Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Kanos posted:

Steam name would be vastly superior because if you wanted to RP you could just change it to your character name and/or whoever you're cosplaying as at will.

Nice, I can roleplay as Navlaan perfectly now! I just need to know his name as an invading spirit, and where I should put my white summon sign...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mimetic posted:

I'm already thinking of an Indiana Jones build for a second playthrough. The whip is obvious, but I'm thinking pyromancy as a "gun" so I can reenact this scene.

edit: it's going to mostly hinge on whether I can find a hat. I think most of my first playthrough is going to be planning my outfit

The closest hat to Indy's is the Hunter's Hat iirc.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mazed posted:

It's Royal Sorcerer Navlaan.

In fact, everyone who plans on PvPing extensively just change your Steam name to what's in the spoilered text.

It will be sublime.

I never got invaded by him. What hexes does he use? Chime/Staff? Shield or no?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Whips are fantastic against organic creatures, terrible on PVP and armor

To add onto this the best Indy one (the Old Whip) has really bad durability but amazing damage. You should probably wear a ring to help with the degradation.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sober posted:

So basically the starting classes matter for longer this time around? It seemed like in DS1 you just picked whatever you wanted for starting gear (generally pyro since he starts level 1 and the glove is the last thing you get gear-wise) whereas looking at the classes starting stats vs. DS1's classes, it seems like the gaps are wide enough that if you wanted to say, make a bandit or something into a caster, it'd be more work than just rolling a caster. Or caster trying to go melee, etc.

I'm not sure what to do. I might just do a knight or whatever. Had plenty of fun with a vanilla-as-gently caress longsword in DS1, maybe I'll just on something reliable to carry me through DS2 again.

Just play as a Deprived and choose what kind of fighting style to play as after that.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Somfin posted:

Has an ultra-rare-drop weapon ever been worth the trouble to get it in Dark Souls? (Apart from Black Knight equipment, but the first batch of those guys only lasted for one kill anyway)

Yes because I want certain armor types and weapon types for my character build, especially if I'm cosplaying as a character from another media outlet.
Also gently caress From for only limiting the Shadow Set to the dudes in the Wharf boss fight NG+ onwards

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

motherbox posted:

Question on respeccing/starting stats:

If you start as something other than a Deprived and you reset, does it bring you to your starting soul level or SL1? I get a bit obsesed with min-maxing and I'm trying to figure out which would be more advantageous long-term.

It has a screen that shows your stats at the base level (all 6) and you just reallocate the souls in that screen.
EDIT: I misread that as starting as a Deprived, so yeah all your stats on that screen will be your base stats.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 24, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

EightBit posted:

So, if I want to stream a blind playthrough, what's the best service to use? I have things set up to stream through Twitch already, but some people don't like that site for lag/quality reasons. Should I just record chunks and upload to YouTube like KayPlays did with Dark Souls?

Use OBS and stream with Hitbox.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BlueDestiny posted:

Thanks, I sent you a friend request. I tend to have trouble with MAH BUILD :byodude: so I'll probably ask you about stats at some point.

Get agility to 100 at least, and everything should be fine after that. Dex scaling a poo poo this time around.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Where can it be found, by the way?

There's at least 7 of them I think. They can be found in multiple places but some are hidden away that can only be opened by certain items.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sober posted:

I'll play it tonight, maybe mostly blind, which is what I didn't do with DS1.

Seems to be a lot of butthurt from some people about how this is the B-team doing the game (as opposed to the DeS/DkS1 team) and all the hubbub about tons of stuff that got changed that seem to number in the hundreds as "issues" that make DS2 inferior.

I dunno, maybe after a playthrough or two I'll make up my mind. Either way I'm still excited so unless the game physically comes out of my PC and rapes me then takes a dump on my chest I doubt Dark Souls 2 is really an inferior product from Dark Souls 1 or something.

