Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

Then where does the hate boner for ROH come from?

To be fair, there are lots of ROH fans out there who make it very, very easy to hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

Pretty sure 1,100-1,200 is regarded as max capacity in the ballroom if you have practically no setup like ROH, and set up a couple hundred seats on the stage.

They definitely weren't putting as many seats on the stage as ROH was.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dimebags Brain posted:

That I actually get more than stubbornly insisting that the company's doing great and ignoring all contrary evidence.

A lot of it probably stems from the fact that most "smarkier" internet wrestling fans like the ones found here who think that TNA's a terrible company much prefer ROH.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dimebags Brain posted:

I'm guessing its based mainly on the idea that TNA is "above," the Indy scene. They can't properly stick it to the McMahons unless they're better than those other products that could never hope to be his competition. So they have to poo poo on RoH and NJPW and every other group with any visibility. They're basically all Eric Bischoff without Ted's money to blunt their Napoleon complexes

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think the ROH hate has ramped up lately because of unwarranted speculation about them getting the Spike slot or pointing out that they deserve it more.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ROH rules TNA drools

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think the ROH hate has ramped up lately because of unwarranted speculation about them getting the Spike slot or pointing out that they deserve it more.

Same with that baseball thing. There was some talk about Basebrawl dropping TNA for ROH (hence the 'sloppy seconds' comment on the last page). I don't really know how it works or what happened though because the only thing dumber than TNA is baseball.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Same with that baseball thing. There was some talk about Basebrawl dropping TNA for ROH (hence the 'sloppy seconds' comment on the last page). I don't really know how it works or what happened though because the only thing dumber than TNA is baseball.

I mean, the obvious answer is they probably didn't want to do it because they're already running that market so often in the summer, but that's also the smart answer, which makes it unlikely to be the answer TNA came to on their own.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Coming from a WCW die hard you really don't want to admit your favorite company is stupid and irrelevant. ROH is picking up TNA talent by default and now picking up venues (and running bigger venues in the same building than TNA can.) They need to not only act like TNA is doing well but also need to minimize anything ROH does because if ROH is doing better than TNA at something business related it is a bad sign for TNA.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Garrett Kidney is someone I've talked Wrestling with for years. He is a very good, succinct review of TNA. Someone who loved TNA in 2006 and is really sad how far it has fallen. He gives an alternative (as in not glowly positive) take on TNAsylum which is met with "maybe you should stop watching" by people who don't grasp the concept of a review.

Anyway loved this comment in the comment section:

quote:

If people would think outside the box they'd be excited about what's going on in TNA. But you don't and so it's mostly doom and gloom. I think outside the box and I'm excited about TNA and the whole Pro wrestling industry. I'll just say it's going to get very interesting in the next 6 months or so. And remember I said so before anybody.

Mark my words!

Like something Jeremey Borash or Bob Ryder would say in mid to late 2000 WCW:
http://www.tnasylum.com/2014/05/last-night-on-impact-wrestling_30.html

"Think outside the box" is always the reddest of red flags.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DarkstarIV posted:

TNA Mecca is the Free Republic (:freep:) of the pro wrestling world.

Hey, you're right! There is always more and it is always worse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
In regards to someone saying that they could not in good faith support Dixie after all she had done to the talent.

quote:

just imagine how outraged he'd be if she helped somebody cover up a murder or destroyed the territories

But my favorite was the response to that.

quote:

Or have a talent killed in an "accident" for breaking the neck of her future cash cow.

Indeed, we should all #AskQuestions when it comes to Owens death.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
From the ever lovely TNAMecca:

Their current product is a lot like the Attitude Era!

quote:

The current product reminds me a lot of the Attirude Era format wise, just with better wrestling quality
The show is very storyline driven, everything connects to an ongoing angle. While the number of matches has decreased, the amount of action has actually increased. How? Because the amount of brawling and chaos has doubled, so the action has doubled.
I like that they have gone this route. Some might not because they only consider matches the action, but I enjoy all the brawling and craziness. Reminds of when I was a kid and I sit down to just enjoy the insanity and the fun, not over analyze everything
Another reason I like this format, its an alternative. No matter how much some want to say its WWE lite, TNA is lterally nothing like WWE. Raw and Impact are night and day different. Impact is more violent, more intense, more wrestling/action driven. They are nt in anyway for children, which kind of holds them back ratings wise because that's a more successful demo than adults. But at the same time, its better to be different.

