Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Fifteen of Many posted:

Well I finished Darklurker today which officially brings my first NG run to a close. I really enjoyed this game and am looking forward to NG+/another character/bloodborne!

The biggest reward for finishing off all bosses is the opportunity to go through NG+ powerstancing with a Loyce Greatsword in the right hand and a Majestic Greatsword in the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

OzFactor posted:

Thanks friends. I’m not sure what it is, exactly, but I feel like my problem isn’t with the distance of my rolls but the fact that I’m not rolling when I feel like I should be, like there’s a little delay that I’m not used to between the button press and the roll. And it’s not just rolls, it’s attacks too, and definitely raising my shield. Is raising Adaptability really only going to make the shield raising faster?

I’m also used to the way you could sort of queue up actions in DS1, like you could push attack toward the end of a roll and you’d get up attacking. I’m guessing that’s just something I’ll have to get used to.

Okay one more: the backstab window is, like, tiny compared to DS1, right? I am really wailing on dudes’ backs in this game without going into a real backstab more than three or four times so far.

Are you playing on a new console? If so, is your TV/Monitor properly set up with a video game mode and settings like frame smoothing/natural motion off? When I got a PS4 and started in on DS3, I was getting my rear end absolutely handed to me until I realized the default settings for the HDMI port I connected the system to was giving me about a third of a second of input lag because it wasn't configured for games.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

IIRC, it's no more damage on a per-hit basis, but some weapons enable combos that give double hits to the weapons they're paired with, like Majestic GS, Curved Nil GS, and Warped Sword.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

In phase 2, my first advice is keep him towards the center of the room so you always have space behind you to back up when he does his fireball circle.

I always emphasized fast rolling without a shield in phase 2, I imagine a Gyrm greatshield would be your best bet if you're using a shield. What gets people the most about Fume knight is that he can appear to be done with a swing combo and then follow it up with an ultra-delayed greatsword swing just when people think it's safe to attack or heal, so be vigilant for his fakeouts is key. You can always roll forward and left to both dodge through his flame sword sweep attack and his sword stab attack, both leave him open for hits even with a slow weapon. Slow/fast weapons don't really matter, there's just fewer chances to hit with a slow weapon.

You can also keep him from going into phase 2 period. When you chug estus at close range, his phase 1 AI will follow up with an overhead slam of his greatsword that leaves the sword cracked and red for the next 20 seconds. If you keep chugging every 20 seconds once he's under the threshold to transform, you can keep his sword cracked permanently, and he cannot go into phase 2 while his sword is cracked. Chugging at further range will trigger a stab with his short sword that won't affect his transformation.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

One niche use for Raw I've found is the broadsword; a raw +6 broadsword takes no rare upgrade materials to craft, can be two handed with only 8 strength, and has the damage and a nice sweeping arc that allows you to catch and wipe out all of toxic rats at the start of the Rat Authority fight with under a stamina bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

hmm yes posted:

Thinking about a hexer run but I haven’t played ds2 in a few years. Any advice on getting off the ground?

You can get the Sunset staff and Dark Orb in about 15 minutes of gameplay:
Start cleric with ascetic.
Kill Maughlin for his armor.
Get Dragonrider to fall off his arena then ascetic and do it again.
Punch Licia of Lindelt until she lands in the ocean (she's got no poise at Heide's) then reload the zone to pick up her lockstone.
Consume dragonrider soul, level int to 21 and faith to 20.
Felkin will give you the sunset staff and hexer's set (+1 int on the hood gets you to 22 for equipping the staff) and then you can buy Dark Orb from him.