Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Vintersorg posted:

It's a LONG game.
It really is. 13h played on current character, level 105, collected half of the required Big Souls, and haven't touched any of the DLC yet.
Best thing about DS2 is that there's so much of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Jump to the right after the bridge, watch the chasing mobs de-aggro and fall through the gaps in the bridge.

giZm fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 11, 2021

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

The best thing about DS2 is that there's so much of it.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivsIU98-Adw
Limit Breakers proving that DS2 is the superior Souls for 52 minutes

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

The video triggered me, currently reinstalling DS2 SOTFS. I don't think I actually beat any of the DLCs, or even acquired the MLGS according to the Steam achievements. Shameful.
Was that E3 presentation lighting mod ever finished?

e: doesn't look like it

giZm fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 24, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Hexer with the true MLGS was a fun build. Recommended!

e: The trophy is for the fake MLGS. The true one is the good one.

Wait hang on there's two MLGSs? Can you powerstance them?

Also Hexer sounds like a good idea, there's multiple Dark Orbs, right?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Yes, indeed. Majula in 4k, and it barely taxes the system.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

burn a bonfire ascetic and defeat The Duke's Dear Freya again to get Seath's soul..
I will absolutely do that then, thank you for the heads-up.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

And so it begins. Granted this was from a suicide run to get the Ring of Binding, but still. Also I'm going to basically Vlog this, just so I don't get distracted half-way through.

e: does ADP also determine casting speed or is it DEX again?

giZm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 24, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Neither. It's mostly attunement, but some faith and intelligence too.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/casting-speed
Neat, so it'll just get faster naturally. Thanks!
Oh man, now that old guy in No-Man's Wharf will actually talk to me for the first time, this is exciting.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Shameless double post.

Beat Pursuer and Last Giant, died once to invading Armorer Dennis, grabbed the The Tower Apart bonfire, then went back to Heide's to beat Dragonrider, died once more at No-man's Wharf because of greed, became BFF with Lucatiel, beat Flexile Sentry, grabbed Exile Holding Cells bonfire
Hit SL50 at that point.

DS2 always felt easier than the other Souls games, even more so now as a wizzard.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

6 more deaths. 1 to gravity, 4 to Pursuer because I'm a big dumdum with a greed problem, and 1 to Ruin Sentinels because I fell down and panicked.
Freed Straid, got Dark Orb, need to level FTH now I guess to get the damage of it up?

e: more Pursuer deaths, but Sinner down
e2: Belfry Gargoyles down, because why not. Died a few times to those pesky bell guards, but worth it.

giZm fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 26, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Level int and fth until you get the spinning orb catalyst from hexer guy. Then give it a dark infusion and :getin:

Got the Spinnystaff of Sunset (+3, thanks Pursuer) and some Hexer drip, no idea where to get the dark infusion stone but it's still a long road ahead anyway so I'm sure I'll come across one eventually.

Shaded Woods turns out to be problematic without lock-on, right now I'm stuck with either running past the ghosts or using my silly dagger to slowly chip away at them.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

You're a hexer. Any silly melee weapon can be turned into a monster with Dark Weapon/Magic Weapon (or the others, but they come later in game iirc).
Goddamn you're correct. I even bought the silly Dark Weapon spell earlier then promptly forgot about it.

The Moon Monster posted:

Even if you've got the Pursuer fight down to muscle memory the fight in that courtyard area near the blacksmith suuucks. There are just so many adds to take care of to fight him unmolested.
It's true. You're stuck with either two crossbow hollows, or one crossbow hollow and a dog. 4 of my Pursuer deaths were due to bolts in my back.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Dyz posted:

Does he appear up top if you enter that way? I remember fighting him above that courtyard but not in it.
If you enter Lost Bastille via Exile Holding Cells you can skip the courtyard encounter. The fight you remember is a different one, you get to that one via hidden door.

