Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Some of my favorite weapons in DS1 were the odd things like whips and fists, but they were generally much weaker than pretty much every other conventional weapon (no whip crits :argh:). Has that changed for DS2? Will Indiana Jones-ing it up work now? Also are there more new types of weapons beyond sword/bigsword/hammer/polearm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Orv posted:

So whips actually function somewhat like whips now. Additionally, there aren't any super neat Dragonbone Fist-esque weapons, but the Caestus use Striking damage, which is extra good against basically everything, making a dual Caestus run more than an exercise in frustration.

:swoon:

That looks great! Definitely gonna rock a whip at some point.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Probably gonna go with Explorer and then turn into Indiana Jones.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

A.C. posted:

e: I'll go ahead and throw this out there because I remember the crazy confusion of the DS2 thread during the first week of Console release, if anyone playing the PC version has questions that they want answers to, feel free to hit me up on Steam. I know the game like the back of my hand at this point and I know how easy it's going to be for someone to look over your post when this thread is getting hundreds of posts an hour.

Thanks, I sent you a friend request. I tend to have trouble with MAH BUILD :byodood: so I'll probably ask you about stats at some point.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Dropped by the petrified ogre thing in Aldia's Keep.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Artificer posted:

Any suggestions on equipment for a piratey sort of build?

I'm thinking crossbow and scimitar of some sort...

While most piratey swords are dex-based (curved swords, rapiers etc) and conflict with crossbows, the Melu Scimitar you get for giving Laddersmith Gilligan a bunch of money scales with strength. Lucatiel's armor is also pretty good for a pirate, or any other with the hunter hat and a cloak sort of thing.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Average Bear posted:

Should I go for a new faith/spells build, or just move on to NG+ with my Knight? I know there's a lot of new stuff in NG+ this game, so I'm pretty torn. Is magic that much different or have I gotten the gist from Pyromancy?

Why do people get like this when I try to discuss things in video games

Honestly, the only difference you'll notice from using miracles rather than pyromancy is higher damage and also you can heal. Functionally almost all magic is the same, as in you hit a button and damage happens. There's a far greater variety in melee weapon feel vs spells, at least from my experience.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

An elemental shield (like the preorder dark-resistant one) that is properly infused can make you almost immune to the attack.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

You can actually get a riposte critical while they're staggering but the timing is a bitch so it's easier to just wait until they sit down and then do it.

I never realized how fun an ultra greatsword could be! After mostly using dex weapons and getting annoyed at slapping dudes forever it's nice to one or two shot most enemies and chunk bosses for several hundred a swing.

BlueDestiny fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 3, 2014

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Jimb posted:

Just being overconfident from my previous success, and promptly punished for it.

I mean the bonfire is RIGHT THERE! What could go wrong?

Always spend loose souls when you hit a bonfire. I'm usually overflowing with random soul items to burn if I need to buy something but I've never really been starved for them when you can farm bosses super easily.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Luckily, you get a free meat shield that Lost Sinner will happily mulch while you stab her in the back.

The only annoying thing about the fight is that carrying a torch doesn't restore lock on range.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Vesaldt did it, thanks.

I see that players enjoyed the dino asses in DS1 so much that they decided to run them back in Sanctum.

The dragonbutts were hilarious. You're in this burning ruined hell temple zone, and the first thing you see is a field of twenty foot tall walking butts. Not one or two, but something like 15. Just hanging around in the lava, doin' butt stuff. And you aggro one and then it jumps off into space and slam jams your face with a chaos dunk.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Come to think of it, a crossbow-ish weapon that used throwing items as ammo but launched them super far and fast would be a neat gimmick tool.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

It works on the Covetous Demon if you time it just as he kills the bait hollows! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So I have a whole bunch of questions for a longer post but a few quick ones first:

Does magic weapon negate the fire on my fire longsword or does it stack?

Is there any advantage to wearing cloth armor as a sorcerer?
I spent much of my early lvl points going towards str/dex/vit so I could sword&shield through the early game.
But now my int/faith is quite high as well and I'm wondering if there isn't some reason why I shouldn't continue to wear heavy-ish armor as long as I can move around well in it. (understanding that there are some cloth items like hexer's hood that have specific benefits to casters)
I'm pretty sure weapon buff spells add flat damage and boost the matching damage on the weapon. So if you use magic weapon on a fire longsword, it would get a bit of magic damage tacked on and a % boost to all magic damage already there (which is none since it's fire).

Aside from giving bonuses like tiny boosts to casting speed or a few stat points/spell casts, wear whatever armor you like. Casters only tend to cloth/light armor because it's easier to dodge and roll in without the huge stat investment heavy armor requires, and since they're usually at range they don't need to tank heavy hits anyways.

The Sanctum Shield is amazing for a mixed casting build, so nice to have almost all my spells on one hand :swoon: