Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
People would surely pay good money to subscribe for pure, objective wrestling journalism. Just give me match results and press releases and keep the "opinions" out of it! It's not too late for Dave to change course and finally start to make a living off of his newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Reading Reddit dorks arguments in favour of Baron Corbin is too much for me. I don't know if they are just trying to be contrarians or if they are so unconsciously reactionary that their instinct is to back stupid opinions with all their might. Handwaiving away decreasing ratings and live attendance with the fact that people boo Corbin as evidence he is a great heel. I've seen so many people argue that if viewers don't like Corbin being all over the show they should stop watching, but then also argue that decreasing ratings are due to a million other reasons but never that people actually don't like Corbin getting incessant heat every show.

My hunch is that if these people didn't have an online community to troll with their dumb contrarian opinions, they wouldn't be fans of Baron Corbin. I don't think these people watch Corbin matches and go "hell yeah another chinlock!" without also fantasizing about how many people will get riled up when they say they liked the match.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's funny people give Corbin credit for "getting heat" when he was a heel GM unavoidably all over the show, and constantly going over faces in boring matches where he was the weak link. You could take any generic oaf and put him out there every week, let him talk on the mic for 10 minutes about how local sports team bad and town residents fat, and then have him pin a fan favorite and he will also get consistently booed. It won't draw any additional money, but the people that paid to see the show will react with boos when they see generic oaf heel so that is somehow proof the heel is succeeding in his role.

I'd also want to see the overlap of Baron Corbin superfans and people that thought Jinder's reign was a great success.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Vellius posted:

yeah, the thing that so many modern authority angles seem to miss is that mr. mcmahon was ultimately a buffoon who showed his rear end when the time came. he repeatedly got comeuppance; meanwhile, even when the authority lost, they didn't really lose. steph rarely looked weak or foolish, even with the women.

that weird detour of the becky angle last year where she actively rebelled against the authority, only to turn around and politely apologize so she could keep her mania match, as well as the angle where the authority was disbanded after a year or so of oppressive dominance, only to come back the next week are peak examples of someone not getting why the vince stuff used to work.

nobody wants to tune in and see the hero helplessly eat poo poo from their bosses for months on end while the weasely office sycophant gets ahead.

Yeah but she might accidentally go through a table every 18 months so def worth it imo

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hoss Corncave posted:

It gets better if you look at the reply to Bix's reply to that tweet.

https://twitter.com/niceguy101111/status/1373865264400449538
I just don't understand how the thought processes of these people work.

Usually you see the "living rent free in your head" thing in an online argument when someone doesn't have a response but still wants to feel like they won the exchange. Throwing it in as a non-sequitur is a different level though.
I'm sure this guy chalks up his tweet as a big win.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Doing some crazy flips as part of a multiman spot fest is the best use of guys like Ninja Mack. Tweets like that are basically the current version of pretty average ECW guys being used in limited protected roles and less discerning fans believing they are best in the world talent.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
When I go to the theater to see a comedy movie, three good chuckles is the sweet spot. If I laugh throughout the film, I know something has gone seriously wrong.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lamuella posted:

so when Punk did that callback to a 1994 Bret Hart match, was that longterm booking 28 years in the making?

Many people missed it, but Hangman Page vs Kenny Omega was the culmination of a storyline that began on the very first match of the very first episode of Monday Night Raw. As the records show, both matches ended in a pinfall.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
https://twitter.com/SWTToday/status/1515031949525594118?t=qd8Wh_UyPxOZx_FNgxccsg&s=19

This reminds me of pedantic dorks trying to argue that rap isn't really music

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think it is tough to be a clear-cut standalone draw these days as tickets are usually sold before matches are announced and assigning who individually drew a high PPV buy rate is never going to be an exact science.

With that said, it is still easy to tell who is a star and who still needs to be built up. Trying to come up with a perfectly objective ranking list of the "drawing power" of full time guys is a bit silly, as there isn't really anyway to rank them without relying on vibes. Is Ricky Starks a bigger "draw" than Powerhouse Hobbs? I couldn't tell you, but it is obvious that both guys are on a tier above say Serpentico or Aaron Solo.

If you place people on tiers, it is actually pretty easy to see who the draws are. If Adam Cole was replaced in his match on the last PPV vs Hangman, who would be needed to step in to keep up the same interest? Would Starks or Hobbs fill Adam Cole's shoes as a main event PPV draw? Probably not, but Mox, Jericho, Punk, etc could. Jade Cargill vs Marina Shafir isn't going to be a giant draw, but could you imagine if the main event was Red Velvet vs Marina Shafir?

