Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
More gems from the TNAsylum. http://www.tnasylum.com/2014/05/we-are-all-wrestlings-biggest-enemy.html

Time to finally get to the root of TNA's problems: the fans!

quote:

Only in pro wrestling do fans watch a program with such judgement and cynicism. Only in pro wrestling do we intentionally look for plot holes, logical gaps, and seek explanation of reoccurring or similar story lines.

Yup, all other shows have fanbases that are just positive about their fandom 100% of the time. And do you really have to "look" for logic gaps in TNA wrestling?

Other enemies include the English language:

quote:

This all lends to the "booking" sinkhole we all fall into. Again, someone needs to clearly define "good booking" because everyone, every single one of us, touts their mighty fists in the air proclaiming this golden diatribe against wrestling today with no - none whatsoever - substance at all.

On how ridiculous it is to find race as a factor in MVP's stable:

quote:

Anyone else find it insanely hilarious how many assume TNA was going for an all-black faction gimmick just because all three men are of color?

With that logic, is the Managerie an all-white faction gimmick? And with that said, how ridiculous is our logic?

If a stable had 100% of a promotion's white wrestlers in it and no one else, I think it might be seen by some as a racially motivated stable. Can't wait for Rampage or some more Bellator guys to join up with MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Guys I have a great plan to save Samoa Joe's TNA career. All we'll need is to travel back in time to 2006, plus $50,000 for expenses.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

Hey I'm terrible at translating Babinsack to English, but is his master plan for Samoa Joe almost literally how the One Man Gang became Akeem?

Yes, if Slick had tricked OMG to show up by promising there would be some free cake.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I peeped that new Babinsack on Seth Rollins today. For starters:

I just read this Babinsack article and need this translated into English:

quote:

Pointing out the brilliance of a great moment may overly hype the state of the industry, and we probably won’t be able to bank on the true success until the arena figures, PPV moneys (or whatever it is we call those events these days) and expectations of bigger Network buys all get reported. But learning from what looks to be a great creative decision may be helpful to the rest of the promotions. Then again, history shows that aping the 800 lb gorilla is the easiest way to coast to mediocrity.

I had that hunch, but for once in a blue moon, the WWE cooked up a response to tangled webs of one talent who’s run went horribly wrong, one faction that was hitting on all cylinders, one feud that obviously ran its course.

Timing, I would say, was a keystone of this moment. The feud with Evolution was one, and The Shield was victorious beyond belief. Actually, well beyond belief considering HHH on the other side. But with a summer of shows to fulfill and a feud that really, really couldn’t have shifted into a Wyatt Family reunion, something big had to happen. Maybe many figured Bray would be singing while Evolution burned to the ground, but something had to happen, and then.

What the gently caress is he talking about?

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Endorph posted:

Even ignoring how stupid his opinions are, Babinsack's writing reads like an alien trying and failing to emulate human language.

Whenever I read Babinsack's writing I'm reminded of Mark Twain's takedown of James Fenimore Cooper, where he says that a writer should "use the right word, not its second cousin," and "say what he is proposing to say, not merely come near it."

Babinsack will write a sentence like this:

quote:

By 2007, the WWE Cruiserweight Title went away, which in many ways was too bad, but considering the WWE, and their often inexplicable hold on logic, it was probably for the best.

Even ignoring his poor grammar, he doesn't mean what he says here: it's not the WWE's hold that's inexplicable, it's their logic. At least, I think that's what he's trying to say?

Then he'll have a sentence like this:

quote:

But in terms of drama and serialized entertainment, it creates opposition and emotion at a level where storytelling ensues.

Where he uses the wrong word about four times in an attempt to sound intelligent. He really is a precious gift.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Wait, why is putting Wrestlemania on NBC so out there? I mean Wrestlemania did air, albeit heavily abridged, on NBC last August, and did fine. I don't think Wrestlemania is the right choice, since Wrestlemania is really what sells the network, but putting something like Summerslam (or a SNME hyping Summerslam) on TV during the dead zone of a Saturday/Sunday in the summer against a bunch of Wipeout! re-runs or whatever seems like a pretty good idea, because otherwise it's hard to get out and reach people outside your Cable TV bubble.

Although that article is pretty terrible. I like the Masked Man fine, but he can sometimes come off like a first-year professor.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

First of all those reruns do abysmal ratings even for NBC. Second, they are just a remnant of the old contract and the Saturday Night's Main Event slots they were promised. Those bombed so badly they became the WM replay and Tribute to the Troops and have stuck around.

It's stupid hair-splitting because again, I am not endorsing Wrestlemania live on NBC, but no, that August show didn't do "abysmal" ratings. It was carried by pre-season football, but won the night in the 18-49 demo and finished second overall to the grandparents watching 60 minutes. I know that comes with the asterisk that it was in the dead zone of early August, but that's kind of my point; WWE could put something on broadcast TV during the summer doldrums and probably get some interest from people that aren't watching USA every week.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I'm not usually as critical as David Shoemaker's Grantland stuff as others on here, but Jesus is his article today a flying nothing. "WWE needs to make more stars. Here is a list of dudes." The vapid content wouldn't be so bad if the writing wasn't also really bad and dumb:

re: Cesaro:

quote:

He’s a darling of the wrestling Internet, and his popularity has been spreading over the past year. WWE seems to have found the right track for him — sort of a low-key variation on the Reigns rehabilitation campaign, in which Cesaro wrestles in good showcase matches and inches up the ladder at a pace steady enough to quiet WWE’s crankiest fans.

Kevin Owens:

quote:

But I don’t want to underestimate Owens. Hell, at the rate he’s selling T-shirts and making squash matches watchable, he could be the new Hulk Hogan.

CM Punk:

quote:

I’m totally kidding. Punk’s not coming back. But that you didn’t just close your browser window proves my point.

Dean Ambrose:

quote:

there’s no denying that Ambrose possesses a rare quality [Reigns and Rollins] both lack: pure star power. Although Ambrose seems listless at times in his midcard feuds, his move set borders on corny, and some of his promos lean on prop comedy to an unsettling degree, there’s no denying that when he’s standing alone in the ring with a microphone and real purpose, Ambrose captivates the crowd with an Austin/Rock level of charisma.

I mean, what even is this??

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

DeepDickPizza posted:

After the discussion on Shawn Stasiak, I decided to see what he's doing nowadays and uhhhhhhhhhhh...

quote:

Dr Shawn is the only second-generation wrestler of a world champion in WWE today.

Stardust, Goldust, Charlotte, and Stephanie are all children of world champs under WWE contract right this second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Here are some of my rules:

* lists one rule, explained over three paragraphs/sentences.

Okay, that's enough rules for now.