Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It will use Gamespy.

MP on PC will probably last about that long anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
He made a joke, I also made a joke. :shrug:

I was just PvPing minutes ago, it's definitely still fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Judging by the console versions this won't be a problem. Connections rarely fail and when they do its often due to the host dying or the phantom being summoned by someone else. The more pressing issue will be the soul memory system and how it complicates the matchmaking.

Part of the problem (IIRC) with the PC Dark Souls 1 version is that a lot of people don't have the right Xbox ports open, since when you connect an actual Xbox it opens them, but it still wants them for GFWL. So you get tons of failed connections and such. I invaded 20 different people in the space of an hour at 6AM GMT -7, so there's plenty of people on 1. Most of the hackers have moved on as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
From what I understand the KB&M controls can be entirely remapped this time, including sensitivity so it all works just fine out of the box.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So whips actually function somewhat like whips now. Additionally, there aren't any super neat Dragonbone Fist-esque weapons, but the Caestus use Striking damage, which is extra good against basically everything, making a dual Caestus run more than an exercise in frustration.

Orv
May 4, 2011

pmchem posted:

I agree, this message below is worded terribly:

Does that mean that ANZACs will be first to play, at Friday 0800 AEST, and everyone else has to wait for Friday 0800 local time before the servers will accept a connection from your IP? That would seem to make no sense. It could be bypassed via VPN if it's IP based, or via changing computer clock if it's just a timezone/settings check. On the other hand, if it's "everyone on Earth" plays at Friday 0800 AEST, the servers are gonna get crushed and the phrasing of "may pre-install the game if they purchase on the Thursday, however they will be greeted with a message notifying them that the game is not yet available" and "Consumers in Australia and New Zealand will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC" is really weird.

I just want to play when it unlocks on Steam tomorrow. I hope they're not teasing us here but I my google-fu is failing at finding a definitive statement. Anyone else have a solid reference?

The way it's phrased implies that servers will come up at 0800 AEST April 25th, which is when the game releases for the rest of the world, so who fuckin' knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Their Facebook just posted a couple hours ago that;

Dark Souls Facebook posted:

Dark Souls II on PC unlocks on Steam at the following times:
4/24 - - 3:00 PM PDT
4/24 - - 6:00 PM EDT

With no mention of their ridiculous wording or server specific nonsense earlier, so... :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm gunna be a wizard, as it is the one standard start I haven't done on consoles.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Das Butterbrot posted:

If you're gonna follow the pure caster route, be prepared for a rough start. OTOH, you will be a demigod in late-mid and endgame.

Yeah it won't be pure caster, I'll grab a mace early on to carry me until I get to the not-poo poo spells.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is the whole thing where you lose a chunk of your health when you die as dumb unnecessary bullshit as it sounds?

Just get used to the idea that 25% of your max health doesn't actually exist and don't worry about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nibble posted:

DS2 has the same general set of actions, in the sense that there's blocking, roll-dodging, parrying, backstabbing, and kicking/bashing, right? I know the engine changes mean a lot of the timings and such will be different, but are they fundamentally the same? How does the dual-wield "power stance" work, can you block and/or parry from that?

The kick is now a shorter range backhand which confers the same effects, everything else is the same, though parrying has a smaller window. You can riposte from a guard break (the backhand) now, instead of just a parry. Cannot parry in power stances.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even as someone who has issues discerning +25FPS, this looks nice. (Make sure you actually set it to 1080/60.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 23, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
The audio quality in 2 is crazy inconsistent, but mostly not that great. There is some good stuff though.

I just can't wait for all you guys who didn't play the console version to be driven slowly mad by the grass in Things Betwixt.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nibble posted:

Parrying has a smaller window? I was just barely starting to be competent at it in Dark Souls, sounds like I'll be back to square one :(

Yeah they've decreased it with each iteration. On the bright side, there are fewer attacks like the crazy freak out hollows do in 1, but it's also usually just easier to dodge than parry anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Danith posted:

If I hook up a DS4 controller, will I get the right button prompts? My 360 controller is having issues (right bumper doesn't always work)

Nope.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just wanted to point out that this Steam group exists and a bunch of old DkS1 PC hands and people who are double dipping will (probably) be in there to answer questions come launch. Stop by, hang out, occasionally get harassed by pubbies who think we're dishonorable (true story).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Atlasesque posted:

No. Pretty simple really, I've done it for other things, but I won't speak to it since I haven't done it for circumventing Steam.

No-one has ever gotten banned for unlocking a game early with a VPN. It's buying from another country with a VPN that fucks you.

It's pretty simple. Go to the FlyVPN site, download the Lite client, exit Steam, use the Free Trial login to login Japan 02/03, launch Steam, decrypt game, launch game, disable FlyVPN, don't close the game until 6PM EST.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Any secret wall that actually opens with the interact button will also open regardless of messages in the way. Don't waste your time with Illusory Wall messages if it doesn't open first try.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brain Fog posted:

What the hell was with that area in Lost Bastille at the holding cells where you go down the elevator and there's just a ship in the ocean?

