Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So incredibly stoked for the PC release. I didn't get to do multiplayer much on my PS3 playthrough due to internet connection problems with the system, but no such trouble on the PC. This weekend has been booked. :unsmigghh:

To pass the time in the meanwhile I'm working on a submission for a fanart contest for that giant promotional knight statue they had at conventions. Which I don't expect to win but it would be hilarious.

As for anyone else who played 360/PS3 prior to this: Do what I'm doing and make your first character a Deprived, take [the right choice], and use what you get to help you decide on build. It's perfectly sound reasoning.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Another spoiler is that none of them is the pendant. :toot:

Of course to some that might actually be a disappointment. Dark Souls.

e. but I did edit that anyway, 'cause some people might only now just be waking up and seeing that there's this thread.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 21, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The quality-of-life and basic gameplay changes here are pretty much all-around fantastic. The world design and story have their ups and downs, but that's all pretty subjective.

Mans posted:

I think i'll cry if my pc can't handle Dark Souls II

The requirements seem pretty lenient, and to be sure, this is a game designed for last-gen consoles that's actually been optimized for PC this time around (DaS1 was not). If you have a PC that's been able to play any big-budget game release in the past few years, you're probably good to go.

Though, I do kinda wonder about both the cloth physics and the very fine-tuned dynamic lighting, and whether or not those will be highly resource-intensive.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Almost impossible this time around. Also you can get invaded by much higher SL players because of soul memory, so have fun.

It is possible, but it is brutal. Far more so than DaS1. It gets somewhat easier when you find ways to add attunement without actually having to level it, but even then it's going to be a tough swallow for all but the most patient players. It's a slog requiring immense tenacity this time around, rather than the way it was just a weird, quirky but flavorful playstyle in the first.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Minorkos posted:

Probably Cleric or Sorcerer. Magic tends to make things trivial in these games. Haven't played DaS2 though!

This is pretty true still. Might be even more so since (item-related) you can very easily obtain items that restore spell castings without having to rest.

Magic almost always trivializes bosses still. I'd advise using it sparingly if you're looking for more interesting battles there.

Some other item stuff (don't mouse over if you like discovering this kinda thing through your own experience):

Striking weapons, such as maces are incredibly good in this game. First playthrough was with a normal mace, upgraded without any elemental buffs, with modest strength, and it handily wrecked everything I came across.

Certain recognizable weapons returning from the first game have, in some cases, had their favored stat changed. This includes the zweihander, which now scales better with dex, and the estoc, which is better with strength.

Equip load has higher thresholds now, and this is somewhat disappointing as it makes heavy armor rather overpowered.

Equipment durability is a bigger concern now. Weapons have far less of it, in particular. It often pays to have a backup.

Shields aren't as reliable as before. 100%-physical-block ones are very rare early on. The penalty for having your guard broken is a rather lengthy stun that is nasty in PvE and pretty much guaranteed to get you obliterated in PvP. Overall the game wants you to rely less on them, it seems.

Dual-wielding is not only feasible now, but actually really good, and there's a new 'power stance' you can assume by holding down a button if you have the minimum stats+half again for what you have in each hand. It looks awesome and opens up entirely new move sets.

Hexes, the new spell category require both intelligence and faith. Builds that make the most of them have a tendency to be glass cannons, but the spells feel generally strong enough to make it fair.

There are also several new, distinctive weapon categories. Try them all.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kinda wondering if your name in-game will always appear as your Steam name or they'll actually be cool this time and let it show as the name you gave your character.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kanos posted:

Steam name would be vastly superior because if you wanted to RP you could just change it to your character name and/or whoever you're cosplaying as at will.

Oh good! That works in a pinch.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

"Dark Spirit Summoning Failed has invaded" :getin:

And this is why this is good

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

neetengie posted:

Nice, I can roleplay as Navlaan perfectly now! I just need to know his name as an invading spirit, and where I should put my white summon sign...

It's Royal Sorcerer Navlaan.

In fact, everyone who plans on PvPing extensively just change your Steam name to what's in the spoilered text.

