Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
TNAMecca on fire tonight

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

epitasis posted:

any tnamecca thoughts on Styles saying he turned TNA down recently?

idk but i'm sure it will be bitter as hell

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The thing is, they can promote it on Destination America all they want. The problem is that the channel is in basically half the homes of Spike, and I'm sure there's a lot of people that have it and have never even switched to it. Fat lot of good it does you then.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I just switched to Destination America and it was some cheesy Haunting show and then THERE WAS THE SPOT OMG!!!! New boom period!!! /nomdeplume

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
New article on TNA Asylum:

quote:

Moving to Fridays Will Not Affect Impact Wrestling

By Dave Gilbert

By now I am sure you all know that Impact will begin airing on Destination America every Friday beginning January 16 from 9-11 PM EST. Some fans and critics feel that moving to Friday nights is a bad move for the company, with that time slot being described as the ‘Friday night death slot’.

The theory is that people would rather go out and do other things instead of staying in and watching TV on a Friday night. Proponents of the theory point to many TV shows being moved to Friday nights after delivering poor ratings, with those shows ultimately being cancelled. Shows such as Prison Break, Vanished, Raising Hope, Touch and Utopia were all shifted to Friday night time slots and were eventually cancelled.

In 2005, the UPN network moved WWE Smackdown from Thursdays to Fridays following poor ratings and according to Wikipedia, UPN also moved Star Trek: Enterprise to Friday nights at the start of its fourth and final season in 2004. The show was pre-empted many times that season and suffered low ratings, with many choosing to watch the weekend replays instead. Ugly Betty, Firefly and Moonlight also suffered cancellations after being shunted to the ‘death slot’.

However, it’s not all doom and gloom when it comes to TV ratings on a Friday night. Recently, CBS' Ghost Whisperer ran successfully for five seasons on a Friday. Other shows such as Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Perfect Strangers, Full House and Family Matters ran for multiple years on a Friday.

That brings me to my point. It’s easy to think that Impact is starting at a disadvantage or that Destination America is not showing much faith in their new program, but I think that would give TNA and supporters of that position an excuse. If Impact’s ratings are poor, then it will be far too easy to say that it’s because of the lousy time slot.

Here’s the truth – If TNA produce compelling, exciting and ‘can’t miss’ television, then people will watch it, no matter what day the show is aired.

I didn’t watch Breaking Bad when it was first on, but I have since watched the whole series and believe it’s some of the best TV ever produced. If Breaking Bad aired on a Friday, I would have preferred to stay in and watch it than go out, but that might just be me. Good TV makes that decision tricky; bad TV makes it easy. It’s up to TNA to decide what kind of TV they produce.

Now, don’t forget DVR ratings. The way we watch television has changed dramatically over the years, and networks do pay attention to the ratings generated by people who DVR the show and watch it at a later date.

From How Stuff Works:
Most networks use Nielsen’s Live Plus service to track ratings. Live Plus looks at who watched shows on their DVRs within different time frames. Generally, it tracks three major categories: Live-Plus-Same-Day, Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven. Each one looks at a broader time frame, so Live-Plus-Same-Day looks not only at who was watching when the show aired, but also who watched the show that day and the next. Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven track who watched within three and seven days of the original airing, respectively. When Nielsen first rolled out its Live Plus service, network executives were uncertain, but it’s become an industry standard.

I think the ‘Friday night death slot’ theory is rather old-fashioned. I think it applies more to a time where the only real way to watch a show was to catch it live. Now, we can DVR the show or watch it on streaming services. Networks realize this, and although strong ratings during the live broadcast is the preference, I don’t think having a show on a Friday night is as much of a death sentence as it once was.

Again, it’s up to TNA to make people stand up and take notice of their product. It needs to be fresh, exciting and more importantly, it needs to get people talking. Viewers and fans of the show need to be telling their friends who might have never watched wrestling that they need to check out a show called Impact Wrestling on Destination America. There’s nothing stopping TNA from making this happen – let’s just hope they do.

Hmmmmm....

