Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sup skeletons, I just started DS2 for the first time last night. Got as far as Majula cuz I just wanted to dip my toe and it was super late. First impressions so far:

• Intro was pretty cool
  • Movement feels both smoother and clumsier at the same time, somehow. I think it's the deadzone issue I've seen mentioned here and there.
  • Wow does the game completely kill its own momentum and mystique. Things Betwixt was kinda neat and atmospheric, then I got to this hut with a bunch of crones cackling at me which I don't mind, but I very much mind that they took forever to do what was basically a bookend to character creation. Stop fuckin cackling at the fact I'm gonna die a bunch and let me go die a bunch already
  • In fact, I've barely even started this game and it's extremely noticeably more cutscene-heavy than the first one. I'm not too thrilled about that, part of what I loved about DS1 was how much story it told with almost no cutscenes or freezing you in place to belch exposition. But from what I understand of the series, this is just part of it now, so I'll deal with it. It was just annoying to notice.
  • Majula is really cool. I dunno why I like it so much but the environment has so much character and a feel of ancient history to it that it's probably one of my favorite-looking/feeling locations in the games so far.
  • How have I gotten to two bonfires and haven't encountered a single challenge yet. I remember dying to one of the very first DS1 hollows the first time I played because I hadn't learned respect for the game yet and was moving through it like any other third person action RPG. I went from casually jogging to carefully creeping forward with my guard up always. DS2 has been the opposite--carefully creeping through the first few rooms, but now I'm just jogging around looking for the next objective.

All in all a weirdly mixed beginning but I'm super excited nonetheless. Can't wait to see what this game brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

I really liked your bossfight videos for DS1 and your impressions of the game, so I'm quite happy that you're continuing here with the sequel! Do you want to hear some common tips that the DS2 fans usually give new people, or are you more into having your experience be as blind as possible?

Thanks! Also for the info :) And I'm down for some common/general tips, but I do still want to experience any surprises the game has in store for me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

You just read the most common tip: don't neglect Adaptability. Getting your Agility to 96 is a huge boon to make rolls far better, something the game never explains.

A thing to try out once your stats get higher: Powerstancing! You need a weapon in both of your hands, and you need to have 1.5x the Strength and Dexterity needed for both of them (e.g. if one needs 10/10 and one needs 8/12, you need 15/18 before you can powerstance them). The weapons should be somewhat similar in size/model. Hold down the two-hand button. If it worked, your character will raise their hands a little. Press L1 and L2 for fun surprises.

:unsmigghh: I picked Swordsman as my starting class because dual-wielding sounded tempting as gently caress. I'm stoked that my decision has been validated so hard

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So yeah. I'm at Heide's Tower of Flame, been trying to get past the second enemy (with the gigantic metal club/mace thing for at least a dozen and a half attempts or so. It feels like I have to re-learn everything about movement and combat. Also, I'd seen people post about the "enemies on turntables" thing but now I see it for myself and it's kinda bullshit.

Ah well, just gotta git gud.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Those mace guys are serious loving assholes, don't feel bad for getting clowned on at first. It helps to internalize the turntable: roll just a bit later than you think you should, because then he's finally committed.
Thanks! I'll try this tactic out. And that first armored guy with the sword has been super easy, haven't died to him once, which makes his mace-wielding friend that much more aggravating

quote:

Which weapon are you using? Have you tried going another way than Heide?
1. Swordsman starting weapons
2. Heide is the only path out of Majula I've found so far. I actually wasn't sure if there WAS any other path out of there. Based on your question though I'm gonna creep around Majula some more and examine it more carefully.

I just finished all of Witcher 3 + DLCs, so I need to readjust my gameplay habits again lol. No Witcher vision to help me here!

Bogart posted:

Make sure you're using a blunt weapon like the club or mace. It'll do about twice as much damage.

do this for the whole game against armored fuckers
Thanks! I'll try this once I find a club or mace. Can I powerstance clubs/maces?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah, I saw the well with all the bloodstains around it from people jumping down, so I'm aware of two paths out of Majula. I watched like a half-dozen people fall to their death on the ledge you're clearly meant to land on, so I haven't even bothered trying to jump down the well yet

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ohhhh, once I opened my stupid eyes I found the path into the forest of giants. Yeah this is way more reasonable lol

Also, I'm already level 20, is that normal in this game cuz that seems high as gently caress

Simply Simon posted:

Ya starting with Heide is not quite the same as going to the skeleton party in DS1, but the other "first path" is simpler for sure.
:darksouls:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zedd posted:

You can, you can powerstance a lot of things in DS2. All those giant oversized 2h clubs and swords from 1? You can powerstance them, even bigger bossweapons? Can usually be powerstanced np. There is even a set of specific shields you can powerstance.

