Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So I finally started this game, way too late. I'm at the part where you get a certain item that lets you unlock three doors. But I'm not concerned about PvE. It's PvP. I have won one invasion out of a lot, and it was because it was in the Shrine of Amana, and I Zweihander'd him off the edge, into the drink. It was funny.

What's a good way to get started with pvp? So my success rate is at least 20% or something. I'm a strength melee build that has a +10 Heide Knight Sword and a +10 Red Iron Twinblade, which I've heard is pretty good. I don't want to be a super minmaxer here, I just want to have a shot. What rings should I be wearing, what weapon should I change to (unless the RITB would work), and how should I go about it? What goals should I shoot for? I wouldn't mind changing weapons, although I do like straight swords and heavier weapons just because they're my style.

I don't need any incredibly special in depth guide here, just something to get on my feet and get started so maybe I can actually kill the occasional invader. Right now its just me rolling, landing maybe a hit, then taking 1500 damage from some weapon I don't recognize and getting mad.

Thanks!

e: I should probably explain what I'm doing now whenever I get invaded. I double grip my RITB, put on a Third Dragon Ring (a phantom gave it to me, which was cute,) a stone ring, and a ring of blades +1. Since the weapon has such nice poise damage and hits frequently, I figure with the stone ring that would just stun lock the gently caress out of all the near naked people and render them helpless. This doesn't work, and I end up dying.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

I wouldn't recommend using the Red Iron Twinblade when you're just starting out. It hits like a truck but all its moves are slow enough that they're very easy to dodge through, especially if you're not good at using it. Something quick (like your Heide Knight Sword) will serve you a fare bit better.

If you want to get started with PVP I'd suggest leaving your red/dragon sign or invading on the bridge at the start of the Iron Keep. It's a popular dueling spot and unlike the Brotherhood of Blood arena it is not tryhard build city.

As far as gear goes Third Dragon Ring and Ring of Blades should always be equipped. Preferably the RoB+2, which you can get from using a bonfire ascetic at the King's Gate bonfire in Drangleic Castle, then going into the throne room behind Chancellor Wellager (the ghost guy at the start of the castle). Stone Ring isn't terribly helpful for the Winblade since it already has pretty high poise damage. If your maximum equip load is 60.0 or less, Flynn's Ring from Shulva is a good choice (at 60 or less max equip load it gives an extra 50 AR). Otherwise I'd go with the strongest Life Ring you have, best Chloranthy Ring, or best Royal Soldier's Ring (higher equip load=lower % of max equip load used=faster stamina regen).

Okay, thank you. Could I get a couple alternatives to the Heide Knight Sword? The vertical R1 attacks are good for pve but it seems like horizontal swipes are better. Two swords I've heard are the Fume Sword and the standard Longsword. Maybe the Sun Sword, but I have zero medals and I've been soul farming and I'm not sure if people would be in my soul memory bracket (something I don't really get yet) so I'm higher level than 150, which seems to be the standard pvp level. What do you think? Right now, my HKS hits around 250 a swing. When I'm getting hit for 900 damage in pvp, it just seems lacking.

And if I do want to use a heavier weapon, what do you think is newbie friendly? I've heard the standard Greatsword is pretty good, or maybe Santier's Spear, or the Grand Lance?

Thanks again.

e: oh yeah, as for the stone ring, is that only for if you're using low poise damage weapons? Like it was said earlier, it isn't going to help heavy weapons since they have enough already.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Ugh. Pvp is still going terribly. Losing 100% of the time with a heide knight sword and red iron twinblade. I'm terrible.

In the meantime I'm trying to farm sun medals. I overleveled myself, because I don't really like sticking to specific builds and staying at a certain level. I have a soul memory of 3.1 million. Where is a good place to place my sunbro sign? I've tried the smelter demon right at the first bonfire, and gotten only a couple actual games going, the rest are what appears to be hackers summoning me. They move across the bridge at lightning speed and summon 4 other humans just to dick around.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Smol posted:

The King's Gate bonfire at Drangleic Castle is probably your best bet. It's the nearest bonfire for a few bosses, so there's a decent amount of Coop going on at a wide soul memory range.