Now have a look at this image of Smackdown ratings in 2005:

The first Friday Night Show was on September 9th (it was supposed to be in August but a little thing called Hurricane Katrina delayed it). The 3.0 for November 18th was the Eddie Guerrero Memorial Smackdown. The pattern above shows a clear drop-off in ratings after they moved to Friday. Before July 25, the pattern was mostly 2.9 and above and never below. You can say "it can take a while for people to know it's on a new day" but those people never came back.

But moving to Friday's on a lesser Network won't affect Impact.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 16, 2014

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

WeaponX posted:

but let's ignore the time a wrestling show was negatively affected by a move to Friday night and compare impact to sitcoms on basic cable channels from 10-25 years ago. if Sabrina can do it, tna can!

why can't they just be mad at something destination america does? what loyalty to they have to them at this point??

WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LIKE? THEY'RE PROMOTING TNA MORE THAN SPIKE EVER DID!!!

DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY DISCOVERY FAMILY

(they are probably viewed as the saviors of TNA)

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah a topic of conversation real people have: "Oh yeah I saw this TNA promo and I'm totally going to watch it now"

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I think MetsFan4Ever poo poo can firmly be put in this thread.

His latest posting could be his best work yet:

quote:

News coming out of Corpus Christi, TX today is that many officially heading into WrestleMania season, many superstars are greatly divided on who should actually win the Rumble match. There are many on the side of Roman Reigns and those who are believe he is the future and next John Cena of the company. There are also others that feel Daniel Bryan should be the guy and that if he isn't we will see another disappointing ending to the Rumble match much like last year.

There are officials in the company who believe letting Daniel Bryan win and main event the biggest show of the year is a huge risk considering his past injury history. There are those that feel Bryan truly is a "B" level player and will never be truly at the top of the card because of his past injuries and his long-term future still in question.

I was also told that about 45-minutes ago Triple H held a talent meeting stating that they are not sure who is going to win the Rumble match and main event WrestleMania. He challenged all the Superstars in the next couple of weeks. They will be evaluated and then in a few weeks they will decide who should get the opportunity.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
And we're spinning and spinning even when the numbers appear to be okay

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
New Japan King of Sports

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
But Chris, I thought the ratings didn't matter?

Which is it?

Chris?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Well they also live in this bubble where they think everyone hates TNA because it's TNA and not because the shows suck.

"TNA is good, people just can't see past the three letters!" - What Dixie probably actually thinks

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Steal this advice Dixie

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
"I heard word that John Cena." - MetsFan4Ever

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
smh i didnt read the op thanks oat

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 10, 2015

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
well i'll be darn tootin

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it the gaming thing?

He just quit. He even put over TNA in the Tweet. This will not matter to the Mecca.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Brock's talking to Dana about everything obviously. Just can't say he is or sign anything.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yes but it wasn't HHH's NXT so it doesn't count OKAY

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
TNAMecca watches ROH

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I'm dead

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Because saying it's a different promotion is factually incorrect. It's not really up for debate. Smackdown from 2002-2011 was not a different promotion either. And neither was WWE's ECW.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sticklefifer posted:

Counterpoint: who gives a poo poo

Apparently you

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
So, TNA have moved the planned EC3-Angle match for the PPV to a TV taping and it has started tons of tension in Meccaland.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
i bought oatgan's house

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

duyarvish posted:

The perks of being a part of the cbs family

Also apparently TNA did not get promoted enough on Destination America (despite DA essentially becoming the Impact channel last January for a while)

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 22, 2015

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The guy who did his fair share of high school sports before going into pro wrestling?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sleepwalkers posted:

It always goes really well when you try to plan it

The original one was planned! Just ask WWE!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
WWE fan Twitter is basically wwemecca now

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

post hole digger posted:

Collision is the big boy show

look at the adjective

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
destroying my competition by giving them millions of dollars in revenue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

El Generico posted:

The standard for "legend" should be higher than Al Snow

Actually the standard for "legend" should be higher than Billy Gunn too, although Billy Gunn is at at least three Al Snows in legend value

What about Leif Cassidy