It will be sublime.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Going to start my first PC playthrough as Bandit, mainly because I like the look of some of their starter gear and it isn't otherwise available until a good ways in. Speccing for dual Cesti, which apparently rocks now, plus melee-oriented Miracles like Force, and probably gonna be (covenant) a Sunbro, at least most of the time! Jolly cooperation and merry fisticuffs, all over Drangleic!

Minor item-related thing for multiplayer: There is a ring you can buy from the adorable cat you meet in Majula that ups your chances of seeing summon signs of friends.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Bandit also starts with only 2 points in adaptability though, which is pretty horrible.

True, and stat allocation might get a bit messy as a result. But, eh. Looks > Effiency. :v:

Also, gotta love the intelligence score of one.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

An important merchant requires 3 intelligence to unlock.

Wait, which one was that? I know the sorcery guy needs you to have 8, but psh sorcery is babies.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Straid, the Bastille boss soul trader.

Oh, that would figure.

If there ends up being something I really want, that's what Soul Vessels are for (will probably bump it up to 8 anyway just to fully populate Majula). Otherwise, though, I sincerely hope he mocks me for my idiocy in that that wonderful way he mocks everyone. :allears:

Incidentally, his voice actor is the same as Frampt's from the first game. The hex trainer is Laurentius, and the pyromancy trainer is Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles. :buddy:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I keep changing my mind on how to roll my first time out, personally. Are spells and such more engaging this time around? I thought at first I'd try someone that can do all four classes of magic, because hexes look rad, but not being melee is pretty boring except for the odd pyromancy in DS1 :(

Hexes are pretty great, but to get the most out of them, you need to really build your character from the ground up intent on it. As for sorcery, miracles, and pyromancy, they all have spells which serve as nice complements to melee fighting, as well as the usual set of long and short-range destructiveness, but the melee combat is wholeheartedly recommended as a primary focus.

Something to keep in mind: You can respec now. The item which allows it is limited, maybe six or seven (?) per playthrough found, but you can very safely try out all spellcasting schools, plus whatever flavor of weaponry, by making use of them.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Deprived is actually a really drat good idea for anyone who hasn't made up their mind. SL1, super easy to re-customize when you get the items and feel like doing so, and if you played any other Souls game you can handle the challenge.

Couple gearing tips, though:

Shields - A merchant in Majula sells three: A small shield (Warrior's starter shield), a 90% physical DR medium shield, and a 95% physical DR tower shield that has a high strength requirement. There is also a small shield in a chest down a tunnel behind the cat's house. It's going to be a while before you find any with 100% physical DR, and you should know that those that do have it tend to have higher requirements than they did in the last game.

Weapons - The tutorial area has a dagger, and there's a broken sword and shortsword available not far into the Forest of Fallen Giants, the first area you're likely to visit. Enemies also drop weaponry, and a particular enemy, should you choose to fight it, drops a pretty good straight sword.

Items - Don't forget to talk to the Emerald Herald to get your flask. Lifegems are super handy, and it will not be too long before you can get a virtually infinite supply, but careful early on. Poke around Majula for various other useful things.

Oh yeah, something to bear in mind for Deprived specifically, concerning equipment: Though you're naked after you finish character creation, you'll still have the 'imported' set -- that being the rags you were wearing in the intro -- in your inventory. They're not great stat-wise, but better than nothing.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 24, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So everyone who's logged in now is using a VPN and it's not that Steam just hasn't updated, right?

arrggh fuckin chomping at the bit here GRRR gotta souls :jiggled:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

SuicideSnowman posted:

Game doesn't unlock for another 2 hours.

So it was said, but it helps to be sure.

Time to be productive before Souls.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

I got my copy of Dark Souls from a contest on these very forums, my inept deaths among jolly goon co-op will be so sweet. Speaking of which, is there now a way to make it more likely to summon people you're actually friends with? Feel like I read that somewhere...

There's a particular ring that can be acquired from the start from a merchant in the hub area. Equip, pick a god, have your friends pick the same god, more likely to see their summon sign.

By the way: What god are goons going with?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

This is a hard game you guys.

It's hard to wait.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I want to leave work to go home and play Dark Souls 2 but I can't leave work to go home and play Dark Souls 2.

Life is hard.

