Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
To be fair, they didn't know whether I was good or not. I never got a chance to touch a controller for SFIV. The place I'm talking about is a place where they have a bunch of tvs and consoles set up. It isn't an arcade.

Houston arcade scene is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

teagone posted:

The recent big USF4 event in Texas didn't pay out the winners what they were told (was $40k in winnings) and ended up closing shop. Maybe the Texan FGC is poo poo. Condolences. :(

lol that's the tournament I went to. It was conveniently located and was pretty cool so it sucks that it was actually a fraud!!!!

e: the people at the arcade I went to in Dallas were really nice so it sucks that the dudes in Houston were dicks

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 21, 2015

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I just had an amazing training session with Trykt.

I'm Daniel, he's Mr. Miyagi.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

Where are you located? If you're in the bay area, I'll get together and play with you; it would be fun to play games with people that I don't work with.

Where do people play SF4 in the bay area? I just moved here.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Churn the butter at Folsom street foundry, every week.

Join us at gamecenter/whatever we call it now for Guilty too.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Pomp posted:

it's myungcenter

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

giogadi posted:

Where do people play SF4 in the bay area? I just moved here.

I'm in the Sunnyvale/Santa Clara area and can't really stomach an hour commute up to The City for games, so I'm mostly playing at my office with people in my office, or at my house with people in my house. But if you're nearby and not an internet murderer I can probably play at your house, and if you adhere to common standards of cleanliness, decency, and hygiene (and also aren't massively allergic to cats) then you can probably play games at my house.

The game center is also an option, and I really do need to start going there more than never because an hour commute is a lot but a half hour commute is way more manageable.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

:stare:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I really like how some normals get extra juggle properties when you anti air with them.

http://gfycat.com/SadLongArchaeocete

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey I've been really jonesing to play this again lately. Wanna make my Akuma good before everyone jumps ship to SF5. Would love to play some extended sets with peeps that ping well to East coast USA. Hit me up on Steam or IRC!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Trykt posted:

Hey I've been really jonesing to play this again lately. Wanna make my Akuma good before everyone jumps ship to SF5. Would love to play some extended sets with peeps that ping well to East coast USA. Hit me up on Steam or IRC!

I'll play you Trykt, UK to USE is usually fine, though I've been away so long I am probably total garbage by this point.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Trykt posted:

I'm on the east coast. I'll be free for some matches tonight. Steam is ManSeriesSA.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How do you deal with grapplers as Abel? I mean I get that Tornado Throw is grab-immune but otherwise I'm even having trouble against Hakan.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Thanks Trykt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65aTTmIU9U

I know I have it in me to beat him some day if I keep going. Almost got his Bison, but I flubbed it. Still, I feel good I could even get that far against someone who placed in the top 64 at EVO for USFIV.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Himuro posted:

against someone who placed in the top 64 at EVO for USFIV.
trykt feelin himself again

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Himuro posted:

someone who placed in the top 64 at EVO for USFIV.

Does Trykt have another alias like Apple/Bananaken?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Anyone want to play on PC right at this moment?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/camsteh

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Manoueverable posted:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nah, the dude I'm fighting in that vid placed in top 64. We go for long sets that last hours. Often spanning game numbers in the 60-70's. Trykt explaining what meaties are the other day and many of his combos have helped me a lot. I've also practiced my rekka 50 times before playing so I can bust them out at any time. Trykt and I concentrated on damage I shouldn't be taking. It's helping a lot, and while I can't beat my teacher yet, it's helping me beat everyone else.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 25, 2015

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

A Lame rear end Dad

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Himuro posted:

Nah, the dude I'm fighting in that vid placed in top 64
I don't wanna be That Guy but I just did a quick skim of EVO results and he didn't make it out of pools.

Did he tell you he was top 64? :coal:

edit: apparently he made it in 2014 so good for him!!

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 25, 2015

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

How do you deal with grapplers as Abel? I mean I get that Tornado Throw is grab-immune but otherwise I'm even having trouble against Hakan.
It depends on the grappler.

The Hakan matchup is hard to play for Abel and probably in Hakan's favor. It's pretty much about adding risks to Hakan's dives because they're stupid good against Abel wakeup. Use delay wakeup. Also don't let him get oil, you have poo poo with lots of range.

Not so very sure about the details of Zangi and Hawk matchups. Probably backdash more, you get a nice punish from stepkick after a backdash if they whiff SPD. Much better than gambling on a tornado throw when you're on the defensive. Against Hawk you want to air to air, probably with HP. Zangi sweep is punishable with stepkick to combo, so is Hawk sweep. Find some good punishes for condor dive and lariat.

