Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Also treasure chests have traps now; and the traps seem to change randomly! Keepin you on your toes!

DS3 will be a procedurally generated roguelike. Sometimes the first boss is the Asylum Demon, sometimes it's Bed of Chaos. The real RNG starts here :darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lalus posted:

I almost feel sorry for the guys who are still running with santier's/avelyn/monastery scimitar like they didn't figure out they were nerfed but gently caress if I'm telling them.

I ran into what I guess is the NEW META tonight. Full Havels/Grym Helm/Gowers Ring/ or that turtle armor for original fashion with a helix halberd and mastadon halberd in powerstance (I think). They use a shitload of buffs before doing anything then just poke, poke, the same move over and over. One poke does 20-30% damage. I got one down to about 30% health and he just turned his back and chugged his estus/repair powder then went back to poking. What am I missing about how to kill these guys?

Powerstance maces? Seems like that would be the most effective against massive armor. Maybe try poison? Or acid flasks! Break all his poo poo :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

f#a# posted:

Still holding out hope that this piece of concept art is reflected in the DLC. Sunken King seems to be a good fit for it:

Poor building-size spider bosses, they always get cut :(

Shadow of the Colossus concept:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HatJudge posted:

When I first started playing Dark Souls I did it with a spear and a greatsheld. As confidence grew I settled on a kite shield and a Claymore, and this was the set-up I used to finish DS2 as well. I summon a lot, not just for the joy of co-op, but also because I really, really need every bit of help I can get to beat the bosses. I'm so bad at PvP I might as well be a Titanite Chunk dispenser.

Or so it seems

Today I beat the Ruin Sentinels. Alone. Without a shield.

I just had to tell someone, cause I feel really, really good about it.

For me that's the '2nd Gargoyle Joins In' moment of DkS2, where poo poo officially gets real. All the other bosses I'd faced up to that point were variations on Huge Dude, Dodge His poo poo. One of the better fights in the game I think.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Rusted Red Scimitar + a regular Scimitar, you can swing lots without expending too much endurance and the R2 is a neat midair windmill thing that can hit 2 or 3 times. I also poisoned up a pair of Falchions and used them to quickly apply poison, then switch back to the Scimitars for better damage.

teh_Broseph posted:

Another thing to note on the DS1 port is I personally recommend NOT setting it up to run at 60 fps. Physics are tied to it and there's a crucial jump that's extremely hard to land at 60 fps and a certain ladder that'll shoot you through the floor if you slide down it. Sometimes you have to go back and forth a bit to go up stairs and jumping overall feels a little heavier. Not a huge deal all around if you toggle it back to 30 fps at the crucial parts; IMO it was a better experience to just leave it at 30.

I always heard the best thing to do was to turn on frame unlocking, then 'unlock' it to 30.

I've never understood the bad rap the DS1 port got, I think it's perfectly fine. It always ran well for me, has hardly crashed in 3 years, came with the DLC for free and looks/runs slightly better than the console version right out of the box. There's really only 2 things you need to know:
1) It's a PS3 port so you should play it with... a PS3 (or similar) controller. It's possible to play KB+M but you're gonna have a bad time.
2) If you want to tweak the graphics beyond what is possible on the PS3, spend about 10 minutes reading through the config file for DSFix (which just put out an update for the Steamworks conversion so it should work again).
That's it! Enjoy one of the best games of the last 10 years I might be biased...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of framerate, I wonder is the durability issue will still be in Scholar of the First Sin?

I really hope not, I've been pretty disappointed with FROM's maintenance of the PC release, especially since talking it up so much pre-release. I think DS2 has a worse PC release than the first game. Didn't one of the thread regulars make up a Cheat Engine script that fixed that bug in like 20 lines of code? It just seems like a fairly major oversight that is also relatively easy to correct, the fact that they still haven't done so in the current release is frustrating :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dollas posted:

Lightning heide knight sword good for pve yes/no? Any alternative suggestions?

I thought it did good damage for at least the first half of the game, and the moveset is pretty sweet too. I kept it around through the endgame as an offhand weapon to pair with another elemental sword (I think I made a dark-element sword and tried to do some corny Lightning and Thunder thing :downs: ).