Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It has less (zero) to do with playerbase and more the matching being fundamentally broken in the first game. There are a lot of people around you in the PC version that you just don't really get to ever see or interact with.

Everything hinges on that one thing for this game as well. The real test is if two weeks after launch it still take more than 2 attempts to summon the same person. Then we'll know if they actually hosed it up or not.

Actually sheer volume of ghosts and messages in the tutorial area and majula will let us know if the connectivity works or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
FROM is a very Japanese company, and Japanese studios don't really make PC games. The fact that they did their own port of the first game speaks volumes to their dedication to learn.

I'm pretty optimistic.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Steam is also still reporting an unlock at 3pm tomorrow afternoon, so we might be able to play the rest of the day in offline mode? Actually this sort of looks like they're basically doing our VPN work for us in a way.

That news bit about the servers must have been put through 5 different loving languages in babelfish.

Gazaar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 23, 2014

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

tractor fanatic posted:

As terrible as GFWL was, at least you could send and receive messages to and from random people on it :(

Souls games shouldn't even show you names quite frankly, it should be as uncomfortable and anonymous as possible.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I cut a hot clip of what was probably my most magnificent death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq4X6ER8beA

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The thing about Nashandra is she is pretty explicitly a piece of manus that grew back after the original chosen undead killed him. All of the weapons you make with her soul say this. She showed up out of nowhere and became the queen of drangleic because of an insatiable need for power, the thing she sent Vendrick across the sea for was the lordvessel. I think the throne of want was a peering chamber Vendrick originally used to peer into the essence of the soul aka the 4 lord souls of incredible power that were left in it. The evidence to back that up is the 4 big souls in this game become the 4 souls from the first game in NG+. Nothing else from a lore standpoint makes much sense as far as those go. He may have transferred the majority of the power into the throne of want as his peering chamber, handed the 4 lord souls out to who eventually become the old 4, and discarded the now dead lordvessel. The broken shards of the lordvessel may or may not be laying around in the basement of the mansion, or something that just happens to look like a giant golden broken bowl with fancy carvings in the side. Nashandra wanted an undead to come by and fight their way to the throne so she could just slide in and use it, whether or not it still DOES anything I'm skeptical.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
You can just spawncamp the individual skeletons as they form. You only really have to deal with like 2 loose bonewheels, and you should kill the bonewheel lord last!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The acolytes in aldias drop petrified bones pretty frequently with a gold serpent +1 and merchant hat setup. They don't even give that many souls so farming for them isn't really going to hurt your ~*SM*~

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Good Citizen posted:

Some of the shortcuts in this game don't make much sense. Like, why does that tree at the second bonfire in huntsman's even exist? Has anyone ever used that shortcut for anything?

It seems like they were cool level design shortcuts before they went with the "gently caress it put a bonfire every 30 feet" philosophy.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

McKilligan posted:

Got a few more questions here -
So, is there EVER a point to imbuing a weapon? Even when I'm fighting enemies that have a vulnerability, seems like a regular weapon that scales well drastically outdamages any kind of imbued weapon. I read that if you enchant a weapon that's already imbued, you get a higher bonus, so using magic weapon on a, uh, magic weapon would do 30% more magic damage than if it were cast on a standard weapon, is that right? Even with that, a +10 standard weapon with scaling seems much better...

Another one, Is there ever really a point to dual-wielding? I've toyed around with it a little bit, and have run into a few pvpers who dual wield, but never really saw the point myself. Do the movesets flow into one another better with certain weapons? Something about power wielding? Why is this kind of thing never explained in-game.

I like all the smug shitbirds replying to you without actually helping you. http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/dual-wielding read this, but basically you need 1.5x the str and dex of the requirements of the weapons you're trying to dual wield to enter power stance by holding Y/Triangle.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Great post/name combo.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Thumbtacks posted:

That's not correct, you can use blue orbs regardless of your covenant.

Nope, sorry.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Nuebot posted:

Well gently caress, I forgot how god awful the blue covenent was. At about 30 million SM it takes me ten minutes to find a sinner still. Inevitably every dude I invade will either be hacking or have three phantoms. Sometimes both because I find myself frequently getting insta-gibbed by phantoms.

Maybe your first problem is being in one of the highest brackets there is? I forget the tiers but I seriously doubt many people are traipsing around at that SM.

I've only recently started to get more consistent sentinel invasions at 5m SM as more people poke into NG+.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Bobnumerotres posted:

Finally got the poo poo I needed to powerstance two velstaldt bells. Now I have too much SM for PvP. SM is the worst thing ever.

What is your SM?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Funny, probably half of my sentinel duels in the first arena end with my opponent just rolling off into the deathpit. We're a depressed people.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Blue Sentinels actually do own. I posted this a couple thousand pages back with how fast this thread moves, but at 5m SM I get consistent invasions with blue orbs.

I've never had the ring work once, cool mechanic but not the one I care about when I have orbs as well.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Heliosicle posted:

Also it kind of looks to me like the Aurous armour takes inspiration from Yurt's Gloom armour, they aren't entirely the same but do have a lot of similarities.

Kinda not really??

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the best way to farm souls in the early game? I wanna get enough levels for another attunement slot, at least 20 dex/str for drangelic sword and shield, enough equipload to wear drangelic set without fat roll. What I'm saying is I need a bunch of souls. I have access to the first bonfire of no mans, huntsmans, and lost bastille as well as all of forest and heide.

I noticed that co oping for bosses does not give a lot of souls. At least for dragonrider and pursuer.