King of Solomon posted:

This screencap is from a random youtube video, but...

:aaa:

BattleTech posted:

I wanna shout this to you thunderbeast, DO NOT JOIN THE COMPANY OF CHAMPIONS. The game doesn't tell you what it does but it makes you take 33% MORE damage and you deal 20% LESS damage and YOU CAN NO LONGER SUMMON NPC'S.
Thanks for this! I found the covenant but it was suspiciously front-and-center and easy to join, plus I'd literally never heard anyone even mention that covenant before, so I didn't touch it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh that's pretty cool. Sounds like a good one for ng+ and on, once I know what I'm doing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm not too crazy about the roll attacks going in the direction of the roll and not where I'm pushing the stick. I'm still getting used to that. Also, power-stancing loving owns, I'm currently powerstancing two axes and I've got my eye on this halberd I just picked up. Soon as I find its twin and my STR is high enough, it's go time.

I only really notice the snappiness of the movement while I'm running around from one place to another with nothing else to focus on. In a fight I don't notice it at all, and that's 99% of what matters to me. The rest of the time it's a little annoying yeah

I fought the Last Giant last night! What an awesome boss design and intro. I summoned two NPCs to help because I could (I was surprised to realize I'd made it to the boss in human form), so killing him was trivially easy. I'm surprised it took me this long to get to a boss.

The level design so far is interesting. I kind of like how there's the one central bonfire in the area, and as I keep exploring multiple new shortcuts will open up for the same area. It feels less organic and more designed, but that's not a bad thing imo. I actually really appreciate how clever the design is.

The last thought I have for now is that being able to warp bonfires right away detracts quite a bit from what I felt was a core aspect of the Dark Souls experience. I know this is standard for the rest of the soulsbornes but I personally disagree with the decision. A huge part of the constant oppressive feeling of peril in the first one was the feeling of getting further and further from safety, like you were going on an expedition and didn't know when/if you would be back. I remember the first time I finally made it all the way through Undead Burg and Parish and found the shortcut without having any idea what it was or where it went. When I stepped out into Firelink Shrine and heard the familiar music, I felt a sense of relief, safety, and homecoming that no other game has managed to approach. I actually lingered in Firelink for a while because I was reluctant to trek back into the danger for who knows how long this time.

Meanwhile in DS2 my rhythm now is to wander about for a while, and once I've opened a new shortcut and/or have a decent bunch of souls to spend I'll run back to the bonfire, warp to Majula to level up or buy things, then warp back. My mindset is way more focused on "what should I do next in this game" and less "how do I survive and make it back to relative safety," and it's a subtle difference but an important one.

But I guess I'll have to learn to love it :haw:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This loving game

So after a number of tries, I finally get through a dark hallway of skeletons in Not-Undead-Burg (I started summoning Ruined Whatshisname because I was like "gently caress it, this makes it more reasonable). I died a few times outside the hallway, twice because I was paying attention to the skeleton archer across the gap and ran off the ledge, once because of the big armored shellback guy. Then on my last attempt last night, I get through the hall of skellies, across the little plank bridge (totally ignoring the skeleton archer this time), and through the building. I see the shellback from earlier who whomped me, but this time there's a little more room and no cliffs, and we take him out handily.

So I'm feeling relieved. I walk out the room, almost pass right by a hollow that I didn't notice right outside the door, kill him, and continue on. I take the left-hand path into a ruined section of building, where I see the archer who'd been annoying me earlier, right on the other side of a ruined wall. Revenge! I started sneaking towards him, panning the camera around to get a feel for my surroundings and planning my route to go stab the gently caress out of the archer. Before I can move though, I hear big heavy clomping footsteps. I'm like, "okay I'm gonna wait here until I identify that sound."

The clomping gets closer, and I can't see where the hell it's coming from, when suddenly one of those shellbacks turns the corner and starts attacking my buddy. I'm like "Oh, one of these guys. Meh, kinda cramped, but I can take him."

Then a second guy comes through. "Oh poo poo, two of them. That's fine, I can probably manage this. Two on two, fair fight."

Then a loving THIRD guy comes clomping up to join his friends. I panic and die within a second, meanwhile I'm laughing my loving rear end off IRL.

thank u dark souls

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I had a similar question, and basically everyone encouraged me to go for SOTFS. If you're like me and never played it before just go for SOTFS, you won't know the differences and it includes the DLC

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh hey, is anyone else playing on Xbox?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 28, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been having to run a circuit around the battlements killing 1500 souls worth of hollows to buy a human effigy each time I retry the skellington hall :mad:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

b_d posted:

I don’t think you need to be at 100% to summon?

