Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

SatansOnion posted:

is there some other wrestler named Dusty Rhodes who I haven't heard of, to whom this poster might be referring? Because the one I remember had many qualities, some of them without peer in his field, but he definitely looked to me like an adherent of the extremely old-fashioned "rich foods, booze, and cigars" school of physical conditioning

yeah, but he's probably not referring to the one i know. the other one i know was a 2x NCAA (division 3) national folkstyle wrestling champion and he was just a lil feller at 130-something pounds. he coaches wrestling in iowa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dawgstar posted:

Mfs like... lemme check my notes... Roddy Piper, Randy Savage... oh, forget it he's a paid blue check mark either too stupid to know what he's saying or just outrage farming for that extra $40 from Elon.

i think that's ice cubes kid whos an actor, or someone impersonating him lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Shard posted:

Ryan Satin has only brushed up against a real journalist because he isn't one.

Jesus christ it's not hard to become a journalist. Just apply for a news organization

if anyone thinks it's hard, just read my post history and know that ive been hired multiple times to be a journalist, and im a stone-cold dipshit. but that's not rare in my profession

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

it's the show that ive been waiting for!!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

me to tony about his booking: You did a racism. You did an imperialism. You did a nationalism. You did a xenophobia. You did a white fragility. You did a weak apology. You did no growth. This makes it abundantly clear you don't understand the intersectional nature of the multiplicity of your offenses

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Gedo is kicking himself, never having considered "make business hot" before.

Sissy Gedo of failing New Japan Pro Wrestling and owner of bad food restaurants has a problem-his V.F. Oscar party is no longer "hot" - donald trump kevin kelly

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

apophenium posted:

The AEW show I went to a guy yelled "You look like a horse" at Aubrey Edwards and me and my wife and everyone around us yelled at him to shut da gently caress up. I think some people are just lovely and like to be lovely in public and that stinks

i was at dynamite in newark a couple weeks back and there was a guy in his late 30s, early 40s with not a ton of hair left, but had an undying amount of enthusiasm for christian cage. he was in the sleeveless turtleneck, coiffed his hair into cage's style the best he could, and carried a cardboard (but well-made) tnt title. when cole and the kingdom came out to talk and the crowd started the "he's our scumbag" chant, jersey christian bellowed out the best he could "christian cay-age" over and over for the duration. it was endearing and hilarious. im glad the two shows i went to had no real shitheads yelling shithead stuff

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

people know they're going to see me deliver an rear end Kicking when "headstrong" by trapt suddenly comes over the grocery store speakers and im in a costume that any respectable drag queen would call "garish and unnecessary" stomping towards my victim in the produce section

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

is jade still called jade or did they rename her amethyst betelguese or something?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Cult of Pies posted:

bring out the polygraphs. not those ones, the legitimate ones.

it's literally not legal to do. OTOH, it's the wwe and they've demonstrated "legality" isn't exactly a deal breaker, so sure, make the shitheads sweat with junk science

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

ive got a buddy who watches weekly wwe and aew, but he also pays for ROH and NJPW world plus ppvs from AAA, GCW, and all the indies come mania weekend, plus a chronological rewatch of WCW. suffice to say he's a loving sicko who does all that and listens to podcasts and reads books and not the normal member of the WWE Universe (TM)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

rotinaj posted:

What is it like being Dave meltzer’s friend

he wore wrestling t-shirts every day until he got a girlfriend. now he only mostly wears wrestling t-shirts.

he got me into aew after me writing off pro-wrestling entirely after tuning into WWE one day on a lark post-high school and the first segment i saw was a group of latino men riding to the ring on a lawnmower and wearing cover-alls. he's not quite as knowledgeable as meltzer, but dude could be his millennial cousin

E: fixed it so it was me writing off wrestling, not him writing me off lol. dude kept trying to get me into wwe, bless him

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 30, 2024

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i want to work in a place for exposure, double so if that place will expose your naked body to coworkers without your consent

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

karmicknight posted:

I know you can sail a boat from the Caribbean to Cleveland if you are crazy enough, could you get that boat to Chicago, the world will never know.

i was going to join the navy in high school but i couldn't sign up for a branch of the military that made its sailors do basic training in chicago where there's no ocean! they're bad at knowing where the ocean is!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

could you imagine wanting to go to work at a place that will pay you the most and will let you do whatever you want while you're at work? what kind of idiot would take that job?

me, ill take $40k, a 70 hour work week, and the opportunity to impress my boss who APPRECIATES me working on sunday and is giving me an opportunity to come in on saturday too!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

real sports rule because players don't have the freedom or agency to go to a different place to play in a style that better suits them or maybe offers more money. im a fan of boston sports teams, and all of those championships came from homegrown talent only. i remember drafting manny ramirez and david ortiz and josh beckett and kevin foulke and jason varitek like it was yesterday. almost as vividly as i remember "breaking the curse" in 2004

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Tampa Bae posted:

It went NWA > Jay-Z > Nas > Tyler The Creator for me, I didn't grow up with american hip-hop or rap I should probably get into Run The Jewels or Wu-Tang Clan or some groups that aren't weird

this reminds me that RTJ and Wu Tang toured together once and i missed it and now im mad i missed it all over again

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Run the jewels always struck me as Reddit rap.

no! no!!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Killer Mike acting like a Melvin is one thing but it has been 12 years since we got a solo EL-P record and he is in danger of losing the title of EL-P to that wrestler guy. For some of us our reasonable childhood goal was to run a Stepfather Factory so we need more output.

