Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Grondoth posted:

How are Clerics this time around? I've been Clericin' since Demon's, are miracles good?

Compared to dark souls 1 I'd say they got a solid boost. How elemental weapons work means faith will be a solid boost to melee. Lightning spears aren't limited to one copy ever from the sunbros, and wrath of the gods is a tremendous pain in the dick if there is lag. Like I've been 1 shot for 1750 hp with great magic barrier up because it was kinda laggy and I misjudged. Faith also gets you half way to hexes which are also pretty interesting.

Magic overall is pretty powerful and being at range keeps you safer in most PvE stuff. Lots of people I invaded relied pretty heavily on sorcery or hexes. There is one way specifically I've found that shuts them down absurdly to the point where some hosts have kinda froze up when I just kept coming through their huge wall of spells. So its not broken even if you aren't a god of rolling through spells. The whole meta is still in flux and every few days a new thing is 'unbeatable' because nobody has figured out how to counter it.

Notably different though is defense actually matters instead of just poise and looks. It probably won't save you when a dragon steps on you but from normal attacks and especially pvp you'll see the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

david... posted:

Man, just had my first instance of somebody hacking, Blue Sentinel'd into the Heide's Tower area, saw a guy with two friendly phantoms so I pulled back a little to the large circular area to give myself some room and then was suddenly teleported to the bonfire area onto the sword of one of the guys, boo, booooo!

Anybody else starting to see the modders and hackers? I just realised that without GFWL and usernames we can't actually report people so it's just down to VAC now I assume?

You can go to the steam overlay, click 'view players' then the recent games tab and it will show the steam accounts you have been in game with sorted by time. If you click the profile link there will be a 'more' drop down box with a 'report violation' option.

I've run into a few hackers blue invading. One guy was farming the unending ghosts before vendrick with infinite hp and another guy stopped taking damage when he realized soul spear + homing soul mass wasn't going to cut it against me.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Rirse posted:

I got a question, can you put the Giant Kinship in the bottomless box so I can not have to fight the last boss immediately after the Throne Guardians? Mostly so I can finish the quest line with Benhart. Just noticed the mistake when sunbroing at the boss and got into a game where they went straight from the Throne of Want Guardians to the last boss.

You could try. If not asceticing the congregation is an easy way to get another Benhart win. Giant lord isn't even too bad asceticed a couple timees if you have magic although it can take a couple tries if benhart get crushed by the head or an unlucky hit.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Internet Kraken posted:

Hardly. While its not impossible to dodge, its harder to avoid than most attacks because its 4 rapid fire shots that hit in succession. You have to time your dodge so that the i frames last through all 4. Also if there's any lag you're probably going to get hit.

Really though my problem with Avelyn is its so easy to incorporate into a build. Basically anyone can use Avelyn. Furthermore using it carries no risk since it fires so fast from long range. As far as I know you can't really punish someone for using Avelyn unless they're doing that ridiculous dual build, because for them reloading is actually an issue. As a result tons of people use it. It gets old really fast.

It takes no skill to use but it has no growth. An exceptional player with an Avelyn can't do much more with it than someone fresh out of the gate. To a new player its a powerhouse which is why you see so much of it and as a new player it seems like such a bitch to go against. But roll towards it at a diagonal and you only have to iframe a couple of the the bolts and the rest will miss. It takes a lot of stamina and is slow to fire and reload, and its fairly heavy if you are jamming it on top of a build. Unless they have the invisible weapon ring and you can't see it its not so bad once you get used to it.

vandalism posted:

I am garbage at any form of pvp in this game. I just get wrecked no matter what. Dude pulls out full auto crossbows and kills me instantly when it becomes anywhere near close. Guy smashes me in three hits as I try to parry. So much fun.

How were you at PvE when you started? When I started dark souls 1 I died to each enemy at least once. PvP is basically the same experience except you don't fight the same enemy until you beat it. Other people's builds are roughly like a type of enemy. Pick your PvP build and then keep fighting until you get used to it. You'll start to see the patterns after a bit. The sword and board ones, greatsword ones, casters, fists, parry or backstab fishers, havelyns, and so on. Some will be really good and crush you, some will be really bad and walk off cliffs but most will be in the middle and you will pick up how a build works the same way you learn the difference between how a hollow fights vs how a mammoth knight fights. You will die. A lot. Its fine. You'll win some too and eventually you will realize you are crushing some chump in 3 hits while he flails around and you are the monster. Be sure to wave as he dies.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Burning an effigy shuts off multiplayer and is a waste of an item besides when you can just log out. I don't see how not wanting someone to counter invade is at all different from not wanting someone to invade period. Invasions are called as such for a reason.

Invasions spice up the game. If I'm not in way of the blue usually I don't want another guy popping in to help (or I will try and grab a friendly phantom if one is around). If I really don't want to fight I will be in way of the blue and pop chameleon or a silver talisman somewhere hard to find and let the phantoms fight it out. But if it was uncontrollable I wouldn't have the choice. Being offline will spawn npc invasions, burning an effigy will not. The devs clearly want invasions to be part of the game and added things to mitigate them but not remove them totally for people who don't care for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Manatee Cannon posted:

They spice the game up if you enjoy them. I don't. And you literally don't have a choice as it is, that's the point of an invasion! They invaded you, that's what that word means. They also throttled the way your usual invasions work due to the fact that anyone can be invaded.

If you don't want invasions there are things to do. Don't make the rest of us have to have blues tag along for the few invasions we get. If you are terrified of pvp stay in the way of the blue and they will show up right away to save you.

I was listing reasons why people might burn an effigy because you asked why someone would ever do that instead of pulling the plug. Its not like effigys are rare or anything.