Jericho Vs. Young? Will we see it in our lifetime? no, we won't

quote:

WHOA! MisterTNA just noticed something that happened either yesterday or today:
Chris Jericho is following TNA's Twitter account and visa versa. TNA doesn't follow anyone's account that isn't affiliated with them somehow. I don't want to read into it too much or get ahead of myself but this seems like something. I know Jericho just did his podcast with Bully Ray so there's that. TNA has NEVER followed someone that is a free agent like this before on Twitter. VERY interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If hurting a main eventer means McMahon kills you, then why hasn't McMahon killed Mysterio's left knee?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Endorph posted:

If hurting a main eventer means McMahon kills you, then why hasn't McMahon killed Mysterio's left knee?

It was replaced by Kerry Von Erich's left knee around '08-ish

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Endorph posted:

Rey's done that one all by himself.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bard Maddox posted:

Rey's done that one all by himself.

are you suggesting Rey is McMahon's hired hitman?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

are you suggesting Rey is McMahon's hired hitman?

Rey hasn't really been that active since January 2010. Who returned in January 2010? #AskQuestions

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Great White Hope posted:

Rey hasn't really been that active since January 2010. Who returned in January 2010? #AskQuestions

Damnit, Edge

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SylvainMustach posted:

From the ever lovely TNAMecca:

Their current product is a lot like the Attitude Era!

Jericho Vs. Young? Will we see it in our lifetime? no, we won't

I am starting to think TNA Mecca listens to all of the Observer podcasts and takes whatever Bryan's complaint of the week is and turns it into a positive.

How many times is this that Jericho has trolled TNA fans? At least the third.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Sanguinia posted:

I'm guessing its based mainly on the idea that TNA is "above," the Indy scene. They can't properly stick it to the McMahons unless they're better than those other products that could never hope to be his competition. So they have to poo poo on RoH and NJPW and every other group with any visibility. They're basically all Eric Bischoff without Ted's money to blunt their Napoleon complexes

At one point in time ROH had the best in-ring wrestling product in North America, or possibly the world.

TNA have never been best at anything. Except maybe embarrassing themselves as a company.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

God Of Paradise posted:

At one point in time ROH had the best in-ring wrestling product in North America, or possibly the world.

TNA have never been best at anything. Except maybe embarrassing themselves as a company.

ROH is probably back to "best in the U.S.", in-ring wise. PWG might have a conention there, but they run less frequently and use a bunch of the same guys.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So some context behind what I'm about to post. Two girls (I think they are girls) kept tagging Seth Rollins in their tweets, even if they didn't involve him. Naturally he got annoyed by it.

https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/469719092157759488

The replies were really terrible. Well the girls did apologize. But then the comments after that included: I hope you break your neck, then someone replied with: I hope something worse happens. Or that he could rot in hell. The whole comment stream is beyond stupid, even for twitter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Reminder there are obsessive weirdoes that have various wrestlers mentions on super high priority watch lists.

And there's other weirdoes that have bios that read like "DM'd by John Cena 5/15/13 Followed by Dean Ambrose, Natalya is my life" Almost verbatim, every single time.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Remember someone I followed being really annoyed at the comment you directly quoted, DarkstarIV. Besides the behaviour of those he was replying to Seth was on the back end of a gruelling European tour.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Reminder there are obsessive weirdoes that have various wrestlers mentions on super high priority watch lists.

And there's other weirdoes that have bios that read like "DM'd by John Cena 5/15/13 Followed by Dean Ambrose, Natalya is my life" Almost verbatim, every single time.