Just play for a while and issue your final thoughts two weeks after release, since you'll probably 100%ed the game in that time and tried out different playstyles and builds over time.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Appoda posted:

I heard that if you kill the boss/whatever as a white phantom, you return to your world with your humanity restored. Is that a glitch or a deliberate mechanic? Should I be throwing down white signs if I'm in need of restoring humanity without effigies?

It's deliberate, it always has been, it was glitching out during release but it's stable now. Yes.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Innerguard posted:

I didnt play DS1 much but I am preloading this now. Can I summon more than one friend for jolly coop or is it just me plus one?

2 people max.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Appoda posted:

Thanks!

It's a shame that you can't join that Champions covenant and still summon white phantoms. A criticism my co-op buddies had was that co-op made enemies and bosses too easy -- we weren't jolly co-oping because we were having trouble with an area, but because we just wanted to stomp over Lordran while cracking dumb jokes on skype. I can see why it's in place, but it'd have been fun to have that increased difficulty to offset three dudes whacking monsters with ascended pyromancy, crystal/dark magic, and zweihanders.

Oh well, I guess a good way to circumvent this would be to just level up every area with a bonfire ascetic. Would that make bosses last long enough to be a challenge, or do multiple players break boss AI in such a way that the extra health and damage won't help enough?

An ascetic would help if you want higher difficulty, but I think that some stuff that's normally NG+ won't occur on an Ascetic I think Last Sinner's lil helpers don't spawn on an Ascetic bonfire, could be wrong though
Honestly I would prefer World Tendency to come back instead of bonfire ascetics coming in, but maybe it'll just make the game a bit worse.

And for multiple players, I think they're easier to solo since you can follow their patterns in a better manner, while multiple people can make them a bit more unpredictable.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

This game is loving hard. I'm at 50% hp, have no health items, die pretty often at that drat forest with 3 enemies and ugh. Lost thousands of souls and haven't even unlocked leveling yet.

Have you talked to people at Majula?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Had to circle around the whole thing 2 times before I noticed it, goddamnit, you even get the flask.

Explore the poo poo out of every place, you'll find a lot of neat goodies.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Where it says to get the ring from the tower where the hell is it? I've gone up to the boss on one path and the drawbridge on the other and haven't seen it.

The ring is in the drawbridge area, you probably already got it.
Ring of Binding

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Is anyone else using a DS4 controller and not having it work? I have the Xinput files set up and everything.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

So I'm playing the game and my shield is permanently up. There's some kind of shield icon under my health/stam bar, no idea what it is. How do I get rid of this?

Check your keybindings.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

Dark Souls 2 has achievements.

This is funny to me, for some reason.

They've always had them though?

oh gently caress i wanna stream this poo poo so bad but can't talk well into a mic but unf THESE FRAMES

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

How the gently caress can I stop my character holding up my shield with my controller? Or am I boned?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress they removed Pyromancers?????

What class am I supposed to pick now?!? :negative:

EDIT: Now I'm gonna be stuck on character creation for an hour because I have no clue what class to play.

Pick Deprived.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

White Phosphorus posted:

Does the game still decrease strength requirement for weapons if you two hand them like DS1 did?

Yes, but it's different IIRC if you have 11 STR and 2hand something your STR doubles, it's not a percentage increase.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I have accidentally fallen to my death so many times already. I loving hate Dark Souls.

git gud scrub :^)

Lemonpieman posted:

So, can somebody tell me why there needs to be a PC exclusive thread at all? All it really seems to do is split up discussion for the same game between two different threads. It just seems weird and unnecessary.
gently caress if I know maybe because the previous title had a PC exclusive thread they thought it'd be a good idea for a PC exclusive one as well

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

StarkWhite posted:

Also, hillarious OP. "WATCH OUT, AT SL150 REDDITORS WILL KILL YOU WITH SPELLS AND/OR WEAPONS"

No he means that SL doesn't mean poo poo because Soul Memory is a loving retarded mechanic when executed and SL doesn't mean anything anymore, you're better off to just keep leveling up

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Moog posted:

And now, even after talking to the Emerald Whoever, I can't level up at bonfires. I think the game hates me.