Find your spare suit of plate armor, put it on, and if anyone asks what you're doing when you clank out just raise the visor, look at them, and lower the visor.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ready to launch in approximately 45 seconds! 52 seconds! 46 seconds! 49 seconds!

Steam. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Kind of shocked I already saw the Moonlight Greatsword though. Not something you'd expect a random guy to be carrying around.

It does look like it, doesn't it?

Pwnstar posted:

How do I get rid of this dumb mouse cursor?

I'd like to know this as well. Cursor is pissing me off.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

If you ever see the name La Doncella, give me a summon. I will be more than happy to lend my metal-plated pugilism to your noble cause. :madmax:

(Yes, I do find naming a Dark Souls character after an ancient Incan mummy who was a sacrifice to their sun god highly poignant, thank you. Praising even unto death and beyond. :sun: )

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Some harbor place near a ship, there's nothing for me there, but a highly rated message says there's a bonfire; guess I skipped some sequence.

No Man's Wharf?

There's some kinda neat treasure there, including a good ring, the viking pirate dudes can potentially drop a really good strength-scaling bow (also horned helmets), and the boss of the area is super goofy. You should go there.

Nathilus posted:

Hahaha this is hilarious I am getting my rear end KICKED. The enemy groupings they throw at you are pretty nasty even in the early game along with the base level hollows being WAY more reactive than the ones in DS1. Two I can handle. Three gets somewhat hairy. Beyond that I tend to die a lot (hello ballista room).

NPC AI can occasionally break, but when it's good, it's really good. Normal jackoff enemies will chase you all over the drat castle before you can shake them off and it's wonderful.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Those water giant dudes you got to fall down the elevator, "enhanced undead" they're called, can be backstabbed.

Try to do it. It's magnificent.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Oh my god, gargoyles

Anyone who went into this fight that played the first game probably knew exactly what was going to happen.

And it almost happened. I was legitimately expecting every single statue to attack.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Death is a game mechanic. As a punishment, it is not overly harsh (at least if you think of half/a quarter of your health as bonus HP). Don't let 'YOU DIED' get you down, no matter how many times you see it. We all make the same mistakes, too.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Oh my god I can worship a Rat King :lol:

Excuse me, the Rat King does not demand worship. He is a just and compassionate ruler that wishes the best for his subjects and demands only loyalty and vigilance in return. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

After I beat last giant am I supposed to head straight for The Pursuer?

You don't need to, and there's some good stuff to be found by exploring around the fortress using the key that you got. Beating the Pursuer is actually optional, but it does get you a shortcut to another area, a useful ring, and a very good heavy armor set, including one of the first-available 100%-physical block shields, though a considerable strength investment is needed to use it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So I'm at 500k+ soul memory...and only just finished the Lost Bastille. It's mainly from doing tons of multiplayer stuff, but drat. Fortunately I still see signs, so I guess that's okay.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

The Bell Keepers covenant is fun.

Should we feel bad about this?

It's ridiculous. I've probably died as many times as actually won bellbro fights, but it still feels pretty one-sided. Here and there are people who actually thought to bring a co-op buddy which drastically evens things out, and the occasional powerhouse, like this one NG+ dude in full Faraam armor and the actual Moonlight Greatsword which he wielded like a pro while mixing in hexes and pyromancy very unpredictably. That was a good match. He wrecked my fellow Bellbro and had me down to a sliver, but was gracious enough to let me get in a duel-bow emote (look, he impressed me) before finishing me off. You earned it, buddy. :patriot:

But yeah, most of 'em just stumble in and don't even know what hit them.

Dual-cesti, I gotta say, is really drat fun in PvP too. Encountered one other, and of course he was a shirtless dude with that one mustache. But, had one other guy who saw me switch out the estoc+shield I'd been PvE'ing with when I popped in and actually thought I was going bare-handed, so he proceeded to unequip his weapons entirely. :downs:

So far: Exactly one dark spirit invasion, in the Forest of Fallen Giants. And they left before they could ever find me. Apparently not all dickwraiths know that those cracked orbs are limited now.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

drat it, that white knight in the bastille and I killed either other so now I just never get his drop do I? :smith: Beat the boss though, it wasn't that bad though the next one in the bell tower really threw me for a loop. How the hell do I get to that fog door above the area with the white knight? It's driving me mad. If it needs me to open that pharros door I'm gonna be real sad, if not particularly surprised.

