Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I mean, he's slightly taller...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

fatherofmustard posted:

There should be an NY64 for horrible wrestling social media accounts like Brad.

Narrowing it down to 64 would be nearly impossible

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dr. Baker posted:

Nyla Rose clapped back at that dude.

Nyla Rose is Very Good At Twitter.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, that was a bit yikes

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dragonshirt posted:

Can someone point to a good Nyla Rose match? Because I haven't enjoyed any of her AEW stuff.

Her matches in Marvelous are very good. It's not well shot, but her match against Chiyako Nagashima here is fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7XWH_znDw

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

the only wrestler i'd want to hang out with is orange cassidy because every other wrestler seems too intense

Genuinely the people in wrestling I most want to hang out with are Bryce Remsburg and Sarah Shockey.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Hang on, number 2 in the rankings is Nyla Rose.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Wait, I see my mistake. "North American" was a synonym for "white". I bet Shanna and Bea Priestley would be written off as Portuguese and New Zealand "North Americans"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

extradite THIS! posted:

In response to that tweet about TJP's Reddit post about how WWE wrestlers are directed:

https://twitter.com/Yeah_Nuh/status/1204347552809664512?s=20

An all-time idiotic pro wrestling take. Holy loving poo poo I'm going to die what absolute drivel

No, I see his point. He definitely knows more about pro wrestling than someone who was trained in the LA Inoki Dojo in the same cohort as Rocky Romero and Bryan Danielson.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

haunted bong posted:

haha i used to post on a forum with that dude back in the early 2000s when he still "wrestled" and lets just say his brain was already addled long before his career took off

and boy did it take off. He had 18 whole matches! https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=15301&page=4

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Basically WWE like a lot of newbie creative writers, can't tell the difference between "story" and "stuff happening"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Spikegal posted:

AEW really feels like it's taking all the right lessons from what made Nitro good while leaving the bad by the floor. It's giving people who are nostalgic what they think they remember the product being, not what it actually was.

I remember the Chuckie T line about this being one of the first generations of wrestlers who grew up as fans of the product (not sure it's entirely true, but I get what he was saying). Which means we get wrestling made by people who know what good wrestling looks like.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 17, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

I don't really see how "guy fights guy because they don't like each other" is remotely what the WWE does though?

the problem is that WWE's attitude to story and character development are "some stuff happens and some people do things", which are executed in inconsistent and poorly developed ways because things get chopped and changed at so much. This leads some people to have a reaction of "just let them wrestle", which is the wrong lesson to take from it.

Wrestling only works with story and character development, but story and character development has to involve things happening and those things having consequence. The slow burn on Adam Page is a perfect example of a character driven story that makes sense. Page failed to gain the world title at All Out so he's started to doubt himself. He thinks that he's the weak link in the Elite and doesn't really think he belongs any more. This has led to a run of tag matches where he's gone into business for himself, in one case stealing a pin and in another hitting his partner by mistake and then fighting with him after the match. And when his friends were in trouble at the end of the show... he didn't turn up. The slowly growing sense of alienation is right now the most interesting thing about Adam Page for me. It goes way beyond "This guy doesnt like that guy,and they fight" while retaining consistency and having characters behave as true to themselves.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Oh good lord

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1206385186218369024

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The name of that top Patreon tier, holy poo poo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Bucks did a shirt with #FTRR on it that grew out of a mostly jokey rivalry with The Revival (they wanted to do a "gently caress The Revival shirt and this got nixed) and some people interpret it as being about Roman Reigns for some reason.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

David Starr continuing his run of being really good at Twitter.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Sorry for the weird resolution

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Look at who had to look up "Oligarch"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

What's this about Cosby and Murphy?

They have a match at the next Saudi show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

From a fb group I'm in. Someone managed to find a way to make me hate the idea of New Japan and AEW working together.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Really wanna see Ospreay/Omega though

Golden Lovers v Tana & Ospreay from road to Tokyo Dome last year is still one of my favourite tag matches of all time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

DDP but it stands for Diamond Double Penetration

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Buff Bagwell but his gimmick is literally exactly the same.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The problem isn't that wait and see booking never works. The problem is that wait and see booking never works in WWE. For long term booking to be effective you have to have:

A unified creative vision
A stable talent pool (no major churn in who is available)
Willingness to do things now that are designed to pay off later.

