Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kanos posted:

All the weapons are worthless garbage replaced the moment you do a single zone and almost any class's starting equipment is better than the lot of it anyway.

Preorder is worth it if only for the OST and the art.

The catalyst you get is actually decent for sorceries and Hexes, better than default one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Nope. Just one, and it sucks. If I were you, I would go into Dark Souls 2 expecting little to nothing from the script/lore. That said, there are other changes (including minor lore snips) that make NG+ something other than 'more of the same with harder hitting HP bricks'.

I disagree. There are a number of additions/corrections to Dks lore that are quite nice. Overall I prefer this game's lore.

Zaphod42 posted:

To expand on that; there are multiple types of secret doors now:

Most secret doors are now like Wolfenstein/Doom doors, they've got a tiny seam on the side that lets you notice they're a secret (normally you'll only notice because there'll be a "secret door ahead" message nearby) and if you merely press the use key, they slide up, just like in Doom.

You mean they're like King's Field doors.
:goonsay:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IMO procedural generation can totally work if it's limited to a single area, and not the entire focus of the game. There's one area in the game that I think would benefit from that. the dark chasm

For a non-spoiler example, think of the Ancient Cave from Lufia II. It's unable to have any of the puzzle solving the other areas have, but that's fine because it's a single optional area you can choose to do from time to time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah.

Well there wasn't an auto-hide option so there!

There wasn't with dsfix either.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

neetengie posted:

The closest hat to Indy's is the Hunter's Hat iirc.

Durgo's Hat is closer. Tho it's a rare drop from a non-respawning BP enemy that only appears in ng+, and at about the 1/2-way point of the game, so Hunter's Hat is still probably the best option.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

repiv posted:

Seriously Namco? £40 ($67) for a digital copy when the retail console version are £24?

Time to give a shady keysite my money :ussr:

You can get it for 20% off from GMG (greenmangaming.com)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Whips are fantastic against organic creatures, terrible on PVP and armor

Wrong, whips are really good. They have long range and the 1handed running attack has great horizontal reach. Old Whip does a ton of damage, too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

And there's a couple of ways around needing effigies if you look hard enough. Unless you're an rear end in a top hat who kills every NPC he finds, it should be nearly impossible to be stuck without being able to go human in order to summon sunbros for aid.

No block/parrying when in power-stance. Blocking in general is a bit less useful than base DS1, more along the lines of Oolacile. Especially if dual-wielding. Just treat every enemy like he's Artorias.

Not entirely true; some weapons (i.e. a couple of the rapiers) have an r2 parry so if you're power stancing with that in your right hand you can still parry.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

If I want to basically go full physical the first time around, what class starts me out with the lowest amount of stat points tied up in int/faith/attun?

Bandit. 9 points split between Fth/Int which is the lowest any class has, and the lowest Att of any class at 2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've avoided almost all information about this game so far, so I'm looking forward to jumping in blind and killing everything by swinging a zweihander at it. It was good enough for DS1, it should be good enough for DS2.

Good luck, you can only get the Zwei in two areas that are the last on their paths. As the guy above says, the Greatsword is available much earlier and it's also way better.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kanos posted:

Nope, extinction is based on how many times you kill each enemy.

Extinction is pretty much the worst mechanic. Good luck farming for that rare 1% drop weapon!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

If you are farming a Dark Souls game, you are probably playing it wrong.

Um, no? Why would wanting more weapons to use be a wrong thing?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Somfin posted:

Has an ultra-rare-drop weapon ever been worth the trouble to get it in Dark Souls? (Apart from Black Knight equipment, but the first batch of those guys only lasted for one kill anyway)

Yes, because it's a weapon you don't have. How is this hard to understand.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kild posted:

DS2 PC starts at calibration 1.05 it seems. PS360 doesn't have that update

It also appears to be patch 1.01 when the latest is 1.03.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Yeah I know that area was fixed on consoles, spoilers for the area and some other game mechanics But it was fixed on patch 1.03. The PC version is on patch 1.01. Either the PC version gets a different patch set (most likely) or it really is behind (which would suck since that means co-op won't revive you to human)

"Fixed"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Liquid Penguins posted:

I don't think your computer will sexually assault you.

He probably has a Japanese computer

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

havenwaters posted:

It increases the damage of all enemies, puts you higher up on the invasion list, and makes it so you cannot summon phantoms to help you out. Also to progress you need to get awestones that drop from invading phantoms (both npc invasions and actual human invasions). Get 50 of them and you get the best ring in the game. (covenant mechanics)

Yeah the ring is pretty great, depending on your build.

It gives your bare fists super scaling as well as letting you power stance them. With 40 str/dex they have 350 AR; compare that to the Caestus+10 with the same stats, which only has ~240.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, can you summon people whenever now or do you still have to be human? Not sure if they changed it due to the new death mechanic.

You need to be human.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crummelhorn posted:

Howwwwww do they still not have a borderless window option

I've found a lot of games don't have that (or a good one, at least).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

Oh god, at the very beginning all those monkey things killed me after I punched one. Maybe I should rethink playing the game on the hard covenant...

You have half hp and no equipment, what did you think was going to happen

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress they removed Pyromancers?????

What class am I supposed to pick now?!? :negative:

EDIT: Now I'm gonna be stuck on character creation for an hour because I have no clue what class to play.

Pick w/e class has the best stats for your build/looks coolest. Warrior is a good start because of its high str/dex.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Pyromancy is now rolled into Sorcery, so go Sorcerer (don't actually do this)

This is not true, pyromancy is entirely separate from Sorcery. It's basically the exact same as it was in dks with the addition that it now scales with the average of your Int and Fth (and even without investment it's still very strong).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HellCopter posted:

It's tru though. Well, maybe not in that way, but I kept myself to SL 150 on the PS3, but the Soul Memory system means that I'm going against people who are level 200.

