Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

This, plus one of those links has Nyla Rose with a net worth of $5 million while the Bucks have a net worth of $1 million each. I don't know how net worth is calculated, but I would assume the Bucks are higher than most in AEW just with their merch game alone over the past 5-10 years.

Net worth articles for are pretty inaccurate, no idea what their formula is but it's an estimate using whatever public records they find (I imagine propetry value plays a large factor)

Maybe nyla inherited a house and the bucks have a bunch of debt, most likely though the numbers are just nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Jade probably shouldn't be on TV. She's extremely not ready & it's doing her a disservice: could easily turn fans on her regardless of how improved she is 2 years down the road.

good point, the wrestler with giant arms + washboard abs + 0% bodyfat should not be on camera

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Also not a take but AFAIK Red Velvet is just very dark Columbian. Her dad was a pretty famous South American boxer.

big if true. have you tracked down any skull measurements?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Someone just needs to tell Britt that she sometimes needs to say the quiet part loud.

ie: "Rosa's the only person in this company who has beaten me in (I think) a year, that terrifies me"

and all the other things they did suddenly work.

alternately put her on Cutler-cam and have Brandon make the sub-text text.

it's weird that the cocky villain character isn't giving lots of respect to her rivals, i agree. wonder why that is

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fart Radio posted:

the bar for cutting promos is so low that as long as you can read lines decently and have an intense quiet part and a LOUD PART there will be fans who think they've just seen the best promo ever

Those fans are right.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRG0I4Fm0yc

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
please don't punch down at the multimillionaire deadbeat dad whose father is the most powerful man in the world

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kvantum posted:

Whose mom and sister died in a car crash he survived, along with his brother Beau, who then died of cancer. It's kinda punching down, a little bit. Hunters a fuckup, no doubt, but would anyone go through that poo poo and be stable, even with their Dad as President?

after all that i guess he's earned the right to ignore his child support payments

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Looking for a big strong daddy figure to produce the tv show i watch

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Mark Henry was also an Olympic athlete and it took WWE like a decade to figure out how to book him properly and even that only lasted like what, a couple months?

to be fair early career mark henry sucked and mid career was them deliberately embarrassing him as much as possible in hopes that he'd ask to be let out from his huge contract

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

that guy is cool

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
pussy_sloppy

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
If you ever want to attract casual fans, you need to read things slowly.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 4, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

As someone who stopped watching wrestling as a youngun circa 2002 and came back to it in 2021 for AEW specifically(and have recruited a couple of other lapsed viewers who also love it), I never understand what about it was supposed to put me off. A lot of the things that get cited often by online weirds with axes to grind are things I found intriguing

There a certain type of fanboy that is just chasing the feeling they felt consuming a previous version of the product, which is obviously impossible. They hate everything new because they're deluded into thinking that feeling came purely from world of warcraft/star wars/etc. and not anything else going on in their lives at the time. Obviously any difference between the new thing and their idealized version is a flaw. You could give them exactly what they ask for and they'd still reject it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel posted:

How long until we get "AEW drove Jeff Hardy to drinking just like they did to Moxley!!!!!" takes

r/scjerk but that's probably cheating

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel posted:

I don't even really buy the original point of the Dumpster match being "the turning point in the war" considering WCW proceeded to beat them in the ratings for a full year after it happened.

congrats on getting the joke

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Venomous posted:

Why do people think Hangman's run was bad? The Danielson matches were great, the Cole matches were great, the Archer match kicked a ton of rear end, and he put Punk over so drat well in the end. Sure, the Dante match wasn't on the same level, but it was a sub-10 minute TV match, and he made Dante look great in the process.

I mean, of course, the answer is 'they're being deliberately disingenuous because they want to discredit AEW', but I do feel as though 'Hangman's run was bad' sounds absurd to anyone who actually watched it all the way through.
A true champion either gives the same 30 minute
opening promo every show or does a finisher on his boss at the end every show

Having good matches on a semi regular basis? That's not your champion that's a midcarder.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

that guy looks like sam hyde

check out the big brain on jungle boy

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

been saying myself that aew should never had tried to punch with god

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

got they're asses

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The_Rob posted:

So what exactly do the AEW sucks Twitter crew have against slapping in wrestling matches? They claim to hate overly choreographed flippy spots, but they also hate it when guys hit eachother too? Also it’s funny to mention austin vs rock when the rock has the worst punch in wrestling imo.

Real wrestling is when you cut backstage to people looking at a tv, then you cut back to the ring and there's a distraction rollup

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

I can't tell if Alfred is just a typical twitter grifter or legitimately one of those "You're not x enough to be x race" type of racists. I just know that a lot of black wrestling twitter absolutely can't stand him

Like most hot-take farmers he's evolved past the need for developing a belief system of any sort. He can no longer sense morality and only sees the world in terms of how much "engagement" things will bring him. His unconscious mind seeks out the hottest of takes which occur to him as if they were his true thoughts.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Viewers will be surprised to hear it's actually for reasons other than marrying the bosses daughter followed by the boss getting ousted for gross sexual misconduct (or as the interviewer calls it, "very good reasons"). Funny how there's so many coincidences in life.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
how about sports edutainment and after every match Chris Jericho turns to the hard cam and does a south park "see, I learned something today" monologue

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

The gently caress was I going to get out of watching even 12 seconds of some lovely val venis match

If you skip it you'll miss the run in and the rest of his feud with headbanger mosh won't make sense

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mrenda posted:

Imagine being such a simp for a wrestling business run by a billionaire that you stan for the billionaire's opinion being the one that counts instead of y'know, having personal pride and integrity in what you do, collecting a group of people around you who you do respect, having an understanding of the artform you profess to engage in and judging yourself according to that.

