Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821061501100032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Amana is dirt easy fyi when you realize you can simply side step and juke all the homing projectiles the enemies launch at you.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Aldia's Keep is a straight line you can run the whole thing in seconds.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I made a Santier's Spear character and I've been terrorizing hosts with it. It has such a good moveset. 1h R1 pokes. Twinblade 2h R1s. A curved sword 1h running attacks. Halberd spin2win 2h running attacks.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Deathless Fume Knight lesgo. I somehow found him easier than Sinh. 99 agility is a ton more than when I last fought him at SL1.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
And a deathless Ivory King as well. All those Charred Loyce Knights would be too easy if you could backstab them, so instead they made them extremely easy to parry on their running attacks. Santier Spear is an extremely flexible weapon. Once the second phase started my rolls were on point, and I was dealing so much damage that the final Loyce Knight survived.

Not great against Alonne however, my typical strat against him calls for weapons with low-recovery running attacks. Had to break out the ole Longsword for him.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The thing about Shaded Woods is that it is tiny and easy to clear so long as you hug the left wall. It's also fun to invade if they're being harassed by the ghosts, just burst out of the darkness and spin2win your halberd on top of them to give them a heart attack.

Anyway the boss of Sinner's Rise terminates one of the branches of the world map. Clear them first, the boss is the lowest level of them.

Soldier's Rest bonfire is a dead end, you actually approach that portcullis from the other side from exploring.

Targray is another dead end.

No-Man's Wharf is optional. Don't worry about trying to reach a ship in Lost Bastille.

Shaded Ruins is worth exploring, though it leads to higher level areas. You can open those 2 doors near Shaded Woods later in the game.

Those other 2 paths that extend from Majula are very important.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Holy gently caress the Blue Smelter is the loving death of me. I can't seem to break through it. There's a reason why I dropped him at SL1.

Yes I know the roar signals you should roll. Except that doesn't apply to his super delayed backhand swing he does.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Oh wow the Foot Soldier Sword, for what seems like a piece of trash that drops from trash mobs, turns out to be extremely strong. It has rock bottom requirements which is perfect for a hexer. And it infuses well. And it has the best kind of straight sword moveset in the game, better than that of longsword, because it has an R2 poke in both 1h and 2h mode. And the 2h running R1 poke.

The only downside is its awful durability. Better make sure you have a backup, like say 2 copies of dark orb.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
oh yeah and i forgot to mention, FSS also 25 poise damage, way higher than other SS, so it's gonna stagger anyone in pvp

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Lmfao yes I got a dragon rope bridge kill (well, more like murder-suicide).

Broke some dragon eggs, baited the host onto the bridge, then it was a matter of keeping them engaged until a dragon appeared and ripped apart the bridge and sent us both plummeting towards the surface.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I can't believe it I finally got a platform kill in Iron Keep. You know those platforms that flip downwards when you walk over the button? A host was standing on one, with a Crystal Homing Soulmass over their head. I simply jump down, rush down the button, and watch them try and panic roll to safety.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Vendrick is actually insanely easy if you keep rotating right, keeping just behind or just past his left leg (your right).

The hitbox of Vendrick's sword sweep actually terminates before the sword stops moving, meaning you can safely keep rolling right. Just don't be stupid and manage your stamina.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI Dark Souls 2 is the second easiest of the Dark Souls games, after Dark Souls 1.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
If you absolutely have to trivialize most human-sized pve in this game, then 2-hand a great hammer like the great club, and pancake everything with R2s.

Warning: may have side effects, like loss of brain cells, and inability to use any other move. I've tried to sunbro people who have crutched on that move, and watched their attacks bounce harmlessly off shields, leading to brutal punishes by trash enemies. I've seen Havels that do nothing but R2, giving me dirt easy backstab punishes. And they don't stop doing that move and I don't stop backstabbing.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Vermain posted:

the Force spell + Stone Ring is a guaranteed stagger on everything that has poise, even against havel-armored enemies, so you can at least get around the tower of flame easily by just punting 'em into the drink

This is also a good way to cheese the NPCs in the Dark Chasms.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
First phase, rolling right during his initial straight sword swings usually puts you out of hitbox range for his thrust, after it's a matter of rolling the UGS followup and punishing. Then after that it's a matter of stamina management discipline.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

