Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you know what place this is a photo of?
Lake Sřrvágsvatn on the Faroe Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Polish posted:

I just picked this up. Should I be using a controller? I am getting by just fine with keyboard and mouse, but it seems it wants me to use a controller.
Try both and use whatever you're most comfortable with. I played all Dark Souls games with keyboard & mouse: They do require some fiddling and fixing to get it set up right, but it's perfectly playable.

Note that for some weird reason From made it so you can not just bind something to a mouse-click, but also to a double-click. So every time you click, the game waits to see if you're going for a double-click, resulting in an annoying delay.
They patched in a "Disable double clicking" option in the menu that solves this, however it's glitched and you'll need to re-enable that option every time you boot the game. I don't recall if they solved that in SotFS. Alternatively you can use a simple autohotkey script that binds the mouse buttons to the keyboard attack keys and have that script launch automatically with the game to fix it permanently.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Malsgrein posted:

Can we revive this thread to talk about how bad the Frigid Outskirts are?
All the DLCs' coop areas sucked, but Frigid Outskirts definitely was the worst.
I never understood what From was thinking there. Making an area where non-DLC owners can be summoned into and let them experience some of the DLC was a neat idea. But if my only exposure to the DLCs was attempting Jolly Cooperation in Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage & Frigid Outskirts I'm not sure I would have bought them.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

SotFS is too hard for me, and I bet I'm not the only one, but if you're confident and/or you don't mind constantly dying to bullshit, that's the way to go.
If you’re one PC, you may want to check the Vanilla Restoration Project mod over on DS2 nexus.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

goblin week posted:

You don’t actually need to kill Smelter, if you vent the giant furnace and go through it instead. You will miss out on a bonfire though.

He’s probably the toughest fucker in the base game.
So real talk for a moment: Is Smelter being the base game's toughest boss some kind of kayfabe that's going over my head?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

I mean, Smelter is one of the tougher bosses in the base game, but that doesn't mean he's hard, it just means there are a lot of stupidly easy bosses in DS2. Smelter has a few combos with slightly delayed attacks so I think that is why some people struggle with him.
I guess. The weird thing is that I honestly don't remember him having any fancy, delayed moves. I even fought him again not too long ago.
It's like how some folks were trying to convince me that the DLC's Blue Smelter has a different moveset to Vanilla Smelter. Six years later and I still don't see any difference between the two other then the colour pallette.

Djeser posted:

Any boss can be tough. I died to Prowling Magus my first time.
Sure. What makes the difficulty in these games actually work is that everything can kill you if you let it.
I mean, I've died to Dark Souls 1's Pinwheel. And in all three Souls games the enemy type that have killed me the most are your basic hollows.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 10, 2020

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I know I'm very late to the party here, but I'm finally doing a full playthrough of Scholar, instead of the old vanilla game. And I'm honestly not sure yet which version of the game I prefer. There are definitely a lot of good changes in the new enemy placement and whatnot. But that number so far is pretty equal to my tally of "this is a dumb/obnoxious change".
I mean, what did they do to the Shaded Ruins? Did people really hate those lion dudes, or something?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

heard u like girls posted:

Also, is there any benefit to lighting (all?) the sconces in Crypt and Aldia's Keep? I feel like it would be weird if they only summoned invaders, especially in Aldia's because it is so well lit already.
After lighting all 4 sconces in Aldia's Keep, go back to the entrance and look at the dragon skeleton.
The ones in the Crypt are just for atmosphere and summoning an optional hostile phantom.

heard u like girls posted:

what's the deal with the King's Symbol Door in Forest of Fallen Giants and why is there a bonfire behind it with a broken stairs to a branch and nothing else?
Am i missing something..?
You're missing one the fallen giants the forest is named after. Once you've cleared the Dragon Shrine, you'll have to go back there for ~plot~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

But on a different note, what the hell is with the file corruption, doesn't the Windows OS use a file lock to prevent that very thing?
Yes, but the game doesn't constantly have the save file "in use". Only when it's actively writing to it.