The fight is triggered by crossing a linedef if you come from McDuff Blacksmith side, or if you attack the boarded up doorway. So coming from Exile Holding Cells you most likely drop into courtyard via the crumbled wall, then open the boarded up doorway, step through it, and leave the courtyard. Pursuer shows up and leaves again right away since the player isn't in the courtyard anymore.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

There, got it, SL118 in the end. Still no clue where Benhart hosed off to.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

iirc Benhart's final appearance is in an out of the way section of a giant memory. And like Lucatiel, you probably need to have summoned him in boss fights without him dying too. It's stupidly obscure, in pure souls npc quest style.

quote:

Drangleic Castle. Sitting near Central Castle bonfire.
Forest of Fallen Giants. Sitting in front of fallen giant past the Pursuer's boss arena.
Memory of Orro. Sitting in front of player's spawn, next to the stairs.
Oh ok that's still ahead then; Black Gulch and Doors of Pharros are up next for me. With Lucatiel I'm good so far I think.

e: Royal Rat Authority can get hosed though.

giZm fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 30, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've never realized there was another way to play that fight than to kill the big 3 first then Benny Hill for a few minutes with the rest
First time I'm hearing about this as well, are we sure it's not made up? Somebody verify.

heard u like girls posted:

The miracle Soul Appease works really good to kill the rats at the start of that fight. You can buy it from stone trader Chloanne. Pull the rats with an arrow or some such and get ready to cast.
Enter boss room, cast Homing Soul Mass, get in range of plague rats, MLGS R2 rat1, MLGS R2 rat2, dodge left, HSM hits rat3, MLGS R1 rat4, tank the boss hit, chug Estus while the boss does his silly backwards shuffle.
After that it's just a matter of dodge left, dodge left, Dark Orb, Dark Orb. Repeat until boss is dead.
Took me ~20 deaths to figure out this setup, but it's consistent that way.

Guess who I found yesterday. How he got past the locked door to the King's Way I don't know, must be because of that famous family heirloom sword of his.

Any advise on order/level range of the DLC? Current plan is to finish base game up until Throne of Want, then do the DLC areas before final boss, but which order for the DLCs?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Release order was shulva, old iron keep, then eleum loyce.

Bushmaori posted:

Snow area last to mitigate running frustration, which is Frozen Eleum Loyce IIRC
Noted. Snow area key was the first I found, too. The Shulva key was hidden af, had to consult a wiki to get it, Heavy Iron Key is still missing. I know it's with the fire lizards in the forest, but no idea how to get there.

FishMcCool posted:

I really really dig the MLGS look in this game.
Bloodborne MLGS is still #1, but DS2's is pretty, no doubt.

Currently in Shrine of Amana, is there any secrets to the singing lady? Does she drop loot? Do I ignore her and move on?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

You have access
There's a key under the flamesprayer in the Keep's first room. You might have that. It's used in the corridor leading up to the Last Giant bossroom.

Or try jumping!

You can talk to her later after a plot event, but also while she's singing, the creatures in the water sleep
I did have access, hooray! Also that door is such a troll moment. Get Soldier's Key, and the first door you try it on is still locked.

Demon of Song down, any important items to pick up in Shrine of Amana or can I leave that rotten area?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Paracelsus posted:

Estus Flask Shard ✅
Fire Seed ✅
Sunlight Blade ✅
A door to come back to later ❓
Fire Tempest ❌
Red Iron Twinblade ✅
Homing Crystal Soulmass ✅
Manslayer (poison katana) ❌

Not an item, but if you're out of effigies and rescued all/didn't kill any Milfanito, there's a shrine towards the end you can pray at to restore your humanity.
Looking good, grabbed all the important things. Thanks!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Crazy Achmed posted:

I upgraded my manslayer and poison-infused it, it's situationally useful when there's some bastard who just needs to be poisoned to death.
:eng101: Dark Fog

Why it's going splendid, thank you for asking, how are you holding up?

Oh... well then. Good luck, I'll remember you forever, Lucille.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Speaking of ban worthy offenses: loving Benhart of Jugo's AI
Had to burn two Ascetics because I managed to not only miss his sign at Brightstone Cove Tseldora, but also at King's Way for Mirrorboss. In Brightstone Cove he fell off the cliff near the boulders/peasants not once but TWICE, then proceeded to get stuck on the spiders instead of joining the boss, although technically he survived I suppose. And for Mirrorboss he just stood there, probably gazing at his family heirloom's reflection, that oaf.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Lucatiel was remembered. In DS3 you can get her mask by trading with the crows.
The DS3 Hollowslayer is also modelled after Laramy's sword, with basically the same moveset.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Did I actually miss two bonfires in the castle or are these for later on?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Found them, thanks. Aldia's Keep is missing the 2nd bonfire as well, but I'm not going back there anyway. Next up: all the dragons!

