Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

Blue Smelter Demon? I assumed he'd be pretty easy. But no, I can't do him, not with 88 or 92 agility. I think that fucker, of all people, has ended my run.

Don't take my word for it, but having watched (too) many speedruns, I think a fair amount of Smelter attacks go over your head if you stick to his belly (and possibly a little bit left or right). Not sure if they're the ones blocking you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Simply Simon posted:

gently caress smelter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fikBebgxnNY

you can be a broken torch hollow in DS2 as well!

Burning bonfire ascetics for 15 minutes torch duration each has to be the most awesome ascetic flex *ever*. :lmao:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

VideoGames posted:

it genuinely is my favourite of the Souls trilogy

:five:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The absolute joy of killing two mobs guarding the outside of a door in the Bastille for the first time, only to end up being ganked by the 14 mobs inside. Or going down that ladder into the dog pit. Or the 68th Forlorn invasion. Or breaking your controller after getting killed for the 14th time in a row at the Chariot's fog gate. Or pulling that lever in Aldrich's Keep. :allears:

I wish I could experience that first run once again. Elden Ring has some moments that get close, mind, but even then, after spending so many hours on previous souls games, it didn't have that same rage-triggering quality, which made DS2 replays so exhilarating by comparison with the early days. I went into Drangleic all cocky from having beaten DS1, once, with Havel's set and a BKS. To say it was a bit of a shock would be an understatement.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I just knew that would be Happy Souls. :unsmith:

The first Pursuer sequence sums it up alright.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's been a while, but as I remember, Dark Orb was still doing its job. You need to cast more of it, but eh, there are plenty of copies around to stack the casts.

But yeah, it's faster if you have a weapon as an alternative. MLGS with Enchanted infusion turns to pure physical damage that scales with INT. It's a pretty reliable fallback, not to mention how stylish you look when wielding it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Playing through as a hexer this time. For backup against resistant bosses (Elana :argh:) I have used a hand axe infused with magic. It’s actually a pretty drat good weapon!

Enchanted MLGS is the elite caster's weapon of choice for any-kind-of-magicy damage resistant foe. Nobody expects the book nerd to suddenly go pure physical two-handed.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Congrats. And even more so if you did phase 1 honestly. I just use Velstadt's helmet to skip it and just phase 2 from the start. I just can't deal with his dual wielding.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DeadButDelicious posted:

Would I be screwing myself over if I redid my stats at the start of a NG+ run? I'd really like to mix things up next time as this one I just went fat with a greatshield and either craftmans hammer or gyrm great hammer. I'm coming off the back of doing 3 sorc runs back to back to get all the DSR trophies and I've tried no magic or dex stuff whatsoever in this game.

Absolutely not, go wild. Though I'd recommend you redo your stats before moving to NG+, and take time to farm souls, buy titanite and upgrade your new sets of weapons. Otherwise you might be short of resources to do so in NG+ and it's annoying.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Party Boat posted:

There's also one in the shaded woods to get a key to free Ornifex for boss weapons

Right down the road!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Crazy Achmed posted:

Really? Although I've found like 3 or 4 slabs already, i only have enough chunks/twinkling/dragonbone to upgrade one weapon of each category to full. Although i guess there's still the dlc areas to go.

Didn't you meet the stone-selling NPC? She's sitting by the entrance of the poison swamp and moves to Majula afterwards. As you progress through the game, her titanite stock keeps improving/expanding.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I can't believe it I finally got a platform kill in Iron Keep. You know those platforms that flip downwards when you walk over the button? A host was standing on one, with a Crystal Homing Soulmass over their head. I simply jump down, rush down the button, and watch them try and panic roll to safety.

:golfclap:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

If you absolutely have to trivialize most human-sized pve in this game, then 2-hand a great hammer like the great club, and pancake everything with R2s.

Warning: may have side effects, like loss of brain cells, and inability to use any other move. I've tried to sunbro people who have crutched on that move, and watched their attacks bounce harmlessly off shields, leading to brutal punishes by trash enemies. I've seen Havels that do nothing but R2, giving me dirt easy backstab punishes. And they don't stop doing that move and I don't stop backstabbing.