Wasn't there a dude who tweeted the better half of the WWE roster talking about his dead grandma asking for a sympathy retweet?

He might have been the same guy who had a thing for Kelly Kelly and felt the need to characterize every other diva as a whore.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 2, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't there a dude who tweeted the better half of the WWE roster talking about his dead grandma asking for a sympathy retweet?

He might have been the same guy who had a hting for Kelly Kelly and felt the need to characterize ever other diva as a whore.

I think the dead grandma was Eric Calcara, but I'm not sure.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey Hulkster can a brother get a RT?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think the dead grandma was Eric Calcara, but I'm not sure.

Yeah that was Eric "Randy Orton Gave Me A Meaningful Stare" Calcara.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oatgan posted:

Yeah that was Eric "Randy Orton Gave Me A Meaningful Stare" Calcara.

IIRC, someone on The Board found out he was a teacher and alerted the school, which got him fired. Then he posted a Happy Birthday message on facebook to some 12 year old and said he'd never forget that time they had at summer camp or some creepy poo poo like that.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

IIRC, someone on The Board found out he was a teacher and alerted the school, which got him fired. Then he posted a Happy Birthday message on facebook to some 12 year old and said he'd never forget that time they had at summer camp or some creepy poo poo like that.

and IIRC he was reported for having like 60 parachute accounts on twitter to harass wrestlers and tweet really gross poo poo at them

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

coconono posted:

And then there's one weirdo who harasses tons of wrestlers nonstop 24/7 but I forgot what his name is

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mob posted:

And then there's one weirdo who harasses tons of wrestlers nonstop 24/7 but I forgot what his name is

@deez

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
THE BABINSACK WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

quote:

On Wrestling: Three Ways To Turn TNA Wrestling Around

Wednesday, 04 June 2014 16:00

Submitted By Joe Babinsack

Nobody’s asking me, but TNA could really use some suggestions. Even though the chances of them using potentially interesting avenues of this artform called professional wrestling for profitable purposes is slim-to-none, (well, in part because of the same), I figured I’d toss out a few ideas.

There is a distinct theme to these ideas which is to strip away a lot of the nonsense and get back to basics (matchmaking, letting personalities and talent shine, let the wrestling do the talking and not have wrestlers do the talking). The other theme is that TNA actually does have talent to spotlight, so why not shine that spotlight on notable talents. I know professional wrestling these days is mostly filler, but sometimes I get that crazy notion that it should be a lot more than just that. I also know championships are tokens, props and playthings and not serious these days, but I’m stubborn in that way, too.

Idea #1

The first thing I’d do is build the promotion around a guy that could be considered a serious athlete, a dangerous individual, and someone who once commanded respect, and despite TNA’s obliviousness and efforts, still retains enough momentum that he could break free. That guy has a pretty good name, even if too many people cannot pronounce the first one correctly: Samoa Joe.

For some reason, there’s a cool chant that resonates in my brain, which isn’t non-violent, and yet remains simplistic enough for that concept called a catchphrase, and this was one that so many fans spontaneously erupted with during that shining era of ROH, and the first year or so of Joe’s tenure with TNA. I’m sure my hardcore peeps know what I’m talking about.

The problem today is that Joe’s not been the “killer” for too long, and no transition or incremental storytelling is likely to bring him back, without a great visual, a connection to the past, a solid reason to break Joe away from the mundane and the mediocrity that TNA can only aspire to escape. Many may see this as a take on the Dungeon of Doom, but I see it as an advanced level of the same.

Getting to this point should take some time with TNA, which hopefully means at least a two hour show of references, if not two months, but my attention to the attention spans of creative types who should know better suggests that I’m already asking too much. Getting to the point, we see Joe ushered off to a darkened room; invited, cajoled and prodded along the way to get him there. The darkness is lit by torches. We glimpse the trappings of Polynesia, the rumblings of culturally correct music, and an imposing figure with his back turned.

