Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

After finishing up DS1+dlc, I'm moving onward to this one. Defeated the last giant boss.

One thing I'm noticing vs DS1: shield reliance seems less in this game. I don't know if it's just starter gear or what but you can get bullied hard by enemies. Even random hollows with long swords.

Plan so far: explore the woods area more and play around with weapon classes. Got 20 str/14 dex so that should get me a good amount of weapons. Maybe bump the dex up a bit I dunno. Want to focus more on the survival stats to not feel like a bucket of glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 hates shields it's true

Do you know about Adaptability?

That's the "get agility to 99" thing right? Do I have that right? It's such a weird first read of stats.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Well I found the pursuer. He seems to be weak to lazily moving out of the way. I did die but I'm bad and that's ok.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I found one off a skeleton on the way to the soldier quarters. Looks like they're possible to farm if I really need one.

Then I got stomped on by a battle mage dark spirit. Hell yeah now we're soulsing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yah I'm gonna do the adp first until 96/99 agi breakpoints then get the other ones up. Rolling is clunky coming from Elden Ring at my current agi.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Note that agi only affects i-frames, the smoothness and distance of your roll is independent of that, based rather on your carry weight, with no breakpoints at all (apart from 100%). I feel the breakpoint-less rolls where the best implementation in all three games.

No breakpoints eh? So no fat roll cutoff? Interesting.

Yeah by clunkiness I mean the iframe timing. It's too precise for my liking at 87 agi. Does parry depend a lot on shield type? I only used like two shields in DS1 and only started parrying for one specific reason (you know the one).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Whoops, I'm totally wrong. Fat rolls at 70%, smooth scaling under that.

In my defense, I did ds2 as a lightweight character and so I got to really enjoy not stressing about .1lb differences breaking some arbitrary threshold.

70% fat roll is hard wired into my brain so it's ok.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I plan on being a heavily armored, big dumb idiot just like in real life thank you very much. Strength build, biggest dumbest weapons, heaviest armor I can carry below fat roll.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good: defeated the pursuer. A couple more roll frames were all I needed. Plus my favorite Elden Ring tactic: roll into the attack.

Bad: farming those cool kings knights dudes looking for their armor I learned there's a respawn cap. Lame!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Also I think you can buy the knight gear from the armor guy in Majula.

I don't think that's same one but not sure. I was beating up those three knights that bum rush you with great swords in black armor.

Oh well you get a neat enough armor set after the boss. An actual cape!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll give a much better, and much more correct, take on DS2 when I finish it. Whenever that'll be.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

I did like the one in Forest. Just a good visual.

I assume because it's all a bunch of dudes copying each other, the placement of Heide knights in Scholar has become a huge point of contention amongst angry weirdos.

Heide knights are cool and good and my friend. Except the spear bro. He's dumb.

One shot both dragonrider and the boat boss. Good fan of the bastard sword and mace so far. Halberd was good for dealing with the heide knights.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I have found the large club. Hello, old friend, you and me did wonderful things together in Lordran.

Might work towards using it instead of the mace.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Make sure you try a parry/riposte or a backstab with it. The DS2 pancaking animation is brilliant.

I've noticed some sweet backstabbing animations. Bastard sword was cool. Mace was just like DS1.

None of the boss weapons so far seem fun. Dragonrider bow I'll probably get once I have the stats. Lots of sniper opportunities!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Dragonrider Bow is great yeah, it's one of if not the best STR bow. And unless you're a hardcore melee purist, having a ranged weapon makes life a lot easier in many rough spots.

My opinion on games (especially this genre): it's a cheese or be cheesed world out there. Use whatever tools the game gives you to win.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

axolotl farmer posted:

Beware, the DS2 large club has termites. It will break during a boss fight even if it was 100% durability at the fog gate.

I'm deep enough to say: DS2 durability is kind of dumb. Actually, weapon durability is just dumb in general.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 really wants you to have two or three main weapons, the game is much better if you know that, but that's DS2.txt for lots of things

They do and they actually do a good job with explaining it with how much a strike weapon thoroughly wrecks armored foes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fought the skeleton pit boss. I almost died because I was laughing too much. Kill a big skeleton and piles of little skeletons bwahahaha gets me every time. I love skeleton silliness.

Got the stats to effectively sport the drangleic sword so that's my slash weapon of choice. I like the way it looks swinging over the bastard sword.

Definitely got the hang of the combat. Felt like I cheated the lost sinner boss by summoning havel 2: great shield boogaloo. He just ate attacks while I smacked the boss. Did light the torches which probably helped.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Lightning. It's insanely weak to lightning. If you can chuck lightning spears, go for it, failing that, resins will also help a lot.

Have you encountered another skeletal boss? If not, I'd encourage you to re-explore the area before that boss. It's completely optional so no biggie, but if you like skeletons, you don't want to miss this one.

I did notice another path in the foresty area in the zone. I plan to explore that next time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Skeleton chariot wasn't as amusing as skeleton lord. Not very many skeletons, actual boss was horse breathing dark stuff. No match for the blacksmith hammer (always use strike vs skeletons, it's a rule). Having the chariot kill the skeletons was funny. I might try to kill off those tall guys with whip/pole just because they suck and they deserve it.

