Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nothing special or exclusive. They're all listed on the store page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I've been soapstoning in the beginning half of the Tower of Fire and I'm having a ball. Even helped a guy to a bonfire I myself missed!

Is this how jolly it was always meant to be? :3:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I didn't dare face those pigs until I had a +3 Fire Longsword on my belt. What the gently caress pigs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The Last Giant. I loving KNEW THEY WERE CYCLOPSES

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

oh my god what the hell I batted an airborne firebomb back to sender with my bastard sword

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It was airborne and I swung my sword and it honest to god made changed direction and smashed right in the head of the royal hollow that tossed it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I was of the opinion that the music is kinda lackluster in this game. Not getting up to the original's level.

Then I ran into the Skeleton Lords.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Can someone explain the reference in the thread title?

Then explain why they went with that and not "HURRAH FOR SKELETON"

He's an amazing merchant in the Wharf. Go see for yourself, the way down is in the Tower of Fire itself.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

How come nobody is invading? I haven't been invaded a single time since I started playing. Seeing tons of summon signs but nobody is trying to kill me which is a surprise.

Have you found the invasion covenant yet?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Reason posted:

So can anyone quickly give a tip on how to use the shield bash? When I hit it it doesn't do anything to monsters, so I tried to time it properly, but I just end up dying. I feel like I'm having a lot of trouble with this, I watched a video and that guy was able to pull it off on every attack to take down monsters.

I'm also wondering how you refill your health bar all the way after you've died a bunch of times, I was down to about half my hp left and decided to start a new character because I was having a lot of trouble.

You need to hit the weapon that's just about to strike you in mid-swing.

Ram an effigy in your chest or warm up your white soapstone. If you leave your host's world in victory (time runs out/boss dies), your hollowing is undone.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What, you didn't think the cathedral looked a LITTLE too familiar?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So how do I get to the place with that ring that gives me most of my health back?

Assume I'm starting at the Mujula bonfire.

There's a tunnel entrance next to the cliffside path that leads to the Victor Stone. It leads you to a little sewery bit.

When you reach daylight again, your goal is the big cathedral visible to your left. Hit up the bonfire to the right and put on your evasion face. You're going to be running past nearly a dozen of those big corroded hulks.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, so I found a magic mace in a room with a skeleton that just doesn't stay dead. The gently caress's up with him? There was something spitting out a status effect gas so I got out of there. It's next to the third bonfire in the huntsmans copse or w/e.

Didn't you see that laughing urn with a face? That's full of occult necrobrew. Smash the loving thing!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Walking on the huge sword was a pretty big surprise for me too, but the next time I plugged the man on the far side and walked in backwards, you can clearly see there's a dude directly above waiting to drop behind you.

There's no teleporting. If anything, it'd be sporting to have a little "ha-HA!" when they do jump you from behind, but alas. Dark Souls.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

So uh there's a secret room past the Ruin Sentinels with a chest and a suicide bomber.

What was in that one? :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

RasputinVarez posted:

poo poo, Pre-Ordering bonuses

I don't like that, they kind of ruin game balance. I take it i get them on all my characters?

Just stuff them into your bonfire item box and forget about it. You don't have to even look at them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

When can I expect to see rewards for Sunlight Medal redemption?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If I'm only halfway through Forest of the Fallen Giants, about how long will it be before I can get to Harvest Valley to join the Sun covenant, and is there a way to get there early? It would be nice to earn Sunlight Medals while I'm still in the first few areas.

It's a ways away, you need to kill the Dragonrider at least. You need the priest lady's help to rotate the weird contraption in the Fire Tower tunnel to open up the way to Huntsman's Copse. Harvest Valley is beyond another boss in there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Man, it's like nothing has any kind of resistance against bludgeoning damage. Maybe this is From's way of saying "AND THIS IS WHY PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE AGES DIDN'T GENERALLY HACK AWAY AT BREASTPLATES WITH SWORDS".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I've seen only a single one.

Pilgrim Bellsomethingorother just before the Ruin Sentinels, inside a busted jail cell with a skeleton.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Traitor Henk, the wondrous mantank of Lost Bastille.

Ironclad armor, elite knight boots, royal swordsman accessories. Two-handed Tower Shield + backup Dagger. Absorb every hammerstrike, deal 200+ damage to a Sentinel per shield whack. I'm also pretty good at holding down the room full of royal flambergers while the host splats the stragglers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Didn't occur to me yet, whoops. The Sentinels really like pummeling me over the others anyway, so it's not a big loss.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh and gently caress reading three thousand posts. Have we settled on a ring god yet?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You know the bonfire on top of Sinner's Rise? The one with three crossbow/flamberge royal swordsmen in aggro range? That kinda blows until you take the 20 minutes of drudgery to extinct the pricks.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

the bonfire near Straid is much, much worse :negative:

I don't think so, actually.

