does upgrading that hat improve its item find bonus?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I encountered a bug in Iron Keep that led to a death -- wondering if anyone else had this problem and how you dealt with it. In the Furnace room, I turned the wheel to turn off the furnace and entered it from the side near the Smelter Demon's fog door. I dropped down, grabbed the loot inside the NOW-DEAD furnace, and then was climbing the ladder to exit the furnace (toward the last enemy and loot in that level other than Smelter D). Somehow, the flames were still on, but ONLY at the doorway at the top of the ladder exiting the furnace. I was really confused since there was no longer a physical source for the flames. I thought maybe it was just a display bug. Anyway, I tried to time it and get through the doorway -- you can see where this is going, bloodstain due to flame trap from a de-activated furnace.

How do I fix this? Did I do something wrong in handling the area? I want to get that bloodstain back.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can you summon Lucatiel for the Pursuer in Iron Keep, where Smelter Demon was? I see her sign, but when I summon white phantoms for that they can't follow me to help. Kinda confusing why that's the case, too.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I was on my way to fight Lost Sinner and Lucatiel fell off a set of stairs and her phantom was vanquished. How screwed am I for finishing her storyline and getting her reward? Is it worth using, anyway? Will she appear anywhere in non-phantom form (I had already seen her in Earthen Peak before this phantom death) that I should just go kill her at before NG+?

In other news, I was gonna Bellbro this morning but as discussed, servers were down, so I just took that chance to do a run-through and loot grab in Belfry Sol instead. heh.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

If you need outside scripts and poo poo, it doesn't work. The good majority of people out there wont go hunting for this.

The days of not owning a controller on the PC are over (I don't even know why it was considered finished when back in the day we had Gravis Ultrapads and other controllers).

Straight up: If you don't have the Xbox PC controller you're loving yourself over.

Plenty of people don't own a controller and are playing this game just fine, so you're wrong. For people reading this thread or r/darksouls2, the effort level of spending about 3 minutes to download AHK, install it, and copy/paste a premade script is a whole lot lower than either a trip to a store to buy a controller and whatever software needed to make it work in DkS2 or ordering one online and waiting for one.

The amount of hate SOME POSTERS have in this thread just because PC players are _using_ KB+M is amazing. A simple AHK script fixes the game. People are enjoying the game, beating the game, and winning in pvp with KB+M, deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Elysiume posted:

The covenant seal will pulse if you can be summoned. There are a ton of zones where you cannot be summoned.

Whoa. Didn't know this. When you say it will pulse, are you talking about looking at it in an equip menu? Or from 3rd person POV at your char?