Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Although roleplay builds can be fun.

I'm already thinking of an Indiana Jones build for a second playthrough. The whip is obvious, but I'm thinking pyromancy as a "gun" so I can reenact this scene.

edit: it's going to mostly hinge on whether I can find a hat. I think most of my first playthrough is going to be planning my outfit

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
I can work with that.

vvvv: even better!

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 23, 2014

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

So I'm kinda lost. I've got a shitload of boss souls and I have to scroll to see all my locations, but the only "big" souls I have are Lost Sinner and Old Iron King. I found the big castle from the crossroads, but the helpful flask lady says I need to be stronger. That means more souls, right? I assume I need to go back to somewhere I've been before, but I don't know where to go. Any hints?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

You need two more souls from "old ones" (Lost Sinner and Old Iron King are the first two). One is eventually accessed by getting the lady who sells miracles (Licia) to change the path that leads to Heide to a different path. The other is accessed by going down the pit in Majula. I'd recommend doing the former thing first, as that way you will find an NPC who can build you ladders into the pit so you don't kill yourself jumping.

You don't have to keep the any of the other boss souls, but you can trade them with certain NPCs for items so you might want to hold on to them until you're sure you don't need any of the stuff you can get for them.

Thanks. I've done both of those things, but apparently I need to keep going on each. I was hoping that the second one was optional, because it reminds me of Blighttown and I hated Blighttown.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Me I want the Black Witch's Staff :(

I got pissed off at the shrine of whatever on my Strength character and rolled a sorcerer. Just when I was thinking gee it'd be nice to have a Black Witch's Staff, I go back to the Strength character and guess what drops off the first witch I kill. :v:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

This is a pro-tip (literally?), thanks man.

Also applies to scythes too apparently. Makes me sad, the Great Scythe was my favorite weapon in DS1.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Elysiume posted:

If you disconnect after being invaded some set number of times you'll get locked out of all online play. Using the Bone of Order resets this, but you only get one (as far as I know). Either join the rat covenant or don't explore the zone.

According to one of the wikis you can get another by waiting for "hours" in the starting area. Sounds dubious and dumb, but w/e.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

I joined the ratbro covenant and holy poo poo am I having a good time. I'm chilling out in the first room of Doors of Pharros while alt-tabbed, tabbing back in when my controller vibrates (and shakes my whole desk :v:), and then wrecking the summoned dudes with my powerstanced great clubs. This game is great.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I had already found several doors saying "Produce the symbol of the king" so as soon as I heard "king's gate" I was like "OH HELL YES". I'd made mental notes to go back to those doors. That's the right way to approach Dark Souls, exploring and making notes. So I didn't even need her to say anything. But you can always google :cheeky:

I remembered where one of them was. I went back, went through it, and as far as I can tell there's nothing on the other side except for a giant/tree statue that doesn't seem to do anything. I guess I need to go somewhere else first?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've seen some really pretty DS2 screenshots. What are people using to pretty up their game?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/24/dark-souls-2-modded-durantes-gedosato-enables-downsampling-texture-modding/

Be aware, you've got to have a pretty good machine to do the stuff in the first one. I've just got a 560ti in my machine and doing the tweaks dropped me from 60 fps to 30. In the end I decided framerate was better than fancy anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

nftyw posted:

Don't use heavy weapons, people will see it coming a mile away and you won't ever hit anything.

My powerstance great club experience says otherwise. :colbert:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

nftyw posted:

If you are PVPing using powerstanced greatclubs then clearly you know what you are doing. What is the str requirement even like for something like that...

42 strength, so not that bad if you're SL 100 or so. And I really don't know what I'm doing, but I have won most of my ratbro fights. I just try to keep below 70% weight so I can fast roll away from stuff. The nice thing about really heavy weapons is it only takes a couple of hits to connect before you drop someone.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Man, I love playing Fashion Souls 2

I know, right? I was so disappointed that I farmed out all the dudes I that drop the Llewellyn set without getting the pants. I don't have any matching black pants (can't wear Straid's set because I'm not a sorcerer) and it makes me sad. What I'm wearing looks okay in screenshots, but they're clearly brown in game.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've been lending a hand in Iron Keep to get my last few Sun Medals and something odd just happened. I got summoned to do the second boss and the two other players kept "No" gesturing at me and refusing to go in. Eventually I just left.

All I can figure is that my gear (Elite Knight, shield, chime) was somehow seen as wrong for that encounter. Is equipment/build snobbery a thing, or did I just stumble onto a few weirdos?

If they were too dumb to realise they could use the Black Separation Crystal to make you leave if they really didn't want you (for whatever reason), then they weren't worth your time anyway.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I assume things like fragrant branches of yore and certain souls don't carry over to NG?

e: Also, can I safely sell rings if I have the upgraded versions? You can't equip the same ring twice correct?

You can sell stuff?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Do weapon buffs you apply stick around if you switch to a different weapon? As in, can you buff your main and offhand with pyromancy/sorcery/miracles at once?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Kanos posted:

The moment you put the weapon away the buff vanishes instantly. The only way you can buff both weapons at once is either with the caster hybrid weapons or by buffing your offhand with a staff/chime in your mainhand, switching to your mainhand weapon, then using a resin.

Bummer. I was looking forward to a dual flame weapon buffed +10 fire mace build, because there's no kill like overkill. I guess I can still do the mainhand. Presumably the 30% buff would help the offhand as well.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

What soul memory would someone have to be to give me ~129000 souls after I bellbroed them to death? Because I think I may have encountered my first hacker. Guy went down really easy though. Lucky I was at 2m SM to begin with, so this isn't going to screw me at all.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Is there any way to cheese the giant lord well? I can already tell this fight is garbage and bad and I don't want to deal with it.

