Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Can't loving wait for this, gonna own real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Was there a big-rear end patch released? Steam is downloading over 8 gigs now.

And without reading any of this thread for fear of spoilers I loving love this game. Sure it looks like hot loving garbage every so often and the new block/dodge mechanics are a bit hard to get used to but I love the game world, the scope of everything, the new leveling system, and the fact that it actually encourages you to experiment with weapon upgrades and try different things instead of being afraid to burn any mats at all until you looked up in a guide what the best weapon was. It's not a perfect game by any means but the old crafting system was one of the things I disliked the most about Demon's and Dark 1 so I'm glad they've remedied it.

Now back to playing. :tipshat:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Having a loving blast crushing fools with my +10 Zwei for the glory of the Rat King.

This is seriously the best.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I managed to get up to Drangleic Castle last night and holy gently caress is that a rad approach. The weird outlines and giant staircase are Castlevania as gently caress and it really sets a cool mood.

...then you get inside and it looks like they completely ran out of time to decorate, texture, or light it at all. So goddamn weird.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DreamShipWrecked posted:

From what I have played so far it seems like they have gone for a more mundane approach to the bosses. Nothing as cool as the boss of Depths or anything like that.

I think the enemies themselves are just more mundane overall. There just seems to be a hell of a lot more "footsoldier" or "big footsoldier" enemies in Dark Souls 2 as opposed to some of the weirder things from Demon's or Dark Souls 1. Kinda bummed about that.

e: The Black Gulch is probably one of my favorite DS2 areas so far just because everything in it was weird. sadly it was really short and one of the enemy types doesn't even attack you directly or acknowledge you at all which is strange

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I killed a Crystal Lizard on a wooden bridge and it didn't drop anything what the hell. :mad:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I looked all over and nada and I guess because I killed it instead of it just committing suicide it won't respawn again.

Speaking of lizards, what's up with the red one in the sand pit? Just a trap?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I haven't really been looking up best weapons and such but this +10 Lightening Mastodon Greatsword seems pretty baller. I like my +10 Zweihander but sometimes you just need something you can swing a hell of a lot faster.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah the names definitely add a little something.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I had a naked guy sprint past me down in the Rat King's lair and I felt really dumb about it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Dress Up Souls time eh?

That thing behind me sure looks familiar. I'm sure there's more like it but that's pretty drat similar to the Grand Archway of the Grand Masonic Lodge of Pennsylvania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Lodge_of_Pennsylvania

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh my God the Song Demon might be one of the favorite Souls bosses yet. The entire Shrine area was great.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Goddamn was the Mirror Knight fight cool. That's how you mix up the standard "big humanoid boss" encounter.

And I think I killed my first friendly NPC when I lead my torch zombie bro through the Undead Crypt. It's not my fault that he has a torch don't get so bent out of shape you dick. :mad:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're right, censoring CUNTMASTER69ZORCH is absolutely what is killing Dark Souls.

Thankfully PizzaLawyer420 is still valid.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Internet Kraken posted:

The "trick" it pulls when it gets to low health is a real dick move though.

What does he do? It took me three tries but I kinda beat the hell out of him once I realized his patterns.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh my God those fire lizards in the Forest of the Giants do not gently caress around. I think I'm near the end of the game and I can barely scratch them and they completely kick my rear end.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy loving hell was the traitor Licia of Lindeldt fight tedious. That was a legit boss fight if you couldn't get her pinned as for some reason it's really tough to break her spell animations.

Jay Rust posted:

Is it just me, or do the bigger weapons that slam the ground miss the target very often when you switch on auto-aim? I'm trying out the Large Club because it seems fast and powerful, but more often than not my guy will hit to the enemy's left or right, even when they're stationary.

I think it's a per-weapon thing. I have no problem with the Zweihander but I can't his a drat thing with the Gyrm Axe. No idea.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think my map guy broke. I'm almost done with the game and all he did was give me the key and still says he'll eventually meet me back at the mansion. :saddowns:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

HellCopter posted:

That's all he does, though? Go, meet him at the mansion.

Like I said he's never actually ever gone back to the mansion. He's just permanently stuck in that cave repeating the same dialog the entire game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
HOLY loving poo poo I'm a moron. I just reached what I thought was almost the end of the game when I realized I had missed the entire section in Forest of the Giants with The Last Giant and The Pursuer and of course the third King's Gate and now the map guy works properly along with that merchant woman moving. BOY do things make a lot more sense now! :v:

FuriousGeorge posted:

Nice job, skeleton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14r7y6rM6zA&t=30s

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Huntsman Copse was a neat area because the world needs more Castlevania looking things.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

You're gonna love Drangleic Castle

I wish it was longer, that area rules.

