Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man, I've been grinding the Sunlight covenant to get the miracle achievement and the place where I'm getting by far the quickest summons is the Prowling Magus. I'd understand why so many people would summon there if they were doing Benhart's quest, saw my sign, and thought "Why not?" but most of them don't even have him. That boss is especially funny as a phantom because you can just run up behind the Magus and priests and one shot them with a backstab. 5 medals to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Baron O Beefdip posted:

One thing that disappointed me about dark souls 2 is I feel it has less cool looking weapons than the first.

I'm gonna make a new character to play through the dlc with someone recommend me a cool looking weapon.

Dragonslayer Spear (give Old Dragonslayer's Soul to Ornifex) is the coolest looking weapon. Of course it's also from DkS1.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quick question about Benhart's quest: Will talking to him in Memory of Whatever cause him to disappear forever, or will he stay there until I complete his quest? I know Lucatiel disappears from Adlia's Keep after talking to her, but I think Benhart won't even show up for the Giant Lord until you talk to him.

On a related note, I've found most of the NPC summons to be pretty helpful, but I think summoning guys for Throne Watcher and Throne Defender makes the fight significantly harder, if you're trying to make them survive it anyway. Killing the bosses before they kill your phantoms pretty much requires attacking them constantly so you never have any stamina. Then both bosses will suddenly turn their attention to you and you can't roll or block. They're nothing special solo, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

For some reason Lucatiel never appeared for me in her final place at Aldia's Keep, even though I'd met her in all other locations prior to that. I wouldn't have gotten her equipment anyway, since I hadn't summoned her for enough fights, but it was kind of an anticlimax since hers was the story I found most interesting of all the NPCs.

Did you talk to her in Black Gulch? I doubt I would have found her there without a guide. I think you also need to exhaust her dialog each time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I fulfill the conditions for an achievement in offline mode is there anything I can do to trigger it, or do I just have to get it again on a new character or NG+? Killing Vendrick is the one in question.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

argondamn posted:

Huh, you should get the achievement whether you're online or not, at least that's how it works with the consoles.

Well it didn't pop up when I killed him. Gathering of Exiles isn't working either for whatever reason. Not a big deal since you need to get to NG++ for all the achievements anyway (or max out BoB and BS covenants :suicide:) but it's a bit annoying.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Raisin Beasts drop petrified dragon bones, so picking which boss weapon you want to use is no longer a momentous occasion :toot:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

With 20 VIG and a random hodgepodge of armor I could take three hits from the final boss of the DLC. With 40 and actually good armor you'd almost be an NPC summon.

Nope. The key is added to your inventory automatically. You do still have to know to check out the primal bonfire room after the Rotten, though.

If you read the description of the key it's incredibly obvious where to go. Also if you get the DLC before killing The Rotten.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Artificer posted:

Nuuvem has a 10% deal on it. Thoughts?

And what of the Faith/Miracle PvP and PvE nerf? What is the general consensus on it? Should I switch out of Faith entirely or just switch my entire spell library to support spells like heals, barriers, and then like?

Green Man Gaming usually has a 20% off voucher you can find on google. At $20 for three of these DLCs I'd say the bang:buck is at least as good as Artorias.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The black phantoms in the DLC are all massive hp sponges, yikes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Flytrap posted:

Hex actually, the Dark Greatsword. Pretty sure there's something else too but damned if I can remember it.

I know there's another place you can get Dark Greatsword jump off the elevator near the bonfire before the gank squad boss.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Question about the final DLC boss. Is there some trick to reducing the massive weapon degradation? Even with a bracing knuckle ring +2 by the time he was dead both my Dragonslayer Spear and halberd were on the verge of breaking

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They should change the name of the DLC to Poise'n'Poison.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't tell if "Abbess Feeva" is a NPC or not I keep seeing her and if it's a player they keep acting like one. Also, it's great that Sinh is the first dragon to realize he can just crane his neck a little to breath fire on whoever is stabbing him in the butt (ie; me).

Joke's on him, it's a way worse attack then that fly up in the air and breath fire directly down attack that all the lovely dragon fights have.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't started the DLC but will I be in for a poo poo time if my guy is 40 Faith and his main weapon is Lightning Defender sword?

My other weapon is a lightning Heide sword :v: I've never had a reason to not make everything lightning.

I did fine with a Dragonslayer Spear throughout the DLC. It was actually better than my quality halberd in most cases.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do my casting stats or catalyst strength have any effect on weapon buff spells? Aside from having a better dark modifier meaning more dark damage and the like.

Crazy Achmed posted:

The shaded woods are not fun. Zero visibility that doesn't improve with a torch, and fast enemies with partial invisibility that you can't lock on to. Oh well, at least it wasn't a teleporter maze.
How limited is twinkling titanite in sotfs? I just noticed that the drangleic sword has good dex scaling. Likewise for slabs and getting my rapier up to +10.

Yeah they suck. Protip: Hug the left wall and you can dash through in like 20 seconds without fighting anything. You miss some good rings, but nothing essential. The DLCs are the hardest content in the game so you might want to save them for last, or at least after Castle Drangleic, since that's when you get access to all of them. There's also a key item from the snow DLC that makes the shaded woods enemies way less annoying.'

Regy Rusty posted:

That was my experience. I tried to game it as people were saying that if you kept one skeleton alive she wouldn't summon velstadt. Turns out that's not at all true.

At that moment point I gave up and summoned a player and then went on to enjoy the rest of the DLC much more than that one fight. She was a definite low point for me.

Yeah, Velstadt gives me more trouble than any other boss in the base game, and I've never had her summon him less than twice so I do not care for that fight.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 30, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

welp the first major sunken dlc boss is annoying as hell on top of me just hating the area in general. Also no one plays the area so I have no summons other than the girl who punches and dies doing no damage. Hate the caster, hate the big giant dude she summons and it's just painful all around.

Yup she sucks. Using the fire resin or some other type of fire damage will massively increase your damage against, so do that.

e: I'm too late! woops. Well on a similar note the dragon is more or less immune to elemental damage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

snoremac posted:

Unfortunately it didn't seem to effect anything. Nobody's invading these days :(.

New issue: I was finishing off odds and ends before tackling the DLC for the first time and consumed the giant souls literally before deciding to kill Vendrick. It looks like it would take forever to kill him at the rate I'm chipping away. The best thing I've managed is to use the notched whip to shave off 200 bleeding damage every 5 hits, but it's still very little. Is there anything else I can do that'll improve things? I'm willing to kill Ancient Dragon if it'll turn 200 bleeding damage into 400, but not if it'll only take my whip attacks from 3 to 6. Also, is it necessary to kill Vendrick for storyline reasons in the DLC? A wiki I read said yes, but it was so poorly written that I'm not sure.

You need to kill Vendrick to get Vendrick's blessing, which is a fairly neat story related thing and is required for the SotFS boss fight/ending. I think the only other benefits are that you get his gear and his soul. Maybe you get some different dialog from that grave warden npc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

It's definitely your TV, you can see very far when the blizzard clears.

Honestly you should just skip it. It's a garbage area and the one thing I have never ever bothered to replay in the whole series after slogging through it once the first time. Here is everything meaningful you will miss out on by skipping it.

-Lucatiel's hat without the mask
-A ring that makes you look human while you are a phantom
-A boss soul that makes I think 1 weapon you probably don't care about at this point

There's incredibly little there for all the trouble. And if you can't even see when the blizzard is down, it's going to be even more miserable for you.

Yeah, probably the worst area in the series. That said, once you know your way through it you can get through only fighting 2 or 3 reindeer, and if you take the 3 NPC phantoms the boss is trivial. I actually think the boss weapon is pretty awesome cool looking, dex scaling greatsword that has the straightsword moveset when 2-handed, although the boss shield you can get is laughably terrible blocks nothing but magic higher then 60%, has a completely insignificant constant hp regain.