Dumb question, but do I need to have beat the bosses myself? I've just fought the twins. I think there are two more past the king's gate, but my memory could be failing me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Yep, just found that out. Fought Aldia, and that fireball killed me in one hit. Oops.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How much poise should I be aiming for? I wear a full set of Heide, but I'm getting stunlocked even against players that have stupid little knives. I thought that armor would be heavy enough, but I guess not.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

You need a lot of poise to tank through even a small hit. In general, it's not worth trying to poisetank through something unless you're using an ultra greatsword/greataxe/great club; those weapons give you hyper poise during most of the attack animations, wherein you only take half the poise damage you normally would.

Well I could be hit at least five times with this dagger before I could roll. It seemed silly. I expect to be stunned by something medium or large when wearing Heide gear, but I guess that is wrong? How much poise would I need to be able to tank through one swing of a longsword?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Zweihanders are actual weapons and are very long in reality

I really want to see this used in a battle. That thing is enormous.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've been working on getting 30 medals to max out my Sunbro covenant and just ran into a problem. I'm sure it's been discussed and whined about for over a year now but I loving hate soul memory. I didn't realize it went up simply when you gained souls, I thought it was when you spent them. Since I've defeated 15 bosses, and not spent any of those souls, I've gone up a soul bracket/tier, and now I'm never getting summoned in Drangleic Castle King's Gate. I don't know if I can ever get those remaining 15 medals.

I'm sure this argument has been done to death, but this is really goddamn stupid.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I feel like you could kill Vendrick without a Giant's Soul as long as you had enough repair powder, patience, and the desire not to want to commit suicide. There's probably a youtube of someone doing it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Honestly, the hardest thing I've found in this game are NPC 'players' like phantoms. They roll, guard break, do way too much damage. The only times I've had more difficulty are Fume Knight (I collapsed in a fit of laughter when beating him after I don't know how many times) and Sir Foreverallone. The Ancient Dragon seems impossible until you figure out 1) run away when you see him prepare to jump and 2) switch legs when he's about to flatten you.

I have yet to get into the other two DLCs though.

I don't know why I laughed for five minutes straight after killing Raime. I think I was driven to madness. It is by far more difficult than anything from DkS1. Way more than Kalameet, Manus, or Gwyn. I think I was driven to madness.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

poptart_fairy posted:

FROM's always been weird about NPC enemies. In Bloodborne they've just been given maxed out stats, infinite stamina, infinite ammo and left at that.

Thanks for reminding me that I am mad that Bloodborne isn't on the PC.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I wore Velstalt's helm, a weapon, and no armor against the Fume Knight. He immediately starts out in his Angst phase so his moveset is easier to predict. It took me about two dozen tries, but god drat it felt good when I did it. In his normal form, his straight sword is too loving annoying. Blocking is utterly, utterly useless against him. He chews through your stamina. Allone though, you can block with a greatshield, except for his dark stabby move.

People make comments that Sir Allone's fight is just as "epic" as Artorias, which is complete bullshit. All you know about Sir Allone is that he was an eastern knight that taught the Iron King how to fight like samurai. His lore has the depth of a puddle compared to Artorias.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Average Bear posted:

I never played the DLC of DS1 (because how the hell was I supposed to find it). Is it worth the time to play through

It is easily the best content in the game. 3 of the 4 boss fights are the best in the game, with the introductory one being so-so.

If you do a little something out of the way in the DLC, you make the boss fight against Sif a little more special.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you defeat him without taking any damage, Alonne commits seppuku. The animation is him killing himself by stabbing himself in the stomach with his sword.

Holy loving poo poo. Do blocks count?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh yeah, he'll also bow to you if you bow to him at the start

God drat. Is there anything else like this in the game?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you kill Vendrick without any Souls of a Giant, he pulls out a Glock and shoots himself in the head.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you play through the entire game without dying or without resting at a bonfire you get a ring that makes one of your weapons invisible.

I saw those. That is definitely something I will exclude from my collection.