It's crazy to look at someone that gets big reactions, sells merch, and is part of main events on shows that draw consistent strong ratings and then say there is simply no way to evaluate if that person is a draw.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
https://twitter.com/jeff_604/status/1517964507943149569?s=20&t=i191gbKnqpwr3gHmquiPgg

We are way past this argument

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

1glitch0 posted:

He was popular and wasn't TERRIBLE in the ring. It was the late 90s. Everyone and their mother was over. Literally in Buff's case.

He had the simple to understand gimmick of dancing guy that casual fans can get behind watching in 4 minute TV matches every once in a while. Every time he was put in a spot above this level, it became super clear where his ceiling was.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
God drat it, they have a roster full of people I like. This is the last straw, AEW.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
These guys are really fixated on the viewership numbers for the debut episode as some kind of own on AEW, but for pretty much every TV show the highest rated episodes are debuts and finales.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...utm_name=iossmf

Translation: “I can’t wait until someone in AEW breaks their neck so I can say I told you so”

Legend has it AEW had a match where one wrestler kept punching at his opponents head. Now he didn't actually hit and injure his opponent, but imagine if he had!

Also, if you mention how wrestling is intrinsically dangerous or how other promotions have injuries on a regular basis too, that is whataboutism and it makes you a bad person.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I know finding bad takes from Reddit is kinda cheating, but today I've learned TK spent between 20 and 80(!) million on Fight Forever, and that AEW is assuredly burning cash to create tax losses for some reason?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/xyvox3/meltzer_if_aew_is_profitable_there_would_be_signs

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

luchadornado posted:

That thread is an amazing collection of "I'm not an accountant or in entertainment or have ever run a business, buuuuut I'm certain AEW is in the hole and TK is definitely using his own money to keep it afloat - based on my experience and instinct."

The best is people that refer to "math" that they've done to determine how AEW must be losing money hand over fist. I'd ask them share their calculations, but I mean c'mon we know what's up.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Murder Bryan's been mentioning Leykis on Twitter recently and I can't be more excited. Shocktober is the best time of the year.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Despite consistently being a top rated show on cable, AEW is big money loser for the WBD somehow and will be cancelled.

From this I have also realized all shows on cable, 99% of which get worse ratings than AEW, must all be money losing failures too. In fact, all of cable TV is a money losing passion project that big corporations can't resist endlessly dumping money into.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
'Lucci on the memes, hoe

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Give me one good reason Danielson, Omega, Moxley, Hangman, MJF, Kingston, Malachai, Pac, Sonny Kiss, Billy Martin, Swerve, Tall Paul, Miro, Penta, Joe, and Starks can't all be undefeated champions that main event in competitive matches versus other top stars on TV every week?!? Tony is dropping the ball here...

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
If a wrestler was also a genuinely good rapper that can create songs regular people like, they should probably just be a rapper. Unless you're Bryan Danielson and simply can't not wrestle, why would you thrash your body when you have other options?

With that said, it would be funny if Max did some Eminem full speed flow for one of his raps and steamrollered over any possible audience reaction to the punchlines.

beepo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 25, 2022

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pylons posted:

I remember when sexual misconduct allegations came out against Tony Khan and they announced he would appear on Dynamite that same day, and when he came out to the ring the people in the crowd were bowing to him.

These weirdos remind me of the guy that tweeted that he views Elon Musk as working class and the local school board as ruling elites. Just insane "analysis" to get to the conclusion that the stuff I like is good and the stuff I don't like is evil and bad.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ganso Bomb posted:

Most of these twitter freaks also have a problem with Bryce, but you're right that they don't see to have a problem with the other refs you mentioned. I wonder what the common denominator between Aubrey and Bryce is...

It's so obvious that these guys start from the premise of AEW=bad and then figure out the reasons later. It's easy to come up with arguments that sound somewhat reasonable when taken in a vacuum, but fall apart on even the most basic level of analysis. A referee stealing the spotlight can definitely be bad, but is there any proof that actual viewers are turned off by Aubrey's officiating or that Aubrey "steals the spotlight" more than other refs that people don't complain about? Nope. No selling in the wrong situation can hurt a match, but was DT vs Elite any "less realistic" than other multiman spotfest matches and did it turn off the audience? Not really.

It's the same deal with people that consistently harp on every single booking choice. It's not booking malpractice or "unrealistic" that a story progresses in a different way than how you fantasy booked it. Every online goofball seems to have their pet issues that they are sure shows how a promotion is objectively wrong in their booking, but since they all seem to find different issues (and often take contradictory stances from the other goofballs), how can these critiques be important if even the haters don't agree on or observe the same problems? I remember some guy that was ranting and raving about Moxley not immediately trying to get a rematch against MJF and how it is completely ruining Mox's character, but I didn't hear anyone else make this complaint, even from the out and out anti-AEW trolls, so how badly could it actually be ruining Mox?

I wish people would understand that something can not be to your particular taste without it having to be objectively "bad."

