Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Auto-running and blocking are still really bad tho. The former will cause you to constantly run out of stamina, while the latter will prevent you from regaining stamina, unless you constantly toggle them at which point you might as well just use the actual buttons.

Yeah but there's moments where I'd like to be able to toggle them without holding the button down. It's not really that bad though, makes me feel like I'm a boss when I'm doin all this crazy stuff on my controller. It's not like I'd leave it on constantly, I'd turn it on in spurts, just like how I press the button in spurts.

Actually as I think about it, it might cause just as much complication as there is now.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just started the Sunken King DLC and hooooly crap this is like what I've always dreamed a DnD dungeon crawl to be like. I start tip toeing my way along the side of a pit of spikes because I think "nothing bad will happen here right, the spikes on the floor are a challenge enough" cause I'm a metagaming bastard. Then a loving ghosty motherfucker appears out of nowhere and starts chasing me down. I take a few shots with my bow and the feeling of my stomach dropping as I saw it do zippola damage was amazing. I fuckin ran my rear end out of the room fast as I could. A shade I had summoned was sort of following me but when he saw me getting chased by the ghost we both jumped down into this hole full of those equipment damaging bugs we'd avoided earlier, because holy crap that is a way better option. Then it was just total mayhem as we tried to get the hell out of there as fast as we could. Poor guy died on the way out, I didn't even see it happen, I think the ghost got him. I finally find my way out of the bug room and end up in a hall and thank god the ghost wasn't following me anymore. Then I just sit back in my chair and laugh because jesus christ that was the most fun I've had in a long time.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does anybody have any information on the big guys with the huge machetes in the lost Bastille? The only item I've ever seen related to them didn't really explain much other than they are trying to appear scary. Also I guess they have pyromancy. I sort of assume they are the hollowed prison wardens or whatever?

Also what's the deal with the shrine of Amana. It's between the castle and the undead crypt, so vendrick and his men had to go through it too to get there. One one item I found, I think it was the leggings off one of the guys with the hammers, it said something like "the archdrake sect was a powerful match for vendrick's men." Does that mean vendrick conquered the shrine of Amana? Shrine of Amana was the weirdest fuckin zone in the game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can I ever get enough poise or whatever to take hits from those turtle guys, specifically the downward slam attack? On my shield I mean.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ok I mean it makes sense for there to be attacks that are impossible to take on your shield. Does poise not influence taking hits on your shield?

Like I've got a fully upgraded pursuers great shield and I get smushed if I feel like testing it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So like I've noticed that arrows do less damage the further they fly. Is that dependent on their range stat? Or do all bows lose the same amount at the same distances. Basically I'm wondering if using the hawk ring will increase my damage done with a how at a given range compared to not using the ring.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ugh less than a month after I buy the game for me and my pal the price goes down :smith:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The drangleic set looks pretty cool I think. It makes me feel like Aragorn :hist101:

I also think the penal mask goes well with it believe it or not.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The drangleic shield looks pretty cool, and it's even got 100 physical resist.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

How much online presence is there at this point? I am assuming DS1 is pretty dead online so I haven't picked it up. I'm waiting for a sale on this one and I hope by the time I pick it up there will still be people to pvp.

For ds2? Plenty! I mean it's not like you can get a co-op at any given boss whenever you want, but there's always oodles of red and dragon summon signs on the iron keep bridge, and jeez the other night I got invaded four times in a row by Karen when I was just trying to forge my way past all the ogres in Aldias keep :[

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's tied to your FPS. The PC version is locked to 60, console is at 30.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but can't the framerate be unlocked?

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't stop attacking on the final blow all the time, I'm often fighting 2+ enemies so combat isn't always orderly and neat. Why does hitting a corpse tank my weapon durability? This sounds like some buggy poo poo. Is there seriously no fix?

I do not remember this happening on the console version at all.

What I found is that mashing the attack button is almost always going to result in an extra swing through a falling enemy. Try and get a feel for the timing of swings and be patient and orderly with when you hit the attack button. It's definitely hard to do when you're in a tense situation and are just swinging like crazy cause holy poo poo I'm gonna die, but it's somewhat easier to do once you get the hang of an enemy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's not true I have a caster dude who has an enchanted longsword for when I don't want to waste spell uses, it works pretty well with that other magic weapon buff spell.

