Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

when I dont know who a wrestler is I simply google them and wonder no more

Yeah, but it absolutely takes way more time to type a wrestler's name into Google than going on Twitter and complaining about how I don't know this person and that means that obviously everyone else doesn't know who they are either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
it's just a shame that all those rad highlight videos to 2000s hard rock are a lost art, that was the best way to learn about any wrestler

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TinTower posted:

I'm hiding the link behind the spoiler tag for the benefit of those who haven't watched Windy City Riot yet, but man, Triple H fans are not sending their best:

https://twitter.com/numberOneFan365/status/1778993166131077303

We got to get these guys to convince HHH to give someone else the Dean Ambrose character. Just call up Regal’s kid or something and have him be Dean Ambrose.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tampa Bae posted:

it's just a shame that all those rad highlight videos to 2000s hard rock are a lost art, that was the best way to learn about any wrestler

People still make those!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a dumb moron posted:

Circling back to the whole “:saddowns: AEW has wrestler run ins and I don’t know who they are! :saddowns:” thing:

I know Jack squat about Mina Shirakawa. All I know is she’s in Stardom and she’s popular. When she did the run in on Dynamite, I didn’t complain about who she was, I said “hey. She looks cool. I wanna see more of her.”

Done. That’s it. Why can’t people do that?

And now I’m watching Windy City Riot and I am seeing Alex Windsor for the first time. I have no idea who she is. But she looks cool. And I’d like to see more of her. It’s not complicated.

look, at their age and BMI, they need to treat every show as their last

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Aside from catching bits and scraps of Hogan and Savage when I was basically a fetus, the first wrestling show I ever actually sat down to watch was one of the episodes of Nitro where Booker T won the TV title (I think it was from Disco Inferno?), and I was a kid with no context for anything except having seen Steve Austin once and wanting to know more, I had no idea that WWF and WCW were different things or that there was even more than one wrestling championship, so I just assumed I was lucky enough to turn on a random episode of The Wrestling Show and see them crown a brand new world champion and that seemed cool.

And then I wanted to know more about the things I didn't understand, so I went and found out, because finding out is part of the fun. And learning about it was fun! And that was with 1998-rear end internet! You have the miracle of obsessive wrestling nerds now, you don't even have to listen to people on Oracle forums telling you the Renegade and the Ultimate Warrior are the same person

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Pretty sure the first wrestling thing I ever saw was one time in middle school the one kid that obsessively taped every single episode of Raw and Nitro showed me that match where The Rock threw Mankind into the electrical equipment and hit him in the head with a chair roughly 900 times in a row and I was like "I have no idea who these people are but this seems cool as poo poo"

Eventually I learned the chair shots to the head are not, in fact, very cool but still.

Drakkel fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 13, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Actually the chairshots are extremely cool it’s the consequences that suck

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
imo having no idea who someone is, then watching them put on a fun match and winning you over or making you hate them is one of the coolest wrestling experiences. I don't know why people are disappointed when it happens.

Besides being goofy fun, one of the other neat things about wrestling is how much of the storytelling makes sense even if you can't understand or hear a word they're saying.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
This thread sucks, I don’t know who anybody is in here

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wrestling is at its purest when you have no idea who anyone is and you pick a lifelong fave based on Vibes Alone.

Icetrain for Life

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I wonder how these people think wrestling existed before weekly TV was a thing. I somehow doubt people would show up to an 80s show and see Hulk Hogan or Andre and go "WHO THE gently caress IS THIS GUY? WHY AM I SUPPOSED TO CARE!? EXPLAAAIINNNNN!!!"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Promoters used to come to town a week early and play promotional video packages in the town square so that everyone would be ready for the show

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Promoters used to come to town a week early and play promotional video packages in the town square so that everyone would be ready for the show

Every week they'd mail out a lore bible containing every single wrestler and every storyline they've ever been in because bad writing is when you don't already know every single thing about every single character on the show.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

These guys were the targets for the Angelina Jolie movie Salt with the tagline “Who is Salt?”

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This angle is so bad you can barely see Lashley. I was wondering why they were doing such a weird looking superplex when I saw this on my feed.

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1778943848984527063

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MassRafTer posted:

This angle is so bad you can barely see Lashley. I was wondering why they were doing such a weird looking superplex when I saw this on my feed.