Onward to the next area which I assume has lots of poison swamp going by the fact the bonfire is in a cave guarded by a poison swamp.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

Just make sure to roll in the poison water for good luck.

Oh yeah for sure. Cover yourself in poison swamp and you can sneak up on enemies.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

goblin week posted:

It's a chariot for skeletons

Thank you, now I'm picturing it hauling hundreds of dancing skeletons.

Defeated a giant demon slug and headless snake lady. She threw her head at me then got a tail full of sword. Ladder bro told me about her so I was prepared for poison.

I now have two places to go: the pit in majula (thanks ladder bro) and iron keep. Which one has cool armor? I haven't upgraded any armor yet (wearing drangleic chest, royal sword hat) because I don't completely like the look. Looking for heavier stuff because big man smash.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Laddersmith Gilligan feels like the most DS2 NPC. Don't exactly know what that means nor able to explain why, so don't ask.

He knows the world's hosed so he's just making the best of it by making ladders that help people. I did buy his mini ladder because he seems nice. No clue what it does.

So far, vibes I'm getting from the NPCs are similar to DS1 except they all just know the cycle will repeat. Ds1 had hope that rekindling the flame would help. DS2 everyone seems to just know it's all poo poo and will continue to be poo poo no matter how many chosen undead are thrown at the problem.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe it's just that everyone seems hopeless because of the vast supply of forget me now pills.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Any recommendations on what to do with these bonfire ascetics? Items like this give me decision paralysis: they feel like megalixers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Went to iron keep and did battle with many knights. So many knights. They jump out from behind every pillar and window. Knights... Everywhere.

I think by the time I finally defeated the forge demon I had amassed like 150k souls. Demon was a damage sponge with some sneaky stuff.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, Iron Keep is great. Archers, knights, more knights, more archers, archers who are happy to pin you down from multiple directions, traps that are extremely obvious in retrospect, and that's just the area you've been to! Such a fun area, with a lot of neat twists.

Even more knights! And fire!

I have like 3 full sets of armor. I really want the big shoulder pads ones to drop.

I have 30 HP and 30 stam stat now thanks to the smelter demon.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Conquered Iron Keep and whatever pathway to Satan you call the place the Rotten exists. That's an awful descent that makes the rot lake look like Tahoe. Nice work, Miyazaki, hiding the poison swamp in statues.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

It makes the Rotten sad but just break 'em.

I don't think the Rotten cares anymore don't worry.

It wasn't that awful just some solid Souls design.

I apparently killed an NPC: scorpion bro. The bloodstains and very obvious sniping spot told me to kill with arrows. Oh well he dropped a sweet ring.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The chosen undead has to be a monster in order to endure the suffering of dying to things like cute little geckos and swinging so hard they fall off a cliff.

Scorpion boss was fun though. Smashed it good with my fancy new claymore a head sold me.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Spider cave is god-damned horrifying. So many more spiders than you can see and bow easily jump out everywhere. It's terrifying.

Oh then there's the torch that makes them not hostile. Then they all die and drop weapons they very obviously stole from undead that did not have a torch.

Boss was cool though, very fun fight reminding me of classic Zelda bosses. Then a flaming mass jumped up and told me to go "visit" the would be king. Off to Drangleic castle.

Lore question: don't spoil it with details but is the king I'm seeking the DS1 chosen undead? Four souls seem to be the souls that got chucked in the soul vessel going off their descriptions.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think there's any info that would support that.

The flaming mass seemed to suggest one other undead got close but messed up and that's actually the king I'm seeking. That's where the idea came from. Oh well more will be revealed I'm sure.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drangleic castle mostly conquered. I didn't see a way to get to the Queen where I'll obviously bash her face in get my head turned to cursed hamburger. At least made it to this rooty shrine area. I did like the statues, good bit of added fear added to the overall setting. No one's been there for a while so the guard just sat there, collecting dust, and became statues. Nothing was a match for the mighty power stance technique of craftsman hammer+mace.

I really want the reflect knight armor, that's some good drip. Currently wearing the syan knight gear it's good but harder to match with cool hats.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Pro tip: if you invade or set down a red sign in the mirror Knight hallway, you can get summoned to help him in a fight against another player

...those can be real people? One came out but it looked like an NPC I already smashed. Terrifying!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yup! You'll get an NPC most of the time but they can definitely be real people from time to time. I've done quite a few mirror knight invasions myself. They never expect it lol

I did use the guy with the big blue sword since he seemed like he wanted to come. He was a good meat shield.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Show some respect to Benhart! He is a true comrade.

I am! We share a common interest: a desire to smack all enemies with a sword (or hammer).

I did die to the mimic around the old knights like 3-4 times. Did you know their grab hit box is basically the entire balcony corner it hides in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pushed forward a bit and discovered a nifty place to farm twinkling titanite. Guess I'll stay here a while. At least to max a few items I've been wanting to max.