I guess Hugo exists too, no idea how that matchup works because I've never played it. I guess get your punishes straight (who would have guessed) and stepkick a lot. Be sure to neutral jump attack to combo when he does the rear end overhead to discourage him from ever using that stupid move again.

To be honest what I do against 97% of online grapplers is just safejump forever and then they'll reversal themselves to death on wakeup. So finding some tech is probably a good idea too.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

I'm in the Sunnyvale/Santa Clara area and can't really stomach an hour commute up to The City for games, so I'm mostly playing at my office with people in my office, or at my house with people in my house. But if you're nearby and not an internet murderer I can probably play at your house, and if you adhere to common standards of cleanliness, decency, and hygiene (and also aren't massively allergic to cats) then you can probably play games at my house.

The game center is also an option, and I really do need to start going there more than never because an hour commute is a lot but a half hour commute is way more manageable.

Thanks, I'm in the city so that'd be a long way for me. I work in MTV so maybe after work sometime.

Pomp posted:

This gamecenter was super hard to Google; is it the one in Belmont? Anyone have current details on when it's open etc?

I should try to pop in for churn the butter sometime though. Are there any lovely SF players there like me?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I'm not Banana Ken but he did buy me this sick avatar!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

giogadi posted:

This gamecenter was super hard to Google; is it the one in Belmont? Anyone have current details on when it's open etc?

I should try to pop in for churn the butter sometime though. Are there any lovely SF players there like me?

Sent you a PM with gamecenter details (I'm in Sacramento, so I only make it out there on occasion)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mountain view ave, Belmont is correct, yeah. Friday casuals may or may not be a thing right now, since we just moved buildings.

There's a large skill spread at CTB, in my experience, but there's also little time for casuals. Plenty else to do though.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mike Ross was right.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Are all those Decapres from Infiltration loving around? Doesn't feel like I've seen her that much.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Zingih posted:

I guess Hugo exists too, no idea how that matchup works because I've never played it. I guess get your punishes straight (who would have guessed) and stepkick a lot. Be sure to neutral jump attack to combo when he does the rear end overhead to discourage him from ever using that stupid move again.

To be honest what I do against 97% of online grapplers is just safejump forever and then they'll reversal themselves to death on wakeup. So finding some tech is probably a good idea too.

Hugo has a ton of reach on his normals you also have to watch out for. I'd also watch the safejumping against Hugo because his backbreaker can punish it if you're not careful and the EX version has no startup.

Though I don't think he can do a normal backbreaker on wakeup, so watch for the moonsault or jabs.

Jueg01 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 30, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

I'm guessing Bonchan is a huge outlier and goes to a lot of tournaments?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

I'm guessing Bonchan is a huge outlier and goes to a lot of tournaments?

I posted the original data on the GDT thread - it's not just Bonchan, there's Ryan Hart and other Sagat mains, plus counterpicks and all. He does make up something around 8 to 13 of those Sagats.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

lamentable dustman posted:

Are all those Decapres from Infiltration loving around? Doesn't feel like I've seen her that much.

nukledu, nemo used her vs kazunoko in some tourney, etc

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Uryo also has an amazing Decapre.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Doesn't Ryan Hart also break out Decapre occasionally, or am I imagining things?

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Jueg01 posted:

Hugo has a ton of reach on his normals you also have to watch out for. I'd also watch the safejumping against Hugo because his backbreaker can punish it if you're not careful and the EX version has no startup.

Though I don't think he can do a normal backbreaker on wakeup, so watch for the moonsault or jabs.

Wait... do you mean because normal BB has startup/no invincibility, or you mean there's some reason he literally can't?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Goodpart posted:

Uryo also has an amazing Decapre.

Rip sakura

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Pretty much

He used Chun at Topanga and he's apparently "working on" a Decapre at Shinjuku South. Dunno why but it's really really good :confused:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I know nothing about high level play; why are there no E. Honda's?

Also, lol that my three best characters are literally the bottom three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I know nothing about high level play; why are there no E. Honda's?

Also, lol that my three best characters are literally the bottom three.

E.Honda is buttcheeks (I think he gets wrecked by every "top 10" character, really, and he's very vulnerable to counterpicks) and never really had much representation in tournaments past Super. The only three Honda players of any relevance in the scene have: become a personality; switched from bottom to top tier so fast they got hit with that whiplash; and kinda made the change to Decapre but not really also not playing that much anymore.

• Locked thread