Go back the second Heide bonfire and nose about upstairs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just beat Najaska and now found what looks like a Dwarf Fortress, complete with murderous elephants. Is there a bonfire anywhere near the entrance? I have no estus between the boss fight and the first room and don't want to hike all the way back to the bonfire on the bridge.

EDIT: Oh my god I finally find a mimic and of course there are no warning messages. :suicide:

Oh hey, what's your SM right now, maybe you can come visit my funhouse. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

Wondering this too, just fought my way back to where he was and poof, gone.

Gavlan goes from Wharf to Harvest Valley to Doors of Pharros each time you talk to him, and then stays at the last one selling infinite supplies of his consumables.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's no real reason to finish DkS1 if you don't want to except to see all the neat stuff that certain DkS2 items call back to.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Trying desperately to think of a way to warn my host of the trapped chest under the ballistas in FoFG, hoping and praying it's poison, NOPE CROSSBOW, world master has been killed. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
If anyone has a spare Old Knight Shield, or Old Knight UGS they don't want around 120K SM I'd love you forever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Can anyone help me out with this? I think I've encountered a glitch.

I believe putting a lockstone there is supposed to open the door, but its kinda stuck. Anything I can do? Just to make sure I put a stone in the slot on the right side as well, just didn't get it in the picture.

Yeah the floor Contraption opens that bottom section, if it didn't work you may be hosed. Try resting at a bonfire and coming back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

GeDoSaTo is what you're looking for but with VAC just being patched in I'd wait a couple days and see if anyone gets banned for using it, just to be on the safe side

There's also a few ENB profiles out there, most of which aim to restore the "original lighting", problem being that it restores said lighting to areas that clearly weren't intended to be like the pitch black FoFG area they showed off and it's just awful.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't know if I've seen an ENB for any game that isn't awful

That's because most people who make ENB presets have the aesthetic sensibilities of a giraffe being hit by a bullet train.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why ENB Is Awful:

Not only does it look lovely, it makes the Amana mage's projectiles... invisible and silent.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wild Knight posted:

So wait, does GeDoSaTo VAC-ban you or not, because I've been looking at this nexus mod all weekend (it's just Zelda textures, don't worry) and was wondering if rolling a Link character would be more viable in this game than the first because you can actually use swords in your left hand now, but if I might get VAC-banned for it theeeen it probably wouldn't be worth it.

ninja edit bahaha posted right after that huge cheat experiment, I feel awkward now.

If people do get banned for injectors there's gonna be an enormous swathe of people banned, so who knows how that'll go down.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mariposa posted:

Is there any way to ignore the messages people drop right in front of illusion walls? They make it impossible to trigger the wall.

They don't actually. If there is an invisible wall pressing the use button in front of it will always override the "Read" prompt, so if you see a message and no wall opens it's a lie.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Was it the blonde dude in the basement of the ruins? That fucker can rock my poo poo with a 3-hit combo IIRC. Its only him who I've seen do it though.

The regular Warriors have three attacks that I'm aware of;
- Regular swipe
- Swipe and then a weird leaping kick to the side
- Two swipes and then a leap attack

No idea how to reliably trigger the leap but the kick comes out all the time when you pull them back into the bridge area and fight them solo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cerepol posted:

He's talking about a legitimate issue where you can't activate the wall because you keep activating the message instead.

And we're telling you it's literally impossible for that to happen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

So is it normal when you're in the pilgrims of the dark to go straight to darklurker right after finishing the third chasm? 'Cause I did, and then immediately died and I'm still on the first rank of the covenant.

It is. Once you've done all three doing any one of them successfully will drop you into the Darklurker.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

For some reason nobody expects the drangeleic swords moveset, the amount of people I've killed with a strong attack combo at 20 END is sort of staggering. Belfry Luna is way more fun than Sol since you're much more constrained.

Literally everyone I have fought in Drangleic armor with the Drangleic sword today has been beyond awful, so they probably don't expect someone to use it properly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ulvirich posted:

I've been doing this today and it is great being able to shoot your previous co-workers with great resonate soul while masquerading as a trio of black powder kegs. I've also noticed most people don't equip the silvercat ring. And there's plenty of shortcuts to lower levels that cause dudes fall damage, especially the people in heavier plate suits. :gibs:

People think they're clever by just running drop circles up the first set of stairs and down, and it just ends in horrible violence. :unsmigghh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Go take a gander at earthen peak from harvest valley. the elevator is completely nonsensical.

Who caaaaaaaaares.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Once the fire is linked, souls with flourish anew, and all of this will play out again.

We've certainly get enough Dork Lords in here.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Man, the loving gargoyles are the sentinels only ramped up to absurd levels, the sentinels have the courtesy of having easily telegraphed attacks and, you know, there's only 3 of them in the room.

Look on the bright side, next Souls game will have 12 at once!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Oh my god. I just had a Bell Battle where all three of us were using ceastuses. One guy was naked with what looked like a cowboy hat and he was named "Speedwag." :allears:

I had that yesterday. 2v2 all punchmans in Luna, it was poetry in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is Sunlight Spear worth getting up to 52 faith? Should I spice it down is there another miracle worth doing that to?

It is absolutely worth spicing down, it does bananas damage.