Uh, you wish. sl200 barely gives an advantage, it's the people that are 300+ or close to max with so much damage reduction that you do no damage that are annoying. And they're still pretty rare.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

neetengie posted:

You can't read descriptions or something?
Yeah they changed it where burning effigies makes you seperated from multiplayer for a bit (if you're a coward for some reason) and using them restores Humanity.
EDIT: Or use White Soapstones to restore your humanity.

They didn't change anything, using an effigy always restored humanity, even in the beta.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How to fix the lightning in this game: shows off a later game area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN6GJRVghOo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I love that when you're trying to quit you have to go back to the first screen, hit start game, wait for it to connect to the online server, and then and only then can you actually quit the game. That's the most consoley thing ever.

Alt+f4

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuicideSnowman posted:

Not that I'm complaining but I feel like this game so far is a lot more cheap in the ways that it tries to kill you than DS1. Like being ambushed by enemies that suddenly materialize once you engage another.

Nothing "suddenly materializes" well not early on at least.... If you don't notice an enemy it's your fault.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

jsr v2.0 posted:

I've been trying to use Blue Eye Orbs to no avail. Immediately get "Unable to find sinners" message when I use it - it doesn't even seem to search. Also haven't been summoned in as a Protector yet. Are there just no invaders around yet? I've done a bunch of co-op sessions with no problem.

You gotta spam the blue orb. If it doesn't find someone immediately it stops there. Most of the time it'll find someone after a couple of uses. Tho you can only invade Sinners (10 or more points of sin, from killing NPCs or hosts) and there might not be many within your soul memory bracket

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There's also the Rings of (life/soul) protection which prevent lost of humanity and souls if you die. They break but you can repair them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Woooo two, good thing they arbitrarily hid one in a loving well.

Still annoying as poo poo why did they ruin a perfectly good healing system. Where can I get more shards so I can actually start enjoying this game and ignore the lovely health crystals compeltely.

They fixed a very broken healing system. Now, in the early game, you have to conserve your healing since Estus is limited and lifegems are limited for a bit. They give you enough to last until you kill the last giant, at which point you can use the souls from that to buy a bunch from Melentia.

Limiting estus is a very good thing. Only problem is the ability to chug more than once, tho that's more a PVP thing.

Only downside is the potentially infinite healing if you're willing to spend some souls, but thankfully they took the Demon's souls route of that not mattering because things kill you very quickly if yo try to tank, so having a ton of lifegems doesn't help in the midst of battle.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I beat Dark Souls on SL 1. It has nothing to do with skill, its just a lovely system and I mad because they hosed up a really good system rather than fixing the minor problems with it.

It's a good system and a great correction to how estus was broken in dks. My only complain is they let you get too many flasks; it really should be limited to 5 (and they should probably limit total # of lifegems), though it's not as big of a deal since healing mid combat is tougher.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Do the movement and camera controls feel oddly... well, I suppose 'digital' to anyone else? I feel like my character and the camera move at one of two speeds in one of eight directions no matter how I use the controller (a Logitech F310, incidentally). I don't remember it feeling this way in DS1, though perhaps it's a side effect of the framerate?

If you don't have rock solid 60 fps that might be it; I've noticed when I get drops in framerate the camera movement feels really stiff. Which is weird since I never felt that with ps3 version, despite the framerate varying fairly considerably between areas.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cat doter posted:

What the gently caress man, I get summoned by the same dude again (named Apollo) and I'm standing around waiting for whatever the gently caress he's trying to do to happen, and I start swinging at him and it's doing like 10 durability damage a hit to my sword hahaha what the gently caress.

Hackers already man, fuckin hackers.

:rolleye:

If you attack a non-hostile target it does a ton of durability damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

One note about them that isn't obvious: They respawn EVERYTHING including items on corpses (not plot items like keys and such) and, most importantly, the boss. You can get as many boss souls as you want in a single play through.

Not everything, they do not respawn iron chests.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Can someone explain the reference in the thread title?

Then explain why they went with that and not "HURRAH FOR SKELETON"

Go explore No Man's Wharf (it's past Heide's).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No one's invading because it's really hard to get a lot of cracked orbs in ng unless you edit them in (well, not hard, but very time consuming no matter how you go about it).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

VarXX posted:

Well dang. I was really pissed when I heard they were taking it out so I quit playing. It was really boring to have to run back to majula to repair the ring everytime I died. Good to know it actually works now though.

Um...then don't repair the ring and use an effigy every couple of deaths?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's really lovely that you can't buy infinite shards right off the bat. Weapons cap up to +3 which pretty much means they're only useful in starter areas, you know, the point in the game where you're experimenting with different weapon types? It's ridiculous.

That's not even remotely true. The game is balanced very similarly to demon's, which means you will be perfectly fine even with +3 weapons for everything prior to the halfway point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

All the people terrified about invaders. Go talk a few times to the guy in Majula sitting by the big statue. Join the 'Way of Blue', wear the ring and friendly phantoms will come aid you when you're invaded.

I want more people to help god dammit!

The real reason you're not getting much action is because no one is getting invaded. Because it's so time consuming to get red orbs in ng, it's very rare to be invaded by a red (I think I've been invaded by reds in ng a total of 5 times in my several hundred hours of play).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Now... I'm not saying the Smelter Demon is a poo poo boss but unavoidable damage is cheap.

It barely does any damage, just pop a lifegem.