(Enchanted means it scales with int, right?)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a set of armor that looks sort of like the Alonne knight armor from the Iron Keep? I really like how plain and unadorned it is, but every time I notice those weird little things that stick off my thighs it makes me go ughhhhh.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
How specific does the game get with weapon hitboxes? Or is there really just a couple parameters to it. Length, width, simple stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

It's better. More damage, lower stat requirements, and you can buff it.

You can't upgrade the morningstar? What do you mean by "and you can buff it".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh ok, not up w/the lingo. That kind of sucks. I've noticed the same thing with the heide spear, is it because they both already have auxiliary effects?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy crap the fight with sinh was intense!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

one of these days I am gonna kill this jerk, he just makes me want to punch him I don't even know why

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the way they pulled it off is pretty chill. In the gutter it's ok to be constantly holding a torch because the enemies are 90% zombie hollows. When you light up the hallway in Aldia's keep holy crap that was a big reveal and I practically pooped my pants when I saw that ogre just chillin'.

also did you know you can light up the lost sinner's arena :O

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I farmed up the ruin sentinel set and I want to find a hammer halberd thing and shield that matches it. The mirrah shield looks ok but the only halberd that seems to have a hammer is the lucerne.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

That looks pretty good. So like if my character has super high int and low str/dex then I should probably infuse it with magic right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
edit: whoops wrong thread

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
On my first play through I had essentially no idea what I was doing and was playing mostly behind a shield with a mace. I put most of my points into strength, and then spread them out every once in a while into endurance and vigor, and vitality if I found my encumbrance was over 100% (though really under 70% is where youw ant to be to avoid the fat roll). Once I discovered that adaptability increased poise I dumped a lot of points in there and I felt like my game improved a lot. For a melee strength build character I think the important stats are all those: vigor, endurance, vitality, strength and adaptability.

Putting points into faith and int will increase your fire, magic, lightning and dark resistance but I don't think it's really necessary unless you feel more comfortable with higher numbers in those sections. I still have 5 int and 5 faith on my 180 something SL NG+ guy right now. Just dodge the elemental based attacks (dodge everything I mean).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hahaha dang so I just got the poo poo whooped out of me. Some guy summons me in Drangleic 1st bonfire, cause I like to get souls by helping people kill the bosses at the throne of want. The guy runs back towards the entrance of the castle and I follow him, thinking like, hmm, what's hard back here? I wonder what he needs help with.

Then we get to that hallway behind the stairs that wellager is standing on, the one with the two big useless green doors and the one at other end that leads into a small empty room. So the guy points down the hallway at the door, and I think "hmm, maybe he wants me to help him with a glitch or something?" I don't know, I'm naive. So I run down to the door, he points at it again, and I say ok I'll go in there. Nothing in there.

Oh, a box? I don't remember there being a box in here- host closes the door behind me and a red phantom poofs into existence and murders the poo poo out of me.

Laughed my rear end off, it was brilliant.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

woooo look I'm a ruin sentinel

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow dang this archdrake mace thingy has a nice move set. If you jump backwards and do a light attack it does a crazy spinny thing that will whack the enemy maybe two times in a row unless they roll in time.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So the thing that confuses me about the Iron Keep zone is that it comes after the Earthen Peak thing... after an elevator. And then the giant tower that is Earthen Peak is no where to be seen. Did I totally miss the fact that there was a big cliff wall behind the Earthen Peak? Or does this game just not give a poo poo about things like that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's somewhat disappointing, because what I really loved the most about Dark Souls 1 was how everything was so interconnected; the whole world was all one big thing (barring a couple places like the abyss and painted world).

It's still cool though, everything is still tied together nicely.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

It's a deliberate stylistic choice, a sort of hybrid between the archstones of Demon's Souls and the interconnectivity of Dark Souls. The issue in the first game (besides the fact that it actually does cheat in places, such as the impossible skybox of Ash Lake) is that it makes the world feel weirdly small, with the source of all demons only a hair below some ancient flooded city which is itself right below another city which is below the very dwelling of the gods themselves.

It may all fit together, but it doesn't make very much sense. The interconnectivity of individual areas in Demon's Souls made a great deal more sense, but they didn't have to necessarily fit all the areas directly together (otherwise they never could've gotten away with the Tower of Latria).