IronicDongz posted:

they had to nerf powerstancing multiple times in elden ring and it's still insanely strong with some setups and for a long time was just overtly better than wielding weapons normally with most setups. and that with no additional stat investment required beyond perhaps needing to free up some weight.

it's still like that on any build that cares about status infliction at all, which happen to be an incredibly good sort of build(bleed)

It has been speculated that the elden ring power stance animations were implemented relatively late in development, without much thought to how they would compare to each other or to the normal r1 moveset. So many power stance movesets are objectively better. Standouts are spears, straight swords. They are just as if not faster than normal movesets, and have the normal length recovery. Then there are ones you’d think are good, like daggers, which are in fact bad because they lock you into an animation for too long.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
One of the reasons why DS2 kind of looks bad in comparison to the 3rd Generation of Souls is they really hadn't worked out how to make lots of good looking normal maps everywhere. A decent normal map breaking up a wall's texture makes even cheap textures like those of DS3 look great. DS1 made up for its textures with lots of blinding PS3/360-era bloom, but DS2 hadn't worked out its lighting engine (not even in SotFS).

Also, the invader:host dynamic is actually horrendously tilted in favor of the invader in DS2. For a start, you can be invaded while hollow. And not only can the invader have more health at the same vitality investment than the host, but the invader can potentially have more skill points total if they were using their soul memory efficiently. And the hosts are drastically under-served. If you use the wex dust mod in DS2, you can get constant activity everywhere. It's great.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

ive never had a player invader actually try to kill me in DS2 they just point out a shortcut i missed or something and then roll off a cliff

I will 100% make a mental model of the host I've invaded, work out if they need help opening the nearest hidden shortcut/bonfire, celebrate with pumped up emotes, then immediately murder them.

Simply Simon posted:

That's a much better answer - I only ever powerstanced daggers and twinblades in ER, and those seemed fine to bad. In DS2, apart from the stat requirements, you have the drawbacks of having to wield two weapons (often heavier than shields), having to upgrade them both, the powerstance animations are often slower, consume a lot more stamina...you have to know when it's worth using them and with what weapon classes. I always thought that the stat requirements were stupid especially for weapons like the Bone Fist which require 30 dex for some reason, and welcomed ER removing the requirement.

Also, once again, what kind of balance are we talking about? Were there actually OP PvP builds because of powerstancing being too good? I only ever heard complaints about katanas (as usual), especially the rivers of blood one.

The best PS attacks are the ones that come out simultaneously, anything else locks you in an animation for too long that you'd get punished. Hence why PS spears, straight swords, curved swords and greatspears are so popular. PS Spears are particularly braindead, you can literally mash L1 through everything, with excellent range and speed.

So ER PS Katanas aren't that great, they have a good rolling and jumping L1s, but neutral and running L1s come out staggered that if the enemy rolls in the correct direction neither of the attacks will hit, while leaving you open to a recovery punish. RoB has been so heavily nerfed that it's hardly viable these days.

Meanwhile, in DS2, PS attacks require alot of consideration. You could rush for PS mace and craftsman's hammer super early on, but it's in reality a trap option because it costs so many stats.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
My man that's just a parry build with extra steps.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Anyway, powerstancing in DS2 is kinda underpowered. It's just too stamina-expensive and too risky. Like all Souls games, the best attacks come out fast and have a fast recovery, PS-ing lacks that. There is one scenario where PS-ing is viable, and that is a bug: the so-called "quick attack". Where if you are in power-stanced mode, you do an attack, then de-activate your power stance within a tight timing window, and the attack you started committing towards comes out lightning fast. It's near unreactable.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Slabs are dirt common in DS2, you even get one far too early in FoFG.

It's Chunks that are trickier. You can get enough to upgrade at least 2 weapons to +9 scattered across Gutter/Iron Keep/Tseldora, which is still surprisingly easy. That's right, you can get +10s even before you hit the endgame path of Drangleic Castle > Amana > Undead Crypt > Dragon Shrine, or before you even touch the DLCs. But if you want to upgrade alot of weapons in one playthrough, you're going to have to purchase them from the stone merchant. And that means either spending your Soul Memory, or farming.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Serephina posted:

Well yea, that and when I first decided on the look I was at 17% load, which is a liiitle bit overkill. I'm not even using powerstance with that setup as the weapon ranges are so disimilar, I feel like I've "missed the point" somehow with a dual-wielding dex guy, like I should be using curved swords or something.

