Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Most people in an airport wouldn't know who Roman loving Reigns is, let alone people from NXT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

It was in the Alamodome and I think they papered the hell out of it.
Papering the hell out of it (Meltzer estimated they legitimately sold around 4,000 tickets), plus in 2013 they stopped doing real monthly PPVs replacing some of the contractually obligated shows with television providers with pre-taped One Night Onlys. So they announced tickets for Lockdown at the Alamodome in late 2012, sold it as one of their "Big Four" shows (along with Genesis, Slammiversary, and Bound for Glory), and did a fanfest and other events that weekend to try to give it a Wrestlemania Weekend type feel, as much as TNA could possibly do so.

For what it's worth, reported attendance for other Alamodome wrestling shows:

Royal Rumble 1997: 60,525
Nitro (2/2/1998): 21,213
Nitro (7/27/1998): 19,109
Royal Rumble 2017: 52,020
Royal Rumble 2023: 47,585

Possibly relevant to Eric Bischoff's strong take that only idiot money marks book venues they can't fill

Drakkel posted:

Most people in an airport wouldn't know who Roman loving Reigns is, let alone people from NXT
Booker T talks a lot about the airport test, I don't think Booker T would just LIE about people clamoring to see Edris Malik and his partner at all of the airports.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 29, 2024

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, one would hope that Bischoff would be more than aware that it might end up more economical to book NBA/NHL-sized arenas because they already have the facilities for broadcast TV, whereas an arena that maxes out at 8–10k doesn’t.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i mean there are more people who've watched nothing but wwe for years, so it would kind of make sense that a more or less completely random crowd would have someone who identifies baron corbin before they identify the bucks. corbin sucks, but like twice as many people were watching him suck. :shrug:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not that we needed more context but why not

https://twitter.com/EnuffaDotCom/status/1773702624757289008

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Wasn't the story got the sham President of Smackdown job for five months that he would just shamble around from catering having no idea who anyone was or what was going on in general

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

UnleashedDad posted:

Wasn't the story got the sham President of Smackdown job for five months that he would just shamble around from catering having no idea who anyone was or what was going on in general

By his own admission he never watched the product and had no idea what was going on and nobody really asked him to do anything anyway so at some point he just stopped going???

It certainly lends credence to my theory that him and Heyman were only there to be Vince's meat shields when the numbers went down.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bischoff is correct that Quebec City is a hot wrestling market as it's only 3-4 hours away from Montreal which is a hot wrestling market and they're both basically the same thing. It's the same logic that proves he's correct in saying Dave Meltzer wrote the Death of WCW book, Bryan Alvarez is a nearby market.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Very easy for some of Eric's brain power to mistake Quebec City for montreal. Very easy mistake to make indeed

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Boy I hope nobody hires this Eric Bischoff to run any wrestling companies

It doesn’t sound like he would be good at it

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Very easy for some of Eric's brain power to mistake Quebec City for montreal. Very easy mistake to make indeed

The brain geniuses in the replies have helpfully pointed out that he didn't refer to Quebec City specifically and was speaking instead of the hot market of... the entire nation of Canada, I guess.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I hate the "well-known" thing since like no one outside of a handful of guys are known to non-fans, and even then it's because they've been in movies and such. No one has a clue who like Baron Corbin is.

Actually, maybe they know Baron Corbin since he was on the loser side of a feud with ChefReactions.

It's extra dumb because most people don't know the popular players in almost any subculture. I don't know the best football players around the world I don't know the best fashion designers around the world etc.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mark Kermode lookin rough

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston
These made me blow air out of nose pretty hard.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I hate the "well-known" thing since like no one outside of a handful of guys are known to non-fans, and even then it's because they've been in movies and such. No one has a clue who like Baron Corbin is.

Actually, maybe they know Baron Corbin since he was on the loser side of a feud with ChefReactions.

You can't be famous unless I personally think you're a big deal and you're only a big deal if you appear on the television shows that I watch.

There actually is a metric for celebrity called the Q score. It never gets mentioned by fans during these kinds of arguments because reality won't actually prove the point they're trying to make.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 29, 2024

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Dave sure would be dumb if he accurately described the angle WWE did

https://twitter.com/ImBathory/status/1773755927486660924

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The thing I've never understood is wrestling fans obsession with the idea of seeing a wrestler at the airport being like, an important thing. Like I've always assumed it was some dumb thing some old wrestling dude has said but I don't actually know where it comes from

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

VideoWitch posted:

The thing I've never understood is wrestling fans obsession with the idea of seeing a wrestler at the airport being like, an important thing. Like I've always assumed it was some dumb thing some old wrestling dude has said but I don't actually know where it comes from

It's an old wrestling thing that I've heard a few old heads talking about. I guess it mattered more when live attendance was how you made your money and you'd be seeing how big people are in person. Now that we watch on screens it matters less because the cameras obsfucate how tall people actually are.

