Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
All those Sagats that aren't Bonchan or Ryan Hart are people trying to counterpick Snake Eyez (or Itabashi) thinking it's a bad matchup still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Opposing viewpoint, Honda is fine in Ultra but there's never been a compelling reason for players to switch mains to or pocket a character who's honest, has obnoxious execution (all hands characters are underrepresented) and doesn't do particularly well against anyone.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
piano inputs are good

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Remove ochio whiff animation and let him store it again, we'll get some Honda mains back

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
allow chun-li to store her super like in st

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

General Morden posted:

allow chun-li to store her super like in st

Seconded.

How did that work, anyway? Did you just hold the button and release it for the activation?

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Seconded.

How did that work, anyway? Did you just hold the button and release it for the activation?

You just do the directional inputs and hold the last forward direction for as long as you want. When you press kick the super comes out.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'm feelin' good because I just got a 5-win streak with Hugo, mostly because now I can actually trigger his Gigas Breaker Ultra Combo.

Now if I can only fire off Megaton Press reliably, THEN I'm can start getting Hugo's proper combos going.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
regarding Reiketsu vs Infexious recently at dreamhack:
Is the Poison V Hugo matchup supposed to be that much easier than the Vega/Hugo matchup? The Hugo matchup as Vega is pretty much a guaranteed win if played well IMO. I still lose it sometimes to people who are significantly better than me, but I am not Reiketsu. You have to gently caress up pretty badly to lose.

I mean I know Hugo also has trouble with fireball pressure but jeez, I figured the dude who got to top8 (maybe 16? IDK) at evo dressed as Claw would stick with his main.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Vega is not that bad for Hugo compared to Poison who can do nothing but throw fierce fireball and Hugo literally can't ever jump over it and press a button without getting hit.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Foodahn posted:

regarding Reiketsu vs Infexious recently at dreamhack:
Is the Poison V Hugo matchup supposed to be that much easier than the Vega/Hugo matchup? The Hugo matchup as Vega is pretty much a guaranteed win if played well IMO. I still lose it sometimes to people who are significantly better than me, but I am not Reiketsu. You have to gently caress up pretty badly to lose.

I mean I know Hugo also has trouble with fireball pressure but jeez, I figured the dude who got to top8 (maybe 16? IDK) at evo dressed as Claw would stick with his main.

It might be a player concern more than a matchup concern. Maybe Infexious trains with a Vega, or maybe he bodied a Vega really bad earlier in the tournament.

Then again, maybe that's just how Reiketsu handles the Hugo matchup. I'm in a similar situation myself. Rose v Hugo is totally in Rose's favor, but if I know I'm fighting Hugo I'll switch to Chun to make it slightly more in my favor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Vega is not that bad for Hugo compared to Poison who can do nothing but throw fierce fireball and Hugo literally can't ever jump over it and press a button without getting hit.

Vega vs Hugo is one of my favorite match-ups.
Pretty much all you need to do is to have good spacing and use st.hk and st.mk.
I only even get wrecked my Hugo's who are clearly way better players than me.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
If Hugo can knock off (and even camp) Vega's claw, then it's very much in Hugo's favor.

But as long Vega has it, he has more reach than Hugo does. I haven't seen many Hugo v Poison matchups to say how much Hugo should fare.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Honestly with all these changes to Street Fighter, capcom needs to introduce split-screen multiplayer for the series.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

A.o.D. posted:

Doesn't Ryan Hart also break out Decapre occasionally, or am I imagining things?

He does but his Decapre is bad*

*but not as bad as ISDD Decapre

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jack Trades posted:

Vega vs Hugo is one of my favorite match-ups.
Pretty much all you need to do is to have good spacing and use st.hk and st.mk.
I only even get wrecked my Hugo's who are clearly way better players than me.

Even reiketsu wouldn't pick his Vega against Infexious Hugo. Vega gets knocked down even once and he flat out loses the round.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Spuckuk posted:

Vega gets knocked down even once and he flat out loses the round.

And water is wet. Maybe 4 characters out of 40 don't automatically win the round if you knock Vega down. The point was; it's odd to see a dude use his secondary character against his mains best matchup.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Reiketsu played him in a few money matches before the tournament and got bodied as vega so that's why he used Poison. Either Infexious knows the matchup and Reiketsu doesn't, or there was something that made him really uncomfortable and he wanted to use Poison instead

Rose handles Hugo ok in theory but I don't like the matchup at all and I just use Sagat instead because it's a lot easier. Hugo doesn't really have to respect Rose that much but Sagat he does

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Even reiketsu wouldn't pick his Vega against Infexious Hugo. Vega gets knocked down even once and he flat out loses the round.