If you stand in place after getting up, they don't care about you. This means you can take a shortbow +1 and plug two of them with a wooden arrow each before heading off the last one with a single longsword slash. The rest of the room is trivial.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You mean you didn't see him start violently flopping around like a bus-sized salmon on dry land?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

This is where the Souls games get confusing for me since its not exactly clear on what it means to be Hollow. There seem to be two states in the curse; undead by retaining your mind, and mindless undead known as hollows. The process of turning into a hollow is called hollowing. Also, when you lose your humanity you are called hollow even though you still have your mind. Plus the games suggests that the process of becoming a mindless hollow is irreversible, but you can reverse being hollow itself. Not the mindless kind of hollow, just the not human kind and also :suicide:

Its really confusing. I'm reading the story under the impression that once an undead loses their mind, they can't get it back. Acquiring souls and humanity will slow the process, but not reverse it. At the start of the game you don't remember anything but then your humanity is fully restored, so you can't be permanently hollow like the mindless undead are.

When the darksign goes on you, your life force and humanity slowly start evaporating away with every experienced death until you turn into a gibbering zombie that mindlessly lashes out at others in order to get their souls to ease the pain.

There's a spectrum between happy undead and a proper hollow, but the player characters are special. They're always on the very brink of going completely cuckoo, but can anoint themselves with humanity or whatever to restore that surface veneer of sapience and sanity until they get crushed again. It's a gameplay concession, I'm sure. Calling the frumpy version of the PC a "Hollow" is pretty confusing, true, but even the NPCs don't go "ahhh, a zombie!" but more like "jesus, are you alright? you look like you're running on fumes!"

Undead NPCs in Dark Souls tend to have one remaining straw left, this one obsession or goal or hope that keeps them from going full jerky. Crestfallen Warrior lost it when the PC undermined his conceited view of the prophecy being a con and hanging out in the Shrine being the best of all possible options. Siegmeyer lost it when the PC proved to him time and time again that he, a veteran knight adventurer, couldn't pull his own weight when things got tough. Laurentius petered out when he wasn't worthy of the Chaos pyromancies the PC had flaunted at him - probably the sole reason he kept going, considering that he ended every conversation with "let me know if you find anything weird, alright?". It could be said that the only thing keeping the PC going is the player - when the character gets deleted in frustration, they've slipped past the boundary.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Flytrap posted:

Personally I want to know how they got to Patches without killing Pinwheel. Did... did they climb over the coffin?

It's weird and suggests the layout might've been different earlier in development. Or that Pinwheel was out of the house and wizarded the lid shut while he was at Nito's, trying out this week's version of his body splitting ritual.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

The only worthwhile upgrade is a fashion souls upgrade.

Grave warden head wrap + transparent breastplate + long gloves of your choosing + catte pants

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do I need to put points into attunement for slots to cast miracles or? How does that work?

Of course you do. They're spells, just like sorcery and hexes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The Last Giant, Old Dragonslayer and Ruin Sentinel only have a single, build-specific use (superheavy greataxe, Fth-Dex intensive lightning spear, sorcery spell). Pursuer, Flexile Sentry and Dragonrider turn into so many things that it's likely that at least one of the options might be more useful than just a lump sum of souls.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea what causes certain messages to be rated highly. For some it seems completely random. I saw one that simply said "message" in a bonfire room that had 1000+ votes.

That's to DS2 what the Parish bridge scrawling "Skeleton?" was to DS1.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

Isn't there a rare spawn enemy in Belfry Sol that only shows up if you're part of the bell keeper covenant? He can drop a weapon.

Yeah, the skeleton Predator. Is he an anime reference or something?

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 29, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The rule of thumb is that if it doesn't bleed, it dents.

He also gains straight damage resistance when he's doing his dramatic huff-puffing and self-impaling routines. Don't waste your magic when that happens, no matter how open he is.

There's also one last (non-belfry) bonfire, uh, 6 rooms forward from the Smelter Demon's archery funhouse.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 29, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Zero Initiative posted:

I'm starting to think I should just not bother defending myself against dark spirits for the time being. My previous invader ended up giving me several million souls and royally loving up my SM on my new character.

The cheat engine makes me sad.

I've done this, actually.

I'm not a cheerful guy and don't trust red invaders to play fair anymore, so when some prick jumps in unsolicited between me and my bloodstain, I just express disappointment. Stand in the open without a shield (probably in my usual prisoner rags too) and just shrug at them when they show up. Then I slowly walk up and turn my back to them. Maybe shrug once more for emphasis. Take your token if you need it so much, small man.

The bizarre thing is that it has worked in 3 out of the four most recent invasions. They've just hosed off and jumped into a pit. :psyduck:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

What I'm getting at here is don't be a passive aggressive dickweed about PvP, there are plenty of ways to circumvent/cope with it.

I'm not being a passive-aggressive dickweed about PvP, I'm being a passive-aggressive dickweed about someone holding my enormous unspent lump of souls hostage before I can even properly stand up after a death. I also didn't bank on people psyching themselves out.

When the PvP works, it loving works. The few invasions I had just past the launch were a fantastic bare knuckle affair that got my blood pounding.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It could do with a little ~ flourish between YOU WHEEL and YOU DEAL.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

So does ringing the drat things do anything other than serve as an audible middle finger to any phantoms present?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

So what's the significance of the Giant Lord using a sword and clothes crudely imitated after Gwyn's belongings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Syan swordsmen, hollow halberdiers and the Pursuer.

Alonne knights are too fast, other hollows are too unpredictable and lion warriors don't seem to be parryable at all.