Use ascetics at heides and kill the dragonrider a few times at NG+ and NG++. If you aren't terrible this shouldn't be super hard, he's the ultimate chump. But probably just continue on your way down one of the branches you have open.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

y_3 posted:

I got tired of spamming emit force in bellbro pvp so I decided to upgrade a broadsword to +10 (love the moveset) and infused it with dark. Suddenly I'm 2-3 shotting people and I'm wondering if it's the +10 upgrade, the infusion, or both. Or if it's just that and people not adding points to vigor.

I have 15 str, and I think 28 int/fth. Sometimes I'll have a chance to use Dark Weapon which is huge but I don't need it. Is the infusion scaling that well with my int and faith or would I be doing similar damage without the infusion? I'd test it without the infusion but that was my only darknight stone. Only 800k SM if that's a big deal.

If you use Y/Triangle to button through the stat screens before you try to infuse something you can see your attack rating adjust on the fly as you highlight the infusions. You can see what your old AR was if you do that and try to remove the infusion.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Same.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Cardboard Box posted:

I thought I was safe, so I left the game running while I went away from the computer for a few minutes

apparently I wasn't safe, so I died. the last bonfire I used was the one at Sinner's Rise. so I was repeatedly dying to the archers there who knows how many times for about ten minutes.

well, there goes the 100k souls I was carrying. :suicide:

Gotta keep them bones on you for emergencies man.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Azzents posted:

For what it's worth, Avelyn (the autocrossbow) users are like anti-fun police. Especially people who dual-wield them.

Avelyn is also really easy to dodge.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Internet Kraken posted:

Hardly. While its not impossible to dodge, its harder to avoid than most attacks because its 4 rapid fire shots that hit in succession. You have to time your dodge so that the i frames last through all 4. Also if there's any lag you're probably going to get hit.

Really though my problem with Avelyn is its so easy to incorporate into a build. Basically anyone can use Avelyn. Furthermore using it carries no risk since it fires so fast from long range. As far as I know you can't really punish someone for using Avelyn unless they're doing that ridiculous dual build, because for them reloading is actually an issue. As a result tons of people use it. It gets old really fast.

You don't even know how many shots it fires.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Genocyber posted:

No it's very easy to dodge Avelyn. Roll diagonally forward and you'll dodge all three bolts if you time it right. Of course, the opponent can delay the volley and hit you as you're coming out of a roll, but that actually requires forethought on their part, and you can avoid that by predicting and rolling another time, so nbd. And you can very easily hit someone after they fire an Avelyn voller; there's a good two seconds or so while they're reloading, giving you plenty of time to hit them once, and thus stunlock them for a bit.

This is pretty much what I wanted to reply with before. Hot angles and last second rolls do a lot to counter things like santiers and avelyn.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

turtlecrunch posted:

OtherDSWaifu, you had best stop invading the Abyss with your crappy little katana you're making me use up all my magic herbs.

I do admit I had a :eek: moment the first time you showed up but I was then underwhelmed by the results. Thanks for the 2 ascetics I guess.

Invading in the abyss is just as dangerous as being the invadee! All NPCs attack host and phantom alike, it makes for interesting invasions.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
One of my videos happens to have an avelyn using host! It works out really well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgQ3YQnuoQ

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I got summoned to the mirror knight a few days ago by using a red orb at the first drangleic bonfire. Seemed like the luckiest timing imaginable.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Volt Catfish posted:

There isn't a foggy misty spell that causes equipment breakage, is there? Missed opportunity, FROM!

People are posting about it quite a bit on this very loving page.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Inspector_666 posted:

Can somebody explain the difference between the Way of the Blue and Blue Sentinels? I have read both descriptions on a DS2 wiki but I can't figure out how they're different aside from actually being two separate covenants.

Sentinels wear a ring to intervene when a way of blue gets invaded.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Schwack posted:

Oh drat, I just glanced at it the other day and assumed it was Strength. Guess I'll use the greatsword then.

Mastadon halberd is a very powerful strength weapon.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Red Crown posted:

I suppose I should add a Power Fist to my Spess Marine arsenal. What's a good, gigantic, intimidating looking fist weapon?

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/malformed-claws It's a giant gross black crab claw.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I've only ever beaten her with melee. Welp, that's my story hope you liked it!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Powerful souls change you over time, he's lucky he wasn't warped horribly after he went hollow.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Hikaki posted:

I've seen this argument used before and I think it's more of a gameplay thing than a lore thing. How do you explain all the other armor that you can wear that is originally huge like Smough's or the Looking Glass Knight's?

People trying to use that stuff as any kind of lore anchor are basically just grasping. Some people need to be reminded that it's still a video game and it's cool in a video game to get cool armor off guys you beat.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
All magic including the mighty sunlight spear is kind of nullified by rolling sideways or a 80 degree angle toward the caster. Bows are a much more reliable ranged pvp weapon because you can specifically time and choose to let off the trigger to shoot the arrow JUST as an enemy is at the end of a roll.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Whix posted:

Is there any use for Token Of Spite besides needing one to join the bloodbros and for dueling?

The description has the answer you seek. It makes you more likely to be invaded.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It'd be a kinda nice thing to do if they gave everybody a free soul vessel each time they did a major balance patch. I just think that'd be a nice thing.

There's something like 6 per playthrough, go start NG+ and pick some up.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Feels good playing the version of the game where you have almost 0 issues with lag...HEHHH.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

argondamn posted:

I'm really loving sick of red invasions every 10 minutes.

Burn an effigy in the fire and/or join way of blue and cross your fingers, if you're low SM you might get lucky and get help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

EvilCornbread posted:

Should you be able to run past all the guards on the way to Velstadt? I swear I've done it before but now I'm getting wrecked/staggered when trying to go through the fog door.

After the first couple runs through that hall it's the only way I do it. You just gotta try to herd them a little bit or get good timing on the attacks of the two dudes by the gate. Run up along the right wall then cut in when you're next to the stairs.