Try talking to her again.
Have you ever played Demon's Souls?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Beat the first boss, got the stamina and hp regen rings, everything's coming up milhouse. :unsmith:

Except i'm still at 50% hp, thought burning effigy would fix it but it didn't and I looked at my face, I'm still a zombie !!

You can't read descriptions or something?
Yeah they changed it where burning effigies makes you seperated from multiplayer for a bit (if you're a coward for some reason) and using them restores Humanity.
EDIT: Or use White Soapstones to restore your humanity.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Genocyber posted:

They didn't change anything, using an effigy always restored humanity, even in the beta.

I meant from Dark Souls 1, although it's my fault I didn't elaborate on that.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Stay classy internet.

I loving hope that's my message - in that exact place too. Hah of course it isn't - appropriate since there were people earlier using VPNs.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

If I killed him does that mean I won't be seeing any more later on or is there going to be a second?

You can encounter him 3 times IIRC, but if you kill him in the optional arena, the boss fog wall in the Forest won't be there.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Stringbean posted:

Whats up with these tiny rear end summon signs I'm seeing :|

That's from the Small White Soapstones, you summon Shades instead of Phantoms, since they have a shorter time limit, and it's either the more kills made or souls gathered (I don't know specifics) that their duty is fulfilled once that counter is fulfilled. They get Smooth and SIlky Stones for their reward. It's good for those who just want a nice random reward, souls and getting some humanity back once done instead of doing the whole level. Estus, Magic charges and durability refills too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but my new PC copy is not responding to gamepads. I've tried both my DS4 with DS4Tool, and then my official 360 Controller for Windows - the only think that worked was the DS4's touchpad mouse function. Besides that, nothing. Is this a known issue with a fix?

Have you checked the Hide Controller option for the DS4? Someone else brought it up and it worked for me, but had to restart the game for it to work.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Anyways, does attacking chests and destroying them turn anything inside into rubbish? I did this to two chests out of curiosity and I'm hoping I didn't screw myself out of some good poo poo.

Yes, they do. Only hit a chest once, that's enough. Unless it's a mimic. Then you run out of it's range and then come back to hit it in the dick multiple times.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Guest posted:

Well I picked a Cleric because that's what I'd played in Demon's and Dark Souls. Turns out you don't start with enough stats to use your starting weapon :thumbsup:. I finally get the point of strength I needed to use the only effective weapon I have and the fucker breaks before I have time to read the message telling me my weapon is about to break. So at this point do I have any options beyond restarting and picking a class that isn't gimped, or fighting my way through the forest with a broken thief's sword/my fists?

You should, just two hand it. Cleric isn't gimped at all.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Guest posted:

Nah, even two-handed the broken mace is hitting for about 20 damage on hollows. The one-handed broken thief sword is hitting for about 40.

Get a spare Morning Star from Majula.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

You need a key from the merchant Melentia in the Forest, but first go and get the Morning Star in Majula, it's on a cliff face.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I got bored of nobody invading me so I decided to use that cracked eye orb I looted off a pig rat...thing.

Any of you happen to be Doran? :v:

Invaded the guy, spent 5 minutes working my way to the bonfire where he's hiding. He refuses to come out so I just run up and murder him. Its just like Dark Souls :allears:

What does this spite token do?

It's for dueling other Black Phantoms - you'll find the covenant later in the game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

slev posted:

Is there any point to the small white soapstone once I have the regular one?

Yes, it's a quicker way to get humanity back, estus/magic charges refilled, and durability refilled. Also gives you a lotto token.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Brackhar posted:

So, given that I played through the first time on PS3 as a beefy greatsword wielding hulk of a man, any thoughts from you guys as to what build I should do next?

Someone who adores Hanzo Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Spudd posted:

I like shields is Strength the way to go or do I still need some Dex for later on?

Dex scaling is bad, but it's required for some heavier weapons - sprinkle some on, have maybe 20 depending on the weapons you want.

Is the Morning Star normally unable to be enchanted? I can't put Aromatic Ooze on it.