Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man am I ever glad I only have a 750m so I don't need to care about the graphics.

I played through DS1 with DSMfix, should I go out and get a gamepad for DSII? I already have the wireless 360 controllers, but I'm less than enthusiastic about having to either buy a 40 dollar wired controller or a 30 dollar wireless receiver (I'm in Canada, we get boned on prices).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Got a PS3 or PS4 pad? Those will work fine as well.

Unfortunately no - I have a 360 that I basically only use for netflix so I can just grab my controller from that.

Basically what I'm wondering is whether or not I should just say 'gently caress it' and buy the receiver or try and muscle through on KB&M.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sweet! Up and running for me~

Course I have an event I need to go to, but it'll be ready on my return!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dexters Secret posted:

AutoHotkey script for those using KB+M controls, first make sure left click and right click are unbound from attacks. Honestly I unbound everything in my mouse keybind section.

Then you use this:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

The ~ means that the left click still goes through. It will now also send a keypress, in this example I used h and g. The SetKeyDelay is needed for key press duration.

Okay this is pretty chill, but uh. How do I get this to actually run with dark souls? I have the ahk script running... I think, but it doesn't seem to be working.

My script looks like the following:

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

~*XButton1::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

~*XButton2::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{y}
return

I have that in a .ahk file in my dark souls two game directory but nothing seems to be happening when that happens...?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 25, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

HellCopter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OybT0-Ui5a0&t=213s

e: ugh you beat me to it. But this video jumps to combat so it's better so I win

Oh, goes without saying, spoilers for later game areas.

I think Space Jam is the official Dark Souls themesong now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So anyone have any advice for me wrt the Ruin Sentinels? Because even with three people they're kicking my rear end. I'm at SL52 powerstancing +2 maces and I'm barely chipping away at their health.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I'm an idiot and just realized you could have four rings on at once. I'm SL70 :suicide:.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I've always meleed it up, both in Dark Souls 1 and as an explorer start in DS2. I'm powerstancing maces and generally doing alright, but I'm getting a bit bored and want to branch out into magic. I'm SL63 and have a few soul vessels to respec - what equipment/spells/stat allocation should I look at?

E: Basically anything but pyromancy, which bores me. Miracles/sorcery/hexes - I don't really care.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

This isn't lore chat but after so long playing Dark Souls KB&M using a controller is weird and is getting me killed all the time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So is it normal when you're in the pilgrims of the dark to go straight to darklurker right after finishing the third chasm? 'Cause I did, and then immediately died and I'm still on the first rank of the covenant.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man the shrine is difficult as gently caress but I'm loving it. It's very fair.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Honest Drangleic castle was quite underwhelming to me from a design standpoint. Could've been a lot more interesting, in my opinion. Making the rooms visually distinct would help too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man the shrine of Amana was piss easy the second I bought a few hundred lightning arrows from the chancellor and just sniped everyone with the dragonrider bow.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh my god dickwraithing is so fun while being a bellcop. Seriously, I'm not lacking at all for PvP, and the soul gain is minimal enough to let me basically spam GRS and make a liiiiitle profit, so my SM is staying nice and tidy at 1.2 million. So much fun, and I haven't died in the past ~10 matches. Hexes are so OP.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

What, do resonant spells subtract the souls from your soul memory? That doesn't sound right.

I wish (I don't, that'd be absolutely ridiculous). No, not from your Soul Memory but given the relatively meager gains of PvP you're still not skyrocketing in SM, unlike sunbroing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hey, anyone else getting a message saying that the dark souls II service is not available?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

What I like most about PC controls is that you can run and still be able to look around, which can be super convenient. The ease of a controller makes up for it though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Okay seriously what's that helm

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

It's back up!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lucatiel :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Shrine of Amana is no big deal you just need to be a member of the caster master race is all.

Just snipe the priestesses from a mile away with Lightning Spear, what's the problem? :smugdog:

I prefer lightning arrow. Much better range!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Holy poo poo the Dragon Shrine is kicking my rear end.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Okay. Note to self. don't lock onto ancient dragon.

Round three!

E: And third time was the charm! Barely made it though. Even with Gower's and the +2 knuckle ring the Gower's broke literally on the last fire breath. I think it caught a few stops too, which I was grateful for, 'cause he stomped me (and I survived) just as I mace frenzied the last of his health off.

Also definitely a boss easier without summons.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 7, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sihastru posted:

so there's nothing in the OP but is there a decent fix for us keyboard&mouse players yet?

Create an autohotkey script, which can be difficult and annoying but w/e:

Mine is as follows if you want to use it but it'll only work if you have 5 mouse buttons (also I never did figure out how to get the active window thing to work so you'll need to use a hotkey to activate it).

quote:

^p::

toggle := !toggle

return

#if toggle

~*LButton::h

~*RButton::g

~*XButton1::u

~*XButton2::y

~*MButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{o}
return

WheelDown::
Send {L down} ;
Sleep 200 ;
Send {L up} ;
return

WheelUp::
Send {J down} ;
Sleep 200 ;
Send {J up} ;
return

#if

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man Licia was actually very hard to kill with her WoG spamming and incessant healing. eventually said gently caress it and hexed the poo poo out of her, which took awhile and a lot of souls but worked out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, she's no joke. After dying to her twice I decided to change up my tactics and stunlock her. Her poise is poo poo so every time she tries to start a cast I'd smack her out of it. Couldn't do much anything at that point.