Try fighting him the same way you fought the Last Giant, they have a pretty similar moveset. Stay at his feet, avoid the stomp.

In other news:

:sun: I wish I could roll like this, but it gets like half as much armor.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Is sunbroing viable in NG+? I can't decide if I should murder all my NPCs and become a dickwraith or try to help people/be a blue phantom.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

edit: ^^^^ it's great for farming titanite to upgrade your special snowflake weapons/armor too

Doctor Zaius posted:

I'm really contemplating if fighting Vendrick is worth it, this fight is not fun.

I didn't find it to be "worth it" from a reward sense other than the souls, but I found that fight to be on par with Gwyn from DS1 in terms of atmosphere.

Unfortunately, this (boss spoiler) happened to me twice :suicide:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Umberger posted:

If you stand behind his left foot, absolutely none of his attacks can hit you. I'd honestly wager that it's the easiest boss in Dark Souls 2 and probably one of the easiest in the whole series.

Yeah, the only problem comes when you back him up to the edge of the arena and you have trouble strafing around him. That's where basically all my deaths came from, either getting caught up on walls or trying to bait him back to the center.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Stay classy, Dark Souls.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Bells bells BELLS BELLS BELLS

Bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

So, getting a bit annoyed with the constant cookie cutter PVP stuff, I'm trying another shield-less character - a pyromancer using the Imported set you start with, and a club (or equally primitive looking weapon) but I'm curious about fire scaling. Is the damage on pyromancies acceptable without buffing INT, or what? I really have no idea how to read these numbers. :downs:

Some guy a few pages back tested it and found that high INT/FTH doesn't really raise your damage that much.

also holy poo poo I've put an absoultely shameful amount of time into this game since it came out and now that the server is down I don't know what to do with myself.

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 2, 2014

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

^^^ login server apparently down, although FROM's website says servers are up.

So I started a new character for a dexterity playthrough rather than respecing my strength guy. Drop my starting gift for the crows and what do they give me? Old Whip. :getin:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

How'd you check this? I couldn't find it.

People in this thread said it :v:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

What's up with all these people standing back and letting "honorable" 1v1s go on in the Bell Tower. If you want a fair fight go be a ratbro gosh darn it! :argh:

Wonky stuff keeps happening with the souls I get for the Covenant fights though. On my last playthrough it was with the Rats, now with the Bells I notice out of the blue that I've earned about 100k more souls than I thought I had. No idea what level someone would have to be to give that many souls (or why they'd get matched up with me in that case).

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I can't recall any characters in Demon's Souls that were conspicuously gigantic. The only possible case I can think of offhand is False King Allant, and he was just a demon.

:psyduck:

Ratbro can be quite fair, actually. Summoning them means they can't have sunbros to help them out. If you stand on in the middle of the room away from mobs and don't activate any traps it's a pretty even playing field. That's what I did during my time in the rat covenant, anyway.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

ALL THESE WORLDS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
THE BELL TOWER
ATTEMPT NO
TRESPASSING THERE

Powerstanced whips own.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

So I discovered something in Lost Bastille. Doing a running jump onto the barrel at the top of the stars above McDuff's workshop will fling you in the air down the stairs. Almost used it to get behind a guy and sneak up on him while invading, but I was laughing too hard and accidentally attacked. He heard my whips, and I think he killed me in the end.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

my character is based of Sigmund from Crawl

You monster.

I wanted to do the same thing with rushing for the Brotherhood of Blood, but I can't handle the chariot fight on my own. I always end up in a situation where I need to be in one of the alcoves and there are two or three skeletons who will wail on my shield until I run out of stamina. With another person, no matter how incompetent, there to distract skeletons I can handle things just fine.

edit: eventually I didn't find anyone to summon and I gave up. Did my low level PVP as a bellbro.

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 6, 2014

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Speaking of invasions, where would you guys go to invade at about 1 million soul memory? I've been doing Lost Bastille on the basis that people will always be at McDuff's to upgrade their weapons, but I'm open to suggestions.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Daynab posted:

Get staggered, Smelter Demon. (Yes, I actually managed to)

This is the most hilarious gimmick. I've got Hidden Weapon for PVP. Still cant kill many people cause of how heavy it is.

I really want to powerstance those. I even have two. 75 STR through, ouch.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

Had a weird experience in the fight that gets you the Ring of Blades +2:It was kicking my rear end pretty thoroughly until one of them caught me with the impale-and-curse attack. The other Pursuer then decided to go smokey and sink back into the floor, making the fight way easier. Does this happen every time, or was it lucky glitch?

I'm pretty sure it's a consistent thing, I've heard people suggest that you bait that attack out for that reason.

efb

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 7, 2014

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

I'm so poo poo at this game :smith:

Went through duels losing about twice per win to get 30 red eye orbs. Figured that I'd fare better against people who don't PVP all day. Nope. My record was 5 kills, 2 afk, and 14 losses before I got discouraged and gave up.

Maybe I'll just give up on this dex character and go back to my powerstanced great club guy. I don't know if that would be any better.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

It was dumb, but I did it. 75 STR and a combined weight of 52 units, but I can use them without even having to fatroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

It deals damage over time Smelter style to both the caster and those around them. At least supposedly.

The only time I saw it used was by some dude during a Blood covenant duel. He was terrible, and once I Estused (because he did it first), he turned on infinite health.

I have a dim view of that spell, now.