Yeah, it does. :v:

No worries, it's optional.

ed. Oh, wait, you were in the bell tower? Now I'm confused. Disregard.

But to answer your other question, yeah, you won't get that knight's spear now. It isn't the greatest spear anyway though unless you specifically are collecting Heide stuff.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

I'll probably play it again when I've finished some other stuff, but in lieu of the story that tantalized me from the begining in DsK1 right now the main draw for me is (like DsK1) the tourism aspect. I want to go see cool places and admire the poo poo and for that I can probably wait until there's a trainer or something so I can just mince around with my binoculars out. That and of course when Kay Plays starts up again and I can watch her play. That was more fun than playing it ever was.

Footnote: For those who are wondering about my title. It's from the DsK1 thread where my deattachment from the game and apathetic cheating drove Genocyber into a :spergin: rage.

:10bux: worth of rage.

Yeah, we can kinda see what might've spurred someone to get you that.

Either play a game and have fun or don't and go play something else.

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

oh you :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

No, seriously, it's fine to be critical, but there's a difference between that and being obnoxiously dismissive like, "eh whatever I'll just cheat to see the pretty parts and only watch streams".

But, there are far more important questions we should be asking ourselves. On that note:

RasputinVarez posted:

Regardless, KNIGHT OR SORCERER WHAT SHOULD I PICK!?

Be a knight! If this is your first playthrough, the melee combat would be the best thing to focus on, and the knight starts you off with some solid stats and gear. Sorcerer does not, and the magic, while fun, doesn't feel as engaging.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Welp, didn't take a torch down the big pit in town. Found the bonfire in The Gutter and just narrowly missed the platform it's on. Why does From keep making these lovely levels? No one likes them.

At this point in time it almost feels like a running gag.

That said, Blighttown was better. The Gutter doesn't quite strike the same note of surreal, oppressive squalor. For the most part, it's a bunch of scaffolding in the dark, though parts do at least look like some kind of domicile. There's one exception: The cave with the gigantic motionless bug and the at-first inexplicable silhouettes of the gas beetles shambling towards you. :gonk:

On a note related to those areas (kinda): do people have major issues with the jumping in this game? I find the sprint+left stick to be MASSIVELY easier than the sprint+double roll. And yet, there's all those bloodstains of people bungling off a jump, and I've even tried, as a white phantom, demonstrating how to do it to get to certain things (like the Human Effigy on a ledge in the first 'courtyard' area of FoFG), only for them to fumble it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

I think that's the other thing that niggled me as someone who thoroughly spoiled the game before hand. There is making references to another game in the series and then there is DsK2. HEY DO YOU REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1? THAT WAS A GOOD GAME! LOOK HAVE MORE STUFF LIKE THAT? IT'S SIMILAR BUT DIFFERENT :iiam:

While I'm sure the Old Dragonslayer worked some people up into a frenzy when I saw it, it was more a... "really?"

Kinda cynical, particularly on that last thing, but fair. Still, I think they were going for something deliberate with all of that. It's been suggested that Heide's Tower of Flame is (lore speculation/wankery)the remnants of a city founded by Gwynevere and Flann, the fire god she left Anor Londo to marry. There's also the Blue Sentinels being a lot like the Darkmoon Blades, the Heide Knights found elsewhere looking kinda like Solaire.

Speaking plainly, regarding the criticism: It's probably way easier to come by those impressions when you go into something knowing there are a bunch of giant fanboys of it who will happily be pandered to, and that thought can make you want to really pick it apart and see more negatives. One of those hype backlash effects (which the first Dark Souls suffers from as well, to some extent). It isn't wrong, but it is incredibly subjective.

For me, the parts of this game which really stand out tended to come a bit later. Strange for a game like this, but there are parts with actual narrative tension, plus some very clever design, that makes whatever story and atmosphere they're trying to tell with this game stand totally apart from the first one (though not without a connection here or there), really bringing the Drangleic setting into its own and not just a bunch of game levels peppered by Lordran references.

Sex Robot posted:

That's what earned my This is Dark Souls achivement. Flinging myself off of the edge of the gap at the jumping tutorial :v: You're probably right and I will probably get used to it, but old habits die hard.

Same. :downs::hf::downs:

Eventually got it completely down, yet still struggle with the DkS1 jumping.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

AParadox posted:

So on my first trip into the gutter:

Is this a normal ds2 glitch, or its my laptop freaking out?

Are you referring to that huge lump of textures to your left? Because of course the spooky glowing eyes on the right are normal.

But that texture thing is there on the PS3 for sure. Not even certain it's a glitch. I was planning on actually taking a torch down this next time to see if it was any clearer what it was supposed to be.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

AParadox posted:

Yep, the lump of textures, all I can distinguish is some random furniture, a car's wheel and the backside of a green baby's head.

I think I saw a painting of a woman in there too when I was down there. It seemed like a surrealist mashup of renaissance portraiture and random junk.

Maybe it's supposed to be a lump of garbage that they really got lazy trying to model?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The Crusher posted:

So I spent 3 hours last night protecting Belfry Luna with my shirtless bodybuilder. Powerstance dual cestus is still obscenely powerful in PvP for stun locking and guard breaking. I've got no idea what I'll do with 40+ titanite cynks, but that bell sure is safe.

Isn't it amazing?? :woop:

Dual cesti that is. Also protecting the bell but that's more just dumb stupid fun.

I want someone to set all the Bell Keeper guy's dialogue to dubstep so you can put it on loop while you bellbro.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

From a couple pages back, but: For the Executioner's Chariot, you can roll past the wheel spikes. Do this and there's no need to rely on the alcoves. As long as you're quick with the roll when you see the big fiery glow rounding the corner, you can pick the mages off without too much fuss, with less risk of getting boxed in by skellies.

Kimmalah posted:

As for the the Gargoyles, they are weak to lightning and (I think) magic in general. My only other advice is to kill them quickly because the new ones spawn as their health hits certain points and it's easy to be overwhelmed.

A good 'safe' strategy for them is to pick a single one to focus your attacks on. The thing about their health is correct, but as long as you stay intent on damaging only one, you will never have to face more than three. They don't have any sudden, fast sweeping attacks the way that the Ruin Sentinels do, so as long as you keep them all in your sights, it's not a hard fight to keep under control. It is, however, a somewhat long one if you don't have magic. Stay patient and keep moving and you ought to do fine.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

KoldPT posted:

What do you guys reckon I should level? Kind of want to get STR to 45 (50?) so I can use everything that depends on it, but I also want equip load :v:

Also, is faith worth leveling and, if so, to what range? I like having Lightning Spear around, and am also packing an Emit Force which is hilarious in PVP, but all the miracles I've looked at need super high faith investments (like 40s).

As was mentioned, Vigor is a good choice, but Adaptability is also tremendously worthwhile. There are some things which simply cannot be tanked, and for that, you just gotta dodge. Plus it seriously comes in handy in PvP.

Remember: If ever you feel you've slipped up or just want to try something new, you can redistribute your points by bringing a Soul Vessel back to the old ladies in Things Betwixt. For this reason, you should feel free to experiment without ever worrying that you're ruining your character.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

In order to avoid potential spoilers reading thru the thread (sorry!) I gotta ask if there's any real loss to understanding plotlines/story/etc on by not playing the first one.

You might miss a few nods in the early game, but the further you get, the more it diverges. Keep going! Play the first one later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Minorkos posted:

I don't really get creeped out by video games but a certain area (Brightstone Cove) kind of made me want to walk away from the computer

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through that area as an actual arachnophobe

Not really arachnophobic, but they sure did put some effort into making those spiders as creepy as possible.

And then you get to the enemies where you realize they're not just spiders, but body-snatching parasite spiders.

All in all, though, the enemies in this game that make me uneasiest are those gas-beetle things. Everything from the way they move, to the way they sound, to the utterly disgusting appearance of their bloated, hole-riddled backs. loving christ, Fromsoft.