I'm gonna be so mad if this is the case, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see Ruined Whatshisname's sign in the skellyhall after a single death.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Djeser posted:

You have to be 100% to summon, but you don't have to be 100% to get invaded any more. :darksouls:
lmao y'know I'm totally okay with that. Makes more sense and I'm not terrified of PvP anymore so bring it on :unsmigghh:

BattleTech posted:

I'll add you and send you message on xbox, my gt is Mechwarrior.

360 or XB1? I have SOTFS on XB1, but not 360.
Xbone! :D

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yo mothergently caress Armorer Dennis

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Now's a good time to read the spoiler from the last time I posted about your adventures :D
:darksouls: :arghfist::catstare:

man From really leaned into the whole "Dark souls is hard lol" thing in this one didn't they

Bogart posted:

I beat him for the first time in a while at the Soldier's Rest area the other day, but only with Ruined Alfis providing support. He's just got too good gear and spells for when you fight him.
I tried that! I even went and cleared the entire area first before running back to summon Alfis for the fight against Dennis. Had Alfis tank while I got in backstabs with a halberd (that only did like 1/4-1/3 of his health apiece), but as soon as Dennis turned his eye on me, it was over.

OutofSight posted:

Now it is a good time to become proficient, Thunderbeast. :colbert:
:arghfist::catstare:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pumped up is SO CLOSE to being that wrestling "hear the crowd" gesture that I really wish it was that instead

literally unplayable

e: found the T-800Pursuer!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Beat the Pursuer finally. Something clicked and then it was super easy, I just had to be on point with my rolls and I was good.

Then I found out you can fire the ballistae

lmao this fukken game

edit: dammit I only wanted to examine the nest, what the gently caress BIRD

did I miss anything in the area after the Pursuer?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 28, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Not sure if I know about it, but I'll come back and look this up later once I've either found it or probably passed it

I'm doing the thing too! :haw:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The Last Giant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBk55Zwbr30
I definitely didn't need to summon for this one, but I couldn't resist. Jolly co-op felt so right to kick this game off with.

The Pursuer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQIZiu2Czg0
He reminded me of something/someone, can you guess what it was

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's a second Pursuer?! :mad:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hahahahahaha gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DrNutt posted:

Does anyone else play this on the Xbone? Servers were down this am and apparently are still down. Can't find any info on Namco/Bandai support page. There's a server status page with zero info. I started a playthrough on PC and it appears those servers are doing fine.

Just trying to figure out if it might be a network issue on my end or if it's actually the servers. It was working fine earlier this week though.

Down since last night, yup

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 28, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfYhjjpC07o

My wife: why do people who play dark souls hate themselves so much?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Man if it wasn't for the small white soapstone I'd have bounced off this game by now, at least for a while. The Ruin Sentinels aren't that bad, but combined with the way death and humanity works in this game, as well as the fact that enemies die off for good after a while, just ugh.

Also I was super pissed the other day because I finally had my first invasion but my circuit breaker chose that exact moment to trip :mad:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Amppelix posted:

Wait, where's the bad part for enemies dying permanently

It just shortens your boss run and if you really need to farm you can bring them back
How do I bring them back? Cuz yeah it's about the farming. In DS1 if I hit a wall I could at least run around and farm up some souls to level up a bit and try again. At the very least it'd offer me something else to do. But now if those enemies are gone, they're gone. And I bought up all the old lady's effigies and by now I've used every single one I've found, so I was seriously about to quit DS2 because gently caress trying that boss fight with half health anymore and no feasible way of getting more souls besides going through another area entirely. And the poo poo thing is, I've got the Ruin Sentinels' number, I know their patterns and poo poo, I just can't take more than one hit without dying.

I finally tried using the small white soapstone in the Cardinal Tower to at least break the monotony of that bullshit, and discovered that fulfilling my duty restores my humanity. That did a LOT to bring me back from the brink of quitting, because the convergence of the death/humanity/enemy respawning mechanics were making the game extremely not fun.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Anyway Ruin Sentinels are a great boss and I really enjoyed beating the poo poo out of them in one try when I went back to Scholar after having played DS1-3 and Bloodborne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8UmPXtCGs
drat, good job!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

How much HP do you have at full health? How many levels in Vit do you have?

