Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started a powerstance build yesterday, not far yet. Will continue after work tonight.

What are cool weapons to powerstance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My first playthrough I powerstanced Warped Sword (L) + Washing Pole (R). It loving ruled, good damage + good reach + awesome and versatile moveset

Sounds dope.

I'm putting every point so far into Str or Dex to play around with weapon combos. That does mean I have no stam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I defeated the Flexile Sentry so I'm almost at Straid for boss weapons.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Why won't my new controller arrive, I'm sure it's my controller's fault I suck now and not me forgetting how to play.

Surely.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still in Lost Bastille, got distracted a few days and am waiting for my new ps4 controller anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Any tips on how to defeat the Squallid Queen? Doing pretty good with a Magic Ice Rapier when I don't die to stupid things.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I keep switching my build/area I'm trying to defeat. Since it's been so long since I played I don't have a set build, and can use soul vessels anyway. Got a staggering amount of spells and weapons (trying for that platinum playthrough).

I defeated Nashandra, but didn't get to fight Aldia since I hadn't defeated Vendrick. Stuck at Squallid Queen, Fume Knight and the first bonfire of Eleum Loyce.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finally reached the second Frozen Eleum Loyce bonfire! :toot:

I'm back to using the Black Knight Great Sword like in DS1, with shield/spells/hexes in the other hand.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, gimme you most fun weapons to try. I'm finding the Black Knight Greatsword a bit frustrating to aim.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Santier's Spear.

How do I break it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Dark Roaring Halberd is insanely strong it rips pvp phantoms apart.

The good thing about 30/30 Dark builds is that you're no slouch with fire and lightning infusions either. I just one-shot Darklurker with a lightning thorned greatsword. No deaths against him, he wasn't that bad. Meanwhile I died like 5 times from pits in the 3rd dark chasm.

Nice, I do have a 30/30 hex build…

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Invaders are red,
Sentinels are blue.
Nashandra is dead,
But she's still my waifu.

She might be a creature born of the Dark, but Vendrick loved her anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

People overstate ADP. It's perfectly playeable without raising ADP, you just gotta get used to not having as good a dodge roll as in DS1.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I named a character PEW PEW PEW and cheated myself 2 Avelyns and a bunch of souls to try powerstancing them at +10. Verdict: Pretty fun, very easy to take down enemies as long as you can remain at range AND on target, but the reloading and recovery is so slow that it doesn't make the game too easy, just relatively easy. I was slightly hoping for something silly and OP that would let me play it like a 3rd person shooter but mainly it just kinda changes the rhythm and style of combat: make distance, then attack, then by the time you recover the enemy/ies have caught up to you so you have to run and make distance to attack again, wash rinse repeat.

Still fun though!

oh yeah it ultra sucks in PVP

Try this mod for DS1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBTMhG2_00

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Glimpse posted:

If I didn't know going in that I could increase my chug rate I would have thrown my disc in the trash day one. Coming in straight off of DS1 remastered, it's intolerable.

You're weird.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, I wish I could play with the original enemy placement instead of the SotFS one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hexes are the OP spells in DS2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I liked the invisible forest, very spoopy and atmospheric.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Pre-scholar, the keys just appeared in inventory, so Scholar introduced lore-fitting but unfortunate constraints as to when you can head into the DLCs. I wonder at how low a level one could theoretically beeline Sir Weeabo to do the rest of the game with his magnificent sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkzALNaBK-4

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I bought DS2 again lol. I didn't have the original on pc! It has different enemy layouts!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

I would miss Aldia's monologues.

You get Aldia and the DLC in the original too. In fact Aldia showed up without warning when the first dlc was launched, even if you didn't have the dlc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Found a video of someone speculating about Aldia before he was added to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VdKpbOHQ3M

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Flytrap posted:

He's also the one that convinced Oolacile to dig up and exploit the body of Manus.

And New Londo had to be flooded because Dark Wraiths are immortal monsters that just kill and eat infinitely. Kaathe himself even blames them when he gives you his sales pitch. Says that they were all a bunch of weak minded fools but you? Oh, you're *special* Player Character, you've got that something something that's gonna make it DIFFERENT this time. Got real cultist/army recruiter vibes to it.

I feel like that's part of the theme of Dark Souls: humanity unrestrained really just wants to consume and make everything part of itself. Manus goes wild and tries to return everything to monkey--literally, he's a giant ape--, each of Manus's daughters tries to corrupt and consume their respective kingdoms. Well, 2 do, one just wanted to hide away but she still managed to taint the land by existing. And in the third ending of DS3, it's framed in the same way as the Kill The Candlemaiden ending of DeS. It's cruel, selfish, and the way the sky looks afterwards gives the impression that it hasn't actually changed anything. Everything is still hosed but now at least this small elite group is in charge of the dying embers.

Aldia Was Right (tm).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Really not sure what build to go for this time around.

Also not sure if I should play on PC or PS4.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You guys playing Return to Drangleic on PS4 or PC?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why are you so hurtful and non-inclusive.

Well I could also play on ps3 if you want.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I defeated the Lost Sinner. I've been using the Pursuer Greatsword. I wish we could do the grab attack with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

No matter how sweet, a lie will forever remain a lie!

:smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bonfire Ascetics rule.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Return to Drangleic tomorrow! Except I already started a dude today, named him Hamsteak cause I had no cool name ideas.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I joined the Blue Sentinels but have yet to be summoned once to help. :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think vanilla is better than SotFS.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fuligin posted:

i see this opinion fairly frequent and i just plain dont ken' it

sotfs leans heavily into everything that makes vanilla great, and then some! i know some folk dislike the changed up spawns but they aren't really any more obnoxious than vanilla's imo

The change to Heide Knights is terrible, for starter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh yeah I got distracted halfway through and didn't finish Return to Drangleic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Lucatiel and her story are my favourite NPC moments of any of the souls trilogy.
That whole tale is one of the core reason why this is my favourite Dark Souls. The way it fits thematically into the whole game and the voice acting. Just terrific stuff.

Her armor set is in DS3. We did remember her name.

:unsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

"How much can one mask cost, Michael? 10 souls?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Will always love this old Lore video from before the dlc dropped just going WHO IS ALDIA!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VdKpbOHQ3M

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I love Stormveil because it's Boletaria again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You can respec with an item called a Soul Vessel so don't be afraid to try stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

“You” went to Drangleic cause there’s a rumor a cure for hollowfication is there.