Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Wait, on Steam it says the game unlocks on the 24th. Are we getting the game a day early?

Simultaneous release/timezones etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I finally jumped on the bell covenant train today, and goddamn it is fun. There are also a lot of bad players who have obviously read up on gimmick builds but don't know how to play them properly. I've just been using the Drakekeeper's greatshield and Drangelic sword, but trying to switch it up by using the whole moveset of both. And then hitting them with the hunter's blackbow when they try to back off.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
If I'm invading someone in Belfry Sol, and there's an item on the ground which I pick up, is that item then lost to the world's owner?

If so, thanks for the Black Witch Domino Mask, guy.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

TopHatGenius posted:

Holy crap From Software that NPC invasion.

:golfclap:

I laughed like an idiot when it happened.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Anyone figure what the ring of the embedded does yet?

I'm not sure if it does anything else, but it gave me vigor, endurance, and vitality. Check the stats on the equip screen.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

Welp, in a hundredish hours of DS2 across multiple play-thrus, I've found my first ragequit boss: Aava in NG+ (on my NG character who ascetic'd the Outer Wall fire).

If I have a good shield, homing crystal soulmass one-shots me thru it. If I streamline for dodging, one mistimed bite attack one-shots me. If I have good armor, there's a particular pounce that drains all my shield stamina and one-shots me. Basically, NG+ Aava is just playing one-shot roulette for me. I'm doing "quality" build with enough equip load to have good everything, but if I am not pixel-loving perfect, I die in one hit from full health from three of the main attacks. I have now died to NG+ Aava approximately twenty times (beat her the first time on my first try!) and I give up.

For the soul mass - if she's close, run to her tail. If she leaps away from you before casting, run away from her and you can dodge them all in one roll.
I don't think it's worth relying on a shield for Aava, just learn the roll timings.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Vermain posted:

My "dream OIK"

That's excellent and sounds like a great boss, but it's just too immense. It's too much work for just one out of the many bosses that made it into the game.

Vermain posted:

Current OIK is easily the dullest fight next to Freja. It's a matter of hugging the fog gate, waiting for the one or two attacks where it's safe to attack him in melee, and then retreating. I've had him breathe fire six times in a row before. This is not good design!

Sure, when you put it like that it sounds boring, but it's no more or less boring than The Rotten, for example. Or The Pursuer. Or the Giant Lord. Or any other boss fight in the game, all of which consist of learning a pattern and then exploiting that pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Vermain posted:

I would vastly prefer 8 excellent bosses to 16 dull ones, and I don't think I'm alone on this.

Nobody is going to disagree with you that 8 excellent bosses are better than 16 dull ones, but unfortunately that's not the choice that the developers get to make.

quote:

It's the only safe way to avoid his wide fire breath
try rolling