Metzler mocks the idea of it mattering nowadays, some of the biggest draws in mma/boxing are smaller than the average man. He likes to use the example of d1college basketball/football players, those guys will crush the airport test but nobody actually knows their names.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

VideoWitch posted:

I think it is metaphorical now more than literal, but at some point it was literal, at least in the mind of promoters. The idea is super outdated for a number of reasons but I think the "airport" part is specifically hearkening back to the 1950s/1960s where throngs of fans waiting to catch a glimpse of their favorite musicians/actors/athletes at an airport was a Thing (most famously "Beatlemania" with thousands of people freaking out at JFK when they stepped off a plane. This has obviously fallen out of fashion stateside for a bunch of reasons outside of I guess tightly controlled greeting of some sports teams or political rallies, but it was a sign you were Hot sixty years ago.

There is also the idea articulated by old wrestling promoters that this was part of the appeal/mystique of attraction wrestlers back in the day, there's no question that your Andre the Giants and Abdullahs and Bruiser Brodys or whomever would be very noticeable at an airport. Less clear is the further theory that fans will notice Abdullah the Butcher flying into Dallas or Tampa or Memphis and immediately go "oh wow, that's wrestler Abdullah the Butcher, if he's at my local airport he must be wrestling this week, I'd better buy a ticket and tell all my friends!"

Used nowadays it's basically a reverse justification for only wanting to push tall/brolic/flamboyant/very attractive wrestlers, a marginally more polite way of making GBS threads on 'vanilla midgets', where the idea that jobbers are the type of people who might be sitting next to you at the airport and you wouldn't really look twice at them, but STARS are people who you'd go "well that person must be something special!" It also seems to ignore that many of the most famous athletes, actors, musicians, performers, etc. are people of very average height, weight, conventional attractiveness, etc. A lot of pro athletes are taller/more muscular than the average person, but a lot of pro athletes are complete unknowns to the general public compared to Kevin Hart or John Oliver or Olivia Rodrigo or other very famous people, and I don't think BTS would automatically be more famous if they were the size of an average college basketball/football team.

It's really just a way for generations of people in wrestling to poo poo on other wrestlers for being too short, too skinny, too quiet, not fuckable enough for them, etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 29, 2024

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Now it is more literal than ever because people go to airports to mob wrestlers and get them to sign poo poo

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

Now it is more literal than ever because people go to airports to mob wrestlers and get them to sign poo poo
But they do so while those wrestlers aren't all dressed up and in gimmick, failing the airport test by being bleary eyed with no makeup and a hoodie on. They pass the airport test, but also miserably fail the airport test.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If you bother me at the airport I might cry

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
if i were a wrestler i would not want to be bothered at the airport because flying sucks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He's New Japan 46 :(

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1773855156523917647

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

His knees are just moments away from turning to dust like Tana's did

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hes younger than reigns and rollins lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

this guy has made a career out of telling me actually that cool thing you like, you're dumb for liking it. What a maroon

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Man isn't even trying anymore, you hate to see it :(

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

In addition to being younger than Roman or Seth, Okada is younger than:

- Either WM title challenger (Cody Rhodes & Drew McIntyre)
- IC champion Gunther (and his challenger Sami Zayn)
- Either tag champion (Balor & Priest) and all six of their announced challengers at WM (Gargano, Ciampa, Miz, R-Truth, Xavier Woods, Kofi Kingston)
- LA Knight or AJ Styles
- Either Uso
- Randy Orton and Kevin Owens

As of right now, out of 22 announced male competitors at Wrestlemania XL, the only one younger than Okada is Logan Paul.

Of course, Rock and Roman are a WWE 38/51 respectively, which means they're a Japanese 27.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
now they say all ages are created equal and you look at me and you look okada and you can see that is simply not true

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Man isn't even trying anymore, you hate to see it :(

The deli meat trays are getting harder and harder to come by.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Plagiarizing content for twitter is shameful

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
its only a crime if you get imo you should steal everything and claim it as your own

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ryzye3/status/1773845841687748910?s=46

Show that’s been held down the road from WrestleMania every year for two decades is being held down the road from Mania, news at 11.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
oh that's a goldmine for nerds

https://twitter.com/PeterThrasher11/status/1773579410228035702

https://twitter.com/JohnPeskyy/status/1773570240930058539

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 30, 2024

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/ryzye3/status/1773845841687748910?s=46

Show that’s been held down the road from WrestleMania every year for two decades is being held down the road from Mania, news at 11.

I maybe misremembering this, but Tony talked about discounting this tradition at the media scrum for the first Supercard under his ownership. He talked about how he wasn't sure the look of holding a PPV directly down the road from the biggest player during their biggest PPV, but then the next reporter basically talked him out of it with a story about how he discovered the wrestling world outside the WWE by attending a Supercard show because he and his friends were hyped up for seeing Wrestlemania live and decided to give it a chance.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

post hole digger posted:

hes younger than reigns and rollins lol

yeah but while 36 is 46 in NJPW, 36 is 26 in WWE because they're focused more on the storytelling than injuring their bodies for pointless matches

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

JUNGLE BOY posted:

yeah but while 36 is 46 in NJPW, 36 is 26 in WWE* because they're focused more on the storytelling than injuring their bodies for pointless matches

*Does not apply to knee ligaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This guy is a complete loving moron on twitter which is a real-life mashed potatoes for brains