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
He's right, I cheer heels because this guy is bad at making jokes

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Tony had to sell his soul to Satan to get some more pops after he ran out. This is obviously sad news and a sad commentary on modern society

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
If reddit points mattered in any way, it would be easy to clean up right now just by starting every comment in their wrestling subs with "I wanted to like AEW, but..."

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The JFK assassination, the moon landing, 9-11, and now Elimination Chamber 2023. These are those special moments in time we will never forget where we were when they happened.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Will anyone care about laddergate in a week? Every little thing gets picked apart so much (especially elsewhere on the internet), you'd think Hobbs had his career potential cut short because the refs were briefly shown holding the ladder steady while the camera focused on Hobbs being the badass winner standing extra tall in front of a hot crowd.

beepo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 2, 2023

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Much like there is no rule preventing a horse from kicking fieldgoals, there is no rule preventing referees from holding up a ladder.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

lol I saw that post today. I keep getting temp banned there for making fun of these guys so I let it slide, but drat these guys need to find something else to do with their time.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
https://twitter.com/avbiswas/status/1634045103667855361?t=mKuCvoy94ezQtijUd1CQqw&s=19

The appropriate time to have run each match from this upcoming week's Dynamite would have been either last week or at least the week after next, but definitely not Wednesday.

We will only be able to determine the right matches to have run on this week's Dynamite once they release the card for the following weeks show and we can identify all the matches TK is botching by running at the objectively wrong time.

beepo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 10, 2023

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Two great professional wrestlers? Like two wrestlers... that have really great matches? They're going to have a match on Wednesday?

I’m just trying to understand here.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The Tribalistic AEW fans at Rolling Stone have gone too far.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I vaguely recall someone getting busted open in an after match beatdown angle or whatever a year or so ago, but 98% of the time Dark doesn't have blood on the show.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

JUNGLE BOY posted:

This made me laugh real hard. I checked his profile to see if he was talking about himself as the manager of a drat gas station and he was :(

Someone let him know that a gas station manager is higher up than wrestling news aggregator

That dude dreams of one day being a guy that posts insane stuff on LinkedIn. Someday he'll get there.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm shocked that Hangman hit a few less than perfect Buckshots in like 2015. Gonna have to put an asterisk next to his Champioship reign now.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Undertaker has a strong case as the most overrated guy in wrestling, and that doesn't even mean I think he was bad or whatever. It's just that the gap between the legend of the Undertaker and his actual level of performance is so big because so many people hold him as an almost mystical top legend of all time, but he is also one of the most protected guys in the business. Hogan is similar in being extremely protected, but people will at least admit his wrestling skills were limited and can take into account how his booking colored how he was seen. Undertaker's later run of Wrestlemanias that really built up his legend had the benefit of being against top level opponents, on the biggest stage, where they could pull out all the stops, use every gimmick, and have a year to recover (and a year to market you on how amazing the last match was and how important the streak was). There is a lot of revisionism that forgets that Undertaker had a lot of dud fueds and was secondary to the real top draws during the attitude era peak.

Credit goes to WWE for pulling it off, but lots of people could have become top stars if they had the WWE machine firmly behind them for 25 years.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Just so I have it straight, Tony is laundering money by overpaying wrestlers from money already in his businesses bank accounts and then is somehow getting the money back. If he didn't get the money back in the end, there would be no point to the laundering.

If AEW salaries were being paid out from Tony's illicit funds(?) from his illegal activities(?) in actual cash payments or from mysterious untraceable sources, basically anything but AEW's official bank accounts, it would be an extremely obvious red flag any auditor or investigator would look into immediately and blow the laundering cover.

So Tony is laundering money that must already be in his business bank account (crime advice: laundering conceals the source of funds, so the transactions the laundering would have needed to cover would have already happened), by creating the "cover story" of paying it out as a deductible expense of his business and a taxable payment for each wrestler in on this devious plot.

Since the wrestlers also actually wrestle for the business and would need to actually be paid in order to bother wrestling for AEW, Tony would only be in effect "laundering" an overpayment portion of each wrestlers contract with this scheme. After reporting and paying taxes on their salary which creates the official legal "cover story", I'm assuming the wrestlers somehow send the net "laundered" overpayment back to Tony in a way that would somehow provide a credible cover story (no need to worry about the details of this step).

TK must be some incredibly inept criminal that didn't figure out that this "wrestler overpayment" scheme wouldn't actually succeed in any way, even theoretically and would require a massive list of co-conspirators, any of which could blow the whistle on the scheme at any time.

This post was an elaborate way to credit Cody for his steadfast loyalty to Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm personally upset about a wrestling talker on the internet so there must be equal and opposite guys that blindly love the wrestling talker, and those are the guys that should be made fun of. I'm normal.