I don't remember my max HP, but I picked swordsman and my VIT is 5

e: wearing leather armor, dual wielding +1 mail breaker and +1 rapier

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

What's your vigor? That's the stat that's actually tied to HP in DS2.

k then that's the one that's 5

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

what the hell are you doing with your life (literally)

I think for once I'll agree that farming might be the answer
in most games I have a habit of neglecting upgrading HP until absolutely positively necessary. In DS1 I got away with not upgrading HP until the last couple lord souls/DLC area. Looks like I can't do that in this one haha

CYBEReris posted:

swordsman starter is pretty rough unless you're somewhat experienced, you're expected to dodge pretty much everything
That's the plan :unsmigghh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks! I figured something had to be off about my build. Now that it's confirmed I'll do those things you recommended.

edit: this is probably gonna make for a drastic change in my Ruin Sentinels video lol. At least I hope it does.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Good to know! I pumped my ADP to 96 lol
edit: this is wrong, I pumped my ADP until my AGI was 96, holy crap lol

Basically I put all my points into STR, DEX, or ADP. Other than that, 5 points into END so far.

And thanks for the tips SS, that's basically the mindset I've been playing with. Time to change that lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 18, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Djeser posted:

Also, you mentioned dual-wielding rapiers, you are powerstancing, right? (I mean, I figure you probably are, but it's something even I'd forget sometimes when I was doing my powerstance build.)
oh most definitely! Powerstancing is hands down my favorite new mechanic.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

As a general rule in souls games, the most important thing you can do to make yourself stronger is upgrading your weapon. Always use the most fully upgraded weapon you can. Upgrade materials are never rare enough that you can’t switch to something else later if you find it and the returns on damage from upgrading your weapon are much larger than from investing in damage stats. It’s typically safe to leave those low until you have good hp, stamina and agility.

What are your damage stats, by the way? Is there a specific weapon you’re going for? You mentioned two rapiers, but also leveling strength. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with that, but the rapier is one of the most powerful weapons in the game and gains nothing from strength.

How’s your stamina? That’s about as important as health, maybe more so if you’re dual wielding. Edit: never mind, I saw you put 5 in there. This should be your next priority after getting more HP.

Regarding equip load, there’s a slightly spoilery reason it’s much better to stay low on certain characters (like rapier users). If you’re not using a really heavy weapon or shield, or haven’t already decided you want the heaviest possible armor, don’t go 10-14 in vitality. Of course, you can always just respec when you reach the spoilery reason.
No specific weapon I'm going for or have in mind because I don't know what there is. The idea of dual-wielding halberds makes me hard, but if that's best left for NG+ lemme know lol. I'm down to dual-wield rapiers the whole way but I want to try dual-wielding as many things as I can. Part of why I'm leveling STR is to try powerstancing these maces/morningstars I picked up.

And I'll try to stay low on equip load but I like fastrolling in the Favored set in DS1 (pumped END + FAP ring + HAvel ring) and I'd love to do something similar, eventually, in DS2. Though pumping END VIT sounds like it should be an afterthought after I finish building the fundamentals on my character.

Update: I spent a couple hours farming the starting area of Heide's, found the Ring of Binding, white phantomed for Pursuer a couple times (learned that I can get hit by the ballistae, what a ripoff, thank u dark souls). Feeling better about my build. My rapier is +3 now too.

Here's my character sheet so far:

Rings are Binding, Blades, Covetous Silver, Restoration. Leather chest/boots, Royal Swordsman gloves, Heide Knight Greathelm.

edit: should I swap out my Mail Breaker for another Rapier?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bogart posted:

Restoration Ring is too slow to do anything in this game. Swap a rapier in unless you're really committed to the mail breaker, it's got longer range. Don't dual-wield halberds; it's definitely a late NG or NG+ thing.
Thanks! And yeah Restoration ring is extremely limited in use but I don't have anything better to replace it with yet, just the covenant of blue ring or whatever it's called.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The mailbreaker is really low on damage, so probably. If you want a more versatile moveset, try putting a scimitar, falchion or short sword in your off hand. I find that goes really well with a rapier, since it gives you horizontal slashes with both weapons.

Also, you might already be aware, the roll mechanics are different in this one. Equip load doesn't influence iframes on your roll, only roll distance. Lighter equip load also gives you faster stamina regeneration. If you use light weapons, you can typically wear medium armor without much investment in vitality. Vitality investment is really more important if you want a heavy weapon and thick armor.
:aaa: I thought the weapons had to be the same type or at least have matching damage types, but your post prompted me to look up powerstancing in the wiki and I found a whole matrix of weapon combos that work! This opens up a whole new world to experiment with, thanks :) And thanks for the equip load tips, I didn't realize the differences. so far the only difference I've noticed is that either I got way better at timing my rolls since DS1, or DS2 has more iframes, or maybe moves are easier to read in DS2, because I'm successfully dodging attacks WAY more often than I ever did in the first one.