Also I popped back into the sleeping giant forest quickly, and accidentally got my 0-poise rear end murked by a few hollow soldiers as I forgot they treat their swords like rapid-fire spears at times. It really pointed out the scaling the game has; your hp doesn't really go up much from lvl 20->120, but your dps sure does, so early game enemies might die in a single shot but they can still hit hard. It's weird. Also I'm not sure there's much point in levelling up random stats anymore, as the wiki points out that the returns are nil, and so I'd have to branch out into new domains like more casting or Str or something. Guess I'm spending most of my souls on buying titanite now, which is fine.

Oh, and all of a sudden my bonfire warp menu blew up, there's a ton of greyed out locations in the main selection, not just the sub-location choices. Might have had something to do with poking my head into the Icy Domain (dlc?), but it's ugly and spoiler-riffick.

You have too much Vitality, aka your stat that governs your equipment load max limit. If you are using a Flynn's Ring, you want to keep it to just at 60, going any higher actively costs you a damage bonus from Flynn's Ring. In your case drop it down to 14 Vitality.

Assuming you have a equipload of 11.6 units of weight, once you drop to 14 Vit you should still be under 20% equipload for stamina recovery and roll distance. But trying to keep under 20% equipload you're hitting diminishing returns on stamina recovery, so don't worry about that, I personally just like to keep under either 30, 50 or 70%.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Do not use mundane infusion it is awful these days.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I don't think that's correct, DS3 also had roll poise. You still had to hit some kind of poise threshold on your equipment screen, but once you did some enemy attacks that rollcatch you will not knock you out of your rolls.

Rollcatching is extremely important in DS2 though. The pace of the combat is slow enough that you can very reliably roll-catch even with high latency. Hence rolls had to be strategic and in reaction to the enemy attacks. Meanwhile DS3 rolls are so fast and the iframes last so long, especially with latency extending iframes, that trying to rollcatch was an absolutel shitshow.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Just parry pursuer to death. Every time you do so he gets sad and takes a nap for a second.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Greebling up your normal maps goes a long way, it's relatively cheap on computing and developer resources. So is copious amounts of PS3 era bloom.

DS2 graphics just don't hold up in the same way as DS1 and DS3 alas.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I legit think Bed of Chaos simply needs a bit more work to make an excellent puzzle boss. There’s some great narrative when you pop both bubbles and climb into her, and see what the witch of izalith has transformed into.

It helps that I got super lucky on my first play through and I wasn’t being constantly environment killed by the death pit. So, just make the pit non lethal, put a ladder out, reduce damage in swipes and firestorms.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The first real breakpoint is getting to 86 agility, which is a pain especially for Bandit starts. And Bandit is best starting class for pure melee, because they dump Attunement. That means the first 5 levels will go into ADP to get to that 86 agi breakpoint.

After that there is a smooth increase, and the first real softcap is at 99 agility. Getting to 105 is a pain and I don't even go for that even at meta pvp.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Santier Spear is very fun and also very easy to play.

Twinblades is also good, especially if you can hit the Red Iron Twinblade.

Halberds and Reapers are tricky to use thanks to their sweet spot mechanic.

Curved Swords are very fun to use in general.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Bone Fist/Caestus is extremely stylish but I'm honestly not convinced it's any better than Caestus/Caestus for PvE and absolutely anything else for PvP.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I uh seem to have run into a game breaking bug on my RtD character.

Now, in order to activate the lift to get the key to King's Passage, you need to kill a Manikin right next to and power up a golem statue. So the lift lowered as expected, but now the lift is stuck. As in, I step on the pad when it is lowered, and there is zero response.

The only thing I can think of that could have done something weird to how the coding is done is I got invaded by an Arbiter spirit right at the same time as the lift was powered, but surely that's not enough to break the game.

And since the lift is in the lowered position, the lever does not work. Nor does reloading the area through either deaths or bonfire teleports.

Elden Lord Godfrey fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Indeed, with some early vigor and the life and blue rings, you can get an early fragrant branch from FoFG and drop down the majula pit.