No. You explore the DLC in the present, there is no time travel (except the memory where you fight Sir Alonne). Shulva is a long-forgotten city visited in the present well after it fell, and Brume Tower is part of the Old Iron King's domain that lies on rock overlooking the destroyed lands of his former kingdom (and is the foundry where he made his invincible armies).

Not only aren't Ironclads human, I think Alonne Knights aren't either, nor are Ruin Sentinels and the Pursuer(s) or Syan/Llewelyn Knights. They're not humans or hollows because those enemies make distinctive sounds (compare Royal Soldiers in FoFG and the past versions in the giant memories; the memory ones are living humans), and because you can find those enemies in Drangleic Castle including inanimate statue versions, suggesting Vendrick could animate them with whatever power he had. The Looking Glass Knight is probably a golem as well based on the item descriptions, but from their souls it's pretty clear Velstadt and the Throne Watcher/Defender are human.

I do really like the way they've done it, I think it's a good improvement of both ideas. Each individual zone is very well crafted and you can get some cool views. Like from magerolds place you can see where you right the old iron king and from that spot with the boulder traps in tselsora you can see straight down to the entrance to the boss lair.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
No your soul memory is what affects summons and poo poo. It's the big number in the top right of your screen that shows you all your stats.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Seriously. I mean, I wonder if any of those people that complain are annoyed because literature never goes into every single detail whenever the plot goes into one setting from another. Or when the next book starts somewhere else entirely.

Or maybe they just like Tolkien.

whoah im not complaining, i just remember one of the things that really drew me to Dark Souls was that holy cow everything literally fits together

so basically what im saying is stuff it up your rear end because the game is good and THAT is all that matters

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hate everything

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I did the lost Bastille and the lost sinner before I ever even knew it was possible to get to heide's tower of flame. The game is certainly not linear. If you have enough hp and maybe the cat ring (or the jester pants?) then you can get down into the gutter pretty early. That's what I did. I was totally NOT expecting an entire wing of the game to be down there lmao.

Also funny story I killed the flexible sentry as a mini boss in the woods before I killed him as a boss.

The world is honestly just as coherent feeling as dark souls. You ca see the fort in FOFG, heide's poo poo nd of course the castle all from Majula. I just wish you could see more of that sort of thing in other parts of the game.

Also why do they call bright stone cove tselsdora a cove. I have never seen any water around it. But I think on the map it's on like the northern edge of drangleic near the coast?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

If you need to talk to any of the blacksmiths or the firekeepers for any reason, you do need to run back to the hub. If you want to run to the catacombs from pretty much any other part of the world, you have to run back to the hub. Removing the ability to warp is a regression, full stop.

Running around is only bad if it's boring and unfun. I believe it is possible for traveling distances in a video game to be interesting. You can do this with stellar views or whatever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

This argument is way worse than all the other dark souls thread arguments just fyi

You're gay?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

So how does the Undead Curse spread? It's implied in the Crown DLCs (and the opening cinematic for Dark Souls 1) that it's just humanity's natural state, but you can also be Cursed by people who wield or are made of the Dark. Do you just wake up one day and find you've got a nasty mark on your shoulder and a craving for souls?

Everyone and everything has a desire for souls cause they're the source of all life. Right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The idea is that people are addicted to video games and every time you get a new one the cycle starts anew: go through the game and beat it.

The Emerald Herald is your mom: please break this cycle and free yourself, and me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's why it's DARK souls and not HAPPY souls.

edit: also whoah dang Yorgh's spear is really strong fully upgraded.

Also I have a question about infusion: on a wiki I read somewhere that the difference between S and A stat bonus is not that big of a deal, and so that items with S stat bonus, like the Hunter's Blackbow for example, are a good weapon to infuse because it won't hurt it that much. Is this true?

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 5, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So I infused the Black Scorpion Stinger with Raw because it had pretty high base damage and also zero stat scaling bonuses. Good plan?

also Sinh's music is pretty fuckin great too

also does poison resist work against toxic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well I mean like doesn't the player do everything just because in the first place?

I mean in ds1 at least he's got like a legend that he hears? But in this one he does everything cause emerald chick tells him too.