No but you see it's a different camera shot fromt he 12 camera shots that Kevin Dunn had used for the past 25 years and therefore it's cinema on the level of Barry Lyndon.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

But it's CINEMA!!!!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wrestling is at its purest when you have no idea who anyone is and you pick a lifelong fave based on Vibes Alone.

If you can't create a lifelong ride or die and/or parasocial relationship with someone based off a portrait on the character select screen alone, then they're no good.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

MassRafTer posted:

Off topic but it’s wild to me that Lashley went from WWE Champion to midcard in multiman matches. I guess he’s not a Paul Levesque guy? Or is his body breaking down?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

but genuinely, i may have done something similar if i started watching by myself without someone to hold my hand a bit and answer my questions about who is who, or why so-and-so just hoofed that guy in the nuts backstage. it's tough to jump into something and have it stick when there's no real beginning, middle, or end to the product

I feel that, ROH and AEW commentary do a good job of catching you up to that. My first show was Revolution 2022 and I could still follow Eddie vs Jericho despite not knowing anything about Eddie, simply out of "Eddie wants respect, this is why they fight"

Or, again with Eddie, the Claudio story. "he doesn't like Claudio, they have beef cause Claudio betrayed him in the past". Gotcha, let's roll.

That said, handholding does help, I know Ibushi showing up wouldn't have hit me as much as it did if I hadn't heard of the Golden Lovers story before. It would have worked, with them telling us he and Kenny are as close as they are, but less so I guess.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

C. Everett Koop posted:

If you can't create a lifelong ride or die and/or parasocial relationship with someone based off a portrait on the character select screen alone, then they're no good.

To be fair I entirely agree with this

Wrestling is best when wrestlers have immediately distinctive looks and “pop” when you see a trading card or the headshot on the character select screen and I miss the older days usage of facepaint, masks, unique hair, and accessories like the road warriors shoulderpads

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Wrestingshark/status/1779324551916106114

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

who is Tama Tonga?

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Jonny Nox posted:

who is Tama Tonga?

Haku’s son who’s been at NJPW for a long time but recently signed with WWE

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a dumb moron posted:

Just realized I can Google wrestlers and get answers.

ok he is the GOD guy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

a dumb moron posted:

He had a moment where he was really good and I felt like he hit a wall or regressed or something.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Jonny Nox posted:

who is Tama Tonga?

not sure, waiting for a video package hopefully next friday

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
he must get into a savage bar brawl to truly be haku's progeny

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jonny Nox posted:

who is Tama Tonga?

He's a big nerd who paints his face like obscure Star Wars characters.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

JUNGLE BOY posted:

not sure, waiting for a video package hopefully next friday

Yeah how come no one online complained about who Tama Tonga was? There was no video package so how did they know who he was? I’m starting to think fedbrains are in bad faith!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a dumb moron posted:

Yeah how come no one online complained about who Tama Tonga was? There was no video package so how did they know who he was? I’m starting to think fedbrains are in bad faith!

he's clearly an Anoa'i because he's Samoan and was inducted into the bloodline.

Typical AEW fan, can't understand cinema

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Jonny Nox posted:

he's clearly an Anoa'i because he's Samoan and was inducted into the bloodline.

Typical AEW fan, can't understand cinema

I own a Fellini box set I understand cinema just fine :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ALeavelle/status/1779309276462232001

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

who is Tama Tonga?

he was bad before, but now that he's signed with wwe he's good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He sold his trike and regressed already...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Noted chaste wrestling promotion Stardom

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

C. Everett Koop posted:

he was bad before, but now that he's signed with wwe he's good

It really is fuckin’ obvious how much this is the case to these doofs

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I see so many tweets with thousands of likes praising every new camera angle WWE does and then I click the video and it's the worst poo poo imaginable. I saw one with 20k likes and it was a continuous 2 minutes of one cameraman slowing walking around the ringside area while 2 guys wrestled. I couldn't even tell who the guys wrestling were because they were off in the corner of the screen while we got a nice clear view of the ring apron and posts. It shattered any sense of immersion and made it impossible to see the actual match, but there was no camera cut so to WWE fans that makes it cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

He is so loving stupid jfc