For My Upstairs Neighbor (Mums the Word) is a masterpiece and I'll Sleep When You're Dead might be my favorite rap album title ever. You're right, El better put some solo stuff out

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i know wrestling attracts some weirdos (i say, looking deadeyed into my mirror) but are there people showing up to USC games in OJ shirts or Rae Curruth at Panthers games or Jimmy Saville cosplay at the BBC or whatever? that seems like a really wrestling fan thing to do, given the cheers ive heard for some real fuckin' monsters

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

You did a no-sell. You did a no story. You did a spotfest. You did a dangerous. You did a crowd threat. You did a weak apology. You did a no growth. This makes it abundantly clear you don't understand the intersectional nature of the multiplicity of your offenses

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

yeah, it sucks you can't read the replies without an account. i ain't going back, but i get it too lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

that's awesome - i appreciate the head's up!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

read that okada post for a while and i got bored and scrolled down and wow that guy has too much to say about a guy who has been in the org for like 3 minutes of TV time and likely has agency in how his full-time american debut would go

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i walk by titan tower all the time, it's like 7 stories tall and maybe 50' above sea level. i think darby will be OK if he uses good-quality plungers or whatever to scale it

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

you guys getting paid? all i get are a box full of lovely shirts that didn't sell, and the whole thing smells like an ashtray :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i don't think TKO UFC would be so uptight about making it "a contest" and just roll out a make-a-wish kid to fight the next c.m. punk instead of a prospect with fighting experience

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the make a wish kid would murder CM Punk are you insane

the next cm punk might be tougher tho

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

VideoWitch posted:

drat how can I buy Mox as a legitimate contender if he washed out in the first round of a local blowjob tournament

nothing more embarassing than getting choked out at a blowjob competition. sometimes you throat the dong and sometimes the dong throats you

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

...so pay people and maybe they won't?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

hhh should just hire dalton to stand next to the ring and have the event wherever they want, even kansas or whatever. call dalton "paul's moving castle"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they all suck but he keeps trying

mlmp

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

a dumb moron posted:

I remember trying to get my WWE fan brother-in-law to watch AEW and he said “I tried and turned it off after 30 minutes because I didn’t know who anyone was” and I was like yeah no poo poo you didn’t know who anyone was, it’s your first time watching a new product, what did you think you’d know??

He didn’t bash AEW by the way, he thought what he saw looked cool, it was just a baffling reason to turn it off to me.

is your brother-in-law blood related to you, forums poster a dumb moron? if so, i may have found the problem

but genuinely, i may have done something similar if i started watching by myself without someone to hold my hand a bit and answer my questions about who is who, or why so-and-so just hoofed that guy in the nuts backstage. it's tough to jump into something and have it stick when there's no real beginning, middle, or end to the product

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

El Generico posted:

The context for that has changed a ton, too. Back then, PPV was a much larger chunk of a company's overall revenue, these days, TV rights fees are a way bigger one, so it makes sense to put big matches on TV.

Even accounting for that, though, the dream matches that AEW puts on TV are ones that AEW isn't going to get around to doing as big PPV main events any time soon. If they ever do Ospreay vs. Claudio as a title match, it'll be several months, maybe years from now, and having done it last night won't be a big problem to the hype for it. When WCW was giving away PPV main events on TV, it was matches that could've or should've main evented the PPV for that month.

"remember how dope their match on a random dynamite was? imagine what it'll be like on a PPV!" seems like it'd help sell things, even

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i tried to one-winged angel my wife but i couldnt lift her into position and she laughed at me and now we're divorcing :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

id pick any elder millennial who was decently successful as a high school wrestler and weighs 200-ish pounds to beat phil in a fight. if you say "double leg" at him, he falls to the ground and does his best impression of a turtle trying to get off its back and gets misty eyed in frustration as he fails to do so

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/AIRGold_/status/1783270493157458255?t=fuzhP7TbUQuykiKa5a_xUg&s=19

Bully Ray doesn't like it when the crowd are going hot as gently caress for a great match.

mfw i pop but they keep wrestlin'

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

yes, pepsi phil left aew to return to wwe. he wasn't fired after repeatedly assaulting co-workers and bosses

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Shard posted:

I thought yall told me Jim was smart?

he's got the smarts of a crustacean. barnacle-brained jim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Most Power Alex posted:

Taking everything the commentary team says literally sounds like a decent Twitter gimmick.

Taz says, and I quote, 'He took him to Yambag City'. I didn't see them leave the ring and I checked a atlas, there is no Yambag City. There's a Yamba in Ethiopia but it's a village at best. These people need to get their poo poo together.

lmao