Paracelsus posted:

If you are going to stick with a rapier, you'll want to beat the secondary boss of Heide's.

How many estus flask shards have you found?
Think I'll try the rapier/falchion combo out soon as I can level my stats to do so. And I've found 2 shards so far.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck finally beat the Ruin Sentinels. I almost hosed it up too, I thought I made the killing blow on the last one but he had a tiny sliver of health, and I'd spent the last of my stam to finish him off (so I thought), so I was mashing L1 like crazy as I watched him wind up an attack while going "nonononononoNONONONO" irl. Luckily I managed to attack before he started his attack.

gently caress yeah I'm ready for the rest, bring it on

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Andrigaar posted:

I've beaten the game several times now. That's still how every NG fight against Ruin Sentinels goes.

good to know I'm having the intended :darksouls: experience

I just had the best co-op ever. Some dude named Ivan Alas was sprinting me through the Lost Bastille, pointing out every item and showing me ways to get to secret ledges and stuff, and pointing out where I could use a pharros lockstone (didn't have any) and a fragrant branch of yore (super mad I didn't have any cuz I saw the bonfire)

He got me to a new area called Sinner's something, and then I followed him into some church/bell tower thing at full speed and fell to my death

:negative:

e: oh my god it was literally right before the bonfire

He def showed me the right way to get through that part of Lost Bastille. Can't hesitate, gotta be quick and engage. I bet if it wasn't for Ivan I'd have died a bunch, as it is I got all the way back through without even needing to pop an estus. Thanks Ivan :unsmith:

e2: lmao are they serious with this fuckin crossbow guy practically on top of the bonfire

e3: so I decided to heide's tower and check around there. In the distance I saw this big red knight with a huge halberd, and he looked like bad news so I figured I'd snipe him. Didn't see a health bar but he was probably just too far away right?

I give up sniping after a while cuz I get bored and he's not dead and I figure I'm probably only doing scratch damage, might as well get in his face. Turns out i sniped the Dragonrider boss down to where I only had to hit him a couple times

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 21, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
After staring at the plain-jane leather armor for so long I'm finding myself greedy for better fashion, but so far I've mostly found heavy armors and another Wanderer's set. Are there any good guides out there for the fashion in this game? I want to plan my wardrobe.

If it makes a difference, progress-wise I've made it to the bonfire just before No Man's Wharf by way of Heide's Tower. I'm planning on exploring the rest of the Heide's area (there's this Heide Knight wielding a loving spear that I haven't managed to kill yet, his reach and patterns are just... :argh: what an absolute fucker)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Walrus Pete posted:

Spend souls at the armor merchant in Majula (I forget his name) and he'll get additional inventory once you've spent enough. He eventually sells some pretty okay stuff!
Oh sweet, thanks! I avoided buying anything from him because all he seemed to carry was other classes' starting armors. Kinda neat that there's a basic investment mechanic (totally unspoken/undocumented, I should expect that more than I do).

Simply Simon posted:

Wear whatever looks good, my dude
I already do/that's the plan :) Right now my fashion is out of necessity/lack of options. I just wanna start lookin fly ASAP and I'm bored to tears of my leather armor.

And thanks for the tip on the spear knight! I'll grab my shield out of storage and give that strat a shot. I'm so loving sick of that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Amppelix posted:

How does anyone like the dumb helmet on that set

I dunno, I like how dumb it looks haha

Simply Simon posted:

2) Then switch it out :confused:? DS2 has a plethora of medium-heavy armors, you should be able to wear most of them if you don't go super heavy with the weapon (remember: 69.9%!). I think someone was mentioning to not stat Vitality until you're suuuper sure that you don't want to use one specific DLC ring or something but that's nonsense imho, just put some points into there for fashion. Levels are dirt cheap after all.

3) You can do that without a shield as well but if you haven't gotten a full grasp of his moves yet then I seriously don't recommend it. Heide Knights (also the sword guys) are super cunts anyway and there's no shame in having issues.

2 - The only armor I have that's lighter than the leather are the wanderer's set, foreigner's robes, and ... and that's it actually. That's why I was asking about fashion, so I can plan a wardrobe, but it's not really that important. I'm sure I'll find more clothes soon enough (esp after investing in some merchants)

3 - I'm actually good with the sword guys. I'm good with every enemy in that area except that one spear dude :mad: everyone else I can dance with no problem and they'll get maybe one or two hits on me max. I think it's because there's only one of those spear guys and his attack patterns are kinda weird and wonky compared to his brethren.