The only one of these that WWE has is a stable talent pool, and even that's only a "kinda". Their unified creative vision is the caprice of an elderly racist, and they have been known to set things up at the beginning of a show that they have abandoned by the end of that show.

There is no comparison between this and, say, Gedo's booking of NJPW. There's certainly no comparison between this and Mike Quackenbush's booking of Chikara, where he once shut down the company for a year in pursuit of an angle. Of course, the pressures on WWE to deliver a weekly product are different, but it does reduce how much I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Even if they had a thoughtful and nuanced end to their current story planned, all it would take would be Vince having indigestion one Monday morning for the whole thing to be scrapped.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Which would be fantastic if there weren't currently four other people with the lights out gimmick.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"real" or not rarely comes up for people I talk to, but "believable" does. For example (to pick a complaint I personally don't agree with) I've heard some people have reservations about Riho as women's champ because of a disparity of build between her and, say, Kris Statlander, or because they don't think her strikes look hard hitting enough. This makes it tougher for them to suspend disbelief, despite appreciating her skills and athleticism.

(I disagree because I like Riho a lot, but it's at least a coherent objection much as I don't share it)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Redundant posted:

You can't make a comment like this and then not post the gif!

https://youtu.be/rTizPJj23QY

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pinche Rudo posted:

If you took an MRI of that guy's brain would it look more like jelly or still have some solid matter and the consistency of a strawberry preserve?

a perfect, gently throbbing, sphere of plasma.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I can't imagine a world where someone has bought a ticket because of something Corbin did. I CAN imagine a world where someone changed a channel, but only to get away from him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

But it all worked out for the good because they were bringing in new talent to refresh everyone's interest. Like... Lars Sullivan.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The inability of some people to understand the difference between "That guy sucks, I want to see {wrestler} throw him through a table!" and "That guy sucks, I want {company} to fire him" will never cease to amaze me.

Like, right now, MJF has nuclear heat in AEW. People really, REALLY want to see Cody kick the poo poo out of him. Which means he's doing his job well. People will tune in, buy tickets, purchase PPVs to see him get his rear end kicked.

Brandi has no heat. People don't want to see the Nightmare Collective get their comeuppance. They just... don't want to see the Nightmare Collective.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

STD wrestling

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

On a cruiseship somewhere Ortiz just asked Santana to hide a spray can for him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

same guy two hours before that

https://twitter.com/ShootNameJustin/status/1219824094159372290

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dustin Rhodes once had a match with Blacktop Bully in the flatbed of a moving truck https://youtu.be/r77868CA-DE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't they both get fired for blading during such a stupid loving match?

You can even see that it was shot at all different times of the day if you pay attention to the sky.

Holy poo poo, you're right. Which means that this match may have been ultimately responsible for Goldust.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Complaining about Marko being small is so weird because, like... yes, that's his character. He's the little guy in the weird misfits group. He's little and laughable, and then he's kicked you in the dick and run away and you look like an idiot for underestimating him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

They should still be on the boat, yes.

Instead Cody showed that he's smart by enlisting the Bucks to come help him because he knew that MJF would get arrogant and because he's a babyface and has friends and they look out for each other like friends do, thus getting everybody involved over, giving the audience what they want and moving the story forward organically all in one relatively short segment.

And advanced the story without damaging anyone in the story.

So many of the AEW stories would have been burned through in a month or less on WWE. Page and Omega would have tagged for one week, maybe two, before Hangman turned on him, and they'd have the blowoff match the week after that. I like seeing a story breathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

coconono posted:

That's not even close to how the 1st amendment works.

It is correct in saying that if AEW plays a "don't be a dick, here's the rules" video and people ignore it, get bounced out of the show, then AEW has done all they can do.

I dunno if the people chanting got bounced or not, that's the key part here.

The promotion also have the option of banning the people involved, if they want to get more hardcore about it.

I remmeber a few years ago there was a Fight Club Pro show in Wolverhampton where a bunch of drunk idiots were chanting "get your tits out for the lads" at Millie McKenzie (who was 17 at the time, not that it would be acceptable if she had been older). Fight Club Pro didn't just chuck them out, they banned them from attending their shows. If I remember correctly Riptide heard about it and pre-emptively banned them too.