Thankfully you get 2 souls so there's no reason to ever do it more than once per character

BobTheJanitor posted:

Quality advice. In a few hundred hours of DS2, I've never run out of enemy spawns. I think you have to kill an enemy something like 15 times before it stops spawning, or thereabouts. Anyway, you really have to be trying to reach that number. Also really really don't worry about soul memory, especially on your first playthrough. The chances that it would ever get filled up enough that you somehow locked yourself out of PvP are miniscule, and even then you're probably better off making a second character later to dedicate to PvP if it's important to you.

I don't think I've ever run out of spawns aside from a few random hollows near hub areas and the time I tried farming a Heide set. I think a few tougher enemies, like Heide knights, take less than 15 kills to genocide.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 10, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

I have no idea how they messed up lock on in DS3 so much. I didn't think it would be what I miss about DS2

DS2 feels like it tried to improve on 1 mechanically, and had some hits and misses in that regard. 3 feels like it just wanted to replicate 1 and even ignored the improvements from 2.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

Also am I a scrub for using the summons you get, like Lucatiel and Pilgrim Bellclaire? The Flexile Sentry fight was so easy with Lucatiel, and the Ruin Sentinels seemed sort of impossible without having Bellclaire there.

You actually have to summon Lucatiel and Benhart to complete their quests. Their phantoms have to survive 3 of the 4 (5 counting dlc) fights you can summon them for, and you have to exhaust their dialogue at every location they appear. The Rotten is actually kind of tough when you have to blitz it down before it can kill Lucatiel, she just dies incredibly fast in that fight. It's kind of weird considering how well she holds up against the smelter demon and ivory crown boss fight.

Don't sweat it if you messed up their quests though, all you get is some gear and an achievement.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vargs posted:

-2h Halberd (pick any one of them). Very reliant on hitting enemies with the sweet spot of your weapon where the blade is positioned, which gives it an interesting and fun extra dimension.

2 also features Targray's Halberd, which is the coolest weapon of the coolest weapon class in the series. You have to kill him to get it, and it requires twinkling titanite to upgrade, but he's a dick and you can get it to +3 pretty quickly due to a recurring miniboss dropping the titanite.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think it's my favorite of the three. The only major flaws are the less cohesive world and soul memory, which I don't really care about, and a lot of unmemorable/filler bosses. DS3 might edge it out if the DLC is good, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The worst part of that area is that the wyvern's breath does virtually 0 damage to the other enemies. I thought I could be real smart and just run past them and get them roasted by the fire breath, only to see them take like 20 damage and flinch slightly. What gives.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elena sucks because it's such an RNG-y fight. Maybe you'll get lucky and she'll only summon a bunch of skeletons. Or maybe instead she'll end up summoning Vendrick 3 times in a row.

edit: sorry, I meant Jason Vorhees

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 13, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

It's real dumb and bad looking how when you get close to them they'll spin on a dime like a goddamn dreidel to face you.

I've never played the version of dreidel where you spin them on dimes. But yeah, those freakin salamanders are definitely on the short list for "most bullshit enemy in the Souls series".

Can anyone think of something that can top them? I'm honestly drawing a blank. The fact that they have a massive amount of hp makes it tough for other annoying enemies to measure up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Gutter is one of my favorite non-DLC DS2 areas and I always take the master key to skip Blighttown. It's just a really fun area to play. I wish DS2 had more areas that really went in on the lighting mechanics.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Samopsa posted:

Yeah I'd recommend skipping all the coop areas of the dlcs (iron passage, frozen waste, cave of the dead). They're terrible and don't offer good rewards.

The sword you get from the ice one is pretty awesome (and the shield is awesomely terrible). None of them are hard to just dash through once you know where to go, but yeah they suck and are extremely skippable if you're not feeling them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Orv posted:

Thematically it's neat and there's a certain sense of pleasure to be had from beating a boss that is the most basic of all Souls principles: Slow and steady, don't panic.

Unless you're trying to use it to advance Lucatiel's plot in which case you have to DPS race it down in about 30 seconds before she suicides in a fire pit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Memory of the old Iron King (the Alonne gauntlet and fight) is also one of the DLC co-op poo poo zones, but people never seem to count it with the other 3 because it has a cool boss I guess.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

why do you think they made that choice? One of the things I've always liked about the Souls games, is that they respect if you know what you're doing, you can straight up run through enemies and areas.

