Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think it's at least a little bit a PR stunt to make WWE look more friendly to other companies because literally all they have to do is send one NXT LVL UP level guy there and the entire stanbase is like "I'M SUDDENLY A HUGE FAN OF ALL JAPAN, THIS IS GREAT FOR BUSINESS, WAY BETTER THAN ANYTHING AEW AND NEW JAPAN EVER DID!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Drakkel posted:

I think it's at least a little bit a PR stunt to make WWE look more friendly to other companies because literally all they have to do is send one NXT LVL UP level guy there and the entire stanbase is like "I'M SUDDENLY A HUGE FAN OF ALL JAPAN, THIS IS GREAT FOR BUSINESS, WAY BETTER THAN ANYTHING AEW AND NEW JAPAN EVER DID!!!"

That may have been part of it but if it was a major consideration it'd have lasted more than 3 dates over a week with one guy. At this point it seems more like it was just Regal hit up Hideki Suzuki who he knew from NXT to get his son some extra experience. With a hint of the weird relationship between the AJPW owner & Simon Inoki and Inoki poemntially playing middle man with WWE which has never really been made clear

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

"they make too much money" is maybe an awkward way of phrasing it, but there's very little benefit for the wrestler or wwe for them to go to an ajpw tour in front of like 600 people a night. there's a ton of guys who wouldn't be a fan of having to do that travel, the footage wouldn't be particularly impressive looking so you wouldn't show it on tv, i don't think ajpw's opening any doors for wwe they couldn't already open, and wwe would probably make more money doing a small japanese tour themselves.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I agree. They should be sending them to smaller venues. Like a dentist office

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/jaybird8525/status/1783696906419417233

Yeah, Vince would never.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

it always comes back to Cornette

https://twitter.com/WRESTLECringe/status/1783622275570262261

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

drat, Cody really can do anything. First he solved racism, now he's WWE's first Asian Universal champ

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Firstly, what does the stock market have to do with anything? Secondly:

https://twitter.com/jaybird8525/status/1783903445251985707
Trying to play for sympathy in a real legal case is apparently less bad than keeping kayfabe while doing something that it will have literally no impact on.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

PROTECT KAYFABE!

No not like that!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"I stole it from someone else who got it from Jim Cornette."

If you ever say that you need to immediately stop what you're doing and reevaluate the decisions in your life that have led you to this point.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

And neither would H. Sure, maybe a funeral, but nothing as sacrosanct as the stock exchange opening.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/EBischoff/status/1783965117358452758

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/EliteClubS0B/status/1783956914801623462

i hope they do too

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
"a legitimate ally"
https://twitter.com/RobertB46817789/status/1783974258881773841

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

lol he is so loving mad Tony didn’t give him a job

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

a dumb moron posted:

lol he is so loving mad Tony didn’t give him a job

Maybe he should do a matronly woman beauty pageant, Eric?

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/MontelWP/status/1783961284691595527?t=jv0Lg_TbwI0OFkq_vT8Fdg&s=19

Remember when Ric Flair was the President of AEW?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

He is just not even hiding it anymore, is he

lol/lmao

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Tony khan is the best because he can rile everyone up into a frenzy so fast

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

lol, lmao, the pearl clutching

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

rotinaj posted:

lol, lmao, the pearl clutching

for god's sake wont someone think of the camera operators?

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Weren’t there like 10 executives named in the lawsuit?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

a dumb moron posted:

Weren’t there like 10 executives named in the lawsuit?

well, numbered if we want to get specific

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bringing in Flair sucks whether or not it was as a performer or an executive

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It does. I understand his inclination to do whatever Sting wanted to close out his career but Flair made no impact on business or even the story and never looked like he was even halfway interested in being there, and now AEW is stuck with this branding on their show until whenever the contract runs out. It was a bad decision that I hope he doesn't repeat.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

You are not allowed to print that Eric Bischoff is mad in the newspaper

Eric Bischoff is not mad and you cannot say that he is mad

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Newsletter.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

Newsletter.

:hmmyes:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Thought Cornette would one day die of a heart attack but I think Bischoff might be in the running ahead of him now

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

DLC Inc posted:

Thought Cornette would one day die of a heart attack but I think Bischoff might be in the running ahead of him now

Only the good die young

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

No. Mariah is formerly NXT UK IIRC and WWE had no interest in her, probably because they already had Tiffany. Tiffany was already on NXT before Mariah debuted in Stardom and Mariah never said anything about WWE reaching out to her

But I bet WWE is already trying to poach her, or they will when her contract is up

She was never in NXT UK according to cagematch. She got started in 2019 in what looks like a bunch of UK indies before taking a 15 month break right at the start of the pandemic. By the time she came back to wrestling in June 2021 I think Tiffany was already at least in the PC as her onscreen debut in NXT 2.0 was just a few months later in November. I think it's likely that Mariah for a little while was not good enough to be someone WWE would consider as an outside-the-system prospect at the time, and by the time she was good enough Tiffany was already well established as a next-big-thing in WWE and AEW made the move on signing Mariah. There's no reason a company couldn't have both though and WWE should absolutely make try to sign Mariah when they can because she's got tons of potential.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

rotinaj posted:

…wasn’t Bischoff a source of Dave’s well into his time as Raw GM?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a dumb moron posted:

…wasn’t Bischoff a source of Dave’s well into his time as Raw GM?

Eric talked to Dave frequently and provided him with documents.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is extremely interesting to me how people who say they hate meltz the most typically have been constantly leaking to him

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Eric talked to Dave frequently and provided him with documents.

If you zoom in on the Observer that Hogan burns it's addressed to one Eric Bischoff.

No one actually go and check that but spread the word on Twitter so it makes Bischoff mad tia.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The thing that sold me on Dave was when my friend started scanning Observers for me when Dave did the takedown on Controversy Creates Cash/an excuse to do a deep dive into Bischoff's honesty and the fall of WCW. Which Dave never bothered to finish!

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Sure, controversy creates cash. But not like that!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

quote:

Dave Meltzer's Reputation Takes a Hit

Someone pointed this out on X & I just want to dive more into it with you all.

Dave Meltzer, a well-known wrestling journalist, has been facing a lot of criticism lately. Several big names in the wrestling industry have called him out, questioning his accuracy and credibility.

The Rock and CM Punk Slam Meltzer

The Rock dismissed Meltzer's sources, and CM Punk went off on him in an interview with Ariel Helwani. Punk's harsh words have added to the growing doubts about Meltzer's expertise and objectivity.

Undertaker and Grayson Waller Join the Criticism

The Undertaker said he felt "dirty" after Meltzer used his name, and Grayson Waller mocked Meltzer's prediction about a ladder match. It seems like Meltzer's influence and credibility are slipping among wrestlers and fans.

Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay Weigh In

Kenny Omega thinks Meltzer hands out 5-star match ratings too easily, and Will Ospreay doesn't take Meltzer's opinions seriously. Ospreay points out that legends like Kurt Angle don't have any 5-star matches according to Meltzer.

Dominik Mysterio Calls Out Meltzer's False Report

Recently, Dominik Mysterio denied Meltzer's report that he has to have surgery. This has raised even more doubts about Meltzer's reliability and the credibility of his sources.

Is Meltzer's Reputation in Trouble?

With all this criticism, it's clear that Meltzer's reputation is under fire. It seems like some wrestlers might be playing a game to see how much false information they can feed him. As the criticism grows, it's hard to ignore the questions about Meltzer's credibility and influence in the wrestling world.

I’ll leave you all with this: Is this washed fraud ruining the business?

~ Stone Cold Oh No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

…didn’t Rock talk to Meltzer too???