Ekster posted:

Well I kept rolling to the left instead of the right until the end when I figured that one out. His dash slash kept killing me because he has, I think, three different timings on those, but yeah it's way easier to dodge those if you roll right instead of left.

Guess I'm in the minority, though. Then again, Artorias was fairly easy for me. :shrug:

He isn't hard, and he isn't easy. It feels like a real duel. They nailed that fight.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 24, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm by no means an experienced pvper (I've won maybe 3 of the dozens of invasions I've had) but from the youtube videos I've seen miracles are used for buffs in pvp, like Greater Magic Barrier or the one you get from Velstaldt's Soul. Or if you want to troll and knock people off cliffs with Force.

I guess Sunlight Blade too, but there is resin for that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What are some decent boss soul weapons? I upgraded the Fume UGS, and its okay, but really heavy. I'm a strength build with some faith and dexterity.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Just clear the section of Iron Keep the Belfry Sol bonfire is near and the Belfry itself and use Unveil. If the floating eye goes through the grates, hes up. If not, sit at the bonfire and repeat. Incredibly simple. Took me a couple hours to get rank 3 in the covenant and the Mad Warrior drops.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 26, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo Sinh is a loving rear end in a top hat. He almost broke the Fume UGS!

edit: I take it break. Sinh is a swell guy. The triplets in the Cave of the Dead are bigger assholes.

Node fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 27, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

codo27 posted:

Do you think it could work, I'm not saying Dark Souls, but a new IP maybe, that had the same sort of crushing gameplay, but the entire world wasn't so drab? Am I the only one who would like a game like that? Now I'm not so versed in the lore as a lot of you, I'm not really at all, and I've beaten all 3 games. I loving love this series but I think it would be cool to feel like you were fighting for something. Go to the depths of hell, but when you go back to town, its actually a town, with interesting characters and storylines. What I'm getting at here goes against what the series has been about but god drat it the rest of the industry is nothing but plagiarism anyway, I'm surprised the style hasn't been copied and transplanted into a different type of setting.

Big towns aren't FROM Software's style. This goes back to the original King's Field and Shadow Tower. You have NPCs in completely random places, you're very alone, and the story philosophy is "show, don't tell." This excludes the Armored Core series obviously. Majula is the biggest gathering of people they've ever created, I believe. The Nexus in Demon's Souls might have more, but Majula feels like an actual village. I haven't played Bloodborne so I don't know if there is something bigger.

I get what you mean though, you want to see a game where you are fighting for a non transparent good cause. I bet if FROM made something like that it'd be amazing, but I think they are pretty settled in their isolated, ambiguous universes. They're good at it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ekster posted:

I finally finished Scholar of the First Sin, yay.

I like the new enemy placements, except for Iron Keep. The DLCs are overall pretty good, but not as amazing as Dark Souls 1's DLC. Only thing I found disappointing was Blue Smelter Demon and the third boss in Ivory King, if you're going to get lazy like that just don't add them in at all in my opinion. Aldia was an okay boss, but just like with Nashandra it lacks the atmosphere of the final fight with Gwyn in Dark Souls 1.

Everything else was good to great.

This has probably been discussed to death in this thread, but my two biggest gripes with Dark Souls 2 are its relatively linear design, as opposed to Dark Souls 1 interconnected spiderweb of a world, and Soul Memory is a retarded mechanic.

Dragon Aerie/Shrine is probably the coolest looking place in the game, its my favorite area out of the two games besides Anor Londo. Even though the architecture was almost a copy paste of real life cathedrals and buildings, its still loving amazing to look at an immaculate and endless city of Gods and Giants. That is, unless you kill amazing chest ahead.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 28, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tran posted:

Eh, I hated it for the statue bugs but the level itself wasn't so bad. Once you familiarize yourself with the area it should be obvious you can skip about really quickly with a little platforming.

Edit: ^^ Dragon Shrine wins just for the SotFS dragon knight royal rumble alone.