FishMcCool posted:

This one had a special NPC nearby which gates a hidden boss.
I'm going to have to beat Darkstalker this run as well, goddamn. So many firsts.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Dear diary,

Today I visited the dragons!

Staff on site was very cordial, I left a 5 star review on Yelp.

Also Benhart finally gave up and handed me his stuff.

And some other dude I've never met before bequeathed me his helmet for some reason. Cool.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

rip

First of all, nobody likes dragons, so Sinh goes on the backburner for being stupid. The last Giant Soul for Vendrick is again a dragon, so how about those Smelter Wedges? I heard they were 1 short, could one Bonfire Ascetic to get more? Also any way of restocking the traders in Majula?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Ok so that's done (took 3 free hits with the MLGS at the start and 29 Dark Orbs), feels like a skipped a huge part of Brume Tower though, I never found more than the six wedges you get at the start. Thankfully I had four left when I got to Fume Knight. The fight itself wasn't as bad, just a lot of patience and single attacks followed by backwards-left strafing to bait out an attack.
The NPC summons were a mean joke, papier-mâché wizzard died in only a handful of hits, and caestus lady did single digit damage per hit, just cruel.

giZm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 9, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Fume Knight is a boss where imho, even if you're struggling, you're better off solo. The NPCs are really so-so and not worth the massive increase in HP the boss gets due to their mere presence.
Usually I summon any NPC that has a sign up for bosses because why not, but for Fume it was indeed easier without them. Seeing those 7-9 damage rolls from caestus lady was infuriating.

Hot take: DS2 has the best jumping out of all the Soulsbornes. It's an actual jump, you can get some sick air in Majula.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Grats on beating fume knight btw!
There was no achievement though, this victory feels incomplete.

My favorite part about the jumping is it makes the approach to the colosseum a breeze, you can just sprint past all the enemies, across the bridge, then jump to the ledge on the right at the end of the bridge and wait for everyone to walk away and or die. Optionally you can snipe the invader npc from there too
100% works every time pro strat right here.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Grabbed the Eye of the Priestess, so of course the first thing I did was go back to Shaded Woods for some good old fashioned ghost geno cleansi peace keeping mission. After enough peace was kept it was back to Frozen Eleum Loyce to put down an illegally imported exotic pet, which was a full success and I didn't even die once nope there were no cheap deaths due to impressively weird hit boxes and untelegraphed leaping attacks across the whole screen, none at all.

Wasn't the ice wind supposed to stop after Aava was killed? What am I missing?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Got it, thanks. The area really opened up now, lots of new stuff to find, I'm enjoying this DLC so far.

But what's with the fake white phantom with the greatlance? Troll character?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Well he can stay in the Lower Garrison and freeze to death for all I care, the Burnt Ivory King has been vanquished. Decided to skip Frigid Outskirts because there is nothing of value there.

To do: Sinh, Darkstalker, Ancient Dragon, Vendrick, final bosses.

e: running dangerously low on Effigies though, like single digits low. What's y'alls favorite farming spot for those?

giZm fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 12, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

The skeletons in Majula mansion drop effigies, but they respawn only with bonfire ascetics. The more ascetics you burn, the more effigy dropping skeletons appear, to a certain limit.

If you bear all the DLC main bosses (Sinh, Burnt Ivory King, Fume Knight) and then beat and visit Vendrick, you get an item that turns you permanently human.
Won't the Majula skellies get NG+ stats then? Feels like fighting a gaggle of NG+7 skeletons is going to sting.

The Blessing will be nice, but I'm afraid to get it I'm going to need double digit Effigies :v:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

"Don't worry about it"

"Just heal in the mansion"

Thanks though, they do drop them delicious Effigies :skeltal:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Literally me.

Sinh down, and it cemented my hatred for Darksouls dragons. Every fight is just a constant "here I am, teehee, catch me, now I'm over here, whoops too slow I'm on the other end of the arena again, teehee". So annoying.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Demon's Souls has a dragon that can be arrowed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

What elevator?