When he turns around, we can only assume that it is one of the famed and historic Wild Samoans. Maybe it is, maybe politics prevent it, but tying Joe back to the history and lineage of that famed family is important on many levels. Perhaps Joe is indifferent, but this is a defining moment, and the promo that venerable Samoan delivers, inciting Joe to his glory, to his potential and to the glory of Samoa is one for the ages.

We no longer see Samoa Joe as a guy lost in the card, but a Samoan Suplex Machine, and a man on a mission. To make it really work, the first guy he runs into (probably the next week) mocks or laughs. This would be someone recognizable. And Joe destroys him. At this point, we know TNA doesn’t want him in the ring, hurting their talent, so for months he’s fed unknowns, and for months he destroys them. Joe clamors for competition, the fans get behind him, and eventually he gets names, chances and on the veritable path of rage (cue Taz), he destroys every person in every short match and becomes the Heavyweight Champion.

Idea #2

Instead of aping Daniel Bryan, TNA should feature a guy with similar talent, drive and size, but refocus the X Division around him, and establish a lighter weight class and avoid the size issues and that way feature a more indie-centric workrate. The obvious person is Austin Aries, and the obvious approach is to unleash Aries on all levels.

The less-than-obvious approach is to also use Aries to make a lot of references and teases about a former (ROH) world champion, and get the wrestling fandom riled up about that punk kid. TNA should be trying to re-establish its connections to wrestling fans of different eras and regions and styles, but should be focusing on a guy who can be that central character.

Aries can pull it off on so many levels, and to establish him as a guy who knows wrestling, knows its future, and can speak as the present day top dog, all the while calling out his friends and former associates, all the while using his wits and his talents, but most importantly while being the lynchpin of an X Division that is built upon his level of talent, and knocking those who proclaim themselves “Best in the World”. TNA has enough ties to Japan and Mexico and could use the Indie scene to establish Aries as the “Best in the World” or some other moniker of his choosing.

Idea #3

Tag teams are again on the decline, even though so many thought this concept was on the rise. There’s obviously one team in TNA that can re-establish the concept, even though they are well into being sucked into the black hole of TNA’s uncreativity. Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards can still, if left to their own devices, put themselves on the map and put tag team wrestling back as a respectable approach to this brand of sports entertainment.

Like with the X Division (and heavyweight), TNA could focus on bringing in “names” and building them up, and having the Wolves knock them down. The overall picture for TNA should be focusing on champions, paying those champions to be the best, and bringing in other talent to make sure things get interesting and interesting on an ongoing basis. I know that’s crazy talk, "old school" mentality and so many would say it will never work.

Too bad no one’s really tried it in twenty years.

When I saw "On Wrestling:" I got excited. When I saw the article was on TNA I knew we were in for magic.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It's funny because his ideas sound reasonable until he explains them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

when I tweeted to Dave Meltzer to give us more Babinsack, I wished he knew I was kidding. Dude probably has hundreds of submissions.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

coconono posted:

when I tweeted to Dave Meltzer to give us more Babinsack, I wished he knew I was kidding. Dude probably has hundreds of submissions.

Dave can't detect sarcasm in speech. How's he supposed to detect sarcasm in the written word?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

For some reason, there’s a cool chant that resonates in my brain, which isn’t non-violent, and yet remains simplistic enough for that concept called a catchphrase, and this was one that so many fans spontaneously erupted with during that shining era of ROH, and the first year or so of Joe’s tenure with TNA. I’m sure my hardcore peeps know what I’m talking about.

I have no loving idea what he's talking about here. Guess I am not one of his hardcore peeps. :newlol:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I have no loving idea what he's talking about here. Guess I am not one of his hardcore peeps. :newlol:

I assume he's referring to the "THE CHAMP IS HERE" chants Joe used to get in ROH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Reading it back, the "isn't non-violent" makes it probably "JOE IS GONNA KILL YOU."

And who the gently caress can't pronouce "Samoa" besides Scott Steiner?