Dragon Shrine at the same time also pisses me off. There is this monolithic structure at the top of the stairs, and you never go inside. You just go and hear one line from the ancient dragon, and this structure could have just as much area to explore as the Shrine and Aerie combined.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I am fairly sure that whoever DESIGNED THE FRIGID OUTSKIRTS IS LITERALLY HITLER

Node fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 31, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tran posted:

Frigid Outskirts has two redeeming qualities. 1.) Everyone hates it so much that it's really easy to get summoned to co-op there. 2.) Extra bone fists.

They do not make up for the lightning horses.

I don't see any player signs at my soul bracket. Three things about the Frigid Outskirts:

1) I am summoning two NPCs and not giving a gently caress.

2) I am wearing the blessed King's Crown.

3) This place is Literally Hitler.

How do I avoid the lightning horse charges? Rolling left, right, forward, backward, does not seem to avoid it. I have to block with a shield.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Simply Simon posted:

If I remember correctly from my forays down there, it's heavily about timing, much less about reflexes like dodging usually is. You need to know where they're coming from already (sound), then wait until they are at a certain distance (that's where the timing part comes in), then dodge - unintuitively - towards them. Again, iirc. Once you figure it out, it should be doable easily enough. Then get a weapon that can kill them in one combo and you're good. Much luck!

R1 R1 from a red iron winblade does maybe half their health so I don't see one shotting them possible. I'll try dodging towards them.

If you unsummon phantoms before you enter boss fog gates, will the bosses still be powered up, or will their hp be adjusted for one player?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Simply Simon posted:

If you unsummon before, the bosses should not be buffed.

I did them with Ice Rapier, admittedly that's a high bar to clear :v:. If it helps a little: if you kill them enough, eventually they stop spawning. It's random where they come from, but each spawn "zone" can actually be depleted.

That's what I'm doing. These horses are assholes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The boss fight wasn't that bad solo. Sunlight Sword on a Raw Santier's Spear +5 and took down Lud as fast as possible, then poked Zallen slowly down. He regenerated, somehow. I think all that's left is the Throne of Want.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

sicDaniel posted:

Wow, that run up to Sir Alonne is very bad. Way worse than the Iron Passage. Somehow the Alonne guys are the worst enemy in the game for me. They should have called the whole DLC "run past enemies simulator 2014". Guess I'll just summon NPC phantoms and clear the area a dozen times. :coffee:

Yeah, those gauntlets in those optional areas in DLCs are kinda pointless if you can just clear them out twelve times. I had to do it for the loving lightning horses, I can not get the timing down to dodge their charge no matter what, and my agility is 105.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Nashandra is nothing compared to Gwyn. I don't mean the fight mechanics, just the buildup and the meaning of the battle. It feels like you're defeating the Big Bad Evil that you've done in... every single other game ever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The Rat Covenant is cheap and cheesy as you can possibly get but god drat if it isn't funny. I could even be meaner and stand behind where the gray spirits are summoned.

Once that is done, that'll make every covenant rank 3 except BoB and Blue Sentinels. I'll never get those up. BoB you can actually lose ranks, and Blue Sentinels require too much Tokens of Fidelity/crushed blue orb gathering. I've never, ever seen an arbiter spirit come to my aid when I was in Way of the Meek. Plus I'm terrible at pvp anyways. I need Gyrm, rats, and undead elephants to help me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tran posted:

Don't feel bad about cheesing with the rats. The victim doesn't stand to lose anything but a little time, so nobody really worries about a lopsided fight against the rat.

I've lost to two people so far. One had an ice rapier, which is cheese vs. cheese, and the other knew just to outrun everything in the first room where I normally gank people. I could get ten more points in intelligence for the hex that slows your walking speed and have them die to rats while moving at a glacial speed in the water, but I'm already barely getting any summons at my soul memory bracket as it is.

Most invasions are hilarious though, generally they put a shield up while a couple mastadons and rats attack them, so I guard break them or cut them up. I just wish there were more people so I could get this over with.

I hate soul memory so goddamn much.

e: Okay, gently caress it. Anyone around the 14m SM mark feel like letting me farm you while you're AFK, say, 23 times? I'll give you an effigy for your troubles!

Node fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 2, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tran posted:

Not gonna' just lie down and die, but if 12 mil is in the same bracket I'll screw around in rat territory for a bit.