I tried that for awhile but didn't have quite enough stamina with my dual maces.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Truly I have failed at fashion souls.

Anyway Nashandra was honestly pretty easy, but only because I summoned Benhart to finish up his questline while I sat back and spammed GRS. Underwhelming, but my fault.

Also turns out the Emerald Herald was by the Throne of Want! Guessed who entirely missed her and thus all her dialogue!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man so I'm doing the kill all NPCs before NG+ and blue phantoms are really coming in hard and fast. Still 3 for 1 on them but people should sin more! I don't want to be the only one constantly facing invasions :(.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I'm going to newgame and I'm loving bored of powerstancing maces with dark and lightning enchant. I'm still probably gonna keep a'hexing away, because it's fun, but I need a new weapon to play around with. Maybe dexterity based.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Yeah I'm specifically talking about the OIK. He has a ton of large AoE stuff that punishes being closed, but is trivialized by being far away (or especially behind the corner). Hell, you can't even hit him in melee a good amount of the time, and he's straight impossible to circle-strafe. Meanwhile on my miracles playthrough I easily beat him on my second attempt (on my first attempt I discovered there is a hole in the platform).

Seriously as a fast-attacking dex character I might as well not even put my sign down.

Wait, what? As a caster it was waaaaaaaaay easier to get in close and hit him when he tried to slam you. I still died like 4 times to him because I wasn't magic spamming but I got a number of really solid hits in just by rolling properly. Still died in one hit but that wasn't a problem if my dodging was up to par.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

I thought he raised him as a girl because his first son was like "NO, gently caress YOU, DAD" and didn't want a repeat of that, too.

Wait the raised as a girl bit is canon

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man is 2.6 million really low/high for NG+ or something? Because I'm barely seeing any summon tokens :(

Also loving lol @ this blue sentinel. He's invaded me probably a half dozen times in the last half hour in Heide's and I keep killing him. Sorry bro! Maybe find someone else to kill?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Basilisks are such a lame reason, really. The plague of petrification could have been made really, really interesting.

This is terrible but just off the top of my head, the Lions were infected first, judging by the amount of them that have been petrified. Rosabeth wasn't running away either, she was heading towards the shaded ruins, judging by the fact that she was clearly pulling on the lever opening the shaded ruin doors. Looking for a cure perhaps? Perhaps she heard of the large amount of fragrant branches that are in the shaded ruins. If an infection took a little while to turn you to stone, she'd have enough time. Only, she found herself petrified in the worst possible spot, sealing the shaded woods from the rest of Drangleic. Still, it had mixed blessings. It doomed those who were already infected as they could no longer access the area with the cure, Straid and the Ogre in Drangleic Castle for one. But on the other hand Rosabeth's petrification also quarantined the Shaded Woods, which meant no one else could be infected. So you still have NPCs and monsters running around, which means that the source of the plague is somewhere in the Shaded Ruins. Perhaps the Giant basilisk there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Lion Warriors leave themselves ridiculously open with their swing. Just bait it and take one or two swings depending on your weapon, roll away, repeat. Alternatively circle around behind them during their absurdly long recovery time and just backstab the fuckers. They are super chumpy enemies.

And no. No it is not.

Nearly impossible with two of them though. Jesus I burned through a LOT of human effigies there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Umberger posted:

You're still in NG and there are actually a few things you can do now that you couldn't before (merchant inventories changed, Cale will now give you his armor set, etc). To enter NG+ you have to rest at the Majula bonfire and select "being journey 2 to Drangleic" or something like that.

Why they didn't say begin journey 2 Drangleic is beyond me

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Argas posted:

Have you died to bluebros? Every death subtracts 1 sin until you're at 9, at which point you won't get invaded by them until you sin.

What? Boo. that's loving lame. Time to go a' invading then.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man I'm playing with Katanas right now and I loving loathe the moveset of the blacksteel katanas, powerstanced or no. It's just a right piece of terribleness. I do have dual darkdrifts and they are pretty good, but have no durability so I'm running a +10 darkdrift and a naked manslayer as frankly, it does better damage and has better scaling (but doesn't pierce shields).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

The Blacksteel Katana is basically this game's Iaito. I really enjoy that it has that quickdraw ability, even if it's not super useful. It's also the main reason I'm pissed off that Dex scaling got nerfed so hard. I like the Blacksteel and all, but it's a pretty lovely weapon because it relies so much on scaling. :smith:

That said, just get an Uchigatana until you can get the Chaos Blade, then go Lightning Chaos Blade with Sunlight Blade, it's pretty much the way to go with katanas. Either that or use a Washing Pole, I guess.

Gotcha.

Also seriously lol @ hacking bluecops giving me 200K souls on a death. Fine by me bro, I'm in NG+!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

okay I don't know what it was bluecops suddenly got a fuckton more competent. I went from winning 10-1 to losing 1-10 in the Copse by the lockaway bonfire. Is it because I ascetic'd it so it's at intensity three?

also not sure I like the katanas as far as dex weapons go. It's kinda 'meh' to be entirely honest, and they have piss poor durability. I don't like being forced to use the knuckle ring or use oodles of repair powder. It's expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Dex weapons are all bad, but Katanas are the least bad. There's a reason I suggested grabbing an extremely high AR weapon and infusing it.

E: Well, the Hunter's Blackbow and longbow are both pretty good. Other than that though.

Bah. I don't want to go back to maces! Maybe I'll see what the chaos blade is like.