No. The billionaire is the one I should care about. He might give me money!

Sounds good. Hmm my electric bill is due, good thing they accept personal pride and integrity in lieu of a check for the balance owed.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 23, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mrenda posted:

He literally said, "The opinion that actually counts is your boss’s opinion." Maybe provide some general perspective around that, that there are other opinions, that there is trusting in yourself and those who've proven themselves trustworthy count too, and in some situations (maybe many in wrestling's case) the opinion of the person writing the cheque doesn't actually count?

I get that he's in AEW, and people mostly (haha) seem to like working in AEW, but there's a lot of wrestlers who aren't working in AEW. Or maybe I've misread the situation and the wrestling industry is a bastion of equity and fairness where people always have your best interest at heart and there are no slimeball promoters.

Edit: I can't belive that me lolling at an opinion of, "Your boss's opinion is the one that counts," resulted in cranky serious posting on Something Awful, of all places.

His point is that if you're getting paid every week then you're doing a good enough job, because the goal of a professional wrestler is to wrestle as their profession. And if someone who doesn't write your checks is saying mean things about you, you're under no obligation to listen to them.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel posted:

What do these people even think AEW does that differently from WWE at this point?

wrestlers watch the show backstage while looking away from the monitor at a 30° angle instead of the full 45°

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Other things I think need to go away are home runs, slam dunks, and touchdowns

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

the rolleyes emoji does kind of give the game away but he's not wrong

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pylons posted:

Those are literally not the lyrics and they said they wanted the theme as an entrance on BTE a year ago.

they got one word wrong and it was changing "done" to "gone". you're right, that changes the meaning entirely

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

How did you leave off the most brain dead take?

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1609909266013642752

What is up with AEW detractors and acting like wrestlers are being forced into things they obviously want to do. Like drat, Bryan missed the Tokyo Dome for the AEW debut in his home town? Tony's madness must be stopped.

Nothing funnier than wrestling watchers getting mad at a guaranteed great match.

Leslie is the furthest thing from a wwe drone but he must be a massive punk fan because ever since all out hes developed Bucks Derangement Syndrome.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I understand the match is set up to continue Bryan's road to MJF and I am not saying Nese is a terrible wrestler. That doesn't mean this isn't a poo poo underwhelming nothing match for Bryan's debut in Seattle. Apparently Tony didn't think giving Bryan a marque match in Seattle was important. That's fine but it's disappointing.

tf you on, its going to look good on tv and the crowd is going to go bonkers. just say what you mean and tell us how you could have fantasy booked it better had your dad been a billionaire.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

It's a crap uninspired match for Bryan's debut. You don't have to defend it to your dying breath.

Me posting about something twice: defending something until my dying breath

You making your second post about something: chill and laid back, not mad at all, and obviously correct of course

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MJeff posted:

If we're all taking it for granted that it's gonna be a great match because both Bryan and Nese are great wrestlers, I don't see what's so unreasonable about then asking, then why doesn't Nese win at all on TV?

He very good at the doing matches part of wrestling, but less good at connecting with a crowd, character work, etc. So hes best used as "enhancement talent" where he goes out and makes the other guy look great without loving up or upstaging them. Theres a reason he's gotten booked in so many debut matches.

If tv time wasn't such a limited resource I could see letting him win a couple but other stories are understandably a higher priority.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Alaois posted:

theyre right

yup. zero lies detected

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I love that as flawed as the Nitro book was, one of the interesting things it did was actually interview Jamie Kellner, who talked about actually being a wrestling fan growing up. This was a silly thing to say about a company that was losing so much money beforehand but how do people still believe this? (Also people in the WWF were sure they were going to buy the company before Kellner took over.)

https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1617858470954553345

there's episodes of wrestling observer radio from when the closure went down and that was the talking point at the time. dave would bring up the financial losses, bad demographics, toxic reputation due to both companies getting sexual/offensive to pop ratings, etc. but then say that the bottom line was that jamie kellner didn't like wrestling. i don't get it either but people still believe it because a lot of smart people kept repeating it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

OK, I'm an idiot white guy from an exceedingly white part of an exceedingly white country. Can someone clarify what this guy means when he talks about "foundational black Americans"? I assume he's talking about descendants of slaves & it's just being a oval office about other black people who migrated to America post 1865 but I'm not sure.

i don't know but neither does the person who posted it and they will just shift the definition to whatever fits the conclusion they've already decided on.