Also: poison arrows. Best poison arrows in all souls games combined. And they're not limited to human-sized foes either. :getin:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Moon Monster posted:

The Memory of the old Iron King (the Alonne gauntlet and fight) is also one of the DLC co-op poo poo zones, but people never seem to count it with the other 3 because it has a cool boss I guess.

I don't feel the Sir Weeabo gauntlet is that bad. It's relatively sprintable (as opposed to Iron Passage hexers that slow you down) and a lot shorter than Horsefuck Valley.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

Wait hang on there's two MLGSs? Can you powerstance them?

The NPC sitting by the ruins in the beginning has one, but it's a fake.

quote:

Also Hexer sounds like a good idea, there's multiple Dark Orbs, right?

Plenty of copies yeah, and the spell comes with genereous numbers of casts in itself, so it's your bread and butter for spamming damage. And DS2 has consumables to replenish spell casts.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You're a hexer. Any silly melee weapon can be turned into a monster with Dark Weapon/Magic Weapon (or the others, but they come later in game iirc).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
iirc Benhart's final appearance is in an out of the way section of a giant memory. And like Lucatiel, you probably need to have summoned him in boss fights without him dying too. It's stupidly obscure, in pure souls npc quest style.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I really really dig the MLGS look in this game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

Oh... well then. Good luck, I'll remember you forever, Lucille.
:argh:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

Did I actually miss two bonfires in the castle or are these for later on?

One is just a hidden bonfire on the path to Nashandra, and the other is accessed from the room with all the doors and the soul absorbing doors. This one had a special NPC nearby which gates a hidden boss.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

rip

First of all, nobody likes dragons, so Sinh goes on the backburner for being stupid. The last Giant Soul for Vendrick is again a dragon, so how about those Smelter Wedges? I heard they were 1 short, could one Bonfire Ascetic to get more? Also any way of restocking the traders in Majula?

Sinh is my favourite dragon in the series. It's just a cool fight with a good balance of air vs ground making it feel like you're actually fighting a dragon and not a giant lizard, the arena is super scenic, and Sinh itself looks awesome with that spear still in. The giant drake in the sanctum is just a bad fight though.

Regarding wedges, can't remember if there's one missing or if the last one is behind Fume Knight, but it shouldn't be a big deal at any rate unless you've already been overzealous. There are plenty of statues that are just a minor inconvenience and that you can just ignore, such as the one at the top of the tower for example.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

What giant drake in the sanctum are you talking about? Do you mean the ancient dragon in the dragon shrine?

Yeah, sorry, the giant fake dragon above the eyrie, its shrine indeed, not sanctum.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

The NPC summons were a mean joke, papier-mâché wizzard died in only a handful of hits, and caestus lady did single digit damage per hit, just cruel.

Fume Knight is a boss where imho, even if you're struggling, you're better off solo. The NPCs are really so-so and not worth the massive increase in HP the boss gets due to their mere presence.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

165 deaths later a lie remains a lie.

Thanks for coming to my TEDx talk y'all.

Congrats on going with the Good Ending (tm).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I love Gutter/Black Gulch. They're both fantastically oppressive the first time you explore them, have plenty of nooks and crannies, and are actually pretty straightforward to run should you want to. Plus lighting up the Gutter in full makes it look almost pretty. No Man's Wharf is pretty close too in terms of mood.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
In my first run, I first went to Heide instead of Forest. It was rough. Particularly as I never spotted that bonfire on the right of the first platform, so I kept running back from Majula. :negative:

When I (much later) saw a streamer light that bonfire, I was like WTF?!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Mostly mechanical and non-spoilery things that would feature in an old-school game manual:
- Estus heals over time and will be a lot more limited than in DS1.
- However there are consumables called Life Gems for healing in addition to Estus.
- There's a dedicated button to look for/open a secret door, hitting the wall with the sword doesn't work in DS2.
- Stamina and Max Weight are now tied to two separate stats from DS2 onward, no more double dipping.
- There's a new stat called Adaptability which is kind of a big deal. If you look at the extended stats sheet, there's a derived stat called Agility that comes mostly from Adaptability. This is what determines how many invincibility frames you get on a roll. Main breakpoints are 96/99/105 for respectively 11/12/13 iframes. If you feel like your roll doesn't protect you from hits, this is likely due to your low Agility, like 85 Agility gives you just 5 iframes. Up to you to decide how much you want/need, and pump ADP until you get there.
- There's a mechanic called Power Stance that gives you special moves when you dual-wield, based on the weapon type combinations (sword+sword, sword+mace, mace+dagger, but really: UGS+UGS). You activate it like two-handling with a long press on, errr, the Y button? The twist is that you need 50% more STR/DEX than the weapons requirements for power stance to be an option. If you do, you'll notice a slight change in hands stance of the character, and from there L1/L2 will be special two-weapon strikes which drain stamina like there's no tomorrow but pack a punch, and more importantly, look awesome.

