Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
is there a recommended time to attempt the DLC? I'm at soul level 120ish with a Sorcery Rapier build, have killed Rotten and Lost Sinner, and am very very bad at this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

they're not so bad with Gold Pine Resin but boy howdy are they tough in a normal first playthrough

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

Also also the losing max hp when you die thing is so dumb

Get the Ring of Binding from Heidi's tower of flame

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

you should get enough Lockstones in normal play to open up whatever outside of the Ratbro areas

e: like I'm just past Drangleic Castle and have opened almost every contraption I've seen and I'm currently carrying 6.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 11, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

is it possible to get from the Tower Apart bonfire (Pursuer drop off) in Lost Bastille to Straid without killing Ruin Sentinels? I'm trying to get my twink to the Agape Ring and would like to avoid No Man's wharf if possible.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Yeah, I dont think I can. I tried looking for a path on another character and there's no path to the dogs area without opening the gates by McDuff, accessible from the other side only.

not boned exactly, but my twinking will not be as effective.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Gaping Ring: achieved. Soul Memory, 99251. I'm sure I could do better but Forest of Fallen Giants is still popping up orange so this should be fine.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

That blacksmith probably has nothing for you at this point anyway. they deal in high end boss souls that the weak and pitiful Straid cannot.

have you bought the Branch from Melentia yet? or Magerold? those are easy ones to get (once you get to Magerold)

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 15, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Weaponsmith Hornyfucks

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I've spent like a hundred hours in this game and I still get owner but the mace knights from Heidi

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Trek through three dlcs and finally face the true villain of the series, Capra Demon and 2 dogs in a tiny room

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

any tips for the three graverobbers in Sunken city DLC? it seems like a huge uphill battle to do solo, and I do hardly any damage at this point (I'm a Hexer). using the npc summons and it still felt far from enough help.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Eleum Loyce sure does love it's 4+ enemy encounters huh. This is kinda miserable. and I'm not even at Frigid Outskirts yet.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ds2 doesnt use soul level matchmaking, it has soul memory. You'll want to bee-line the Agape Ring from Straid. route is Heide, No-man's Wharf, grabbing the Fragrant Branch, to Lost Bastille, while killing as little as possible.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

starts tomorrow, skeleton

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Frida Call Me posted:

does sotfs include password matchmaking? or do i still have to swap rings in/out a minimum of 128 times if i want to a do co-op run

sadly no. There's the Name-engraved Ring from Shalquoir in Majula that increases the summoning range if two players are wearing it and choose the same god, and excludes all others.

available gods are

Nehma - Goddess of Love
Caitha - Goddess of Tears
Calib - God of Disease
Kremmel - God of Struggle
Evlana - Goddess of the Hunt
Hanleth - Goddess of Bliss
Nahr Alma - God of Blood
Zinder - God of Desire
Quella - God of Dream
Caffrey - Goddess of Fortune

I propose the goon god be Kremmel, God of Struggle

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

you can get the Washing Pole from Harvest Valley which is only two bosses in if you bee-line for it.

Highly useful map showing how the levels connect

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

more helpful newbie tips:

- in character creation, hit the random face button repeatedly until it gives you a monstrosity

- Rapier is probably the best pve weapon. available early, low requirements, low stamina usage, quick animation, decent poise damage, and high counter damage (bosses have very large counter windows).
However, everyone else will probably be using one, so be a bit creative, ok?

- If you're dying a lot and frustrated by losing health each time, the Ring of Binding is available from Heidi's Tower of Flame. it reduces the amount lost by half. so instead of losing 50% max hp, you only lose 25%.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I've put like 150 hours into this game over the last 6 months and I still die to old knights in Heidi

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I still die to aurotarget aiming me off a dock in Wharf

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

already got matchmade with a guy in Catarina armor in Forest of fallen giants. what a legend.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it was an anti twinking mechanic replacing the old anti twinking mechanics, and just like the old ones, it causes some problems

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

sounds as tho you need to git gud op. a common problem.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the path from Wharf is actually the front door. the path from Tower Apart is the secret path, but wont get you to Straid unless you kill Ruin Sentinels, or you open gates from the Wharf side.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

like half the people I've run into has been doing this, it's pretty wild

I got my Work Hook and I'll be infusing it with Mundane tonight :getin:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Reality Protester posted:

I got my Work Hook and I'll be infusing it with Mundane tonight :getin:

update: wtf this sucks

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

on consoles you merely have to beat the game, beat the game on ng+, then make it back to Castle Drangleic. should only take a hundred hours or so.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Oscar Wild posted:

I got my stats up to power stance the warped sword and its suddenly 50x more fun. Should I warp/rapier, or warp/warp? How do I asetic a 2nd flexile sentry?

Go to the No Man's bonfire, select Burn, and there will be an option to burn an Ascetic. If you don't have an Ascetic, easiest one is probably the one in the cage elevator shaft near Straid.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Oscar Wild posted:

They figured the Player would just murder her before going to NG+ for whatever outfit she dropped so they pulled her.

There are ratings issues around being able to kill kids in games. So they would have had to make her invincible, or remove her entirely.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

Are the rat covenant areas active at all? I've never tried it, but now seems like a good time if people are playing.

I found it pretty active, before the event even, at around 400k soul memory. Doors was busier than Grave generally. If there's another player there, it should summon them immediately if you enter the area with the ring. there's a 3 minute cooldown between summons, so there's plenty of posting downtime though.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 5, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

most of the action happens at the entrance but your mileage may vary. you get lockstones for winning so you can eventually unlock everything. I found releasing enemies to be the most useful.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

dark souls 2 is a good lookin video game

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Hot tip for Ruin Sentinels is to upgrade your weapon to +7 or higher. they have low hp, and can be focused down one by one before the others activate. npc summons are helpful mostly to help you manage aggro and not having to face two at once.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

nothing in DS2 is as bad as Capra Demon. maybe the Gank Squad in sunken city dlc? though that's dlc. Ruin Sentinels arent even a mandatory boss (yes I know Capra isnt either, but he's on the standard path).

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the Shrine of Amana Dragonrider is the real fight

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

occasionally in Forest I'll do some jolly coop for Pursuer and I'll get a guy who parries his every hit. that's how you get good.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Thought people might want to know there's a Return to Yharnam event going on now, if that's your jam

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

DS2 feels really bad with low adaptability. things you would effortlessly dodge in ds1/3 clips you for a chunk of your health. once you get it up to 20 or so, it's the easiest game to dodge out of sticky situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Shalquoir might have an item that might get him to talk to you