LifeOfAVega.txt

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I'm not sure I'd want to be playing a character who pokes you for a potential 50 damage, but opens himself up to getting clapped into meterless 400 damage into knockdown for doing so.

Hugo is pretty good, but I've only ever played 2 people who could use him. You can't jump in on him unless he has no meter and you have a jump-in that does 2 hits to beat the elbow, you can't whiff punish claps because they recover so fast, you don't want to try to keep him out with normals because of the risk of counter-hit claps. He has hard match-ups though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, playing a lot of Bison and having to keep track of charge attacks has got me wondering - if I back throw or get back thrown by somebody, at what point have the characters officially crossed over each other? The first frame of the throw? The last?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I have a weird opinion on Hugo, because I kept playing Gouken, and that poo poo feels unfair because of MP.Hado. As long as you pay attention to the spacing so you have enough room to recover and EX.Tatsu the Lariat, I'm not sure what his options are. Conversely, I still find the Gief matchup for Gouken terrifying, because Green Hand is A Thing.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to be playing a character who pokes you for a potential 50 damage, but opens himself up to getting clapped into meterless 400 damage into knockdown for doing so.

Hugo is pretty good, but I've only ever played 2 people who could use him. You can't jump in on him unless he has no meter and you have a jump-in that does 2 hits to beat the elbow, you can't whiff punish claps because they recover so fast, you don't want to try to keep him out with normals because of the risk of counter-hit claps. He has hard match-ups though.

I've played against Infexious a few times and it is honest to god terrifying. You keep him out for the whole round then die incredibly fast. His jab string alone is nearly 200 damage.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have tips for absolute bread and butter Fei Long? There are comprehensive guides out there like this one:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/75362?threads/how-to-not-suck-at-fei-long-an-advanced-fei-long-guide.75362/

I just need to reduce the scope of that a lot. I'm been using cr. HP and st. MP as pokes, LP rekka at max range as a poke (thought I can't hit confirm it yet), and as punishes either rekka chains or st. HP xx DP.

I really need a simple hit confirm with him, and a good anti-air normal for when I can't make DP fast enough. A basic gameplan would be great but it would have to be simple.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have tips for absolute bread and butter Fei Long? There are comprehensive guides out there like this one:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/75362?threads/how-to-not-suck-at-fei-long-an-advanced-fei-long-guide.75362/

I just need to reduce the scope of that a lot. I'm been using cr. HP and st. MP as pokes, LP rekka at max range as a poke (thought I can't hit confirm it yet), and as punishes either rekka chains or st. HP xx DP.

I really need a simple hit confirm with him, and a good anti-air normal for when I can't make DP fast enough. A basic gameplan would be great but it would have to be simple.

st.HK is great for beating crossup attempts, st.HP will do decently against jumpins from further out.

His basic gameplan is to (whiff) punish everything with rekkas to push the opponent into the corner, then keep them there at a range where they can't easily jump out, punishing everything they try until they hate life.

cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk, cr.lp x rekkas should work on almost all of the cast at point blank range

cr.lk, cr.mp, cr.lp x rekkas is a one frame link but more reliable

st.hp x rekkas to punish and push to the corner

st.hp x mk flamekick FADC mk chicken wing, Ultra 1 if you have the bar/ultra

edit: Oh, and remember cr.mp links into itsself, and can be cancelled into super

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have tips for absolute bread and butter Fei Long?
HELLO

Most of what Spuckuk said is correct so I won't add much.

As an outright punish clHP xx rekkas and clHP xx heavy DP are your go tos, but you need to be cognisant of your screen position. Rekkas are most useful when corner carry is necessary, whereas heavy DP is best for outright damage.

If you can't make DP fast enough, you aren't going to be able to play Fei. His DP is 5 frames and it's the fastest AA he has. stHK is a great normal but it's 10 frames with no invincibility. stHP is also good in a pinch, but any range at which you can hit stHP, you can hit either stHK or DP. Having said that, stLP is actually a legit AA option against characters with variable jump arcs.

crLK crMP crLP xx rekkas isn't a very good combo. It requires a 1 frame link and a 2 frame link in the same combo, which at your stage probably isn't a good idea. The better option is to shorten the hitconfirm and go with crLK stLP crLP xx rekkas. Works on most of the cast. crLK crLP crLK crLP xx rekkas is legit, though. Once you get that down, you could even practice crLK clHP xx rekkas.

Reason the above two light hitconfirms are useful are because you get to use Fei's option selects. crLK crHP~LP is great, and against characters that option select doesn't work on, crLK LP rekka does (it comes out as a stLP if the crLK connects).