Building for dex should be super straightforward and you can have fun pairing dex weapons together to try our power stancing. And nothing wrong with dipping into whichever magic you want on the side. There's a lot of game in DS2, you'll get more than enough xp to diversify as you see fit.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 27, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

I am INTENSELY TILTED at this "you lose maxhp on dying" horseshit. I've lost 23k xp when I've only ever bought a single levelup, and my next still only costs 900. Every hit is taking off 40% of my effectively-max hp, and I've run out of consumables to reverse the process. I think I'm just gonna kill 3 enemies, run back to town to levelup, and repeat ad nasuem. Jesus christ that's grinding what am I doing wrong, I never had to grind anything with the first game gently caress me.

Investing in HP early on is very much recommended. And if the max HP loss tilts you enough that you feel like getting a spoiler, then:

There's a chest across the boss room of Heide's Tower of Flame (area accessible directly from Majula) which contains a ring that halves the max HP loss, effectively capping the HP loss to 25% at full hollowing.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
This is my favourite and most played souls game, I also 100%ed Sekiro, and I still can't parry reliably in DS2.

Don't mind parrying, it's really really really optional. It's not like in DS1/DS3 where parrying is the ultimate strat against otherwise tough bosses. In DS2 it's just a way to see more of the stupidly brutal riposte animations (which, for best effect, should be done with a greathammer or UGS).

Good job on the Pursuer too. I feel like this is the main roadblock on a first playthrough due to the low stats and tools you have when you meet him. Once you're past it, things get a lot easier.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

There's one guy in the misty jungle ruins who is really erratic about when he shows up, and I owe him a favor.

Might be Forlorn, who has multiple spawn points and two variants (GS and scythe). Some spawn points are guaranteed, some are RNG. Forlorn has probably killed more DS2 speedruns/challenge runs than gravity.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Simply Simon posted:

Were there actually OP PvP builds because of powerstancing being too good?

Well, duh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IiQ1H4kxNQ

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

My man that's just a parry build with extra steps.

But those extra steps are the spice that transform a boring tryhard parry build into a thing of beauty featuring a fat-rolling naked man with a ladle. :discourse:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

None of those disadvantages apply to ps caestus :smug:

I did a Return to Drangleic as Muhammad Aldi. Had to finish it offline sadly, as that was the year the event got cut short by the multiplayer exploit.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
In my first playthrough, I thought "Armourer Dennis" was a player bullying me so hard I ended up quitting and relaunching offline to finally get across that bridge. And of course:

"Invaded by Armourer Dennis"
:negative:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Since everything apart from slabs in eventually in infinite supply, I always upgrade my armour to +9 because why not? Unless you're rolling like a pro and never get hit, it'll make the difference here and there between being on a sliver of health and being able to crack lifegems or being dead and running back in.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think you've absolutely nailed the fashion, no respec needed
:hmmyes:

That Desert Sorceress hood never gets old.

Repair is ok, but eeeeh, there's Repair Powder, so... I'd slot in a magic weapon buff instead, it's always more damage.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I went to Drangleic because I got the key in a humble bundle.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

One of the worst crimes of DS2 was hiding the good pyromancy within NG++ or an inpossible pvp covenant challenge.

Just ascetic the place twice.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Doesn’t work. You need to be in NG++ to buy the Great Chaos Fireball from the ghost guy.

Oh, right, one of those. Yeah, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

goblin week posted:

everything NG+ can be gotten with ascetics, excepting for:
- curved twinblade
- crescent sickle
- spirit tree shield
- wrath of the gods miracle
- bountiful sunlight miracle
- great chaos fireball

so the Blue Sentinels and Brotherhood of Blood gear

But conveniently enough, DS2 has the NG++ chancellor in the castle hall selling those spells/miracles, so even with dead covenants, you can feed the brainworms and complete all achievements.