I thought Drangleic Castle was okay with a few neat areas but yeah it was too short for such a massive place and it looks like loving garbage inside.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DrNutt posted:

Hilarious that after that bullshit section, the Rotten turns out to be the weakest boss of the loving game. Seriously, that was even easier than the phalanx slime from Demon's Souls. And it turned out to be the fourth greater soul!? :psyduck:

I dunno he kinda kicked my rear end for a good bit. He moves surprisingly fast and has decent range so I kept getting caught off guard. Not to mention falling into the fire a few times like a dumbass.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Use ascetics on the first Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire, grab 5 effigies every time. (Also, kill the Heide knight for his sweet gear.)

I used the Heide Knight Mask for the majority of the game and don't regret it at all. It's a sweet helm.

e: the plume from the top casting individual shadows when in the range of dynamic light sources looks loving awful though. It's silly as hell and not even close to how light and shadows work

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

NuckmasterJ posted:

For some odd reason none of my NPC's are coming back to Majula. The crazy woman from the Forest of Giants has not come, nor the map guy and I cleared every square inch of that place. Did I miss something?

Did you go past the armored turtle knight in Forest of Giants and kill any of the bosses past there? This is what prevented those two returning to town for me and I didn't realize this until I was like 30+ hours in to my playthrough.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I have a +10 Lightening Mastodon Greatsword and I loving love it. poo poo wrecks house.

Caik posted:

The way to Undead Purgatory is probably the hardest part in the game.

I'm on NG++ and all of these stupid phantoms attack me at the same time. Even sniping them doesn't work.

Yeah those guys are a real bitch. They're fast and do a ton of goddamn damage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Speaking of tails, are there any tail chop items in this game? I've been going after every tail I can and so far nothing. I know you get something from The Rotten's arms but that's all I've seen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Marginally. I've been stump slammed. :mad:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My goodness (end of game) that was a real letdown of an ending. The game felt like it was really building to something with killing the four Old Ones and then it just kinda kept going for a while having you do...stuff until welp I guess this is the end boss.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I got killed by an invader dual wielding whips last night and I couldn't help but laugh at how loving silly it looked.

Also those fire salamanders are secretly the hardest enemies in the game if you can't cheese them from afar with poison arrows. Going melee against them is a nightmare.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I want to do my NG+ run as a caster and make up a rule not to use any of the weapons or armor that I used in my mostly sword & board NG run. It looks like they've added a fuckton of new spells so I'm excited to try them out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

LmaoTheKid posted:

Has this been posted yet because it makes me very happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD448x8iitk

This is incredible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Graviija posted:

Wow, those hammer-wielding knights in the Dragon Shrine sure are a lot of fun to fight as melee. Really, just a ton of fun. It's difficult to calculate the amount of fun I have had fighting these enemies. Fun for miles. Fun fun fun.

Yeah I had a lot of fun fighting them too so much fun I had to go for a jog repeatedly.

e: new favorite enemy though the dual shield wielding wall knights

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lori posted:

Someone tried to tell me that Dark Souls 2 is much harder than the original and that he was glad the series was getting back to it's roots instead of "appealing to casuals like Dark Souls 1"

:psyduck:

Sounds like you got trolled pretty hard.

In other news FUUUUUUCK THOSE DARK CHASMS HOLY poo poo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy hell NG+ does not gently caress around.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm at a soul level of 4 million and getting no summons whatsoever. Soul memory system is dumb as gently caress. "Want to be a completionist? Sure! You'll be exiled from pvp"

Yeah it seems like they should have added some sort of Ring of Soul Blocking or some such that you could equip.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel a little ripped off the game just gave me a npc mirror squire now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTMvJ7Nn74

Those can be player characters??? :psyduck:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Even though every keeps saying magic is OP I gave it a shot and found it to be boring as hell. Then I discovered that loving punches are the true secret best weapon in Dark Souls II.

Fashion Souls!

Did you guys ever look at the columns of trash in The Gutter? Creepy!

STAY OUT OF MY loving HOUSE

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
YOU KEEP WHAT YOU KILL

I KILL EVERYTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Not going to happen if Sony is footing the bill.