Also learn how to use clMP as a frametrap: it's an incredibly strong normal that you can link to crLP xx rekkas on hit, and keeps you at +3 on block.

Best air normals are jMK (crossup), jLK (more ambiguous crossup but with less damage/hitstun), jMP (best overall jump in, weird hitbox, avoids DPs), and and jHK (fireball punish, great way to sit at odd ranges and bait DPs). njHK is also ridiculous because it has a hitbox on the other side, so it's excellent against opponents who have linear specials (up to and including Fei himself!)

Your basic gameplan is to establish a range that is most effective in removing the opponent's options (varies from character to character) and then use Fei's tools to get into, and hold that range. eg. there's no point in trying to play mid range whiff punishing against Sim, so use EX CW against fireballs, medium CW in neutral, EX rekka etc to get right in his face and use his close normals to ruin Sim's life. Conversely, you never want to be close to Gief unless it's a punish situation, so sit at midrange, bully with crHP, crMP and whiff punish EVERYTHING with a crLP/stLP buffered into a heavy rekka.

It'll depend, and you need to lab each character's offensive options to know where that range is. It's the #1 reason why people THINK Fei is a simple and easy character but is actually a very complex one: most characters don't have to modify their optimal range as much as Fei does. He doesn't have the tools to bully and dictate the fight like he used to, so you have to play far smarter.

He struggles against characters who get raw punishes off all rekkas regardless of spacing (Elena, Cody, Vega) and characters who can sit back and out-lame him (Bison, Guile, Balrog) but does well against the rest.

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 5, 2015

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

^^Smart stuff, listen to him.

The only reason I didn't mention the st.lp combos, is that it only works on these characters crouching.

Abel, Balrog, Bison, Dee Jay, Dudley, Fei, Fuerte, Gen, Gouken, Guile, Guy, Hakan, Hugo, Makoto, Poison, Rolento, Sagat, Seth, T.Hawk, Vega Zangief

Notably that list excludes Shotos and Elena who you'll see a lot of at any level of play (the Elena matchup in general is just incredibly hard.)

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
The reason I shorten the hitconfirm to crLK stLP crLP xx rekkas is because it doesn't whiff on as many crouching opponents if you're hitting it point blank.

Unfortunately Fei's BNBs are often character specific. Abel Balrog and Cammy, for instance, have no legs and his crLP often whiffs against them

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks guys. Should I even worry about trying to hitconfirm light rekka into the chain at this point? The crLP xx rekka is also surprising hard at this point, I get it about 75% of the time in training mode.

I am getting better at whiff punishing with the rekka chain. That much corner carry feels super good.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Short answer yes

Long answer yes but if you can't even get lp xx rekka down yet then you've got more work to do there

Reason it's important to practice three rekkas is because they become less safe with each one done, so you need to learn to confirm them as much as you do actually doing them. Set the CPU to random block and walk in and out of max range of LP rekka, poking away with them. If it hits, do two more heavy rekkas. If it's blocked, leave it at the first light.

From there move on to delayed rekkas. You can do LP rekka into the second, leaving a small gap to frametrap the opponent. If you know you've spaced the first rekka improperly it's not a bad gamble to take so long as you're not predictable about it.

But yeah, do the thing. 75% accuracy on a basic cancel that is your bread and butter isn't gonna help you any.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Lesson learned:

If a character you really like just isn't working, experiment. You may find your footing.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
tell that to humanbomb

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What's a good pocket sub if I main Abel? I'm still working on him, just wondering if there's another character I can use on problematic matchups.

Juri and Cody seem alright. Ibuki's got cool tools as well.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Ibuki is less of a character and more of a script you run and get a win sometimes.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

When I was looking around for someone to cover Abel's bad matchups, Fei Long stuck out at me on paper. He's good against the twins and decent against Akuma, Cammy, Rufus and grapplers. Depends on who's giving you trouble as Abel though, I guess. I'm sure other better players can give you better advice, though.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Drove down to Capcom Cup yesterday. Was my first event, and it was ridiculous. Sat behind Filipino Champ and Ricky Ortiz as they were taking side bets on the matches. Got to meet a good amount of folks too. Dieminion is a cool dude, btw.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 7, 2015

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Wow i hope someday i get to meet a big time celebrity like that

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
A veritable who's who of E-Sports athletes.
It's just fun to see and interact with these people you watch play a videogame, and even more so when they aren't up their own rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played against this lag-switching Honda just now.
http://imgur.com/a/n7wUZ
The dude keeps the game at something like 5 frames a second and has a script or something that invites you to a bunch of groups while you play.

It's so adorable I don't even want to decline the invites. :allears:

• Locked thread