Edit: Hopefully the lightning rapier guy is you and I'm not wasting all this time against some random. Rapier, Estoc, whatever. Big stabby sword.

Haha that was me, with a Loyce Greatsword. I had to go to bed, so I ended the performance in a Jester's suit and a Chaneller's Staff, then committed seppuku for you. Thanks for the help! Only five more tails to go. You'd probably kick my rear end on even territory.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

Rat covenant invading (i.e. you're not the host) is fun cause you can just run past the idiot and go through the boss fog to win. This is super easy in Grave of the Saints, and is also not too difficult in the Doors of Pharros so long as you immediately book it and keep an eye out for any ranged attacks from them.

Only one guy I summoned figured that out and he won 3/4 times. The 3 times he ran up the ladder and killed Gyrm and then just killed me on fair ground. The other time I managed to win. Everyone else tries to fight me in the water and they have to decide to focus on me, or the monsters, and that gets them killed. Then there was friendly Tran who threw a bunch of fights for me so I could almost get rank 3 and be done with it.

I think if I tossed some ascetics into the bonfire to make the monsters stronger, or got enough intelligence to cast Tranquil Walk of Peace, that might stop that strategy. You can't harm the monsters while you're in the covenant, so I am guessing the slow effect won't take hold on them, so they'll get bitten, smashed, and mastadoned to death while moving at a snail's pace.

If they wanted to make that covenant better for the summoned, there should be checkpoints. While it's true you don't lose anything except time (and maybe Estus charges,) they could put in a system like this: if they killed some monsters, they get a minor reward, or if they survive long enough, they get some other, or if they make it halfway, they get another. And if they kill the host or get to the fog gate, they get the lockstone.

Of course, the better thing to do is to bring Gravelording back and make it work. Best covenant ever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
When do I want to infuse stuff, anyways? I have a high level character, my lowest stat is intelligence which is 20. I have 50 strength and faith. If I have a weapon that scales A or S in strength, do I not want to infuse it? Or does infusing it always help no matter what?

I know that infusing stuff with no scaling with Raw is pretty much a positive but other than that I'm not sure what to do. I infused my Heide Knight Sword with lightning since it seemed appropriate.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think I said this before, but the Rat Covenant would be a lot more interesting if the host couldn't attack the summoned player directly, and instead had to rely on activating traps to defeat them. As it is, winning in Doors of Pharros is trivially easy because you can just camp the ladder.

That would be awesome. They'd have to make that traps a lot better though.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

dis astranagant posted:

And the r2s are secret tech against shield users.

The only time I've ever seen someone use shields is when they're an obvious pve player not prepared for a Ratbro or Bellbro. I've seriously never seen a red or blue phantom with a shield. You'd think you might see a buckler to parry with, but I don't even see that.

I'm kinda disappointed that shields are useless in pvp. At least, that is what I have observed. Kick >>>>>>>>>>>>> guard break.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's based on your max equip load, not your current weight. To get the max damage bonus you need 60 maximum equip load, which means 14 vitality. That means you pretty much have to use no armor.

Which is kinda stupid I think. An item that you can only benefit from if you purposely limit your build, or have to use a soul vessel for, is kinda dumb. It should scale down with encumbrance. That way, if people with heavy armor want to benefit from Flynn's Ring, they need to use two slots for the Soldier's Ring and TDR.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
When you L2 with certain two handed weapons and do a flourish (like the Loyce Greatsword) is that supposed to be a parry? Because I've never gotten it to work, even against hollow infantry. Does it have a pitifully small parry frame window?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If you parry someone with it, they'll be really embarrassed.

Instead of the riposte sound, the game should play an "Oink!" instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
This question has probably been asked and answered, but this thread is over a year old and has over a thousand pages.

What did Vendrick steal from the giants? I did notice in the basement of Majula's mansion that the (a?) Lordvessel is on the ground, shattered. But it couldn't have been that, if it was something as important as the Lordvessel, it wouldn't be in the dirty basement of a rundown village.

And no, he didn't steal Sweet Shaliquor.