For a lot of DS2, it feels like they hate the very idea of you doing this and will have enemies chase you to the ends of the earth and attempting to do anything while they chase you is just death

SotFS also made some areas like Heide Tower way less run-throughable. Sucks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Merry Deciever posted:

ah, durr, there is a bonfire right before the Fume Knight. That makes things easier

I missed the bonfire the first time I found him so I just thought "yeah, gently caress this" and didn't come back for a year. That's a hell of a boss run.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

Frozen outskirts isn't so bad if you do it after getting the King's Crown so you won't have to spend effigies to be human.

Bring your pals Head of Vengarl, Abbess Feeva and Manhunter O'Harrah, then watch for the first landmark when the wind dies down, and hoof it over there. If any ponies show up, your posse will fight them. Wait for the wind to die down, look for the next landmark and haul rear end again. never stop to fight a pony. Run run run.

Yeah, once I learned I can bring three whole NPC phantoms it wasn't so bad. I mean, it's still real bad, but I can finish it in one attempt or maybe two if I'm unlucky easily enough. The sword you can get from the boss Soul is one of my favorite From weapons ever. The shield is hilariously poo poo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I find DS2 in either incarnation is the hardest of the base games, personally, but I think the DS3 DLC is the hardest content in the series. The boss HP creep got kinda crazy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

giZm posted:

6 more deaths. 1 to gravity, 4 to Pursuer because I'm a big dumdum with a greed problem, and 1 to Ruin Sentinels because I fell down and panicked.
Freed Straid, got Dark Orb, need to level FTH now I guess to get the damage of it up?

e: more Pursuer deaths, but Sinner down
e2: Belfry Gargoyles down, because why not. Died a few times to those pesky bell guards, but worth it.

Even if you've got the Pursuer fight down to muscle memory the fight in that courtyard area near the blacksmith suuucks. There are just so many adds to take care of to fight him unmolested.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I did my first playthrough of DS3 as Lucatiel, definitely one of the best Souls side characters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uh I think you'll find that something something ~*interconnected world*~

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

giZm posted:

Boss room is physically in the volcano behind poison mill, and Iron Keep is at the top of the volcano in the caldera. There, makes sense.

This is how I always thought about it, never really scrutinized the skybox to see if it made sense because I just don't care that much.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It doesn't suck, actually.

A dense honeycomb of interesting stuff is kind of immersion breaking to me, if that makes sense.

Having stuff spaced out makes one appreciate the scale, I feel.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with large empty areas like Elden Ring has as long as a) you have a way to traverse them quickly and b) the game still has plenty of content, both of which Elden Ring covers well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vermain posted:

The general impression I've gotten from reading comments and discussions about Elden Ring is that the people who enjoyed it the most primarily enjoyed it because of the impression given by the unfathomably vast scope: it genuinely does feel like the game goes on forever with how much the map opens up, and that sense of covering a tremendous distance and poking your nose in every spare corner has a certain appeal if you have that exploration/completionist mindset. I personally enjoyed From's more linear efforts far more, as the actual content available in that expansive world feels, at the best of times, like generative AI more than it does a carefully considered and hand-crafted experience. It's a tradeoff of quality for quantity, and whether you find that appealing or not is going to depend on how much more you're grabbed by atmosphere over gameplay. I fall far more on the gameplay side of the coin, so I tend to find the game a frustrating experience of impressive highs that you have to chew through a mountain of cardboard padding to get to.

I think this may be part of the difference in reception between DS1 and DS2: the interconnected world of DS1 is great for building that sense of atmosphere, but DS2's focus on linear paths allows for a more curated escalation in challenge and greater freedom in creating stronger individual themes for each area, since there's less concern about how they logically fit together in the world.

Yeah, the thing that made Elden Ring jaw dropping for me rather than merely extremely good like most From games was the sheer scale. I don't think every From game needs to be anywhere near that big going forward, but I'm glad they made Elden Ring the way they did.